Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,921Posts
    • 11,767Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Hereís to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months Ė I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look itís called ďScrimping Behind the Scenes Ė with Debt of £31,000!Ē (sorry, I canít manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I donít have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see Ė which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employerís final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employerís company scheme and both they and I pay into this Ė though again itís not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a ďpeopleĒ clear out.Ē

Iím rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my ďEmergency Fund.Ē It currently stands at £3,000- but I would like to see it at £10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with £1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have £10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have £26.90 left spending money and £18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again Ė interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
Page 34
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounds like a lovely weekend
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks everyone!

YPleased to say I might be doing Pilates soon, always wanted to try it, we might have someone to do a class at work every week.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I think youíd enjoy it SA - the stretching would help offset the muscle contractions in the gym.

I felt absolutely washed out when I got home last night - ate my ďeating out of the freezerĒ dinner (fish fingers, cauli rice and green rice), watched some TV and was in bed by 8.30pm!

Tonight had the same for dinner as last night - finished the fish fingers, cauli and green rice from freezer.

First pension transfer docs have gone off to works provider to arrange transfer and theyíre sending me the forms for the other two plans.

Nothing much on this week, only nails tomorrow evening and will check to see if thereís anything worth watching at pictures over the weekend.

One good thing - Iíve started to get a few PA surveys through so have got just over £20 to come plus £8.75 from topcashback. So will put this towards the fridge/freezer deficit.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 10,802 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    When I saw the physio today , she recommended I do Pilates as well as the gym/swimming. There are
    Pilates sessions at work so I will be investigating when I return.

Hope you aren't as tired today .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope your feeling a lot more comfortable this evening Cumbria. How lucky to have Pilates sessions available at work - SA might be getting some soon as well.

Feel a lot livelier tonight! The extra hours snoozing last night appears to have done the trick!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 10,802 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    We have yoga onsite as well . Mindfulness and a listening ear service , physio once a week but the wait time for him is quite lengthy . Very lucky really .

Glad the extra snooze time worked x
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thatís great to have all those things onsite! We have access to a counselling service but physical wise all we have is a rather expensive private gym next door that is, so I hear, always packed out at lunchtimes and early evenings.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    PA seems to be finally picking up on the survey front. Since my payout the other day Iíve earned just over £6. Others are still plodding away, though Opinium is now up to £16.40.

Also picked up £15 from the dress agency today - this was my final payment so have cleared my card now.

I had my nails done on Wednesday and monthly pedicure today. Have downloaded some music from iTunes as well. Nothing much else going on - iíve got Pilates tomorrow and also meeting my friend for a coffee.

Have a good evening everyone!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    PA is odd, I've had nothing at all last week - although I had one day with lots a few weeks ago. I mostly get an error message now.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 18th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 7,022 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Ss, I think Iím goung to follow your lead with the pedicure as my poor feet are neglected.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Feb 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    PA is odd, I've had nothing at all last week - although I had one day with lots a few weeks ago. I mostly get an error message now.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I know - I was getting error messages for a few weeks and itís just spluttered into life again.

Hi Ss, I think Iím goung to follow your lead with the pedicure as my poor feet are neglected.
    Originally posted by Munchin
    As well as making your feet look nice itís such a nice pampering experience Munchin. I always find it extra worthwhile during the summer months when I tend to live in sandals. The dry skin then builds up and the salon gets rid of it much better than I can even with my little Scholl machine!

I had a really enjoyable day today. My friend and I were just going to have a coffee but it was such a lovely sunny day we ended up down on the seafront wrapped up with our shades on and had lager and chips sitting outside the pub!

This week is going to be busy at work - boss is back from his week off and has quite a few ideas he wants to get on with. Iím off work though on Tuesday as the new fridge/freezer and side table are being delivered.

Iíve got my hair appointment on Wednesday evening and on Thursday evening Iím off after work to visit an exhibition on my own - following on from one of my resolutions to start doing things independently like I used to.

Looking forward to the new series of ďHomelandĒ tonight!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds like you had a lovely day today. It was sunny here too despite starting off foggy.

Have a great week xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 18th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 10,802 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Your day sounded very nice , sunshine how lovely. I thought about you today , booked to see the film Finding your Feet for a week on Saturday, my first outing in a long time.

I was going back to work Wednesday SSG but I am hoping for tomorrow, depends on the doctor.

Thank you for your lovely messages these past weeks.
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 18th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 28,777 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I too want to see finding your feet but probably won't make it.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,897.72, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £227.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 24th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 10,802 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Morning SSG , you have been quiet this week, hope you are ok and not succumbed to any illness ?
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 27th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 10,802 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope all ok ?
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 28th Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi Cumbria - thanks so much for checking in. I succumbed to the dreaded lurgy thatís been going around. It started last Wednesday but really hit me last weekend - Iíve been off work since Monday and just starting to feel Iím back in the land of the living! Iím still coughing a bit and will see what I feel like tomorrow morning as to whether I attempt to go in. We had quite a bit of snow here which is unusual for Seasideville and itís quite thick. Still had a few snow showers today. Luckily I ordered my monthly Tesco shop at the end of last week which was delivered at the weekend so at least Iíve had supplies, though not really had much of an appetite.

Because of the lurgy I cancelled my exhibition trip last week and also the cinema last Sunday. I was due to go out for the day with DD tomorrow but have cancelled - the weather doesnít actually lend itself to travelling at the moment anyway.

The bright spot is that I havenít spent much since last Saturday!

So not much has been going on at all to report - my new fridge/freeer and side table arrived and Iím really pleased with them. Iíve got to sort out a new front door now so will probably try and get around to that next week some time.

PA surveys have bucked up - Iím up to £16 so far.

Also last week a colleague got me into a new paying quiz game on my phone called HQ. Itís a trivia quiz and you download the app then thereís usually a quiz twice a day at 3pm and 9pm - itís UK based but pays out in dollars if you are a winner. Itís up to c40,000 players now. You get 12 trivia questions and you have three answers you can choose for each question - you only get 10seconds to answer each so no time to cheat and try to google it.! You then get eliminated if you give the wrong answer. The payout is usually $750 and at the end any one left shares the prize though youíre lucky if thereís 30 players left by then. On Sunday evenings the prize goes up to about $7000.

Anyway itís passed the time while Iíve been laid up.

Iím going to give my eyes a rest now and will catch up with diaries later. Enjoy the rest of the evening everyone.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 28th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 10,802 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Oh sorry to hear you have the lurgy , I didn't give it you did I ? Look after yourself and don't rush back into work.

It seems strange seeing London with so much snow , you are better at home. To be fair my bit of Manchester has been very lucky so far. We have had some snow but it's not been to disruptive, it's just freezing.

Your shopping came at the right time , good thing as well.

You can go out with DD when weather is better .

Take care and be kind to yourself x
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 10,073 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sorry to see you have been ill, there is so much of it about at the moment.

I like the sound of the quiz thing.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you're starting to feel better. Hope the snow's not too bad your way.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 1st Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 11,767 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Oh sorry to hear you have the lurgy , I didn't give it you did I ? Look after yourself and don't rush back into work.

It seems strange seeing London with so much snow , you are better at home. To be fair my bit of Manchester has been very lucky so far. We have had some snow but it's not been to disruptive, it's just freezing.

Your shopping came at the right time , good thing as well.

You can go out with DD when weather is better .

Take care and be kind to yourself x
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria for those kind words. I do hope though that there isnít a virtual lurgy going around the boards!

Sorry to see you have been ill, there is so much of it about at the moment.

I like the sound of the quiz thing.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks redo - the quiz is rather addictive. The initial questions are very easy and then they throw some real obscure posers in there. Still you do have a one in three chance of answering each one so a lucky guess isnít out of the equation. One night I got eliminated on question 4 but followed the quiz till the end and answered all the rest correctlly The highest Iíve got to so far on a quiz is question 6. And I was so busy reading diaries this afternoon that I missed the 3pm session!

Glad you're starting to feel better. Hope the snow's not too bad your way.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Hi SA - snow is still thick here but no more flurries since earlier on today. Though weíre supposed to have some more tomorrow - just as I go back to work. . I always think of 1st March as the first day of spring - how weird is this weather?

Looking at the diary for March Iím up to DDís for Motherís Day weekend (train tickets bought already), but havenít anything else in particular booked in. To be honest this weather isnít conducive to making you feel like planning anything soon!

Other spends - itís DSisís OHís birthday this month - which is usually a cash present - and a couple of other birthday cards to get as well.

I mentioned before about sorting out my new front door - I have the cash for that and once thatís done I can concentrate fully on saving for the new kitchen.

Have a good evening everyone!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin