Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 2,224Posts
    • 20,884Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 88
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 32,443 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Tink pleased that you feel a little better.

Watched some of the football with OH, not a football fan, but pleased for the team and feel it is good for some of the country to have something to celebrate in these uncertain times.

I have run out of things that need no/little cooking so having to buckle down and stick to my meal plan, cooked a bolognaise bake in stages this morning and tonight and popped it into the Remoska, then retreated to watch to tennis while OH steamed the veg which needed using up. Out to lunch to celebrate an 85th birthday tomorrow so no more cooking until Monday

Hope the timber felling is going well.
    Did you manage to sleep any better?
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Jul 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 12,612 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Too many posts to respond to. Just wanted to say hello to all on here.

I can't stand the heat either. We can't leave the windows open at night as we live near a lake and we get so many flying insects! We have been using a fan in our bedroom at night.

I have been up and down the last few months. I realised I can have gluten if it is very pure organic bread, which is such a relief as I missed my toast and sandwiches. I still haven't had a migraine for months now.

One of my pets was very ill and almost died which was very stressful.
    She is okay now though but it did make me very anxious and upset for a while.

I have been trying to make time for relaxation, listening to my meditation CD at night, watching comedy shows and the football of course!

I have my 6 month check up blood test coming up in a couple of weeks and I want to see if my cholesterol has come down as it went very high when I was on the two medications last year.

I hope everyone is coping with the heat. It just makes me want to stay indoors.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 116,755 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Hi Everyone!

I feel like I'm butting in here but I think you might me the ones to help me.

Does anyone here use a chair when cooking? I can't stand very long in the kitchen and I miss cooking but all I can find are perching stools, which I feel are too low down, and bar stools which don't seem safe.

Do you have any recommendations?

xx
    Originally posted by Bertles
    Welcome - and please don't feel you're butting in, this is just the place for this sort of question.

I actually do use bar stools, I bought a pair and have one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom so I can do my make-up (on the rare days I bother) sitting down.

There are a load of different designs though; the ones I have are these:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6000262
    which have some support for my back so I won't tip off backwards.

HTH.
    I'm wondering if Wolfy is having one of the Lupus flares . I hope not .
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    'Fraid so. This heat is literally killing me by inches.
    Also trying to get my head round some extremely bad news. Will talk later when I've taken it in properly, ok?
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 31,073 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Also trying to get my head round some extremely bad news. Will talk later when I've taken it in properly, ok?
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Thinking of you and Mr LW.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    July Grocery Challenge 73.72/250
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 8th Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 32,443 Thanks
    maddiemay
    LW so sorry that you have received bad news, I have been thinking of you and hoping it would not be. Little licks from the furry one.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Elona
    • By Elona 8th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Elona
    LW

Positive vibes and hugs and the hope that the bad news is not as bad as it first seems.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jul 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wolfy You've both been in my mind over the last few days for both the travel and outcome of the appointment . I really hope things are not as bad as you fear . I know you don't do hugs so am sending love , light and positive vibes to you both and as always calming lavender vibes xx

I'm glad your pet is ok Wednesday . It's good news about the migraines , I don't get them so often now but this weather has really kicked them off at the moment . Think I've already mentioned we can't keep windows open due to flying insects which does mean the house is like an oven at times .
    I find organic flour , oats and other foodstuffs are much easier on the stomach . I discovered that many years ago as youngest had IBS and eliminating a lot of the additives in ordinary flour and other basics made a big difference . Same with wholemeal dried pasta , the organic version .
    I hope the blood tests go well . I bought the new Matt Haig book on Friday - Notes on a nervous planet - I don't suffer with high anxiety levels but I have been feeling rather overloaded with lots to do and keep track of . It's a small book but already I've picked up pointers on how not to be so overwhelmed in a busy world .

Hi Elona nice to see you . How are things in your world ? Hope the knee is better than it was and the family are well . I did pick up a while ago that you're due to be a grandma so congratulations to you all .

I'll be back shortly . Posts keep going awol and the laptop needs the fan replacing so will send this for now .

polly x
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 9th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 10,845 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Just popping in this morning with supportive thoughts for LameWolf...hope you will be able to rest a bit, and get the strength you need to deal with what has happened.
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 9th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 7,472 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Hello all. I'm afraid I'm not doing so well. Thanks for asking Polly.
    The heat doesn't help of course but all the tests have had to undergo for liver have brought up something not related at all.
    Apparently I have a Dermoid on my ovary and will need surgery. Consultant promised it would be keyhole and day surgery but did mention that they would remove both ovaries and uterus - otherwise known as hysterectomy.
    And they still haven't finished investigating my liver. Now want a biopsy!
    Fed up
    Last edited by ArthriticOldThing; 09-07-2018 at 1:25 PM. Reason: amend
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Jul 18, 2:00 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Elona
    AOT

You are not doing things by halves pet and no wonder you are fed up. The fact that it is likely to be keyhole surgery hopefully means you will heal quicker so that is a small mercy. Fingers crossed for you.

Polly
    Since trying the bicarb of soda solution a few weeks ago my knees are hardly painful at all just a bit stiff which is such a relief. My older dd is due to have the baby at the end of July and can't wait , especially in the heat we have just now. She is coming round tomorrow and we are doing some baking for the freezer so she has food to grab for when she and baby and sil are home . I have made six portions of cottage pie for them which are in my freezer and planning making a chicken lasagne in the next few days for them.

Hugs to all
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    The heat doesn't help of course but all the tests have had to undergo for liver have brought up something not related at all.
    Apparently I have a Dermoid on my ovary and will need surgery. Consultant promised it would be keyhole and day surgery but did mention that they would remove both ovaries and uterus - otherwise known as hysterectomy.

Well I'd be more than fed up in your place AOT . I think this year is proving to be very difficult for many .
    I don't have much knowledge of keyhole surgery . Others may have experience of a the process on here .
    So now it's a biopsy for the liver and the surgery . I suppose you still can't have the meds they stopped due to the liver results . Are you managing to cope without the important meds ? It seems to be a fair while since they started investigating the liver and unless I'm mistaken surely they should have done a biopsy asap .

I know you have family but is anyone near enough to help you with attending appointments and things like shopping ? This hot weather is making life hard for able bodied people at the moment and very challenging for we spoonies .

I keep meaning to ask if your flat is in sheltered or supported housing with a warden . I don't like to think of you stuck upstairs whether the lift is working or not .

Keep us up to date , I hope the biopsy takes place soon . Luckily dd got through all the urgent alerts on the bloods that were being repeated on a weekly basis for months . Liver results are now within the range expected when on DMARDs . I will keep you in mind and hope things go well . Lavender candle is still lit nightly for all in need of some light .
    Take care

polly x

Fed up
    Originally posted by ArthriticOldThing

Need to lengthen my message , I've managed to type within your quote ! Someone send the rain , my fingers are sticking to the keyboard .
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Jul 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Elona I missed the Bicarb solution , do tell . The OA isn't usually much of a problem but this hot weather seems to have added it to everything else . I've had it since the late 70s and quite used to it really however the knees have been playing up over the past month or so .

My 2 eldest were early August babies so I send empathy to your daughter , I still remember all the sleepless summer nights .
    Food is such a useful prep for the early days . I do similar for all sorts of reasons . I remember staring at a colicky baby and wishing someone would get hold of the baby and then feed me ..
    polly x
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Elona
    Polly

The solution is a teaspoon of bicarb of soda dissolved in a pint glass of water twice a day. I have been doing this for nearly three weeks and really feel it has helped a lot.

I remember when the twins were a few days old and we were trying to eat something quick and easy like sardines on toast and every time we put a bite to our mouths the doorbell went!!! A few days later we had FIL staying and offered him a snack while the twins were asleep and we had a few minutes only to get a long lecture on how he was not always eating like young folk etc. I think he regretted his stance when the next offer of food was six hours later.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'll give that a go Elona . It sounds like my mums remedy for all sorts of childhood ills including hiccups and indigestion . She would also make a paste for stings and bites .

I think anyone who has a go at a new parent should come with a suit of armour . I went from polite to my way or the highway very quickly
    I think mother nature kicks in and it's how we cope .

You must be so excited , not long to go now . Are you still doing your library stint ?

I have a basket of ironing staring at me , all hard to iron cotton and linen with added tucks and pleats . I've been waiting for a Disney scene where some cute animals set to and clear it all . Nowt happened yet , skies are still blue , we have some fluffy white clouds of the ornamental rather than useful variety. If we could have a downpour things would be much easier .
    polly x.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 12,612 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Hugs to Lame Wolf.xx

I find organic flour , oats and other foodstuffs are much easier on the stomach . I discovered that many years ago as youngest had IBS and eliminating a lot of the additives in ordinary flour and other basics made a big difference . Same with wholemeal dried pasta , the organic version .
    I hope the blood tests go well . I bought the new Matt Haig book on Friday - Notes on a nervous planet - I don't suffer with high anxiety levels but I have been feeling rather overloaded with lots to do and keep track of . It's a small book but already I've picked up pointers on how not to be so overwhelmed in a busy world .
    I will see if I can get that book, thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, I have noticed a big difference switching to organic, makes you wonder what is in normal supermarket bread, lots of rubbish, probably!

Fed up
    Originally posted by ArthriticOldThing
    Oh no, sounds like you have a lot on your plate. xx At least it was picked up in the other tests.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Jul 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'm not sure if Wolfy is reading but sending strength her way . It will take time to process your thoughts and possibly things that will add to your daily struggles .
    At such times posters seem useless but please know there are many on OS holding you both in their thoughts and sending love, light and positive vibes your way . xx

How are you AOT ? I hope you managed to see my post I somehow managed to type in your quote .

Was a bit cooler here this morning but the sun came through an hour or so ago and can now feel the indoor temperature rising again .
    I've been following the Thai rescue attempt on and off over the last few days . It makes me wish I could manage to master mindfulness . I've tried many times to be in the moment and focus but my brain is full of all sorts and refuses to be quieter .

I've been thinking how much better the world could be if people from many countries could be like those who united for the rescue .

Hope everyone's plodding along . Are things any easier at work Tink ? Make sure you're pacing yourself as much as possible . Did the tree project go ok ?

I admire how you crack on with your projects Prinzess , now you've done the boxes I expect you're into the cards . I hope you did manage to get to the cliffs . It's been too hot here for a wander to the beach .
    Sending best wishes to your Dear Mum , she's pretty amazing and I hope she copes with the heat .

Take care everyone

polly x
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 10th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 7,472 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Hello Polly. No, my flat is not sheltered accommodation unfortunately. I have applied for such housing but been told I don't qualify.
    I've seen my consultant rheumatologist and he agree that cannot have the meds until they find out what is causing problems with liver. I've had steroid injections but they don't last very long so its just 'put up or shut up' . With the state of the NHS I'm not expecting anything to move quickly.
    The only family I have near my eldest son and his wife and they do what they can but both work full time in demanding jobs. Luckily I have a good friend who accompanies me to hospital appointments etc and helps me with some shopping. Mainly shopping is done online.
    Glad your DD got thru all the alerts and that her liver results are now within acceptable limits.
    Am thinking about all we spoonies in this heat. I'm lucky in that living on a cliff overlooking the sea I get the benefit of sea breezes.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Elona
    polly

I do my stint at the library tomorrow afternoon and have waved off dd an hour or so ago.

She left with six big frozen portions of cottage pie, a dozen home made granola bars, a dozen bacon, cheese and onion savoury muffins and about twenty five "Twinks". I also loaded her up with rose lemonade, posh stock cube melts, pasta, chopped tomatoes and tins of creamed mushrooms. We also had a good long chat about recipes that I made years ago that saved me a lot of money as there were few ingredients and they did not cost much.

Hugs to all
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 13th Jul 18, 11:32 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi everyone!

So sorry to hear everyone is having such a hard time lately! Big hugs to everyone

I've been ok - thinks the tablets are helping and have had some good sleep! DH has put his back out so I've had to look after him which is hard as he usually looks after me!

I've been in my garden a lot - mostly on a night when it's cooler! We have took som huge trees out at the back at the garden looks awful - they were dying so needed to come out but looks so bare now! I really want some raised beds to grow veg in but DH says no - I think we will have to see as I really like the idea of drowning more veg!

I have my fist tomatoe and 4 little chillies in my chilli plant! My beans are climbing and my peas are starting! The sunflowers are struggling and so are the strawberries but I think it's the heat!

We are still struggling with money - we seem to just be going through so much lately - all the bills are paid but we have nothing to save each month? We talked and have decided to try to pull back in August and have a very low spend 6 weeks holiday!

Still quite down and work is hard but hopefully it's going to be resolved by Monday - it's just an exhausting process.

Hugs to everyone

Tink xx
    1p savings challenge 2018
    2 savings challenge
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 116,755 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm not sure if Wolfy is reading but sending strength her way . It will take time to process your thoughts and possibly things that will add to your daily struggles .
    At such times posters seem useless but please know there are many on OS holding you both in their thoughts and sending love, light and positive vibes your way . xx
    Thank you. x
    I think we're both still reeling. It kind of rammed it all home when Mr LW went online to declare himself to DVLA. He's still allowed to drive, but the law requires that he notify them.

At least I have little Benji here this weekend - he's just staying overnight, but just having a canine presence for a bit is good.

Uh, oh - I've just been informed that the bedlinen has been stripped, so my attendance is now required as Mr LW doesn't know how to drive the WM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

8,617Users online

Martin's Twitter