Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,988Posts
    • 12,254Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 23/06/2018: 665.09
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 26
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,718 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I aim to eat 1500 calories a day and go for a 30 minute brisk walk every day. I lost two stone doing that and didn't feel hungry all tbe time .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 3rd Jan 18, 11:40 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    I would agree with doing that Hairy or say just drop down to 1750 cals and make sure its a clean 1750 cals. Downloading myfitnesspal onto your phone and setting it for a particular amount of cals is safer than dropping into starvation mode.

Too me ie bodybuilder speaking starving yourself two days is stupid and must !!!!!! up your metabolism.
    Cashback Earnings YTD 46.04 Survey Earnings YTD 182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 4th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    JWPopps
    That's really interesting Scott - my GP recommended the 5:2 to me! I told him I'd try it but I also thought it was a strange thing to have recommended by a health professional...
    Mortgage: 86,182.17
    Credit Card Debt: 1,702.42
    Loan Debt: 5,306.47
    Savings: 600.00

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 4th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    The 5-2 diet is the latest fad diet, (sorry to gate crash your diary seaside) but if you think of it this way we have a recommended daily calorie intake as men and women for 2 reasons. 1 to ensure we get adequate vitamins and minerals from our diet to stay health and secondly to sustain all our organs keep us working etc, i dont think off 500 cals many people would meet the percentages required for there daily vits and mineral intake.

Re losing weight a small drop in cals and a slight uplift in exercise is the best way too lose weight. A female friend at work has lost 2 stone in 6months by simply monitoring what she eats on myfitnesspal and having a slimming world evening meal and by ensuring every day she does 7500 steps on her fitbit.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 4th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Working Mum
    The 5:2 (or its close cousin 16:8) are good for getting to grips with getting your metabolism working for you again - I have no thyroid and was pre-diabetic in the run up to Xmas - started the 16:8 - eating a healthy diet within an 8 hour window each day and ensuring I fast for at least 16 hours has brought my blood sugars way, way down.

Fasting has health benefits around the endocrine system and clearing out toxins etc - our body uses existing stores for energy. Dr Michael Mosely has done lots of research on the 5:2 and it is quite compelling.

I had to find a way that would work for me and healthy eating in 8 hours each day works for me.

Good luck
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Healthy eating back on my agenda Monday . Just going to try and have slightly less and up the exercise for a few weeks .

I must admit to liking Dior lipsticks , I received my favourite for Christmas!
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks for posting everyone. Dont worry about hijacking the thread Scott - its all good advice.

And hello Working Mum thank you also for your post and advice.

Its a hard one. I did really well some time back on the 5:2 and the fact that I have high blood pressure and an under active thyroid made the diet especially appealing. I do actually take vitamins (always have done) Ive also got quite a bit of time for Michael Moseley.

I think I will give it a go for two months and see where that leads me - but will up the ad hoc days to 1750 calories as Scott advises. One if the pluses when I was on it was the fact my heartburn disappeared and I actually felt like I had more energy. A work colleague however didnt get on with it at al!! I agree that fad diets are pretty useless overall (and I speak as someone who has been on quite a few - starting with the F-Plan (high fibre) diet in the seventies - and I didnt even need it then! I dont actually bother reading about the latest diets now.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Healthy eating back on my agenda Monday . Just going to try and have slightly less and up the exercise for a few weeks .

I must admit to liking Dior lipsticks , I received my favourite for Christmas!
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Yes I know Cumbria! The expensive brands are always more appealing. The Charlotte Tilbury range always tempts me - Ive not succumbed - as yet.......

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Just watched the tonight programme about diets ., I think I will have to go back to 50!!!8217;s to be slim again .
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    SCRIMPY 2018 - PART TROIS!

CLOTHES

I have a clothes budget which when added up on a yearly basis totals a lot less than the amount I used to spend. This is because as I'm overweight I don't get as much pleasure from clothes as I used to. I'd like to think though that if I do get back to a fighting weight, I'd be a lot more selective with my clothes. At the moment my clothes all seem to come from online sites like Marisota, Evans or Curvissa. I also buy from M&S, but quite a bit of the stuff that does catch my eye in there doesn't come in my size. I always buy my underwear there though because I like the way it fits. Shoes I tend to have to buy from either Marisota or Evans as my feet have got wider over the years and I take a size 8 (sometimes 9) anyway.

I still have some very good designer bags, which because they are rather classic and not "fashion forward" stand me in good stead. I wouldnt be able to fit into designer clothes anyway and I honestly wouldn't buy them anyway now even if I were at my fighting weight.

There is a website out there where you are encouraged to wear only 33 items or less over three months (apart from underwear). After the three months a new season starts and you re-evaluate again what 33 items you will need going forward. Anything you haven't worn during the period goes out of the window! The project is called Project 333 and some of you may have heard of it. To be honest when I looked at what I wear I think I probably fit the bill anyway as I seem to wear the same things again and again at the moment which is because I can't get excited about my clothes anymore.

I have about four different sizes in clothes and those I can't fit into live under the bed! It would be so nice to lose the weight and get rid of the excess clothes clutter!

Therefore, for 2018 clothes wise the plan is:

Lose weight so I can fit back into all these different sizes;
    Get rid of the bigger clothes as I go down in size:
    Then work out a nice, affordable capsule wardrobe going forward.

HOME

When I finished my emergency fund back in the summer last year, the next project was to save up for a new kitchen! Well nothing seems to have happened on this front! I also need a new front door and a new side table in the living room, plus bedroom curtains. Moreover, it would nice to re-decorate my living room and hallway.

On the curtain front I'm happy to report that I bought from John Lewis in the sale but purchased these via JL vouchers, which I received as Xmas pressies from my boss and one of our clients.

So the plan here is:

Save up for side table;
    Then save up for new door;
    Then save up for kitchen;
    Then save up for redecoration

This will start from my end of January salary payment.

And hopefully that signature at the bottom will be fulfilled some time this year!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just watched the tonight programme about diets ., I think I will have to go back to 50s to be slim again .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Oh Ill have to see if I can get that on catch up Cumbria! My mum always said rationing was good - no-one put on any weight and the diet was quite healthy as well! Always looks very unappealing to me! She did admit that the powdered egg she had to eat when she was in the RAF was pretty grim though!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,718 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your goals sound sensible and achievable SSG, good luck with achieving them .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 5th Jan 18, 1:33 AM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    badmemory
    Oh Ill have to see if I can get that on catch up Cumbria! My mum always said rationing was good - no-one put on any weight and the diet was quite healthy as well! Always looks very unappealing to me! She did admit that the powdered egg she had to eat when she was in the RAF was pretty grim though!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    She was in the forces though so she would be at least getting a reasonable diet even if it prevented an increase in weight. Actually post-war was the worse when if you didn't live in the country you were mostly mal-nourished. That is why most of us born before 1950 tend to be smaller than those born after - nothing to do with genetics, just to do with nutrition.

The worst was after meat rationing ended (worse than whilst it was in effect). My mother never took my younger sister meat shopping as she was a bit of a whinger,. I think she took me as a form of protection (she was a very goodlooking woman). She said that the nicer we were to the butcher the better the meat we would get, so smile at the butcher, we both did.

Actually people in the forces didn't put on weight because they were on a good diet, those who weren't were on a very bad diet, which was basically fat inducing and nutrition free.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Your goals sound sensible and achievable SSG, good luck with achieving them .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Hairy!

She was in the forces though so she would be at least getting a reasonable diet even if it prevented an increase in weight. Actually post-war was the worse when if you didn't live in the country you were mostly mal-nourished. That is why most of us born before 1950 tend to be smaller than those born after - nothing to do with genetics, just to do with nutrition.

The worst was after meat rationing ended (worse than whilst it was in effect). My mother never took my younger sister meat shopping as she was a bit of a whinger,. I think she took me as a form of protection (she was a very goodlooking woman). She said that the nicer we were to the butcher the better the meat we would get, so smile at the butcher, we both did.

Actually people in the forces didn't put on weight because they were on a good diet, those who weren't were on a very bad diet, which was basically fat inducing and nutrition free.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Re you mum and the butcher badmemory, I do remember my mum saying that my aunt used to flirt with the local butcher during rationing! And you can tell I was born post-1950 as Im 5ft 9in!. Seriously though, on The Step Back in Time programme when the family were re-enacting the 50s, it was mentioned that 30% of the average familys income went on food - which is quite a bit if you compare with the same today.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    SCRIMPY 2018 PART QUATRE

FINANCIAL ORGANISATION

A couple of items on my list here:

Sort Out Pensions I have a final salary scheme from a previous employer, but also two small DCB schemes with other ex-employers, plus my current company's DCB scheme. I'm going to arrange transfer of the two small schemes into my current pension plan so that everything is tidy and under the same roof.

Sort Out Tax I received a notification from HMRC last year letting me know I hadnt paid enough tax owing to benefits in kind at work. I haven't looked into this yet, but want to get on with it before the end of the tax year.

Paperwork sort out the pile that has grown sneakily in the last year and shred what's not needed and get files in order.

I'm also going to keep up with the surveys which I started doing last year.

Spends wise for the year I've got a few things to save up for on the home front (which I reported yesterday) also for trips away - I will be taking DD away at some stage for her birthday weekend and have a weekend away with a friend - but none have have been planned for properly yet.

Also I would like to get out for mores days out. I seemed to have slipped on this last year and would like to get the momentum back.

The rest of the financial bits and bobs are going well YNAB as usual is a star for sorting out my budget pots and I know exactly what I have to spend here. Use the comparison sites whenever the insurance renewals pop up and basically carry on what I have been doing as it seems to be working.

Today was a NSD. The weekend is here (hooray!) and I have Pilates tomorrow. Apart from that Im going to have a nice quiet Scrimpy weekend after all the December festivities!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 5th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,598 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Same type of weekend here SSG as well. I may even go to the gym as well , even though it!!!8217;s a20 min drive away as it!!!8217;s near work.
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 5,845 Posts
    • 38,620 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    SSG I don't use foundation but use L'Oreal CC cream in green which makes your skin look amazing (not green!!). Loads of people have asked me which foundation I use.

Goals for 2018 sound good
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I know Cumbria. A nice sensible healthy weekend for a change will be just the ticket!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 12,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    SSG I don't use foundation but use L'Oreal CC cream in green which makes your skin look amazing (not green!!). Loads of people have asked me which foundation I use.

Goals for 2018 sound good
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    That sounds interesting SA. Does it give good coverage? I find I need it at my time of life?. And it would certainly be cheaper than Clinique.

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 5th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    SCRIMPY 2018 PART QUATRE

FINANCIAL ORGANISATION

A couple of items on my list here:

Sort Out Pensions I have a final salary scheme from a previous employer, but also two small DCB schemes with other ex-employers, plus my current company's DCB scheme. I'm going to arrange transfer of the two small schemes into my current pension plan so that everything is tidy and under the same roof.

Sort Out Tax I received a notification from HMRC last year letting me know I hadnt paid enough tax owing to benefits in kind at work. I haven't looked into this yet, but want to get on with it before the end of the tax year.

Paperwork sort out the pile that has grown sneakily in the last year and shred what's not needed and get files in order.

I'm also going to keep up with the surveys which I started doing last year.

Spends wise for the year I've got a few things to save up for on the home front (which I reported yesterday) also for trips away - I will be taking DD away at some stage for her birthday weekend and have a weekend away with a friend - but none have have been planned for properly yet.

Also I would like to get out for mores days out. I seemed to have slipped on this last year and would like to get the momentum back.

The rest of the financial bits and bobs are going well YNAB as usual is a star for sorting out my budget pots and I know exactly what I have to spend here. Use the comparison sites whenever the insurance renewals pop up and basically carry on what I have been doing as it seems to be working.

Today was a NSD. The weekend is here (hooray!) and I have Pilates tomorrow. Apart from that Im going to have a nice quiet Scrimpy weekend after all the December festivities!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58

re Surveys do what i did maybe? ie update your signature to keep track of your earnings via surveys.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,565Posts Today

6,320Users online

Martin's Twitter