Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 2,002Posts
    • 12,294Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 23/06/2018: 665.09
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 35
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Can't believe we are nearly at Mother's Day. You will have a great time with DD , I hope the weather doesn't put paid to your plans. Virgin west coast doesn't seem to have suffered as far as Preston. Not sure whether DD is west or east.

How are you feeling now ?

Any plans for the weekend ?
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Can't believe we are nearly at Mother's Day. You will have a great time with DD , I hope the weather doesn't put paid to your plans. Virgin west coast doesn't seem to have suffered as far as Preston. Not sure whether DD is west or east.

How are you feeling now ?

Any plans for the weekend ?
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Hi Cumbria - Im crossing my fingers that the weather improves for my journey next Friday. Im travelling up via Virgin East Coast and theyve had some problems in the past week.

Im feeling nearly back to normal today - though still got a bit of a cough and a blocked nose! I went back to work yesterday - the journey wasnt too bad as the snow was still powdery to walk on and the trains on my line were running ok. The office though seemed half full as people commuting in from outside London that dont use my line were still having problems - quite a few including my boss, I think live in Narnia and cant get to their stations as the roads were still blocked! Walking home from the station in the evening was harder as I have to walk up a steep hill and the wind was absolutely icy - I felt like Napoleon during the retreat from Moscow. I was shattered after my first day back, had some dinner and went to bed!

This afternoon I ventured out to get some supplies - it felt less cold and the snow seems to have melted quite a bit. Hopefully this will be the last of it.

So nothing planned for the weekend - as Im still coughing Im not doing Pilates and my friend is nervous of driving in this sort of weather so were not venturing to the cinema. Nice quiet weekend!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 3rd Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 10,806 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Makes sense to stay in and give yourself time to recover.

Our village is known as little Narnia locally, we get snowed in and five minutes down the road it is clear.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Safe your energy for next weekend , i think the weather will be fine by then.
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Makes sense to stay in and give yourself time to recover.

Our village is known as little Narnia locally, we get snowed in and five minutes down the road it is clear.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    My boss says the same about where he lives redo. Mind you he did make me laugh yesterday when he phoned in from home. He said he had been shovelling snow but had to stop because of his bad back. I told this to one of the guys in work that he is mates with and he said the boss had posted pictures on FB of him supervising while his wife and sons shovelled the snow ! I think the bad back was a ruse!

Safe your energy for next weekend , i think the weather will be fine by then.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Hi Cumbria - heres hoping - otherwise therell be lots of cancelled Mothers Day lunches!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 4th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 7,267 Posts
    • 35,710 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Know what you mean about retreat from Russia...what did the Czar say "January and February are my best generals'? or something like that..its been bitter.

Chickens gave me an egg on Friday though which I thought was pretty good of them! Stocked up the bird feeders too - must be tough on the wildlife.

Hope East Coast is sorted next week. I think I should be OK getting in tomorrow but may leave extra time and take a larger flask of coffee...
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 25/500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi brizzle - well done on your "girls'" egg donation! What a nice surprise!

Hopefully my journey to DD's on Friday will be fine as we've had teeming rain all afternoon which has dissolved all the snow apart from a few little piles here and there. The snowman on the communal lawn has also shrunk enormously as well! I'd still brew up the thermos flask though tomorrow brizzle just in case!

So stayed indoors today - finished the ironing, have sandwich to make for tomorrow's lunch (cheese and marmite I think) and yesterday's chili later for dinner.

I bought some ankle boots from Marisota today as I needed some for casual wear so in keeping with the new season's style for cowboy boots, I bought two pairs in the sale (one black pair and one tan), plus I had a 20% discount code. They're not really cowboy boots but have that nice wooden stacked heel that you see on cowboy boots and they will go nice with skinnies. So I spent just over 44 but this was within the clothes budget.

Can't believe the weekend has nearly gone but enjoy what's left of it everyone!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 10,806 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That is a good price on the boots.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi redo - yes very pleased with the price! Hope they look good!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Do you think you will be seeing Tina Turner story in the west end ? I would love to see it
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 5,854 Posts
    • 38,647 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    All signs of snow gone here too. Boots sound a fab bargain. Have a wonderful week xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Yes I am Cumbria - in May!

My lovely, lovely DSis and OH bought me a ticket for a Christmas present. DSis is going as well and treating me to a meal afterwards. Can't wait as I love Tina Turner - saw her live years ago in the 80s so this will be the next best thing!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    All signs of snow gone here too. Boots sound a fab bargain. Have a wonderful week xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Thanks SA - back to normal then next week hopefully with the weather. It looks like a soggy time this week!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Oh how wonderful , will look at tickets this week for myself and friend .
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 4th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi SSG
    Glad you are feeling better after getting the Debt Free Diaries Dreaded Lurgy - it's amazing the power of the internet, isn't it?

We didn't get snow here till late Thursday and most had gone by Saturday although it snowed a little in the evening when we came out of the theatre.

I have been feeding the birds although the squirrels haven't been seen for the last three weeks. I have really noticed that I haven't needed to put out so much food out for them.

I don't know if you remember I went to a classical concert last month but bought the wrong ticket? Well I went to that concert yesterday and really enjoyed it again.

The programme was the Elgar Cello Concerto, Holst's Planets Suite and Walton's Johannesburg Overture. Cantamus Girls Choir sang too. It was a marvelous evening. Again amateurs but my, they were so good.

I hope your new boots arrive to prevent potential footrot caused by the impending floods.

Take it easy, get yourself fully fit and ready for next weekend
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 29,464 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Glad you're back firing on all cylinders. We had tickets to the stranglers for yesterday but it's been postponed until April due to the weather.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,268.93, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 247.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,731 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad you've recovered from your lurgy SSG. It's great that your sidetable and fridge freezer have arrived and what a bargain on the boots .

I'm trying to catch up on diaries but reading for too long gives me a headache .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 6th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Hope your feeling loads better Seaside
    Cashback Earnings YTD 46.04 Survey Earnings YTD 182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi SSG
    Glad you are feeling better after getting the Debt Free Diaries Dreaded Lurgy - it's amazing the power of the internet, isn't it?

We didn't get snow here till late Thursday and most had gone by Saturday although it snowed a little in the evening when we came out of the theatre.

I have been feeding the birds although the squirrels haven't been seen for the last three weeks. I have really noticed that I haven't needed to put out so much food out for them.

I don't know if you remember I went to a classical concert last month but bought the wrong ticket? Well I went to that concert yesterday and really enjoyed it again.

The programme was the Elgar Cello Concerto, Holst's Planets Suite and Walton's Johannesburg Overture. Cantamus Girls Choir sang too. It was a marvelous evening. Again amateurs but my, they were so good.

I hope your new boots arrive to prevent potential footrot caused by the impending floods.

Take it easy, get yourself fully fit and ready for next weekend
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline

Hi there Pauline - good to see you posting again. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the concert. It's amazing what a wonderful performance amateurs can give isn't it. And the tickets are a lot cheaper too!

Glad you're back firing on all cylinders. We had tickets to the stranglers for yesterday but it's been postponed until April due to the weather.
    Originally posted by in need of direction

Wow inod - that's a rave from the grave for me! Remember seeing them with the ex-Mr SSG - c.1980 that would have been! Sorry to hear it was postponed though - won't be too long now

I'm glad you've recovered from your lurgy SSG. It's great that your sidetable and fridge freezer have arrived and what a bargain on the boots .

I'm trying to catch up on diaries but reading for too long gives me a headache .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor

Thanks Hairy - though I don't think I was half as ill as you were! Take it easy with the reading! I've tried on the boots and they're very comfortable so a good call I think.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 12,294 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope your feeling loads better Seaside
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland

Thanks very much Scott. All ok now apart from the odd little cough! I'm still trundling on with the surveys - stuck at 16.76 with PA though have gone up to 18.40 with Opinium (have to get to 24 before payout here).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin