Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,548Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 33
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 26th Sep 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 14,049 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Me again - hoping there are some fellow C25K-ers around to chat with as I restart from scratch.

I took up running about a year and a half ago and loved it, then in May of this year I had an accident (nothing to do with running, I've learned the hard way to steer clear of ladders when I'm tired) and was forbidden by the doctors to run until I was sufficiently recovered. Today I got the go-ahead and did Week 1 Run 1! It felt so good.

Anyone else running at the moment?
    MFW #30 Paid off £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Decluttered in 2019: 116/2019 as of 14/1/19
    • SamSam17
    • By SamSam17 21st Nov 18, 7:31 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    SamSam17
    I’ve heard about C25K and attempted it only making it to W4. I was going to a gym before work and found every excuse you can think of after a little while.

Now I’ve got a treadmill at home and I’m going attempt this again determined to see it through. I think I scared myself after attempting W4D1 and struggling with it.
    Originally posted by SamSam17
    I finally did this! I've wanted to for so long but finally started on the 10th Sept.
    I finished few weeks ago and have been running 3-4 times a week since. I'm yet to reach the 5k mark but my last run was 4.5k so I'm close enough. I'm so glad I've done this, it was truly something that seemed so out of reach. Definitely ending 2018 in better condition than I started.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Nov 18, 1:41 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 14,049 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I finally did this! I've wanted to for so long but finally started on the 10th Sept.
    I finished few weeks ago and have been running 3-4 times a week since. I'm yet to reach the 5k mark but my last run was 4.5k so I'm close enough. I'm so glad I've done this, it was truly something that seemed so out of reach. Definitely ending 2018 in better condition than I started.
    Originally posted by SamSam17
    Fabulous! It's amazing what the human body can adapt to (and even learn to enjoy). 5K definitely in reach now.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 5th Jan 19, 12:28 AM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 23,949 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Hi,I've lurked from time to time but it seems to have gone quiet.
    I started c25k a year ago last Sept in desperation after a shoulder injury limited the various classes I used to do at the gym. I don't exactly enjoy running but I gain some satisfaction from doing it! I set my target to do a Park Run before my 60th birthday last April, and made it with 10 days to spare. I'm a very slow runner so my time was 43mins. I set another target to do 3 more before November but only managed 2, beating my time on the 3rd run but only by about 30secs. I've been busy and used that as an excuse, so only ran once in Dec. I'm determined to get back to it and would love to get below 40mins! I'm hoping maybe people will come back on the thread and encourage me. . .
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 5th Jan 19, 7:31 AM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 8,296 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I did c25k about 6 years ago leading up to a run4life. I did carry on for a couple of months then life took over. 2 or 3 years ago I signed up for a free 6 week 'improve your Park Run' programme- starting time was 37mins but by the end I got it down to 31:47. Then injury got in the way, then another injury, then a cataract (at 49). I went out for 2 runs in December (first in nearly 2 years) and both were around the 40 min mark.
    This week I went for a free trial at the local running club - days later my muscles are still complaining! I am hoping they will help with technique so that I don't break myself this time. The club aims for fun not prize winning and has a wide range of levels from casual jogger to marathon runner. If nothing else it is a floodlit, pothole free, safe place to run once or twice a week for not much money so I hope to keep going this time. They finished the 90 min induction with a timed 400m to give us a baseline- it took me 2 mins 22 secs. Definitely room for improvement
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 8th Jan 19, 10:50 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 23,949 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    2 or 3 years ago I signed up for a free 6 week 'improve your Park Run' programme- starting time was 37mins but by the end I got it down to 31:47.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    What sort of things did you do to improve? I tried the C25K follow-on podcasts but have discovered that I seem to move my legs quickly but don't cover much ground, as jogging in time to their beats-per-minute felt really slow, as if I had to be hovered in the air before landing!

I know one of my time factors in my local run (Harlow) is affected by the fact that the start and first part of the course are uphill; we're not talking Peak District steepness, but if all your training is on the flat (mine is on an old airfield) it feels like a mountain. There are a couple of other 'inclines' on the course; one of which is short and steep so I've always walked up it because the first time I did the run it had been raining so it was slippery. If I can face the mild embarrassment, I should try walking the first part from the start then my running on the rest of the course should be better. That's my theory anyway.

Procrastinating but planning to run this week; Mon and Tues are my zumba days so hopefully Thurs/Fri/Sun although not necessarily all three.....
    • TubbyDown
    • By TubbyDown 10th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    TubbyDown
    Has anyone use the couch to 5k app? I've heard it's very good....
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 11th Jan 19, 6:58 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 23,949 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Well I managed a run this am, haven't put it on the tracker so I don't know how far it was. No more than 3-3.5km I wouldn't think but at least it was non stop for 30mins. Let's hope I can keep it up.

Tubbydown sorry no advice on apps as I don't have a smart phone. I use the Good Running Guide to measure and log my runs.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 6,243 Posts
    • 20,466 Thanks
    indesisiv
    What sort of things did you do to improve? I tried the C25K follow-on podcasts but have discovered that I seem to move my legs quickly but don't cover much ground, as jogging in time to their beats-per-minute felt really slow, as if I had to be hovered in the air before landing!
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    There is a direct correlation to number of miles and efficiency so the more miles you do the more efficient you become. Best way to increase speed is short hill repeats, interval (try something like 10 x 200 off 60 sec or 8 x 400m same rest) that should get your legs moving and stride longer.

Has anyone use the couch to 5k app? I've heard it's very good....
    Originally posted by TubbyDown
    Never used it but know many people who have used it. Although most running clubs now run C25K courses which are really good.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jan 19, 12:35 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 14,049 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I used the app and found it very helpful.

indesisiv, I never knew about the correlation but it explains why my longest runs have me running like a 'real' runner towards the end instead of my usual snail's pace!
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 13th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 23,949 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Hills and speed
    There is a direct correlation to number of miles and efficiency so the more miles you do the more efficient you become. Best way to increase speed is short hill repeats, interval (try something like 10 x 200 off 60 sec or 8 x 400m same rest) that should get your legs moving and stride longer.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Thanks, I guess I'm just a plodder - my walking is faster than my 'running'! As I said, I did try one of the C25K further training podcasts but it didn't seem to match any rhythm I had. I'd better make more effort or find another. I've been having sessions with a personal training to help deal with an old shoulder injury, perhaps I'll get her to give me some tips. I suspect sadly it's a matter of making more effort!!

Anyway, I did manage a run today. I measured my Friday run and it was only 2.77km which was disappointing, but today I went back to one of my original C25K routes of 3.3km and managed to keep going. Door to door it took 40mins but that included about 10mins of walking to warm up and cool down. Luckily the old airfield about 5mins walk from my house has a load of footpaths and different routes, so I have logged different routes e.g. 'airfield when wet' (mostly tarmac/hard grit), 'airfield when shooting' (footpaths across agricultural land avoiding the clay pigeon guys) etc. There is a route from my house across bridleways that, to my amazement when I measured it, is actually 5km but it seems very long and includes a long hill - I've never actually dared to run it yet.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Jan 19, 5:08 PM
    • 6,243 Posts
    • 20,466 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I used the app and found it very helpful.

indesisiv, I never knew about the correlation but it explains why my longest runs have me running like a 'real' runner towards the end instead of my usual snail's pace!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I was referring to training volume rather than length of run.
    The reason things feel better at the end of a run is that you are warmed up. Before running 5k it takes my body nearly 5k to warmup. Then I start running easier and breathing less.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin