Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 17th Sep 16, 7:48 PM
    • 2,760Posts
    • 4,180Thanks
    Beckyy
    Plusnet retentions?
    • 17th Sep 16, 7:48 PM
    Plusnet retentions? 17th Sep 16 at 7:48 PM
    I'm looking for any tips on retention deals with Plusnet please.

I've been a broadband/landline customer for over 6 years, and have switched between products and used line rental saver but otherwise never really asked for anything (not great, I know!)

Line rental saver has now finished again so reverting to 17.99/month and I'm paying 19.99/month for unlimited fibre extra (total 37.98/month). No need for a call package.

Sky are offering the deal currently on here for the same products (sky fibre unlimited + landline) for 18.70 for 12 months then 37.40.

Does anybody have any tips on how to bargain with Plusnet to get anything similarly priced? I'm really not great at this kind of thing so input from anybody who has experience of getting a deal from them would be much appreciated!
Page 2
    • techno12
    • By techno12 26th Jan 17, 1:05 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    techno12
    Thanks for the replies.

Retentions actually phoned me up today, but although he sounded much friendlier than the guy I spoke to the other day, could only offer 14.99 plus line rental for 18 months.

He's going to call again this afternoon, so I'll play hardball, as others on here are getting better deals.

I really want a 12-month contract so that I'm not out of sync with line rental saver again, or a 24-month one at a decent price, not a 50% hike.
    • geoffreyq
    • By geoffreyq 26th Jan 17, 9:58 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    geoffreyq
    Failed to renegotiate a deal.
    I phoned PlusNet within the past week. They were simply not interested in a significantly better deal and were not at all bothered that I would be leaving. They said that their best deals were strictly for new customers only. I am switching to another supplier for 10 pm less than I have been paying PlusNet for (touch wood) the same service.
    • aduffell
    • By aduffell 2nd Feb 17, 8:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    aduffell
    I have ADSL (no fibre in my area), and was offered 22.98/month by retentions webchat - He said it was the best offer available. Only when I said the magic phrase of "what is the process for leaving plusnet" did I get a better offer of: Free BB + 17.99/month (line rental only) on 12 month contract. It works out the equivalent of 15.49/month if Line Rental Saver option taken out. I didn't accept today, as my current contract still runs for over 6 weeks, and will probably push for a free new router when I get back in touch to close the deal.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Feb 17, 1:57 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I have ADSL (no fibre in my area), and was offered 22.98/month by retentions webchat - He said it was the best offer available. Only when I said the magic phrase of "what is the process for leaving plusnet" did I get a better offer of: Free BB + 17.99/month (line rental only) on 12 month contract. It works out the equivalent of 15.49/month if Line Rental Saver option taken out. I didn't accept today, as my current contract still runs for over 6 weeks, and will probably push for a free new router when I get back in touch to close the deal.
    Originally posted by aduffell
    CS people vary very much (I've found that over my ADSL dropouts problem; hopefully sorted, by the person I spoke to earlier this week, who even arranged an email admitting that they were at fault and explaining what they have done), so you may not get the same offer next time.

I have a relative, who worked for BT CS and told me that there is a change in offers, that staff can offer, on a particular week day (not sure if it is a change every week or month).
    • Garf
    • By Garf 3rd Feb 17, 2:12 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Garf
    Hi,

I was on their Unlimited Broadband (A wild 6Mbps) from one of their deals which cost me 9.24 a month including Line Rental (12 months).
    They offered me 9.99 for 18 months for Unlimited Fibre (Estimated 38-40Mbps). I pay my Line Rental via their LineSaver rate (Lump Sum of 185.88).

All done via the online Chat!

Cheers,
    Gareth
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
    • Sand castle
    • By Sand castle 26th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Sand castle
    No deal
    I am currently paying 28.99 for unlimited fibre extra broadband inclusive of line rental and anytime calls, my contract is now up for renewal and the only offer Plusnet would make was to match their online prices for new customers for 18 months of 39.50 a month, I was also told that retention deals had to be 18 months (they are offering better prices for 12 months) and they would not match their competitor's prices. It certainly does not pay to stay with them!
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 27th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    "online prices for new customers for 18 months of 39.50 a month,"
    It's 29.99, for Fibre Extra, according to their website. 12 months too, which you mention. Scroll down the page, it's on the right.
    https://www.plus.net/

Hit them with that!
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 27-03-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • RavingMad
    • By RavingMad 29th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    RavingMad
    Plusnet retention
    I rang up Plusnet to get a PAC code as I was always getting close to my 8gb a month allowance and I thought 8gb was their top option.

Anyway, they guy offers to up my allowance to 10gb for the same price I'm currently paying (15) Slightly on the back foot now, as I wasn't prepared for any sort of haggling, I asked what I could have for slightly more ie 20pm. He says 15gb.

I've taken the offer, after all I can ring up next month and cancel again but has anyone else had offers from Plusnet?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 29th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 9,354 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    pmduk
    What is your minimum term? Remember if it's more than 30 days it will have started at from scratch again.
    • RavingMad
    • By RavingMad 29th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    RavingMad
    1 month rolling plan. Don't think Plusnet do 12 month plans, do they?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 29th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 9,354 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    pmduk
    I don't know, I always believe in double-checking though!
    • ss53
    • By ss53 29th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ss53
    "online prices for new customers for 18 months of 39.50 a month,"
    It's 29.99, for Fibre Extra, according to their website. 12 months too, which you mention. Scroll down the page, it's on the right.
    https://www.plus.net/

Hit them with that!
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Perhaps 10 extra for the Anytime call package?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Sep 18, 9:00 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Any good offers ?
    I'm repeating my question as it has had no replies in a general thread :

Has anyone had a good retention offer that is better than the 19.99 + calls for ADSL from PlusNet, recently ?

There have been posts about Sky and other providers, but nothing about PlusNet. (My sister actually booked a move to PlusNet but Sky gave her a deal of 17.99 including Anytime calls, which is just over hat I'm paying PlusNet without calls)
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 12th Sep 18, 9:11 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 2,301 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I'm repeating my question as it has had no replies in a general thread :

Has anyone had a good retention offer that is better than the 19.99 + calls for ADSL from PlusNet, recently ?

There have been posts about Sky and other providers, but nothing about PlusNet. (My sister actually booked a move to PlusNet but Sky gave her a deal of 17.99 including Anytime calls, which is just over hat I'm paying PlusNet without calls)
    Originally posted by teddysmum

Couldn't get better than 19.98 for rental,E &W/E calls and adsl when I renewed in July - and that was with ALR paid up front. However, stayed with them because I get BT Sports for 5pm and have a very good PN MOBILE deal as well.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Sep 18, 9:52 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Couldn't get better than 19.98 for rental,E &W/E calls and adsl when I renewed in July - and that was with ALR paid up front. However, stayed with them because I get BT Sports for 5pm and have a very good PN MOBILE deal as well.
    Originally posted by brewerdave

As your call package is 4, that's 15.99 compared to the advertised 19.99 , so your calls are free.I'm now paying the equivalent of 16.49 (excluding my 8 for anytime), after a repeat contract (including the 12/year increase on line ) but no 50 or whatever the intro price was.

The offer of a repeat was as effortless as I asked what it was worth to stay. However Sky wasn't as competitive last year and I'm not happy at how long sorting my poor broadband is taking, though they are very good at keeping me up to date.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 13-09-2018 at 9:59 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Sep 18, 10:56 PM
    • 9,142 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Bargaining power seems to have vanished.

Talktalk are asking 18 months contracts for ADSL.

Sky have removed the repaid MasterCard and ask 18 months, though as a current customer my sister got them to offer 12 months .

PlusNet are now asking 18 months on the 19.99 offer and want for 12 months ,21.99, which paying up front just brings me back to full price I'd be paying on my present agreement (ie without upfront line payment).

I thought someone said that internet was getting cheaper, but this can't have because the line rent for just phone is unchanged.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 18, 11:16 PM
    • 17,552 Posts
    • 44,372 Thanks
    elsien
    I pointed out to plusnet that John Lewis was a better deal at the time.
    Their response was a shrug and a "go with them then." They don't seem bothered about keeping you any more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 16th Sep 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    I pointed out to plusnet that John Lewis was a better deal at the time.
    Their response was a shrug and a "go with them then." They don't seem bothered about keeping you any more.
    Originally posted by elsien
    It is the same company, John Lewis uses Plusnet to do all the work for them. So Plusnet still get paid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

302Posts Today

4,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you to the team at the Westen eye hospital a&e. I scratched my eye ball in my sleep, then woke up with pain.? https://t.co/VJMwQfsRxv

• I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Follow Martin