Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 2,165Posts
    • 20,044Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 81
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 28,187 Thanks
    Primrose
    I wonder if anybody has been following The activities of Dr. Rangan Chattergee recently. He,a the GP who had some programmes on tv a while back trying to persuade patients to come off their medication and to improve their medical conditions by changing their lifestyles, diets, etc.

I,ve just read his book, the 4 pillars of Health (Relaxation, Diet, Movement, Sleep) , which makes interesting reading and talks a lot of common sense, saying that previously at medical school doctors were not taught about the imoact that getting these factors wrong could have on all kinds of medical conditions.

Hes certainly encouraged me to think more carefully about the impact some so simple lifestyle changes could have on my own health. I love his idea of exercise snacking, ie doing things like a dozen squats in the kitchen while waiting for the morning kettle to boil. For people who find exercise difficult for medical reasons, I think his strategies may be helpful and his book is well worth reading for some simple practical ideas for lifestyle changes

His website, Dr. Chattergee.com has some very interesting educational podcast discussions with various medical experts on the impact lifestyle changes can have on health and medical conditions and are worth listening to for anybody prepared to make the time to listen.
    Last edited by Primrose; 10-03-2018 at 8:50 PM.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,861 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi everyone!

It!!!8217;s been a while - things are crazy here and I!!!8217;ve not been great. Kids are working themselves all the time and I know it!!!8217;s a phase but it!!!8217;s exhausting. It makes me feel like I!!!8217;m failing as a parent
    I!!!8217;m pushing myself more and more with the swimming and gym but it!!!8217;s not getting any easier.
    I!!!8217;ve lost a stone in weight but I!!!8217;m still so tired and finding it very up and down.

Hope everyone is well and happy mother!!!8217;s day to all the mums!

Xx
    1p savings challenge 2018
    2 savings challenge
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I!!!8217;ve lost a stone in weight
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    Well done!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 10,588 Posts
    • 115,967 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Enjoy Lizzie no idea how it is weather wise in Concrete Cow Country but we're back to grey , damp and gloomy today after yesterdays cold but sunny . Wrap up warm and get out as much as you can during Lizzies holiday .
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Ha ha, we got soaked this morning; Lizzie's first walk of the day is 07:00, so the strategy is throw on yesterday's clothes, walk and feed her, then see about the daily bath.
    Luckily Lizzie is good about being towel dried; and she trots along very nicely with the mobility buggy; and she constantly has her nose to the ground (typical Spaniel!)
    I'm so glad of my nice warm ski jacket; no I don't ski, but you may remember I won a 200 voucher to be spent in the Xscape shops, and the jacket was bought with part of that. I also have waterproof trousers, leggings and boots.

Itisme: Pacing? What's that, then? I've never gotten the hang of it, and invariably end up knocking myself into Tuesday week by doing too much when I ought to stop and rest.

Tink: Well done on the weight loss. The 2 stone of extraneous lard I need to shift is stubbornly determined to stay put.

Curly Top: Nice to "see" you.
    I'm another who doesn't do "support groups". They seem to me to be either a "my pain trumps your pain" competition, or else I'm not welcomed because I'm somewhat ...er... unconventional in my outlook. In any case, with crippling social phobia, I'd sooner cut off my leg with a rusty bread knife than attend a gathering of hoomans!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 13th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Thanks for the kind words Polly. The eye is getting better; I'm just struggling today with my knee that I hurt after I fell on the black ice from a leak in the pavement. I've got an appointment for physio in April, so will plod on till then ....literally haha.

How do you manage pacing, especially when having a flare? What are your fave low-spoon activities?
    Originally posted by Itisme
    Tbh, I don't. When I have a flare up, I want to do very little so just do light duties and have plenty of rests inbetween.

I watched a programme on youtube about Dr Rangan Chattergee, the episode where the lady was suffering with fibromyalgia (something I have) and various other conditions and had a host of medication to get her through the day. Then I read Primrose's post and have today picked up his book from the library as I felt a lot of what he said on the programme made complete sense.

Tink: well done on the weight loss.

Lamewolf: You are so spot on with your summing up of 'support' groups. I'm getting to be less tolerant of other folk, the older I get.

Keep fighting the good fight everyone
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,861 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi feeling a bit more organised starting this week - the chaos of the kids is so exhausting at times but I!!!8217;m trying to plan plan plan so I!!!8217;m organised!

Still using up the contents of the freezer so a HM curry sauce from the freezer and the last of the chicken from Sunday!!!8217;s dinner (kids had chicken and HM chips)

All my bills are sorted this month and I!!!8217;m just waiting for pay day (again) had the added expense of the guttering being damaged by the snow storm so had to replace that. Still have not had the rubbish bin emptied either so on Thursday it will be 4 weeks!

I!!!8217;ve been
    2 savings challenge
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Late night post from me . Not sure what time Mr Wolfs appt is tomorrow Wolfy but the candle will be lit .
    This has been a busy week so will aim to catch up on posts tomorrow .
    Take care all
    polly x
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 15th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,861 Thanks
    Tink_04
    It is wild outside today! Really windy and grey today. Thinking of doing some meal prep today if I can, trying to get organised again - got a really busy day today too but will see how it goes!
    It!!!8217;s finally bin day! It!!!8217;s a good job it!!!8217;s so full or it would have blown down the street today!
    Hope everyone is doing ok this week and taking it easy!

Tink
    2 savings challenge
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 10,588 Posts
    • 115,967 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Late night post from me . Not sure what time Mr Wolfs appt is tomorrow Wolfy but the candle will be lit .
    This has been a busy week so will aim to catch up on posts tomorrow .
    Take care all
    polly x
    Hold the candle, Polly. Mr LW had a call this morning, the Consultant is off ill, so his appointment has been deferred to 16:00 on 12th April. A whole four weeks extra wait.

Looking for the good in this, it does take the pressure off me a bit as he's invited his pal over this evening, which is of course stressful in itself for me, and I was worrying how to get Lizzie walked and fed and get our dinner done without knocking myself out, as Mr Wolf likely wouldn't have been back til about 17:30 - later if the Consultant was running late.

I had a panic moment this morning - Postie brought me a brown envelope from DWP, so of course my heart leapt into my mouth. It was only notification of the new rate of PIP for the new fiscal year, though.
    I do wonder if they understand the utter fear that their communications engender!
    Last edited by LameWolf; 15-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    LameWolf
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Bit par for the course re the appt Wolfy we've had a few shifted ahead for similar reasons .

In true pollyanna mode I do agree that it means you have only one challenge today . Doesn't help much with the waiting for some answers which is the hard part though .

I'll note the date and time in the diary and light the candle accordingly .
    A couple of weeks ago I began to wonder if there was such a thing as brown envelope syndrome . As I'm retired I've had letters add that to receiving them as dds appointee I've spent time recently walking away and making a brew while psyching myself up to open the darn things .

I think they should use white envelopes for the ones that aren't going to start full panic mode and reserve the brown ones for the nasties .

Still trying to get the hands and head to unite to reply to posts I've missed !

polly x
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 15th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,861 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well didn!!!8217;t manage to get much done today at all! DS was at the Drs then back to school and out early for another appointment this afternoon - has impertigo again and it!!!8217;s all round his eyes this time.

Ran and emptied the DW and brought the kids straight back from school as we got soaked and the weather is horrendous! We are definitely staying put!

Didn!!!8217;t make it o the shops so no eggs but on the plus no spends! Really tired today and just watching a movie with the kids until it!!!8217;s time for bath, think we all need a chill out!
    2 savings challenge
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I was a long way into a long reply which included Tink , Curly Top and Primrose with more replies to go when windows blanked the screen and started to install an unwanted and without warning update .
    It then closed everything down and all attempts to locate my post have failed .

For now briefly as I'm losing the will to go on - Very rude of windows

Tink stop running yourself ragged and judging yourself . You're doing a good job at the cost of your health so never think you're not a good enough mum . I hope your sons eye improves quickly . Impetigo is very unpleasant especially near the eye .

Curly Top has the knee eased off somewhat ? Physio will sort it so I hope it will be more bearable as you wait .

Primrose I'm afraid I turned pale at the mention of a dozen squats .
    Way beyond me now but good for you . You remind me of Wednesday who's very much into finding different ways .
    I'm too old and just getting through the day now as it comes .

Itisme I am one who's bad at pacing I start with good intentions when I have a few spoons but don't stop in time .
    I reckon Wolfy and I are in the norty corner when it comes to pacing

Well I'm off to mutter at the horror that is windows , they've just compounded my anger by trying to install an unwanted office update .

Wishing all posters , readers and the regulars not yet back a peaceful night and spoons tomorrow .

AOT it looks as though you may have some cold weather heading your way , lets hope the forecast is wrong .

Usual Dr , shopping etc tomorrow so windows permitting I may see you all later tomorrow .
    polly x
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

I had a panic moment this morning - Postie brought me a brown envelope from DWP, so of course my heart leapt into my mouth. It was only notification of the new rate of PIP for the new fiscal year, though.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    I'm going to finally call up to get the form to apply for PIP on Monday.

I thought that I might as well apply even if I don't get it.

I've had a stressful week as my loo needed fixing and we had a hospital appointment with the cancer consultant for my husband and two vet visits with my dogs. One of my dogs needed another day at the vet for scans and tests. His heart is much worse and he needs to be on more medication. He might have Cushing's disease too. He has to go back for another test next week. It cost us about 650 this week alone.

One good thing is that the pet insurance will pay out next week as the vet called them. They had been taking ages to pay out, over 3 months!

Sorry, just whining on here today. It hasn't been a great week for me.
    Last edited by Wednesday2000; 16-03-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    Books Read 24/60
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 16th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 28,187 Thanks
    Primrose

Primrose I'm afraid I turned pale at the mention of a dozen squats .
    Way beyond me now but good for you . You remind me of Wednesday who's very much into finding different ways .
    I'm too old and just getting through the day now as it comes .

polly x

Polly - I try not to think about my age too often although I'm only a couple of years away from my 80th . When I creak a little I remind myself of a chum who's now 92 and still has a busier social diary than I do, as well as still running her own dog sitting business.

Just do what you can! . It's good to push yourself a little if you do it in a controlled way. It's sometimes surprising how "little and often" can build up your stamina and strength.

If you're familiar with the internet, browse YouTube exercises for seniors. There are all sorts of exercises on there, some of them chair based, which can help build up your core strength.
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 16th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Forecast appears to have been correct Polly.. Is dreadful weather just now. Wind, rain, and freezing cold. Had to pop across road to post birthday card and nearly got blown off my feet. That is not easy as I am definitely on the heavier side. Wind is soooooooooooo cold and raw.
    Hope everyone else is keeping warm and safe.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 16th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,861 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well the weather is getting worse! Was at a funeral today and it was an emotional - long day. Was out pretty much most of the day as left at 9 and not home till half 2.

Back Just in time to rush home and put the heating on and get something sorted for tea. Got the kids from school (in blizzard conditions) quick pasta for them and stick some chicken in the SC for me and DH later on.

Both kijs had swimming lessons and not long home now so tried but the chicken smells lovely so glad I put it in as I would have probably got a take away otherwise.

This weekend should be ok DS asked for an indoor picnic tomorrow which will be nice and use up some bits too. Still haven!!!8217;t managed to cook some meals for the freezer as I need to replenish the HM !!!8216;ready meals!!!8217; as I!!!8217;ve been using loads, only have a shepherds pie left so must gat batch cooking.

Wednesday - I!!!8217;m sure we have discussed PIP before you should definitely apply - I had a 2 year battle but it!!!8217;s worth it in the end!

Thanks for the kind words Polly - think we have just had a hard week. Kids make you doubt yourself a lot! Me and DH have booked a 2 night spa break for his birthday next month and think that will help give us both a break. DS eye is still not right but it!!!8217;s not bothering him too much so will continue with the cream over the weekend and see how he goes.

I know AOT - it!!!8217;s horrendus her in the north east! Hope everyone is well and staying home and warm in this awful weather.

Tink
    2 savings challenge
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Wednesday - I!!!8217;m sure we have discussed PIP before you should definitely apply - I had a 2 year battle but it!!!8217;s worth it in the end!
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    Oh yes, I thought a couple of people on here said that they had a nightmare with applying.
    Books Read 24/60
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 17th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,861 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I!!!8217;m sure you can get support when you are applying from groups and CAB if you struggle. DH did mine and it was an exhausting process, I quit once as they made me feel like I was scrounging but that is not the case at all! Stand your ground they told me I looked too healthy and well dressed? What that has to do with having a diagnosed disability is beyond me! X
    2 savings challenge
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 10,588 Posts
    • 115,967 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I reckon Wolfy and I are in the norty corner when it comes to pacing
    And that's the truth!!
    I was out in the cold, cold snow - literally - at 07:00 this morning, for Lizzie's early morning walk. So that's all today's spoons gone. She's worth it though; she's a little ray of sunshine, and wonderful company.
    She's going home tomorrow, I shall really miss her.

We have a 10-day break, then we have two Cavapoos coming to stay on March 28th; they are new guests, I've met them once, when they came for their Meet'n'Greet visit. Buddy is 4 years old, and very confident and outgoing, and the larger chap, Indi, is just 9 months old and into everything, as puppies do; so I reckon they'll keep us on our toes.

I've also had to empty a freezer drawer for them, as they are on the BARF diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) so freezer space is required to store their food.

Stay safe and warm, everyone; don't venture out over the weekend if you don't need to. Mr Wolf tells me this latest cold snap is supposed to finish about Monday.
    LameWolf
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 17th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    Wednesday, I must be one of the lucky ones we rarely hear about as was awarded PIP (Standard Daily Care) at first time of asking. Had the review last year and was very apprehensive but no bother, was awarded the standard rate for daily care and mobility this time round.
    I found both assessors very professional and helpful, and although I did not agree with some of the remarks made at last year's F2F none of it was derogatory. The whole process for me took less than 3 months.
    Do get some help to complete the form. I used AGE UK both times (can't hold a pen long enough to fill in a form) and they were very helpful. The only problem was that they are so busy I couldn't get an appointment before the due date to return the form though I found DWP no bother when I rang and asked for an extension.
    So do have a go and don't be put off by all the terrible experiences some unfortunate people have had.
    Well at least we have had no snow yet Tink, although it's a cold raw wind out there. I hope you've been as lucky.
    Last edited by ArthriticOldThing; 17-03-2018 at 3:41 PM. Reason: grammar
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

6,257Users online

Martin's Twitter