Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,548Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Couch to 5K support thread.
    • 4th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    Couch to 5K support thread. 4th Sep 16 at 7:27 PM
    I have looked for a similar thread, but they are all over 1 year old, and dead. So i thought I'd start a new one!

I am on a mission to get healthier and fitter.
    In 2010 i gave up smoking, and in Feb 2016 i gave up drinking alcohol. I feel like fitness is my last 'thing'.
    I hate exercise, and am incredibly unfit. I could do with losing 10lbs too.

I am about to start the Couch to 5K programme, does anyone else want to join me? Or has anyone else just started/completed/have experience of doing this?
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 £6247.89
    24/02/17 £5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 32
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 8th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    I’ve heard about C25K and attempted it only making it to W4. I was going to a gym before work and found every excuse you can think of after a little while.

Now I’ve got a treadmill at home and I’m going attempt this again determined to see it through. I think I scared myself after attempting W4D1 and struggling with it.
    Originally posted by SamSam17
    Hope you're sticking with it SamSam17!

Today was a milestone for me as I finally (!!) managed 5km A very, very slow 5Km at 37.52 but still! I'd been happy for a few weeks at 4.5km when I had a terrible run on Saturday and only managed 2km before stopping... think it was a combination of being far too hot (sudden one-off temperature surge that morning), too many people around, which made me self-conscious and then, to top it all off, a man pinched my bottom as I ran past!! Anyway, it all knocked my confidence so am doubly pleased to have got out there and done it this morning! WOO! Still debating signing up for the parkrun... I'll be in the area the weekend after next...
    • runningislife
    • By runningislife 11th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    runningislife
    Longtime no do a 5k race.

As now I'm training for a 50 miles race.

However, I'd love to help you guys with 5k speed up routine.

Just reply here!!!!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Today was a milestone for me as I finally (!!) managed 5km
    Originally posted by CattyCatX
    Fantastic! And great that you didn't let one bad run put you off. They happen, but they aren't the whole picture.

I got back to 5K the other day - great feeling! However, it's snowing now so I'm not going to be running tomorrow!
    • SamSam17
    • By SamSam17 21st Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    SamSam17
    Hope you're sticking with it SamSam17!

Today was a milestone for me as I finally (!!) managed 5km A very, very slow 5Km at 37.52 but still! I'd been happy for a few weeks at 4.5km when I had a terrible run on Saturday and only managed 2km before stopping... think it was a combination of being far too hot (sudden one-off temperature surge that morning), too many people around, which made me self-conscious and then, to top it all off, a man pinched my bottom as I ran past!! Anyway, it all knocked my confidence so am doubly pleased to have got out there and done it this morning! WOO! Still debating signing up for the parkrun... I'll be in the area the weekend after next...
    Thanks! Finally started this week and managed WK1. I think I'll probably repeat it this week before starting W2.

Well done! I'm really pleased for you
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 24th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Thanks Cherryfudge! Hope the snow is easing off for you - luckily we haven't had any here.
    Well done SamSam17, the hardest week was the first for me!
    I came down with flu so missed out on a parkrun - back in the area at Easter so will try to aim for one then. Was down to 35mins for my 5km time before the lurgy struck though Aiming to get back out there this weekend once am fully recovered...
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 9th Feb 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Hello All. I've been reading this thread for a while on and off.

Never been running in my life before but tried the week one step one today. It was ok really. I thought it would be worse. But only dog walkers and teenagers out and about once I got to the running bit. Although on the way there have to walk past restaurants and pubs.

Would never in a million years choose to spend time doing exercise but put on 2 stone and seriously unhappy about it. Can't seem to get it to shift so trying everything.
    Planning to go back Sunday but I find it very difficult to see myself doing that although I plan to.

Spent the entire time running thinking about eating.
    Will see what Sunday brings.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    If it's any help, I lost a stone between running and calorie counting. Now that I've done the 5K (a few times - I now enjoy it!) I often find I'm not bothered about eating junk afterwards. I think the happy hormones released by the exercise very effectively stop me 'needing' chocolate, etc. I do make sure I have some protein immediately on getting home, though. The body needs immediate protein and regular rest days to target the tiny bits of wear and tear caused by running.

What I'm trying to say is: don't give up, follow the program and chose times and places where you feel comfortable running. My experience is that it helped me lose weight and discover that I love something I never ever thought I'd enjoy.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Feb 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you very much for your kind message. Cherryfudge
    I plan to go out Sunday night. It means staying sober all day Sunday which sort of goes against the grain for me.
    Hoping it will just happen and it doesn't rain or be too hard.

Yesterday was cold but not freezing. I think I had sort of expected people to stare at me. I definately felt self conscious walking past the restaurant with everyone All looking good for their Friday night - but then I got to the running park bit and almost nobody around to see anuthing.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Pressed send too quickly but what I do like is the freedom of it. Just me on my own doing something just for me. And our park is beautiful. I need to put contacts in because yesterday I didn't and I missed it all with bad eyesight. But the freedom and the beautiful settings and the hope of weight loss will hopefully mean I go back.

I'm not telling anyone in real life. I told one of my friends that goes to a gym and does a lot of excercise and I could tell he didn't think I would do it. So then I thought I'll just see how I get on without telling any one and maybe when I am up to 5K ( which I kind of think will take longer than most people) I will tell him.

But right now going to do week 1 - and I imagine I'll probably do it twice before progressing. Thank you again. (Sorry for the Ramble- it helps me) Xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    the freedom and the beautiful settings and the hope of weight loss will hopefully mean I go back.
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    My favourite run - which I can do straight out of my door but somehow had never explored on foot - goes up to the moors and has amazing views. I know the gradient is hard work but I'm using that as a reason I don't go fast. I know exactly what you mean about the freedom, the beautiful settings and the hope of weight loss.

I am sure once you are doing 5K and say to your friend he will be pleased for you! I get such a lot of support from people much more athletic than I am.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 11th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you Cherryfudge.

I went tonight and it was freezing! But I did it.

Plan to go on Tuesday but failing that Thursday. A lot more people out tonight but it was OK and the
    Surroundings were beautiful.
    I just need one more and then I've done the first week which seems a bit weird.

I told my other friend and she was supportive. My athletic friend will be so supportive but he thinks it's something I won't do so I'm going to tell him when I have some runs in the bank!
    Then he will want to come but it's a solo thing for me.

Quietly quite pleased with myself. It's the most running I have done since school even though it is very little but it's a start.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well done! I take my hat off to anyone that can run today, it seems bitter to me. DH managed a run but I didn't. I'm missing it though.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 19,087 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Well done @Poor_Single_lady

Keep going, and enjoying.

I went out today, and whilst it was a bit chilly it was so nice to be out in the sun with shorts and t-shirt on again! Soon we will all be worrying about how hot it is.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 12th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Thank you both. It's supposed to be very cold tomorrow. I am doing run and then coming home-shower-then meeting friend. Determined. xx

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 17th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Well done Poor Single Lady! Hope you're sticking with it - I found the hardest part to be starting!!

I've found friends' reactions are a mixed bag. I've had more than a couple say "oh you getting up to 5Km inspired me to go out for a quick jog last night and I had an easy amble round the park, not putting any effort in, and ended up with a slow 25-minute 6 Km" [or variants thereof]. Which makes me feel a bit rubbish about my achievement as 5km still takes me an average of 37 minutes and I don't find it easy at all! They know how slow I am so I can't really decide what the point of their 'boasting' is? If it's deliberately passive-aggressive or trying to make themselves feel better (without thinking about how their words could affect me) about not doing an exercise for a while, like 'oh I haven't gone jogging for 6 months but at least I'm still faster/fitter than CattyCatX without even trying'. I hope not as it makes me not really like my friends as much :/ Or I guess it's my own insecurities reading too much into it! In any case, this time last year being able to run 5Km was only a dream so I am proud!
    Sorry for mini-rant there! Been fighting the flu on and off for the best part of a month now so not getting out to run that often and really missing it! Went out once last week and hoping to go tomorrow though. Still doing 5Km, also hoping to start trying (a tiny bit of) hill work every so often...
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Which makes me feel a bit rubbish about my achievement as 5km still takes me an average of 37 minutes and I don't find it easy at all!
    You would complete your 5K ahead of me! My argument is that I need to be slow in order to do distance.

I've had a flu-type thing too and been too short of breath to run, which is just not me as I don't have a history of asthma. I think it's just a vicious bug and it takes a while to get fully past it so I started off with a few walks before attempting to run again. We're in this long-term so no point in setting ourselves back by being too enthusiastic too soon!

Your friends do sound very annoying! It may be that when you've been running as long as they have, you will go further and faster... we're all at different stages and this is for you and your health and well being, not a race.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 19,087 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I've found friends' reactions are a mixed bag. I've had more than a couple say "oh you getting up to 5Km inspired me to go out for a quick jog last night and I had an easy amble round the park, not putting any effort in, and ended up with a slow 25-minute 6 Km" [or variants thereof]. Which makes me feel a bit rubbish about my achievement as 5km still takes me an average of 37 minutes and I don't find it easy at all!
    You would complete your 5K ahead of me! My argument is that I need to be slow in order to do distance.
    Your friends do sound very annoying! It may be that when you've been running as long as they have, you will go further and faster... we're all at different stages and this is for you and your health and well being, not a race.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I agree with CherryFudge, your friends don't seem to realise the effort that goes into a new runner starting from scratch. Not everything comes easy to everyone.

I'd advise them to find their local C25K and go and volunteer their time to assist them.
    It is a great thing to do to realise the effort and commitment that people put into it. We are just setting up one for the summer through our running club and I will be going along to volunteer for that very reason.

It puts things into context for us "faster runners" when you assist with these groups. As for your friends 25 min 6k .. meh its all relative some of us run faster than that in training runs without the need to belittle others that can't do that pace.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 22nd Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Hope you're feeling better soon Cherryfudge! Whatever flu I've had totally wiped me out so I sympathise a lot
    I managed to get out for a run yesterday and going again tomorrow so hopefully back into a routine now.
    I think the volunteering idea is a great suggestion, indesisiv! Will mention it next time we all get together. I'm still quite hurt by their comments tbh as it suggests a degree of self-centredness I hadn't expected from them but maybe seeing other people at an earlier stage of their running journey will open their eyes a bit!
    I have to say it's a great feeling when I meet other runners who seem at a similar stage to me as we smile at each other in acknowledgement of the struggle! I keep the "you're lapping everyone on the couch" in my mind a lot when I run, it really helps me!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 3rd Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 5,398 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Yes I'm not sure other people are all that helpful. It seems to be a thing you just have to do.

On the first week on C25K before all this snow- I was running in the park and a man in Lycra overtook me really closely. There was almost nobody else around just us And he had the entire path apart from the tiny bit on the right I was using slowly.

It was like he was making the point that I was slow. If I hadn't been using all my energy I would have sweared at him because I was furious. Just so rude.

I think running maybe brings out people's competitiveness and they enjoy being better than you. But of course they are better - I've sat on the couch for 30 years and they obviously think running is "such fun"!

But can't let this sort of nonsense put you off and if it happens again I'm finding the energy to tell him what I think.
    *but once the snow goes.

I think 5K at any speed is amazing. Can only dream of it so if I could do it I would be delighted with myself. And everyone that manages it should be telling themselves they are amazing. Well done to you all.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think 5K at any speed is amazing.
    So do I.

everyone that manages it should be telling themselves they are amazing. Well done to you all.
    Oh thank you! I have to admit I'm amazed too even though it's a while since I first did it. Totally amazed. It's such a great feeling when I've always been the loser in every single race, and now I can run. I still don't really believe it.

Keep at it PSL, one day this will be you (and one day you'll sail past the chap in lycra, rude so-and-so, and leave him behind).
    MFW #30 Paid off £1,622.77/£3770 as of 4/5/18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter