Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,303Posts
    • 8,900Thanks
    TallGirl
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor 16th Sep 16 at 3:46 PM
    Dear all
    I've been around a long time on this MFW for a long time and I love it. Keeps me on track and helped me pay off my mortgage 9 years early. I'm on the verge on starting something new so I thought I would start a new diary and focus it more on money saving and less on personal stuff. My life was quite steady and stable until April 2015 when I left my husband and took a one year job in London all made easier and more ore possible because I was mortgage free.

My job ended in July 2016 and I had hoped to stay within the organisation in a new job but I didn't get it and they didn't recruit anyone else. I am a great believer in that things will happen for the right reason and good things come to good people. Whilst on holiday and on my birthday I was told my ex had died and as we were still married I now owned the whole house plus his pensions and share in the small family business.

I applied for a new job whilst on holiday and I start that Monday its 28 hours a week with Friday's off and it's obviously on less month than my previous full time one.

I have been busy in the last two months sorting the house out so I can rent I out from October which will give me an income as well.

I have been trying to get his affairs in order so I can apply for probate and I'm getting there. So good folks if you want to read about the following kinds of topics then please feel free to read and or comment:
    • How to be an accidental landlord
    • How to go about getting probate and IHT sorted
    • How to invest an inheritance
    • How to keep accounts as a landlord
    • How to save money on everyday things whilst living in London

There will be more and I often stray into personal totally unrelated money stuff so just gloss over that if you find it boring.

So here we are start of something new so a quick update on where we are with the above topics.

1. Property should be ready after 27/9 as carpets going down then. Estate agent doesn't want to market it before it's completely ready. Once painter is done need to arrange final clean and my old cleaner to hang curtains.

2. My accountant friend has suggested the valuation of the family business is ok to use and my new IFA confirmed the two pensions are outside inheritance tax so I should be able to more forward on this very soon.

3. Meeting the IFA 30/9 potential inheritance will be around 190k will need to pay funeral expenses but want to invest most of it.

4. I need to read up on how to keep accounts as a landlord not sure I need an accountant but as I'm now a part business owner I might have too. Will definitely register with Inland Revenue but as house isn't rent out yet nothing has changed.

5. Finally I love saving money from getting the best deal to using coupons and tokens. I'm very good but can also be very bad. It's expensive to live in London but I'm a property guardian so my rent is so so cheap so I should really save lots of money. I promise I'll do a budget once I get my new wages, I would rather live on this than have to use my income from my property but might be difficult .

Ok I will end there and try and keep on the straight and narrow in terms of sticking with money saving stuff.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Page 24
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 25th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Car passed MOT 55 that's 5 more than council place but it's much nearer so nice to have it done. Also got car washed today 10 but it was covered in bird poo so needed doing and it looks great.

Friday ended up having a bottle of wine in the pub but got my fringe cut for free at hairdressers and it was nice to sit in the pub. Felt rough so didn't drink any more Friday but dg did have some vodka very small bottle so not too bad.

Saturday collected the car and went to Argos to get new weights perfect doe arms and shoulders so almost got the full kit now just need kettlebells.

Today chilling out did most of the meal prep for the week yesterday so ended up just going to hit some balls and Asda. Really finding those double the discount vouchers stack up bet loads don't check the, but it's usually some money off and you just print the voucher and take it in.

Almost succumbed to Costa at the Golf range but they took ages and I dislike them as they don't let you swipe your Costa card. They are weird really.

Got tickets to see dreamgirls on Saturday with DGs mum it's 25 each really pleased have wanted to see it for ages. Going to meet her at Holborn do a picnic with wraps and then see the show at 2.30. Last time we met her there we couldn't find anywhere to have lunch it's all so posh around the strand and Covent Garden so fingers crossed it doesn't rain.

Lunch made for tomorrow need early night still go sore throat which isn't very nice.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 25th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 4,059 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Hi TG

Which weights did you get from Argos? I am thinking of getting some as I don't do any exercise. How long do you do your weights for?
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 25th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    It was these
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5288418

We do Tabatha which is 20sec work then 10sec rest repeat over as many different ones you like. We usually do three sets of 4 works out at about 18 min. You could just set a time and decide your own pattern or work out to a song. We are going to use the plates loose for sit-up , sumo squats and Russian twits that!!!8217;s why we liked that set. Google Tabatha workouts and you!!!8217;ll find loads.

Hope that helps
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 26th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Very happy today saw an actual client at work which was fun rather than doing managing took ages as I'm a bit rusty but I checked and my advice was correct.

Came home earlish as I had to drop something off at our outreach. Dg didn't want to run in the daylight so had light dinner then ran at 7.45 done week 8 now so only one to go but I'm a whole week ahead of dg not sure how that happened. She's out tomorrow so I'll do some weights try the new ones as we didn't do them yesterday.

1500 matched at 4.9% at RateSetter for one year happy with that.

Lunch sorted for tomorrow too so chill time now.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 29th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Easter break and relax much needed. Went for dinner tonight and had ice cream too nice and much needed as dream job is no longer in grasp. Didn't even get an interview just don't think my face fits in that team but useful feedback definitely hadn't presented my CV quite right will make sure it's longer next time and take out more of the operational stuff leave strategic in.

It wasn't the right time anyway and they have some high caliber candidates from the right industry so that's fine rather not go through it all and get nowhere and there will be other jobs in other teams. My friend works in the team but she's gone very silent so wonder why but she doesn't know I was approached anyway. Nice to have that stress gone away work is good for me and we're making some really good progress and I'm actually doing the job am paid to do. Two days training were good too.

Anyway time to chill shame about the weather don't think there will be much Golf. Sleep needed too. Have a lovely Easter everyone.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 2nd Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl

Easter has been really nice and relaxing Golf Friday but only played six holes just so wet. Dreamgirls Saturday really good and nice to spend time with DGs mum. Took our own wraps wanted to do picnic but too wet so ate in secret in a coffee shop. The show is at The Savoy so went and had a nose DGs bright idea let's go to the bar. Three amazing cocktails and nibbles later 75 but was an experience and enjoyed it. So no money saving but as dg says sometimes you got to do things even if it's mad and it was but I enjoyed it,

Sunday Golf at the indoor range really nice and again sneaky wraps in the coffee shop but it's a Costa but they don't take points cards so they deserve so loose custom. Did but drinks of course and it's not that busy.

Been out for a run, brunch eaten and will do Golf again at the indoor range. Need to top up the card but still cheap and no mud. Park so muddy my shoes are horrible now. Got two runs left of C25K. I can run 30 min so pleased about that.

Dg is making her smoothies and lime ice cubes done food prep for next week just need to do Asda shop. Ended the month with about 1000 spare so taken 1000 out of rate setter laving 3500 in there mostly at 5% for one year and then I can pay for Golf membership for us both with the 2k.

Still need a descent savings goal this year to motivate me.

Going to my ex BILs 50th next Sunday back down south. Pleased to be invited and want to see fil as well. Really want to meet up with friend and neighbor who is leaving to move to cornwall but she's so busy she might not be around which is a shame,

Might just go down for the Sunday although dg is away with friends so should make the most of it. Not sure yet. We shall see.

Hope you're all having a nice Easter

Ups a bit mad with smilies :ico tbaske:Eas terBun
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 9th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Weekend done and dusted lovely time back home didn't get to see friend or her husband but met with old golfing pals which was great just an hour but really good. Lunch with bil and fil etc etc also very pleasant nice to keep in touch and no awkward questions. They have finally sorted the stone out for ex dh so can now pay bill if I hadn't just deleted brother in laws bank details stupid me. Hopefully he will send them. Didn't get a chance to hear about the business but fil is looking frail and I don't think he'll go back to work now. I actually don't think he's got that long left quite scary how he has declined. Bu5 hospital stays do that to you. Half got a plan to ask my friend to go and look after him for a few weeks she needs to go away and he knows her well. Might be meddling too much but it would make sense.

Grave stone a lot less than I thought which is handy as I've got less savings now as I'm filling new isa allowance pensions etc.

No running tonight but completed the C25K which is nice will go running tomorrow. Put the lighter quilt on wake up so hot in the mornings before the heating comes on.

Watched the Masters really enjoyed it keeping our 10 a month sky but friend is cancelling movies so we can get them on NowTV so not that bad. Work ok but a bit busy and feels a bit out of control. A meeting may or may not happen tomorrow and ceo has taken over yet again on another matter which I would have dealt with differently. Never mind yet again.

Still not sorted my savings goal out must do that.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 22nd Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Gosh time flies it's been two weeks very tired TG after girlie golfing weekend was fab to see everyone again even if a group of friends had split off I got to see people I've known for more than 20 years. Two rounds of 18 then one 9 today well cool very happy. Lovely food and hotel and the weather perfect for a long weekend of outdoor activity.

Got home at 4pm dinner done, lunch prepped so is breakfast for the week having some icecream not great but hey ho. Drinking wasn't too bad in the end..

Off to Denmark Thursday but need to get cards and also main present as the one I've ordered from amazon USA won't get here in time annoyingly.

Chill then early night for sure, meant to be running in the morning.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 25th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    All packed and ready to go at crack of dawn look forward to seeing the family. Was up at 6 this morning for a run and work was quite long as had my appraisal and found out I passed my probation so that was really good. Ceo happy with my work got new objectives taking over an area I've done before but will be more strategic which is great.

Spoke to friend who has my cats he's job hunting. He's been so supportive of me over the years I've known him over 20 years. He's letting us house sit last Bank holiday weekend it's going to be fab lovely house and my cats (well his) plus his dog and cat. Will be so nice to have a weekend down there catching up with lots of people and not shelling out for hotel.

My tenant was in touch she's paying a gardener to sort out the garden and also get the patio clean which is so nice as it was sad how the garden was let go. She's so happy there which is nice she's also replacing the mat at the front door I've said I'll pay for it it's really old. Really nice tenant

Tired now but dg isn't back from the driving range I won't be long out of bed though.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 25-04-2018 at 9:18 PM.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 25th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Enjoy your trip. Spending time with your puddy tats will be something to look forward to too. x
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 27th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Hope you enjoy your trip. Well done on passing probation
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    zero personal cc
    6x166 for sofas ending November 2018
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 4th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Wow another week had a brilliant time in Denmark really good to see everyone and lovely to take DG to my sisters house as she's never been. Lots of sweet shopping in Germany not good for the diet but I'm stocked up now.

Busy week back lots of things to do but the new project I'm rescuing from an incompetent colleague is going well and the staff are really supporting me so that is fab. Still struggle with CEO sometimes well actually more senior management meetings they are so unproductive I thOught it was incompetent colleague that was to blame but she wasn't there so it's finance that's the problem. Anyway they don't happen that often at least.

Diet back under control and three early starts with excercise. All good. We've been invited to one of the bootcamp ladies wedding in Ireland in three weeks. It's super expensive to fly assume late with Ryanair but we're going it's a one off and she could become a really good friend. Hotel is 120 a night each, 40 car hire each and 300 for return flight to Dublin. We go Friday back Sunday.

I've decided to take my inheritance out of Denmark investment fees are huge and you pad 27% take on dividends too much and too complicated. Also my adviser can make sure I invest it properly over here. I think it's all going in my pension which is great.

Will leave 10k there for holidays etc and leave 10k here for DGs business loan when she starts up herself. Bad news has come at her work they have lost a contract she really enjoys working on but we shall see there might be new opportunities. The exchange rate is really good now so that's all fine.

Off to the driving range tonight when traffic dies down, then Golf tomorrow and I have match early Sunday and then it's DGs mother down for the first time in this flat Monday which is good.

DGs Birthday is on Wednesday we're going to the pictures and I'm buying her a Golf weekend away.

Oh Jack my old cat is now ok he's had steroids and we're now confirmed as house and pet sitting end of May which is fab..

I think that's enough ramblings for tonight
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 7th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Busy week at work but lovely weekend really needed the time off. Golf Friday night at the range then 18 holes Saturday dg managed to play them all only one minor meltdown so all good. I played with the members yesterday not the greatest Golf but it's early in the season. Both booked in for next Sunday for dg to do her first card. Would be good if she can get it done she needs 3 in total.

Today was meant to be Golf but I'm glad it isn't dg has gone with her mum to Camden market I'm cleaning the flat and generally chilling they will back late afternoon and we will have dinner before she heads off. She's not been here before so nice she can see the place finally.

I would like to get my accounts up to date with my rented property don't want to do the tax return yet but make sure I have all receipts etc. Also need to sort out DGs present it's her birthday on the 9th. My mum has got her something and I'll get her a weekend away. I'm also going to wipe her debts but I need her to save for our next holiday. She's only on 4K less than me she thought it was a lot less the silly girl.

My IFA is working on Danish inheritance looks like I'll max out tax year 15/16 for my pension which is all fine.

Well best get on with it loads to do before they get back incl cooking.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 12th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    What a change in the weather not good for golf at all been at the indoor range today and yesterday. Going to play in the competition tomorrow and DG is doing her first card doe handicap. I really hope she stays calm and gets it done. Will be nice when she has a handicap and can play with the rest.

Spoken to my friend tonight really nice she's getting better just got out of a bad marriage to someone twice her age, domestic violence too not good. She's getting stronger so that's really good.

Not done an awful lot today slept late then had a nap and been to Asda today and last night so fully stocked up now.

Work has been fine busy but all good trustee board meeting good too learnt quite a bit definitely going to apply for be a trustee at a place linked with dream job. Still loads of time to apply for don't need to do it yet.

I think that's it bed time soon early start tomorrow.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 14th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Excellent MSE result today I needed a jacket to go with my 15year old dress I'm wearing for the wedding, 13 in a charity shop I should say I know that's a lot for a charity shop but this is London and it's a nice brand new one. Well looks new.

So comes the issue of shoes I didn't have any the white ones I usually would have worn aren't around (ex wedding shoes 10+ years old) but happened to remember I had some silver ones that will do nicely. They have heel and I'm a foot taller than DG but she's in heels and venue is at the hotel we're staying so I can change into sandals later on and no one will know. So dress wise cheap flights hotels car hire etc isn't but it's not often you get invited to a real Irish wedding.

Tired tonight early night then run in the morning didn't manage it this morning. Diet crap too need to get back on track.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 15th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Hectic day today did our 6am run meeting at 10 am so lie in as went straight there got to worked for lunchtime quick check on emails then sat in the park and ate my lunch. Just about to start my work when told there was a person there to see CEO. Now CEO was working from home and I had been invited to join this meeting but obviously something had gone wrong. Person was quite important so ended up spending two hours with her talking about what I do. Really interesting but obviously ate into my time and turned out ceo had not put meeting in her own diary. Oh well. Loads to do tomorrow so will get in early. Need to work out when to leave Friday for Gatwick could do with a nice mystery better get off and see if I can get one.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    very MSE tonight was about to buy the extra car hire insurance when I rembered Martins rants about it and sure enough using his article I saved 31 and the policy cost me 4.79. Very happy days.

Meeting today with hot lunch from the lovely local restaurant below our offices yummy Malaysian food at its best.

Nice chilled evening sorted boarding out with Ryanair refuse to pay to sit together they are such a stupid airline. Glad i don't usually have to travel with them
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 27th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Staying at friends house pet sitting it's lovely hot tub is amazing I need one when we get final house for sure. Cats nice not seen my favourite yet I thInk he's moved house sadly but fingers crossed he pops in. Dog is cute quite a lot of work walking them but also nice and found out DG can't do poo bags guess we're not having a dog cats only then.

Yesterday we played golf it was free due to our other membership. Shared a sandwich and hired a buggy hungover plus it's very hilly. 18 buggy, 8 sandwich and drink each with chips. Had takeaway last night 21 and bought dinner for special friend Friday 115 but well worth it.

Absolutely love it down here so can't wait to move back. Today seeing DGs mum and shopping in my old town. Getting car valeted and also going to see a free exhibition well 3 parking.

Need to write an application for a trustee post but just don't feel like it enjoying time off too much.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 29th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Glad you got to see at least one of the boys.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 31st May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Yes it was good to see one the other came in that evening typical.

Plodding along look forward to the weekend work manic but getting there so much to sort out that isn't really my patch but person who should sort it out isn't as she cant. Been there 9 years is totally useless.

Been a bit spendy weekend but out of joint funds. Still waiting for final funeral bill for headstone then I know what's what. Need to transfer money over from Denmark but IFA not got back to me yet. Might try at the weekend.

Got counselling booked via work feel I need it with the work I'm doing brings my past back in terms of death etc all a bit weird. Really glad to have first session Wednesday hope my team get theirs soon I was first to book it.

Got to book hotel for concert in Manchester the prices are stupid so leaving it to last minute only doing one night train is booked. Should be nice.

Also booked tickets to my first music festival it's one day and I've gone VIP never done that either. Paying for DG at around my birthday,

Have done two runs this week onto stepping stone which follows the C25K programme struggled doing the stamina one today didn't comeplete last 5 min fast run.

Eating crap at work donuts and sweets stupid stupid also buying lattes need to stop. Bought some raisins nice and sweet if I need it.

Didn't sleep well last night due to work but that particular issue is sorted now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,390Users online

Martin's Twitter