Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 2,133Posts
    • 13,216Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 19/09/2018: 1168.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 32!
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 43
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 29th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 13,216 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry about your cousin Ssg. I am going to phone them tomorrow. My payout is up to 38 now! Glad you got syour email.
    Originally posted by arsenalbarnie
    Thanks arsenalbarnie - Hope You get your cash as well!

That's very sad news about your cousin .

Enjoy the film, the book was really excellent .

You could do your Barbara Currie dvd at home, you have the option to do just ten minutes a day.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Hairy - I've just got home from the cinema - my friend and I both really enjoyed it - such a lovely film.

The ten minutes yoga session a day is a good idea - can I really do it?!!!!!

It was freezing when we were walking to the car park from the cinema! It felt like winter was back!

I had a bit of a result! DD is taking me for away the weekend next month as a birthday present. She's been rather busy at work lately and asked me to book the hotel and she would reimburse me. So I used trivago to get the best rate which was Expedia. I got 10% off as I'm an Expedia member, but the best thing was that Expedia was giving a special rate of 15% if you went through topcashback so I received 52.14! I'll knock it off the Expedia bill.

Going back to the powder compact saga, I found the Clinique compact that I had before on their website. With the powder it was over 152! The compact that I lost was originally a present but I didn't realise it was this much! Plus the new version has Clinique written all over it! I like the look of the Clinique anti shine powder that Sun Addict recommended (hadn't seen it before so thank you for the tip). The compact it was in looked nice as well. I received some House of Fraser vouchers for my birthday from the work desk and also my friend which I was going to keep back for my more expensive make up so will use up some of these for the powder.

Things on for next week:

Monday - out in the evening with my friend for drinks;
    Wednesday - off work as at theatre with DSis,
    Thursday - nails,
    Friday - off work as having new front door fitted.

So busy week and then three days off for the Bank Holiday weekend!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 29th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 6,127 Posts
    • 41,381 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear about your cousin. I lost one of mine last year and it really gives you a wake up call.

Glad you like the look of the Clinique compact, it lasts ages so worth the money. It's a recent addition to their collection and one I would definitely buy again. I love my beauty products and have tried lots of stuff. Can recommend the beauty boxes as a way of trying before you buy.

Sounds like a good week ahead for you - enjoy
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 1st May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 13,355 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    So sorry to hear about your cousin . I hope you enjoyed your night out last night with your friend . What are you watching at the theatre this time ? It's not Tina Turner time is it already ?

Hope the door fitting goes well , and you get a little sunshine on your days off.
    CC1 221 /3718
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    That sounds like a great week - really good to hear x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 2nd May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 13,355 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope the theatre trip was a success , and you had a good time with DSIS .
    CC1 221 /3718
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 13,216 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry to hear about your cousin. I lost one of mine last year and it really gives you a wake up call.

Glad you like the look of the Clinique compact, it lasts ages so worth the money. It's a recent addition to their collection and one I would definitely buy again. I love my beauty products and have tried lots of stuff. Can recommend the beauty boxes as a way of trying before you buy.

Sounds like a good week ahead for you - enjoy
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Thanks SA and thanks again for the tip. I tried the anti shine when I was in HoF the other lunchtime and thought it would suit me very well as I have combination skin. I didn't buy it then as I didn't have my vouchers with me but will def get it next week.

So sorry to hear about your cousin . I hope you enjoyed your night out last night with your friend . What are you watching at the theatre this time ? It's not Tina Turner time is it already ?

Hope the door fitting goes well , and you get a little sunshine on your days off.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    That sounds like a great week - really good to hear x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thanks Cumbria and brizzle.

The show wasn't the Tina Turner - that's later this month. This one was 42nd Street - it was great - the standard of dancing was so good and it was a fantastic spectacle (apart from Lulu who really had a very off night and couldn't hit her notes). Both me and DSis loved it! Has a tasty meal afterwards so all in all a very enjoyable day.

Including the above I've had a very busy week - work has been manic again and I've been rushing to catch up as I've had two days off this week.

Monday evening I was out with my friend in the evening - she very kindly wouldn't let me pay for drinks as she said that was my birthday present. I liked the look of her microbladed eyebrows - they didn't look overdone - I was seriously thinking of it myself as mine seem to be disappearing fast....... Oh stop it Seasidegal!!!!!!. Any way didn't get in till 11pm which is much too late for me in a work week!

Wednesday was theatre day and yesterday evening I went and voted and then had my nails done - friend popped in afterwards - so another late night.

Today I've been off work as new front door was being fitted - but I already had the funds put away for that - 410. I've got to get it painted now though.

Did some more sorting out of the clothes and also decided to be even more ruthless with the summer shoes. I'd already put one pair of sandals in the dress agency but decided to take another three pairs as I faced up to the fact that they were too high and I wasn't wearing them!

Prolific has been very quiet since my payout - only up to 4.45 at the moment.

This weekend will be meeting up with friends on Bank Holiday Monday - weather is forecast to be hot so looking forward to this and another three days off work!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 34,515 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It sounds like you've had a great but busy week SSG
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 6,127 Posts
    • 41,381 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you've had such a fab week. Hope the Bank Holiday is a good one for you
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 13,216 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    It sounds like you've had a great but busy week SSG
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad you've had such a fab week. Hope the Bank Holiday is a good one for you
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Thanks to both of you! It's been a great week, but I don't think I could hack the busyness of it all anymore all during work week on a regular basis! I get too tired. I feel asleep on the sofa this afternoon after the carpenter had gone!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 13,355 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hello SSG hope it's being busy that's kept you away and nothing else.

I agree I can't be busy all week in the evenings anymore it wipes me out. Even being out for the day at weekend , means I need a quiet day the day after.

Enjoy the sunshine today x
    CC1 221 /3718
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope your week has been more sedate

We have sunshine here....rather nice start to the day , hope its the same for you x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 30,917 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hello, I'm back from travels and on a catch up. So sorry to hear about your cousin. Another reminder to enjoy the time we have. Re the compact purchase, do you ever go through tcb and use click and collect?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 74,121.52, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 307.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 860/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,894 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi Seaside, just wanted to stop by to say hello. I've been reading your whole diary over the last couple of weeks and finally finished! I think it's inspiring to see you so dedicated to giving yourself a good retirement, while still enjoying yourself

Although I'm still a fair bit away from retirement, it keeps reminding me that i need to get my head around the whole concept of pensions. I've spent the last 8 years or so paying into one, but with no idea of what any of it actually means. So, this year will be the year that I sort it!

Hope you've had a nice week. Jo
    CC1: 4481.14/ 5031.14 (12% paid off, 600) | CC2:3307/ 3807 (14.4% paid off, 550) | Loan: 10,528.20/ 15,792.30((33% paid off, 5,264))

July debt total: 24,630.44 | New debt total: 18,316.34 | Total debt paid: 6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Echoed. Hope youre having a good week x
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 13,216 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hello SSG hope it's being busy that's kept you away and nothing else.

I agree I can't be busy all week in the evenings anymore it wipes me out. Even being out for the day at weekend , means I need a quiet day the day after.

Enjoy the sunshine today x
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Hope your week has been more sedate

We have sunshine here....rather nice start to the day , hope its the same for you x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Hello, I'm back from travels and on a catch up. So sorry to hear about your cousin. Another reminder to enjoy the time we have. Re the compact purchase, do you ever go through tcb and use click and collect?
    Originally posted by in need of direction

I'm finally back! Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! Been having a bit of a mare at work and also with my ipad again so have been off the boards for a bit.

Glad to see you are back inod - must catch up on your diary. I haven't used the click and collect yet on tcb - that's something I should look into. I have paid for my compact via HoF gift card- would I still get the tcb cashback for this?

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2,133 Posts
    • 13,216 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Seaside, just wanted to stop by to say hello. I've been reading your whole diary over the last couple of weeks and finally finished! I think it's inspiring to see you so dedicated to giving yourself a good retirement, while still enjoying yourself

Although I'm still a fair bit away from retirement, it keeps reminding me that i need to get my head around the whole concept of pensions. I've spent the last 8 years or so paying into one, but with no idea of what any of it actually means. So, this year will be the year that I sort it!

Hope you've had a nice week. Jo
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Hi there JoJo! So pleased to hear that you've enjoyed my diary. Funnily enough your own is one that I've been meaning to read as I've read your posts on other diaries so I will make a point of popping over and getting down to it!

It's such a good idea to get to grips with your pension now rather than later like me! The posters on the Pensions board are really helpful and knowledgeable too if you have any problems. I've finally confirmed with one of my pension providers that my transfer from them to my workplace pension will take place at the end of next week! So two down now and one to go! It's seems to have been going on forever!

I've not updated my diary for over a week now! Work has been absolutely draining and debilitating. I am finding that things done via the new systems at work seem to take twice as long as before and we keep having problems with it. I've been working some late nights and have basically been getting at home and having early nights. I've also had a complete breakdown when it comes to food. Haven't been making my lunches and hitting Pret (also for coffees). Also takeaways in the evening for dinner! I MUST get back on the MSE wagon!

I'm also rather scared on getting on the scales as I'm sure I've put on weight!

Accordingly, at least I haven't been spending on going out. Apart from food expenditure above, extra spends have been flowers for my cousin's funeral and a few taxis from the station in the evenings.

I've topped up my more expensive make-up (including the nice Clinique compact - thank you SA!) with my HoF gift cards and still have about 35 left.

Nothing at all on PA but tbh I haven't been checking it enough due to lack of time and effort. Still waiting for my Opinium cheque!

I've got my nails tonight and on Saturday my friend is having a "Royal Wedding Soiree" at her home so we can all watch it and have nibbles and drinks!

Signing off for now as I'm in work and got to get back to the ball and chain! Will catch up with diaries tonight.

SSG x

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th May 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 13,355 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Glad to see you posting, sorry to hear work is a bit bothersome at the minute , I can certainly identify with that.

I am going to a Royal Wedding afternoon tea on Saturday, the soir!e sounds very agreeable.

Have a good few days , hope things calm down work wise .
    CC1 221 /3718
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 34,515 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope work becomes less exhausting, it's very frustrating when new systems work worse than previous ones .

Don't beat yourself up about your eating, it's really hard to be good when you're tired out and under stress. You'll be able to eat better when things calm down at work.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 30,917 Thanks
    in need of direction
    you still get cashback when you pay by voucher
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 74,121.52, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 307.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 860/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th May 18, 6:02 AM
    • 6,127 Posts
    • 41,381 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I was just about to ask you if you'd bought the Clinique compact. I got a Rimmel version of it from Savers today for just 3.48. The compact itself isn't a patch on the Clinique one (no mirror) but I'm willing to give it a try for the vast price difference. Will let you know how I get on with it.
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,070Users online

Martin's Twitter