Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 2,126Posts
    • 19,519Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 80
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 114,313 Thanks
    LameWolf
    At least Lizzie will be with you in a week and hopefully the weather will be much improved Wolfy . I'll be sending the lavender vibes for the meet and greet on Thursday . I do keep everyone here in mind whether I'm posting or not .

I totally understand you not wanting any more interrogations now . DD was fairly calm on the surface during the assessment but I'd had to keep assuring her right up to entering the building which held nothing but bad memories for her that this was one final make or break visit . Had it gone badly we'd have never gone back .
    It was just odd to not need to pull out a long list and try to challenge the Psych !

She's only just turned 33 so worth that last attempt . The most important thing for her is she is finally believed . We finally got our paws on all the mental health history which had been missing from the notes we requested a while ago . I have a thick wad of A4 going back to the original Asperger wrong diagnosis 20 years ago .

Repeated feedback from many MH professionals mentioning BPD and recommending DBT and support . We hadn't received that information before the appt but thanks to a tireless GP who remembers his pledge to first do no harm it's here now .

I've always been a committed environmentalist but am wondering if just this once Mother Earth can forgive a helluva bonfire to burn all the downright rubbish letters that have come through the letterbox over the years . I'm dithering over that and may shred instead and bury them in the garden . I don't have a shredder strong enough or the energy to dig big holes right now but I'll think things through .

How is MR Wolfy now . Is sleep any better for you both ? Hope the bad black dog hasn't visited too often . I've booted it through the door a few times recently but spring is coming , the clocks go forward in a few weeks and we'll start turning towards the light once more .

We have had some wonderful moons over the past few months . I always think of you when I'm moon gazing and the Wolf Moon had your name on it .

Like you the snowdrops are up , my much loved oddly named Summer Snowflakes too and the tiny old fashioned Welsh Primroses are in bud . A few more intrepid birds among my residents are gathering bits of twigs and stuff with intent . So the world keeps turning and we're all still here so things could be much worse .

Take care
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    At 33 it is definitely worth your DD's while; on the other hand I shall be 58 next month, so really and truly don't have enough time left in this vale of tears to make the fight worthwhile.

I'm sure Mother Earth would forgive a bonfire - I confess I had one when I left school, of all my school notebooks! Specially if you dig the ash into your garden afterwards. But I'd hold fire on getting rid of anything just yet; just in case you need it to show at some point what carp the poor lass has been put through over the years.

Mr Wolf has has all his tests at the horse-piddle; but he is still waiting for an appointment to see the consultant. He has phoned twice already; the first time they came back and said the consultant's secretary was on sick leave; and the second time he left a message on the answering service, and has not had anyone come back to him. I am trying to encourage him to be a "squeaky wheel" and phone again.

Good news is that we have this morning had our inspection from the chap from the Council, and will be licenced for another year of dog-sitting.

If we're quoting songs, by the way, how about these words from Damh the Bard:

Far away would I fly
    And I'll never look back to where I've been;
    I never plan on being there again.
    And the world keeps turning,
    So I guess I'll just fly on, and when I land,
    I'll dust myself off and start again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYnFXB3XYYw
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Low on spoons recently; I think the weather has definitely contributed to that. It's not just that it's cold, but also the high humidity and changes in air pressure.

Trying to get on with things, but I know I need to pace too, as sometimes I overdo it which doesn't help anything.

Got dry skin and keep forgetting to look for moisturiser -- hopefully writing here will remind me.

Have been too tired/nauseated to cook much, so mostly been snacking -- although at least I try to balance the biscuits with bananas, for example (not at the same time! haha). I will try to eat better today though, I'm really hungry -- baby steps!
    Originally posted by Itisme
    Welcome to the thread . I can't work out if you're one of the posters who lost their original user name during the password change or new on this thread ,
    Either way it's good to see you and I have a little store of shiny spoons at the moment so sending a few your way .
    This weather and needing to turn up the heat doesn't help with dry skin so find the moisturiser and wack it on .

polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Brilliant news on the licence Wolfy , another year of furry guests , love and laughs .

Mr Wolf really does need to be that squeaky wheel . We know it's the only way nowadays to get results . Literally being a broken record eventually makes them sort things just to shut you up . I hope you can convince him to keep up the bombardment . It's worrying and frustrating waiting for a consultant after this length of time and I can empathise on this .

I appreciate your approval of the burning of the years of dross . All the paperwork we received recently shows in a lot less paper everything in concise reports and fits in an A4 file with lots of room to spare .
    I feel it would be healing for us both to let it burn and then nourish the earth rather than hang around like a bad smell .

Those beautiful words from the Bard will be printed out and I may ask DD if she wants to stitch them or myself . The fire is symbolic and I'm picturing the Pheonix rising from the ashes . Think I've got the spelling wrong there !

Thank you for your support and the others who've posted here . I hope that appt comes soon .

polly x
    • Itisme
    • By Itisme 5th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Itisme
    Welcome to the thread . I can't work out if you're one of the posters who lost their original user name during the password change or new on this thread ,
    Either way it's good to see you and I have a little store of shiny spoons at the moment so sending a few your way .
    This weather and needing to turn up the heat doesn't help with dry skin so find the moisturiser and wack it on .

polly x
    New to the thread, sorry I didn't make it clear. Thanks!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 114,313 Thanks
    LameWolf
    In which case, may I also offer you a very warm welcome.
    LameWolf
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    No problem it's nice to see you here . It's a bit quiet on here at the moment but as the weather improves other friends will come back . Winter is pretty challenging for many of us but now spring is hopefully heading this way we'll reconnect and carry on .

polly
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    to Itisme.

DD finally got got her BPD diagnosis on February 7th after 20 years of fighting the wrong diagnosis . It was weird in a way . We'd worked on a massive bullet point list which had been compiled from 20 years of paperwork . Consultant Psychiatrist shook hands and within 5 minutes stated BPD . List was not really needed and we were both stunned .

Oh wow, finally!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I was just saying on here that I am going to try gluten-free for a month to see if that helps with fibro pain. I was watching two American doctors on YouTube called Dr. Rutherford and Dr. Gates and he was saying that he has always seen a huge improvement in his fibro patients when they go gluten-free.

It's worth a try anyway.
    Books Read 24/60
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 26,027 Posts
    • 106,139 Thanks
    candygirl
    Hi girlies
    Sorry i've been MIA recently, but i've had a lot on, n am feeling poop with the cold in my joints !!!128547;
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Sending lavender vibes Wolfy .

Good to see you back candy and Wednesday . Cold here today candy but sunny so hoping the warm weather will come soon to ease those painful joints .

I'll post properly later today , trying to catch up on a bit of housework while I have a couple of spoons .
    polly
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 114,313 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Quick update - Mr Wolf phoned the health centre again, and now has an appt with the consultant next Thursday.

Meet'n'greet with Dusty Dog done; he turned out to be roughly Border Terrier sized; it wasn't clear from the photo they put online of him, and we were a little concerned that I might not manage him, as he's a puller; but I took him for a trial walk, and he'll be fine. Didn't mind the mobility buggy either.
    LameWolf
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Finally back there's been quite a lot going on over on the Fence and I'm trying to play catch up over there too .
    I hope the meet and greet went well today Wolfy and can stop sending so many vibes

Still trying to catch up on all you've done Wednesday but did see you'd stopped the Lyrica and another med and seem to be managing ok . it's strange how different things work for us . You mentioned swimming a while ago so I'm not sure if you've started that yet . DD needs heat and physio don't allow her to swim but move her limbs with the support of the warm water hopefully that will change in future .

Where exercise is concerned we haven't had a lot of time for even a short stroll . If a chance has come the weather has been against us . Still have the physio exercises to do at home which help a bit but need muscles building a bit better .

I tried to see if I could still balance on one leg a while ago , total fail although it did amuse the audience .
    I ordered a dvd Seated Tai Chi for Arthritis which seems to have helped people with Rheumatoid and other conditions so will give that a go

I've been thinking of our other friends during this weather and hoping they're managing . Tink and curlytop and those who need to get to work must have had quite a time this winter .

I can't do a long list but hoping all are ok .

pollyx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I was typing slowly Wolfy as you were posting .

So glad Mr Wolf has the appointment sorted . Welcome to dusty who sounds a nice little chap .

DD was very touched by the extract from learning to fly and your kindness taking the time to type those words . That will be stitched as she learns to fly as much as she can away from the past and into the present and future . You're a good soul Thank You x
    polly
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Polly - I haven't noticed feeling any worse being off the Lyrica which is strange. My GP said some fibro patients can come off it after a while and others have to take it for years. Not entirely sure why?

I am trying gluten-free this month and seeing if that makes any difference. I was reading that the symptoms of wheat intolerance seem very close to fibromyalgia symptoms. Joint pain, tiredness, brain fog, headaches, stomach issues etc...

I'm also trying to get back to using my mini trampoline again. I managed 5 minutes on Wednesday and 10 minutes yesterday. I am far too tired after the trip to the vet yesterday so I'm not using it today! I just walked around the block for 10 minutes. Unfortunately it started raining and I had forgotten my umbrella!

Rebounding on the trampoline is meant to be better for your joints than walking or running and it improves balance. I had vertigo for about 2 years a few years ago and really don't want to ever get that back.

https://wellnessmama.com/13915/rebounding-benefits/
    Books Read 24/60
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I've been out all day Wednesday so just catching up . It's good to be home in the daylight now the days are stretching out .
    Hope the trip to the vet wasn't for anything worrying . It always interests me to read of the different things you try to manage the fibro . The Lyrica which by the way has now changed again back to being called Pregablin , very confusing for the fibro fogged ! is still working well for DD .
    She isn't happy staying on the high dose Zomorph and Oramorph which have been on monthly repeat for some time but attempts to reduce the Oramorph aren't working due to all the flares and infections of the past year or so .
    Having both pSa and fibro means pain levels are high .
    Since the BPD diagnosis her MH is improving . The counsellor at the surgery is a perfect match . She taken her back to childhood and it's not easy but is helping her see events through an adults eye and find ways to let things go as much as she can and realise she wasn't wrong just too young to realise she was being failed .
    Next week our GP will be adding BPD , Anxiety Disorder and PTSD to the list he will print for any future MH appointments so no more claiming no history of her being under MH care locally or notes referring to her . We have all that now from 20 years so bring it on .
    Still haven't had time to try the seated tai chi dvd but will let you know if it's helpful .
    Take care
    polly x
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 114,313 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Lizzie the Sprocker Spaniel has arrived for her holiday! She was literally squeaking with excitement as she came in the front door (this is her 6th stay with us) so we know she's happy to be here.
    I am hoping her presence will have a positive effect on my anxiety, which has been through the roof of late.

Polly is your DD on a set amount of Oramorph? I have 40mg of Morphgesic (same stuff as Zomorph but comes in tablet form as opposed to capsules) twice a day, and I have to just take Oramorph as needed for breakthrough pain, it's left to my discretion (within given parameters, of course).

Let us know how the Seated Tai Chi goes - I'm wondering if that's something that would be suitable for me.
    LameWolf
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 10th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,995 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Finally back there's been quite a lot going on over on the Fence and I'm trying to play catch up over there too .

I've been thinking of our other friends during this weather and hoping they're managing . Tink and curlytop and those who need to get to work must have had quite a time this winter .

pollyx
    Hi Polly

I'm still here, but just not posting very much.

Wow, you and DD have been through the mill of it. Glad to see that you are both coming through the other side of it. Would help if the weather was a little nicer but in time, as the sun brings brighter days, the clouds you have both been under, will lift.

I shouldn't type this with a small smile on my face, but I have been sssso lucky with the weather. Last week, there was mild snow but I got my Aldi snow boots on and trudged through the white stuff for work. The next day when it got worse were luckily my non working days so happy days for me all round. Got out of bed Thursday and the snow was back. Yep, you've guessed it ... the days I don't work again. I couldn't have asked for better if I tried DH had to take the day off as the trains were off and just going one leg of his trip would have took over 2 hrs (DSIL took the trip and she wasn't happy at all).

I am continuing to use my beloved disabled travel pass as much as I can but have never plucked up 'the courage' to progress to PIP claims. I can manage as I am financially although this year I have been conscientiously watching my pennies more to get more out of them. I didn't know squeaky money existed until recently

Health wise, I've just had my second bout of eye inflammation this year. First it was iritis, but this time was episcleritis. Either way, both require me to visit the A&E section of the eye hospital. Luckily the ladies in there are very good and I'm in and out within a few hours after the doctor has looked at the back of my eye. I just need the steroid drops to take hold. Luckily my pre-paid prescription is being well used. What a godsend it is.

I still have the same levels of pain but just plod on with it, as we all seem to do here. I haven't gone back to the infrared spa. I think I may have mentioned that I noticed the new branch was showing them as holding Fibro meetings. I know no-one will have my arm up by back, but I don't want to get into the whole ethos of a 'support' group. They aren't medical people and so it's not something I would feel comfortable of evening being in the vicinity of.

My ibs is playing up but I suspect that is because I've been coming off my FODMAP approach to food recently and the re-introduction of bread is playing havoc with my tummy. Back to no bread it is then. Not worth the hassle.

Good to see the positivity of everyone here, irrespective of the niggles and frustrations we have going on, on this thread. I think it's fact that there's no judgement which is very helpful and supportive. Long may it continue.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wolfy The Zomorph is 10mg modified release 2 capsules to be taken twice daily so 40mg each day .
    Oramorph is 5ml max hourly .
    Can you tell I've just pulled out the last meds printout ?

There were times she needed only a little Oramorph but as pain levels have been pretty high she may not need all the doses but still needs it due the Zomorph nor controlling the pain enough to get some sleep as constant infection has given her a right kicking for a long times .
    Dr thinks the pSa and fibro combo are the problem as everything flares . There have been a few times she still has enough at the end of the month to get through a couple of weeks without needing another prescription .
    It's constantly monitored . In her teens she has a codeine issue for a long time unknown to Dr and myself so all three of us are on the case . She'll never do that again and monitors how many meds she needs and questions them at every appt .
    She's had to learn lessons the hard way . She has a long past history of EDs at both extremes and that was why she was often an impatient under MH services .
    She can handle not resorting to those measures nowadays and any urge to do so she has things in place most of her own making to pull herself back . Put it this way she does a lot of knitting and stitching .
    Now she is facing her once strong , white teeth beginning to cause problems . We're not sure if that related to the MTX and possibly the Oramorph but a combination of the EDs of the past and teeth grinding , which i do myself wont have helped .

I hope Lizzie can help to lower the anxiety for you . Apart from it being the constant elephant in the room as I know by my dd . You have had the long worry over MrWolf the stress of driving him back and forth and waiting for answers .
    The short dark days , damp and cold don't lift the spirits and the bad black dog takes up residence .
    Enjoy Lizzie no idea how it is weather wise in Concrete Cow Country but we're back to grey , damp and gloomy today after yesterdays cold but sunny . Wrap up warm and get out as much as you can during Lizzies holiday .
    Brighter days will come .
    polly xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Once more sorry for typos and lack of punctuation in my last post . I think faster than I type so the next sentence is my head too soon

It's lovely to see you Curly Top . I'm sorry to hear about the eye problems but pleased you're in good hands . Is that the team at the Royal ? As a child I used to attend the old Moorfields Eye hospital near Exchange station which later relocated to the Royal .

Glad you're getting good use from the travel pass it was worth overcoming your reluctance to apply .

It's odd you should mention " Support Group " dd and I were at the Pharmacy on Wednesday to collect 110 Zomorph capsules and 3 other meds they had been short of the previous Friday .
    The usual waiting while they tried to find a Pharmacist for the great unlocking of the cupboard ceremony for the Zomorph happened . We sat down eventually as our backs and legs were protesting .
    A woman was sitting next me examining a Boots digital Tens machine which sparked our interest , I'm sure many will recognise that .

We started chatting and she had been loaned another brand for a short period to try out by the local pain clinic and was considering this cheaper version . We chattered a while about the clinic and she mentioned the Dr in charge a renowned expert and in our experience an excellent clinical lead . She tore him to shreds verbally along with pretty one every other staff member .
    We were willing a Pharmacist to unlock the cupboard so we could exit stage left .

She started telling us of the wonders of the support group and how she was worse than the other members . She was urging both of us to join in when thankfully the cavalry arrived and we escaped .

Do think about applying for PIP . I'd be the last to say it's stress free after dds transfer from DLA swiftly followed by the ESA assessment . A fair number of us here have gone through the process either on our own or someone elses behalf and will help you as you go through the steps .

I have noticed big increases in food , utilties and other living costs so worth thinking about that extra money .

I do agree on the No Judgement comment . That was my initial aim starting the thread . They can stay under the bridge or join like minded individuals elsewhere plenty of places on the internet for that .

My mum used to say " If you can't say something nice , don't say anything at all " Someone once wrote a song with that title but their name escapes me It will pop into my head sometime later .

Wolfy I missed the bit about the Tai Chi in your post . I did think of you AOT and some others when I ordered it and wondered if it would be helpful . I wont say never but at present anything involving much more than plodding on , sitting or lying down is a challenge beyond me so this seemed worth a try .

I'll report back . BTW if anyone has used one of the Boots Tens Machines ( Digital Version ) I'd be interested in your feedback .
    No reviews at all online . DD is hoping to test the pain clinic one on loan but I think there will be a long waiting list . They use a very expensive one so out of our price range I think .

Well I've waffled on and on . Take care and stay warm all.
    polly x
    • Itisme
    • By Itisme 10th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Itisme
    How do you manage pacing, especially when having a flare? What are your fave low-spoon activities?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,555Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin