Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • suethedriver
    • By suethedriver 3rd Sep 16, 1:12 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Electric bill excessive . where do i go for help
    • #1
    • 3rd Sep 16, 1:12 PM
    Electric bill excessive . where do i go for help 3rd Sep 16 at 1:12 PM
    I deal with my sons account for electric/gas .He lived " alone" in his rental for 1 year ( moved out in June) N power supplied the gas and elec to the detatched 2 bed smallish farmbuilding conversion . He was never asked for reading etc or any payments for the year he was there and now they have sent a bill for 3600 !!!!! just for electric . I have queried this and they have done an inquiry on it and still come back and said the bill is correct according to the meter readings. I have gone back to them again and said .how can a single man on his own ( working away for a few days per month) use 300 of electricity . looking up averages online it seems that a family in a big house dont use anything like that amount and my friend with a b & b doesnt either.
    I have paid them some money last month and they suggested setting up a payment plan to start paying it off to stop any further action/ court etc. I am not sure this is a good idea as wonder if i am then accepting the bill ? I am of course willing to pay a bit as the electric does need paying in the end but not that amount surely. I have been very calm on the phone to them & asked them if they have a complaints procedure and they just said go to citizens advice ! I am asking here if anyone can suggest what i do next please as i really dont believe the amount and dont want him to get bad credit history. Thanks
Page 3
    • LewisHamilton
    • By LewisHamilton 17th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Finally had a call back from npower regarding the excessive bill and they say they have looked into it again and been to check the meters etc but the bill is correct !
    average usage 57 units per day !
    They have offered a payment plan for this but i feel i still cannot accept that this can possibly be right ... Any ideas where to go next for independant advice ?
    Originally posted by suethedriver
    When they went to check the meters what exactly did they do? Did they do a test and trace or did they simply just visit the property to check the meter serial numbers? I will not be surprised if its the latter unless they somehow managed to get the new occupier to agree to a site visit and allow it to do the test.

    I still consider the best way to try and resolve this is to speak to the landlord if possible.

    Its a really difficult situation and demonstrates why giving regular readings and receiving regular accurate bills is so important.

    The bill is based on accurate meter readings so it is accurate unless the meter is faulty. Again, no longer being at the property will make it difficult to arrange a meter accuracy test as it would require the new occupier's permission. A faulty meter is also rare and unlikely.

    This leaves the other scenario which is that the meter is attached to other appliances that are not within your sons property - I consider this likely if your son definitely didn't have electric heating appliances or grew cannabis but that means talking to the landlord.

    Furthermore, even if it transpires that the meter is attached to other appliances that are not within your sons property then it still may end up as a third party dispute that npower cannot get involved in. The same goes with someone tapping into the supply.

    Unfortunately, all these scenarios should have been investigated about a year ago. Questioning the bills after leaving the property is going to be a difficult task in most cases. To prevent this from happening in the future, give meter readings every quarter and this will bring high bills into question a lot earlier.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    The scenario of other buildings being connected is looking quite likely.

    Following this with the landlord/agent is going to be difficult for you but why not contact the new tenant with your information ?
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 18th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    As the consensus of opinion is that this meter is feeding other premises as well as your son's flat, then the new occupiers have the same noose around their neck as your son, so it's well worth contacting them.

    The down side is that a wiring distribution problem is nothing to do with n'power, it's down to the re-developer or landlord who may be one and the same.
    If your warning to the new tenants does eventually result in new meters and wiring on the site, recovering your son's overpayments will probably need legal action
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

727Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin