The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,535 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DG loved her birthday presents and the jacket fitted which was lucky. She's gone to work and I'm still in bed having watched the Sarah Beeny show about being mortgage free. Yes it's all good if you got land or parents with land I did it 9 years early but getting a better job and some small inheritances. Not that great but fun to see the cheap homes being built.

The two application forms have lots of work to do on them and tomorrow I won't have time as I'm playing golf and meeting a friend. Has to be done by Friday as I'm away next week.

Cinema tonight so that's nice still no drinking feel like the weight is dropping needs to go to the gym as well today no classes I fancy so workout on my own instead.

We will know Thursday if we can rent the room from 1/6 I do hope the guy goes he's creating a bad atmosphere by skulking around. Also found out my tenants haven't given notice so although it's now a rolling contract they are still in and still paying so all is good long may it last.

That's it for now have a lovely day.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    edited 9 May 2017 at 3:08PM
    One application done need to check it and the other one is quite similar so hopefully that will be easy. Just had a very naughty magnum ice cream the new raspberry one omg it's lush. Not been to the gym really bad I know.

DG on her way home early nice bonus as we're out at 6pm.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    4DX film was great definitely recommend it for the right film very different and good fun. Did have two ice creams £10 only because it was her birthday and god they were sickly one scoop would have done.

Played golf yesterday really nice ladies and really nice weather. Golf was good too played over my handicap but still very relectable. I think I'm going to like the members those I met yesterday were nice. Met friend for an hour after she finished work I really don't miss that journey into town but it was good seeing her.

Today gym either at 10am or 12.15 no excuses job applications to be done too ready for DG to check and I can then send them tomorrow.

My sister and mum is going to have a small ceremony to place the urn of my uncle in the family grave on the 4/6. It's also my nieces birthday so she would like me to come. Not sure if I get interviews to so great if I don't it's not that much money to travel over.

Tonight DG has her golf lesson I'll come too just to practise a bit.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Did gym but no class as no instructor still did 45min. Lesson went well paid for 1/2 hour got 1 hour he was really good and she's improved massively. Might go tonight instead of gym as she's away tomorrow night and then I'm off for a week with the car so she can't go.

Finished the CAB application but the other one is a res only six questions but it's behavioural based with examples which is fine but you only have 950 caracters which is just impossible. I've done three but the forth is 1600 and I need to cut it more of course. So painful but needs must the job sounds really good and I've done all the other sections.

Starting to look forward to my trip to cornwall, Dorset and Devon been two years since I last went. My friend will be in a state I know it and she needs support. Her marriage is hopefully over and I might be able to move her forward. She's not worked for a while and I think she's got drinks problems again and possibly her eating disorder is back so things aren't looking good for her really.

Things kicked off again here yesterday with the difficult guy. He had an altercation with the female again saying he was being bullied out. Doesn't sound like he's even close to moving out which is so frustrating as I just want that room and get my nephew over here. Just not possible at the moment.

DG had to go in early lots of work might just have a snooze now.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Nice Friday night did have two beers (big ones) felt it this morning not good. DG has gone out with three friends staying overnight I miss her but I've been a away a lot and I'm away Sunto Thurs so I hope she has a nice time.

Done some study need to do final read of my job application will do that tomorrow then that's both sent off they close Mon and Weds so fingers crossed they are right up my sleeve job wise would be great to get an interview.

Can't wait to head off tomorrow on my big south west trip will be good to see all those people again definitely getting bored being off work.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• mrsval
    mrsval Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all, I need a little help and advice. My son wants to return home and has suggested he wants to come back home and rent one of my bedrooms. I have read that the government allows you to do this. My son is on pip benefits and currently has his own 1 bed flat, I don't work, or claim benefits, my husband is on state pension. We still have a mortgage to pay so being able to rent a room to my son and be there for him 24/7 instead of the long travel 3/4 times a week to see him and make sure he's ok would help a lot but I have no idea what I have to do and whether or not family would be allowed to do this rather than renting to a stranger. Thank you in advance
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    mrsval wrote: »
    Hi all, I need a little help and advice. My son wants to return home and has suggested he wants to come back home and rent one of my bedrooms. I have read that the government allows you to do this. My son is on pip benefits and currently has his own 1 bed flat, I don't work, or claim benefits, my husband is on state pension. We still have a mortgage to pay so being able to rent a room to my son and be there for him 24/7 instead of the long travel 3/4 times a week to see him and make sure he's ok would help a lot but I have no idea what I have to do and whether or not family would be allowed to do this rather than renting to a stranger. Thank you in advance

You should really start a new thread on the Benefits or Housing boards as you will get a better response.

Does your son work? You say he is on PIP. Does he get any other benefits such as housing benefits? If he gets housing benefit then it is very unlikely that he will continue to get this if he rents a room in your home. You would need to ring your Councils's housing department to be sure but I have never heard of family members getting housing benefit if they rent a room in the houses of close family.

His PIP won't be affected, so he will continue to get this as long as his disability doesn't improve or the criteria for getting PIP don't change.
  • TallGirl
    edited 14 May 2017 at 11:23AM
    Thanks SuzieSue I was going to suggest that too I don't think you can get housing benefit forrenting to family. I'm a property Guardian it's a cheap way to rent and you get to live in some unusual places maybe google Camelot Properby Guardian and Ad Hoc there are loads of companies.

Finished by open uni course got 92% quite happy with that signed up for one that starts tomorrow it's on financial regulation and understanding products. Will be handy for work and an area I quite like to get into if I cold e.g. FCA, FOS etc.

Sent my CAB application form off that's two in have to wait now really hope I get an interview would like both some is familiar but an organisation I love the other is new to me but the advice areas right up my street unlike Age UK where the organisation was new and the advice areas wasn't my cup of tea.

DG should be home soon so I want to pack and have a shower before she gets here some brunch first long time since I had my yoghurt.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Gosh a week since I've posted lots of good things since then.

Drove off to Dorset Sun night with friend who wasn't well on lots of morphine so not good really but still glad I went and broke journey in half. With my friend in cornwall with the very old husband mon to Weds nice time but she's recovering from a full mastectomy as her family has history of breast cancer. She's out of work but husband just started work tues which is great as he's out of her hair and earning. He's 75 she's 36 not good really and they are not happy together.

Her dad is recovering from cancer too and she's caring for him and staying there while his partner is away. He's a total alcoholic one bottle of whiskey a day reminded me of my ex dh. Anyway nice time had with friend caught up properly not really spoken for at least a year. Bit of shopping and treating her which was fine.

Weds drove up to se another friend who I always saw when I was down there on business. Nice evening with him and his partner at their house lovely garden st it stopped raining first time since Monday. Girl played yesterday then lunch then stopped at other friends house got puppy, doggy and kitty cuddles and got home at 9.30pm. 620 miles driven but well worth it and nice to catch up with all those people who through my travelling job became friends.

Once my friend who lives next door to my house moves to cornwall I'll definitely got down more often to see her and some of them.

Also other important news I have an interview for the CAB job on Tuesday. Really happy got to do ten minutes presentation on why they are struggling with staff morale and volunteers leaving pus clients unhappy. Right up my street really so should be fine. Going to do it today obovusly.

Right now a bit of open uni to catch up with DG went to work just after seven but I couldn't sleep.

Hope all is well with my fellow MSEer will catch up with some diaries soon.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Congratulations on the interview. I think it's cheeky how some organisations use interviews to solve their own problems but there is nothing much you can do about it. I have a friend who works in the same sort of area as you and she is convinced that some of the interviews she has attended have been for the sole purpose of picking her brains and that they were going to give the job to an internal candidate all along.

Wow, 36 & 75. I thought our age gap (9 years) was bad enough. How long have they been together?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure