Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 2,299Posts
    • 21,875Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 84
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 6th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    Tink_04
    LW I have survived! I went to bed at 9pm last night and managed to get some rest!

Took the kids to a show this morning then for lunch, it was bright but still freezing cold along the coast.

Went to Mr M shopping and got a big soap powder for £7 and loads of wonky veg really cheap. A chicken for Sunday and that!!!8217;s dinner sorted.

Hoping to have a chill out tomorrow littlest is at football in the afternoon but that!!!8217;s it so might see if we all wrap up and go for a walk if it!!!8217;s dry or might just try to catch up in the house. Will see.

Me and DH are going to watch a film tonight and have a bit tome together as hardly seen each other! No idea what we are going to watch but I hope I stay awake for it!

Have a great weekend everyone

Tink
    1p savings challenge 2018
    £2 savings challenge
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Apr 18, 1:58 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well today the spoon shortage has caught up with me!
    Home on the sofa feeling awful, I think I have a cold and Iím just so tired and achy that today has been written off.

Luckily we didnít need to do anything today really so DH has been in the garden with the kids (until the rain started) and now took DS to football while me and DD are watching Tom and Jerry!

Soup out of the freezer for lunch and took some spag Bol out of the freezer for tea so I donít need to worry about that. Batch cooking is great for me as it means I can cook on my good days and have home cooked stuff from the freezer when Iím not so good.

Have a good weekend everyone
    £2 savings challenge
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 26,029 Posts
    • 106,154 Thanks
    candygirl
    Tink I can spare you a couple of teaspoons, but I need the rest myself. I have two Cavapoos staying; one 4 years old, the sort of size you'd expect (ie quite small), and a good little chap; the other is 10 months old, the size of a large Standard Poodle, and running me ragged. It's just "puppiness" if that makes sense, but it's very tiring!
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    My Niece has a cavapoo called Boo, n she's so sweet Talking of pups, i'm getting a little boy staffy called Zeus bext month. Bonnie is sooo excited
    Health wise , i'm not too bad, still v sore n exhausted, but that's not gonna get better anyone soon, so I might as well get on wirh it !!!128521;
    Healing huggles to all xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Candy that's good news about another staffy . Bonnie will have so much fun .

I think many have been achy and spoonless over the last few months . I've been flaring and short on sleep as has dd . All the new appointments have been hard to keep up with .

Had a nightmare with CMHT . I was leaving messages asking for a return call to discuss why they weren't needed and not receiving replies . They were due to call here last Wednesday and by Monday I'd decided I'd have to go there on Tuesday and sort it in the building .
    Thankfully I finally got a call back from probably the only person with a brain cell . Very long conversation pointing out dd already had everything required and did not need any of their " help ".
    Message was passed on to person assigned to the case and accepted .
    It must be dreadful to need them urgently and not be able to contact them . It's always been a recorded message .

The sun has finally shown it's face today , not really warm but the horrible dampness has gone . Let's hope we'll get better days .

I hope everything went well on Thursday Wolfy , I had you both in mind and was sending the positive vibes .

So how is everyone else ? I haven't been online much recently . Wishing you all some sun , warmth and spoons in abundance .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Apr 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Prescription Charges from April 2018 .

I've been meaning to post this for the past month .

Charge per item is now £8.80 .

Annual PPC frozen again at £104.00.

3 month PPC also frozen at £29.10 .

Anyone on regular meds needing to pay for prescriptions on a regular basis . Do the maths and see if the PPC is money saving .

I pay dds annually upfront and Wolfy does with hers . There is a direct debit option available if you prefer to spread the cost .

DDs monthly meds picked up the day after her last ppc expired more than covered the £104.00 outlay so the next 11 months are "free "

Hope everyone is ok . Is it back to school tomorrow Tink ?

You've been quiet Prinzess so I hope all is well with you both .

I saw your good news on the Fence Wolfy . I've fallen behind on posts lately and have been catching up .
    That news must the best thing ever for both of you . I imagine each of you have been anxious about possible outcomes individually .
    I'm so glad that big fear has lifted . Shame it took so long to get there but well worth the wait . Hope you get some sun and a chance to be in the garden .

Sending positive vibes to all posters and readers . Take care all .
    polly x
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 17th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi everyone!

Well kids are back to school this week and the madness is back! Iím trying to take everything a bit easier and to be honest by this time in the year Iím just trying to make it till the end of the school year.

FIL has been in hospital and MIL is disabled so having to look after them both a lot lately. They have Carers come in but itís just things like making sure they are eating and safe.

Work has been ok although there is loads of pressure to do overtime and itís being pitched as Ďeveryone needs to do their bití Iím sorry but I work part time and Iím not killing myself to do more as all that will happen is ill be off sick? They donít seem to get this tho?

Im still going swimming and to the gym and I can feel a difference - im sore today tho as I went yesterday but I feel better in the long run and the weight is coming off still which is good.

We are hoping to take the kids abroad this year but looking at the cost I just donít think we can manage it - DD is 8 and she took it really well - I said we might try and book a caravan holiday instead so we can still have a break and she thought that was a great idea! Iíve been looking and I can get something for 4 days for under £300 for 4 of us. We always take our own food and have a lovely time. Itís a shame as me and DH have not been abroad for 12 years and the kids have never been but with the stuff that needs doing in the house and the lack of savings we have after moving last year I donít think I can pull it off without being very skint or going into debt and the stress is not worth it. Will see if we can make a holiday chart and start doubting some money saving things with the kids so we can Ďwatchí the savings go up for a holiday next year.

I had batch cooked loads of meals for the freezer again so having a chilli for tea and the kids have had the spag bol. So Iím hoping I can keep this stocked and have some easy meals for tea as meal planning is something Iím not great at although I try!

Hope everyone is ok - Iím off to catch up now!

Tink
    £2 savings challenge
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 17th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Polly - I!!!8217;ve just seen your post about the flap jacks - I!!!8217;m going to have a look on the thread now - if they are simple enough maybe the kids could help make them and they might be more inclined to eat them!

I did use dto to fruit tubs for extra breakfast on the way to school to eat in the car but the tubs got left in the car or taken into school and some days I!!!8217;d forget and it just got a bit lost!

Must try harder!
    £2 savings challenge
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 17th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 31,400 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Tink, my sister is in Spain at the moment in an apartment that cost 100 euro for 5 days. It's in Benalmadena. She says it' basic but clean. It sleeps 4. Her flight cost 70 euro return (she lives in Ireland). The house troll and myself are going to go for a week there next year at the same time as sister does. If you want any info I'll ask her for you once she gets back. The flight is booked separate from the apartment. Her sister in law and 2 nieces have gone with her and they seem to be having a lovely time.

Hello all, bit of a nil return here. I no longer have a hole it my leg, just a dint but it's still sore and swollen. We've also found a doctor that is taking the house troll's joint pain seriously so it's all good.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th Apr 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Tink it's hard keeping an eye on elderly relatives when life is already full . I'm sorry you're under pressure at work too . " Everyone needs to do their bit " seems to be modern working practice . If you have set working hours it should be optional rather than a form of blackmail . I know things are tough nowadays but if you run a company have the correct staffing levels rather than loading the work on to regular staff .
    It's good you're managing to keep up with the swimming and gym and beginning to see and feel the benefits . Positive for both physical and mental health .
    Well done for still doing the batch cooking . You put me to shame !
    Hopefully the better weather will mean the children wont need as much indoor entertaining and can run off a lot of excess energy in the fresh air .
    Cranky has an excellent suggestion for a holiday if not this year next .
    The idea of tracking the holiday pot will interest the children and is also a good way of deflecting a lot of the treat requests in the summer months .

Cranky I'm very pleased the house troll is in good hands . That is such a relief for you and let's hope positive for any treatment and management .
    It's not so good to read your leg is still not right . It's such a long time since it happened and you must be very frustrated . Hold close the dear friend who encouraged you to have it looked at , you don't get many like that .

I'm wondering how everyone is . I know there's been some poor weather over in the east so I've pictured AOT , Prinzess and others hunkered down .

Wolfy appears to have either been abducted by the Fencers or defected from here ! So no doggy updates .

How are you now Itisme ? It's been a very bad few months for flares so I hope you're getting some respite from them now .

Wednesday is probably out in the sun and hopefully the other posters too . I've had you in mind Pauline and hope things aren't so bleak now .

Anyway to everyone I can't keep typing to each of you or it will be dark . Will catch up either later , fingers permitting or later tomorrow depending how the MSE forum update goes .

Take care all
    polly x
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 26,274 Thanks
    caronc
    Sorry not posted for a bit - in a nutshell so far 2018 has been quite tough so many, many "spoons" over-used. Think I'm getting there now if only the unsettled weather would calm down.
    Still the gardening season has started and I've lots of seedlings popping through, like them I hope the warmer months make everyone flourish
    GC - May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £69/£140
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'm sorry to hear things have been tough so far this year caronc . It seems to have been the sort of weather that brings on flares and hits hard . I know the weather hasn't been good north of the border poor Mar over on the fence is desperate for some sunny , warm days .
    From a dull but warmish grey start we finally got the sun over on the NW coast today mid afternoon . It makes such a difference pain and mood wise . Had it been hotter it could have been an August afternoon .
    I watched the sun sink over the sea in a blaze of red , gold and orange this evening . I hope the good weather will head your way too . Take care it's been a long winter but you'll be pottering around the garden soon . have you done the tomato plant count yet ? At least you've done the sowing and nuturing so all should be well .
    It's lovely to see you and catch up although sad you haven't been too good . Sending shiny spoons and gentle hugs . If tomorrow is warm here I'll try and blow the warm weather over the border .

polly x
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 26,274 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks polly - not done the tommy count yet, they are still popping through and I've more to sow. Here's to a good growing season x
    GC - May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £69/£140
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th Apr 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'm very behind on sowing . It's been busy with so many new referrals for youngest but well worth it . I may end up buying tomato plants if I can remember where I used to order them from when i was to late to sow . Eldest daughter will remember as we used to buy each other gift vouchers . The joy of a foggy brain !

Hope you sleep well . MSE will be taking the forum site down at 10pm .It's already loading faster than earlier today so hopefully all will be well in the morning .
    polly x
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 19th Apr 18, 8:12 AM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 32,616 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Good morning lovely posters, sun shining here for the second day running (not really a jump, just a gentle bounce)

Another one who seems to have struggled through the long cold and wet winter, more snow this time than in the six years we have lived here. Last month or so I have definitely had more energy and feel brighter in myself, although joint pain is flaring.

Loving the gardening chat, I don't grow anything to eat, nor raise my own flower seeds ATM as we spend too much time away in our caravan. I have been spending a few 1+ hour sessions trying to reclaim my herbaceous borders, it feels so good to be out there, but I have to talk myself out of being upset at how it is now, all has been totally out of my control, so no good being down about it. I have exactly 7 days to make an impression on the weeds and alpine strawberry plants before we leave for 3.1/2 weeks holiday in Scotland, feeling really torn about it, but looking forward to seeing new places.

Hugs and spoons, apologies for not making specific comments to individuals, read often and regularly send positive thoughts. Take care all.
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Apr 18, 10:31 AM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning maddie . I really understand about the garden . I started helping my dad and grandads on their allotments as a small child and gardens have always been my life .

Mine are a struggle now and I've gone more towards large raised beds and pots . I was weighing it up yesterday and there are loads of weeds to tackle . I find short spells with a sit in the sun every now and then helps to bring back some sort of order . Having evergreens and perennials means permanent planting which is easier than annuals and short lived plants .

I imagine the benefits of breaks away with the caravan are good so it's a case of do what you can in the garden and at home we're not aiming for superwoman status .

Lovely and sunny here today and it really lifts the spirits after all the grey gloom . I'm tempted to put away the warmer clothes but here in the North it's ne'er cast a clout til May be out ! We shall see .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well yesterday turned into a very hot day . It was like summer here and was lovely to feel some sun and warmth . It didn't reach the horrible humid point thankfully . It's sunny again today but not as hot , just really good to see and really lifts the mood . I hope everyone has seen some of the same . The sciatica isn't as bad today so I'm thankful for that , I was beginning to think it would never calm down .
    I have lots needing catching up on both in the house and garden so will try setting the timer and taking a break in between . I'll get the hang of this pacing one way or the other

The seated Tai Chi dvd does seem to be helping a bit so I may become a bit more adventurous with exercising .

I hope all is well with you all . I haven't seen Wolfy around so hope she's ok . Maybe she's off on holiday .

Well time for a bit of lunch . I will sort some clothing more suitable for the sunny days out and put away most of winter today . Dd is still stuck in the neverending flares so instead of going to her counselling appointment today it's being done online . That young counsellor is a treasure , she just modifies things where needed .

Have a good day all if possible . I aim to get into the garden later and do a little out there .

polly x
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 20th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    • 10,739 Posts
    • 118,122 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Wolfy appears to have either been abducted by the Fencers or defected from here ! So no doggy updates .
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    No, you don't get rid of me that easily. Life the Universe and Everything has meant I've had to curtail my time on MSE for a while - I didn't log on at all Wed and Thur this week, as we were out all day Wed and playing catch-up with surveys, incoming post and household tasks Thurs.

Having some probs with the ol' paws too, so keeping typing to a minimum. Seem to have pulled something in my left thumb, can't grip anything in the "normal" way. It's a pig cos I'm left-handed.

However, I've just seen Candygirl's news re a new Boy Staffy Pup; so that's exciting stuff.
    Re doggies here - I was dogless for 10 days, but now have Dusty for the weekend. He's a little "Bitzer" (bits o' this and bits o' that) and it's his first stay here.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 20-04-2018 at 2:09 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wolfy both dd and I lefties . In my case I'm hopeless trying to use the right one for anything . Dd is a bit more adaptable for some things .
    Oddly dd has had an awful time lately with her hands and fingers . Last week our GP had a good look and said Synovitis - that doesn't look right but hopefully you understand what I mean - He's going to do a steroid injection . She already has tendonitis in one foot from years ago . I doubt you'll fancy a trip to the docs but the odd steroid injection can give some respite .

Typing is such a pain . I'm already spotting typos in this post sometimes it's too much effort to go back and edit .

Have a lovely weekend with Dusty . I hope you feel a little better asap .

pollyx
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 20th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 7,477 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Well my hands are just about good enough to type at last. Been quite sore & painful for a good while. Hopefully warmer weather is helping them.
    Hope you don't mind me having a bit of a whinge. I've not had a good start to the year. Annual health check in January threw up some odd results on Liver - quite high readings - so while they tried to sort that out I've had to stop 2 meds, a Statin (which I was pleased to stop) and the Sulfasalazine (sorry about spelling). That was 3 months ago and by now I'm having real problems with day to day living.
    Finally had Ultrasound and saw GP today about results. Seems I'm showing sign of fatty liver and fatty pancreas so can't restart the meds til more tests done.
    Am definitely fed up now. Lovely sunshine but can't get out into it.
    Right whinge over. Sorry about that.
    Hope you all can enjoy some warmth and sunshine.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 21,875 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Oh AOT that isn't a whinge it's just stating the facts and is one of the reasons this thread exists . A trouble shared is a trouble halved .

Are you on an Disease Modifying med ? I assume you have regular blood tests . No mention of fatty liver but just a few weeks ago dd had to have her full bloods repeated the next week as they were pointing to liver and other issues . It turned out it was the constant flares she's been having which were skewing the readings .
    I can't imagine how you must feel without the medication for such a long time . We wait a long time for some sun and warmth so I really feel for you trying to cope day to day while longing for a bit of the outdoors .
    Please come here as often as you can , you aren't alone .
    Take care
    polly x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

5,315Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin