Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 3rd Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    • 549Posts
    • 169Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Capital One - 2nd Card
    • 3rd Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    Capital One - 2nd Card 3rd Sep 16 at 11:12 AM
    Hi all

When holding one Cap1 card you can open another once your first card has been open 2 or 4 months (it varies depending where on the site you look!).

To those that applied for the second - did the eligibility checker work & give you a chance of approval (e.g. 50/90/100 etc)?

Or did you just go straight to the page and then 'apply now' (skipping the eligibility check)

Getting a straight answer to whether it will ever work from Cap1 for a 2nd card is like getting blood from a stone. At the moment I fail eligibility on affordability, but am wondering whether I'd get a card if I put it straight through on the apply screen.

Anyone got any experience?

If the eligibility does work for 2nd apps, then I'll wait until that says I'll get one...... if not then it's like waiting for hell to freeze over!
Page 5
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 2nd Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Yep. You can merge ('consolidate' in Cap1 terms) either way too. So card 1 into card 2, or card 2 into card 1.

If you are (ab)using Card 2's intro offer, if any, then you need to consolidate card 1 onto card 2 - this will 'settle' your original account at the CRAs, and your new account will show the limit as having been raised.

If you've done it purely to get an extra card/higher limit etc, then merge card 2 into card 1 (just say something like "I've just got my 2nd card, ending xxxx, but think it would be easier to have 1 card.... can you please close this card and consolidate it onto card xxxx... so that I have my original card with a limit of £2,250" - I've used that line 4 times).

Sometimes, like anything in life, you need to bang your head against a brick wall depending on which agent you get... so I'm always VERY clear which card ending XXXX I want to keep open and which card ending YYYY I want to close....

If you keep card 1 open, then you will have card 2 opened and promptly settled on your credit file (not ideal) but your longstanding card 1 will keep the original history and show limit increases
    • cmc_entertainment
    • By cmc_entertainment 3rd Jan 18, 1:04 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    cmc_entertainment
    ideally. leaving your longer standing card open would be best [i think]
    <mythbuster>
    Failure is always an option
    </mythbuster>
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 3rd Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Thanks.

And then wait a couple months and repeat again?
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 4th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    As long as you're not at max limit like me!

I did it lots and maxed out at £4k. I don't know if thats a hard limit for the sub-prime cards (e.g. policy of we won't lend more than £4k unless you have the good card (http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/0-balance-transfer-credit-card-12-months.jsf)) or whether it's just my affordability is maxed at £4k (10% of income, and I have other cards, recent BR etc, so can't argue with it!!)

It seems I opened my account a week later than I thought I did... still waiting for the L2M marker to drop off so I can see if my limit has gone up...!! The suspense.......!!!!!!

And yea as above I'd leave long standing card open TBH, unless you have a real need for the 0% (e.g. you're currently paying interest!). If you're not then on £2,250 it's not *that* big a deal either way, especially as it's only 4 months, 5 at a push.
    • cmc_entertainment
    • By cmc_entertainment 5th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    cmc_entertainment
    occording to Noddle, my date is 13th Feb as applied on 13th December.

Ohhh, the suspense
    <mythbuster>
    </mythbuster>
    • cmc_entertainment
    • By cmc_entertainment 5th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    cmc_entertainment
    Out of curiosity i just done one and the results were a rejection, but not on the L2M marker but on DcsnReasCd=DR24 and primReasCd=DR24

The search was very quick.

comparitivewith the other halfs of which was
    dcsnReasNm=Opened L2M and dcsnReasNm=Multicard Decline which would be correct as this was opened in late november/early december.

the multicard decline is not true btw
    <mythbuster>
    </mythbuster>
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 6th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Yea their Multicard seems strange - I get that too. Maybe the other card has to be closed for 2 months? Although certainly that wasn't the case before.

They seem strange with that dates, some times I've had perfect matches (e.g. open 1st Apr, then eligible again 1st June), other times I know I've waited longer.

My November app wasn't subject to a credit search at Clearscore, but that confirms the account was opened (since I'm now using just the new account) on 3/11 - so over 2 months now, but still showing as Multicard & L2M block.

I know previously 4 months was quoted, and depending on where you look on their website it says 4 months or 2 months. Maybe, in some situations, it is 4 months... and/or it's a lottery!

My minimum payment was taken a few days ago and I have a statement due on the 9th... maybe they've changed it to 2 'statement months'?!

I'll keep waiting and trying!!!

I know Vanquis are another card that can't count properly (no re-app in 6 months). I re-applied after 6 months (using both 6 calendar months, 183 calendar days, 26 weeks etc!) and it kept saying duplicate within last 6 months. After about 6 months and 3 weeks, it finally went through!
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 7th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Checked my friends and as in CMC's experience, the crLineAlocdAmt's are different - £1,500 for most and then there's the £3,000 for CCS76 (nearer prime card).

Strangely RR64 (not DR!) on all cards - insufficient address confirmation, despite the fact she's on the ER at current address, and well over the 3 years at previous address!

It says she'll be 100% accepted for classic, so my understanding is that DecisionReasons with a code of RR will be accepted (Refer Reason?), but DR won't be (Decline Reason).

Also there is "acptncLklhdIdxVal=10, acptncLklhdScoreVal=1.0" where Lklhd is either 10 (her) or 9.999999 (me!) if you're going to get it.

They're run checks for what seems to be 7 different cards in the bankground, and she's accepted for any one of 5:

Hopefully the following list will be helpful for anyone wanting to 'cherrypick' the correct card for their circumstances (hover over 'check now' to confirm the relevant CCS ID).

CCS07 - 6 months 0% BT card for people with lower credit scores (see: http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/balance-transfer-credit-cards.jsf) - £1.5k
    CCS25 - Secured Card (http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/securedTC25.jsf) - £200 limit with £49 security deposit!
    CCS19 - no idea, presume a variation of Classic (which is CCS18) - £1.5k
    CCS22 - no idea, £1.5k
    CCS40 - no idea, £1.5k

Following aren't in direct check results but show 100% acceptance via Clearscore, so presumably are affiliate only for eligibility purposes:

CCS53 - Platinum Mastercard - http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/classic-mastercardTC53.jsf
    CCS35 - Classic Complete (4 months 0% purch, see summary box) - http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/classic-complete.jsf

Then declined for:

1 - whatever that is!!!! £0 allocated. Low income decline, indebtedness and score below cut-off

and CCS76 - Prime (http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/balance-transfer-credit-cards.jsf) - 3k allocated but blocked for same reasons as above.

Now I can understand a bit more why banks are reluctant to share reasons for decline and give (frustrating) 'generic' answers. For example, solving the 'indebtedness' and bumping income (unlikely they'd check, although obviously it's fraud and not at all advocated) would get her a prime card!

Also - although not Cap1, but credit building in general - interesting that MoneySuperMarket have pre-approved her for Aqua, but Clearscore lists just 90%. Although likely the 90% will go through, if there's something they don't like.... so which site you use could well be the difference between getting and not getting the card!
    • betweenarockandhardplace
    • By betweenarockandhardplace 11th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    betweenarockandhardplace
    Just after some advice about consolidating my 2 cap one cards,

First card secured £99 deposit £200 limit opened in jan 2015
    Second card secured £49 deposit £200 limit opened in jan 17

I want to consolidate the second card with the first card but does this work with secured cards and will I get my deposit of £49 back if/when I consolidate? Balance will be zero on second card when consolidating

How soon after the card has been consolidated and confirmed can I apply for a normal classic card as I think I should be able to get one now, CCJ goes off on 27th feb so will apply after that, solely for the basis of creating higher credit limit I won’t be using it
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Why would they refund you the fee?

The point of the secured card is £200 is the max limit
    • By betweenarockandhardplace 11th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    betweenarockandhardplace
    Is says when you apply and pay the deposit you get it back when your card is settled and closed
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 11th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Not sure they'll let you consolidate two secured cards. Surprised they even let you have 2, because that's £400 exposure. All you can do is ask them.

If they say no, just close the Jan 17 one (as it's a year old now so not too short term) and then try the eligibility check a week or so after (or whenever their system has finally updated to say your 2nd card is closed).

As you're so close to the CCJ coming off, I'd wait until say 1st March when it's definitely dropped, and then apply/eligibility check for a full one.

As an experiment you could eligibility check on say 25th Feb, see what limits are in the source code, then do another one on 1st Mar - extremely unlikely to go down, probably will go up.
    • By betweenarockandhardplace 11th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    betweenarockandhardplace
    Thanks il try and consolidate and let you know the outcome, if they won’t let me I will try your suggestion
    • By betweenarockandhardplace 15th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    betweenarockandhardplace
    Well Capital one wouldn’t let me consolidate 2 secured cards so I cancelled one of the cards and paid it off, il wait till beginning of March to apply for classic card after ccj comes off
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 16th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Dandytf
    After 3 calls Cap One have merged accounts, they said it would be the end of the month but it's already done, tried quick check but it's still coming up with affordability message. I did read online that you have to wait 30 days before you can re apply. Will try again next month.
    Originally posted by A4445
    Late answer request.
    I Have cap 1 450 limit 90% used
    Luma 1k limit 75% used.
    If I were to request Cap 1 to consolidate both card-what is my new limit 450 or 1K or 1450.
    Last edited by Dandytf; 16-01-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    sc dmp 2012 13k
    Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 16th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    A4445
    Late answer request.
    I Have cap 1 450 limit 90% used
    Luma !k limit 75% used.
    If I were to request Cap 1 to consolidate both card-what is my new limit 450 or 1K or 1450.
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    It would be one card of £1450.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 16th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Dandytf
    It would be one card of £1450.
    Originally posted by A4445
    Thanks could slightly improve my high usage or does it not matter if both are on the one card i.e. does utilisation balance out or not look any better-not too worry, I’ll call Cap 1@weekend or early next week.
    I need to consider my minimum payment though at least it could be 1 payment 1 date each month.
    sc dmp 2012 13k
    Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 16th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    A4445
    Thanks could slightly improve my high usage or does it not matter if both are on the one card i.e. does utilisation balance out or not look any better-not too worry, I!!!8217;ll call Cap 1@weekend or early next week.
    I need to consider my minimum payment though at least it could be 1 payment 1 date each month.
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    I limit of £1450 would look better than two cards, but over all the utilisation would be the same.

It could be easier to have one payment each month instead of two, make sure you keep,the card with the lowest APR
    • Matty17
    • By Matty17 28th Jan 18, 12:14 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Matty17
    Hey there,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I recently (yesterday) became eligible to apply for a second card with capital one, I tried quick check for the Very card and the balance transfer card and was given the 100% guarentee message. I did look at the code in the search bar which showed as awaiting result? Is this because I was using an iphone or because they no longer show this? I have not yet submitted an application.

Thank you.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 28th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    You need to use a computer and press F12 to see the full code. The awaiting-result bit is what everyone sees.

Although they've updated their website, and looks like they've finally removed it... although they expect people to go fishing as there's a big "want to work at Cap1" in the source code!

On mine I just see the main decline reason now, everything else has been hidden. Not sure if that's the same for accepted applicants, maybe they still see more
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,638Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin