Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bocaboca
    • By bocaboca 31st Aug 16, 7:28 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bocaboca
    Folium Consulting -- "free" seminar on estate planning etc
    • 31st Aug 16, 7:28 PM
    Folium Consulting -- "free" seminar on estate planning etc 31st Aug 16 at 7:28 PM
    Has anyone any experience of this company who offer free 90min seminars covering a range of topics associated with wills, care-home fees, probate etc?

Every participant is eligible for free in-home consultation for which there is "never any obligation from us".... which is sounding a little warning bell in my head.

Any thoughts?
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    Malthusian
    But it turned out that people were actually interested in using trusts to keep money out of the hands of their children's potentially divorcing spouses.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    If I want my children to have some money I'll give it to them, and trust their judgment as to who they've chosen to marry. Even if their spouse is thirty years younger, on their eighth marriage, keeps black widows for pets and is called Bumtmi Usbandov.

Setting up complicated and tax-inefficient arrangements as a way of telling my children that I disapprove of their marriage is not something I can see myself doing.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 11,019 Posts
    • 23,657 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    We went to a seminar like this years ago (different firm though). It was a topic we knew nothing about; we gained from the lessons. Somewhere their name is on file in case we should wish to update our info and pursue their suggestions. I didn't feel under pressure at all.

What was fascinating is that the seminar started on the assumption that people would be interested in using trusts as part of IHT avoidance. But it turned out that people were actually interested in using trusts to keep money out of the hands of their children's potentially divorcing spouses.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    Yes that was a topic at the one we went to.

I think I am right in saying a Trust cannot be challenged like a will?
    • W A Howard
    • By W A Howard 13th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    W A Howard
    Getting a Will written
    During November this year, many solicitors are writing Wills free of charge, in return for a donation to Will Aid (the donations being divided into 9 charities, such as NSPCC, Christian Aid, British Red Cross etc. The suggested donation is 95 for a single will or 125 for a pair, and all the money goes for these charities and none to the solicitors, Details of how to book up are at willaid.co.uk
    We are thinking of going to a seminar, having found some useful suggestions from a similar one with another organisation a few years ago, but we wouldn't expect to commission them to act on our behalf.
    • PompeyGal
    • By PompeyGal 3rd Dec 17, 12:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PompeyGal
    Preying on vulnerable adults ...
    We have had really poor experience with this company this year.
    They invited an elderly relative to one of the "tea and chat" sessions. He has capacity to make his own decisions but alarm bells ring when he gives you a packet of papers and tells you he is not sure what it is all about.
    Paperwork was minutes of a meeting (which his children had alledgedly attended !!!) which had not been held; a new will (already has a completely valid will drawn up by a solicitor) and a PoA (already has one registered at Office of Public Guardian by a solicitor) - and he had paid them in excess of 3,000.
    I rang to protest and was threatened with the company partner when I raised my concerns - bring that on - but ultimately he was "busy" !!! I asked about exactly who they were registered with - and apparently they are registered with "all appropriate bodies" - but not the FCA, The Law Society etc etc. They then said they wouldn't speak to me any further until I sent a copy of the will and PoA .... guessing no solicitors working for them either then !!!
    Ultimately they did return every penny of the cash, but only once we had returned all of their paperwork (yep, I have copies !!).
    All my relative wanted to do was make it simple when he died - but he already has all he needs in place. He said they never asked if he already had a will or PoA ...
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 3rd Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 11,066 Posts
    • 7,625 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    I think I am right in saying a Trust cannot be challenged like a will?
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I don't know. But I understand that the English courts have given themselves the right to take account of trusts (but of what sort? and established when?) in divorce settlements. I hope that the Scottish courts have no truck with such stuff; they tend to be more rational on divorce.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • pauljf
    • By pauljf 5th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pauljf
    I gave 4000 to the salesman Folium Consulting in August who went through theTaxes we would save for our situation and he said that this fee was for my wife and I's Lasting Power of Attorneys and Wills and a 'Wealth Report'.

Since my first dealings with them in July, I have received the report, which in effect gave me back the information that I had supplied to them in a formulised way and suggested options of how to avoid tax in the future. That was it!
    In the 5 months intervening, I have received nothing else from them despite many emails asking for my money back and many phone calls. The phone calls result in a promise that I will be called back.... they don't.
    The emails are not responded to.
    The LPA's have not materialised and the Will is not on record despite my paying 4000!!!!
    I would not recommend this company to anyone. They are quick to take your money but then don't answer your calls.
    Avoid them at all costs......
    The promises are great, the service is NIL.
    • ziyakhan
    • By ziyakhan 24th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ziyakhan
    Can you tell me who the advisor was? I am going through a similar process!
    • Flopsy Mopsy
    • By Flopsy Mopsy 26th Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flopsy Mopsy
    Folium Consulting
    Hello

Did you get these issues resolved to your satisfaction ?
    • nrsql
    • By nrsql 27th Jun 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    nrsql
    Pretty clear why these companies are keen to provide these free seminars.
    • IanStuart
    • By IanStuart 2nd Jul 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IanStuart
    Folium
    Was the matter concluded satisfactorily, & if so, how was it achieved please?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 2nd Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 5,203 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Was the matter concluded satisfactorily, & if so, how was it achieved please?
    Originally posted by IanStuart
    You will not get a reply, those posters have not been back to this site for months.

If you have an issue with this company, you would do better to give details here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,820Posts Today

8,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin