Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 329Posts
    • 1,327Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -£161,250 | Mar '18: -£151,288.12

Page 17
    • Sligo Smokey
    • By Sligo Smokey 12th Jan 19, 10:05 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Sligo Smokey
    Tips
    always choose great places to eat. Always tip 10%
    • z1a
    • By z1a 14th Jan 19, 8:02 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 1,998 Thanks
    z1a
    always choose great places to eat. Always tip 10%
    Originally posted by Sligo Smokey
    Is that what you do, or an instruction?
    • Gracie84
    • By Gracie84 24th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gracie84
    I always tip, but agree with OP, tend to round up to the nearest note not leave a specific amount
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 25th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 5,557 Posts
    • 7,681 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    All this could be easily sorted by including a service charge for each item on the menu and if people feel the service was above and beyond, they can add an additional tip.

I know in some countries it is considered rude to tip.
    Originally posted by Flamed
    Or restaurants could just charge what it costs to run the place and pay staff properly.

Why should anyone have to depend on tips?
    • James1236
    • By James1236 31st Jan 19, 3:44 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    James1236
    When it comes to tipping, I know a lot of people say 'it's their job, I don't get paid extra' etc, however, having worked throughout the hospitality business I slightly understand the difference.

I don't tip every time I am out and I only do so depending on the service and I don't mean the service that they require... I mean what have they done extra to enhance my experience within their establishment?

When I worked at Pizza Hut I truly enjoyed it as I loved customers and interacting throughout my day and because of this I would help them out in ways that weren't my job, for example, helping their child make their salads or ice creams, helping them with personal queries and generally making their experience better by me being there!

I feel that people do need to understand the people they are serving and respond differently when serving them and if the waiter/ waitress is able to do this without you realising then they deserve a tip.

However, if the service wasn't good, our food was continuously wrong and we have been ignored or made to feel unwelcome, I wouldn't tip and usually end up arguing with my partner who feels bad for not tipping, but I believe going out is an experience and you shouldn't leave feeling it was a bad one.

I would only ever leave around £1.50/ spare change, but if I was in a large group we would all leave our spare change which would lead to a larger tip for the waiter waitress. (please note, this is my 'average' tipping which is for bills of around £20)
    • Chrism03
    • By Chrism03 31st Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Chrism03
    Nearly always tip, normally ~10% more if excellent service, less if just OK. Not very often leave no tip (but then rarely get poor service)
    • dcfc67
    • By dcfc67 31st Jan 19, 8:13 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    dcfc67
    I always make a point of making a cash tip if the sevice is good.

Its all to easy to add it on to your card, downside is the Management then take a cut if not all the tip.
    • maryfink
    • By maryfink 22nd Feb 19, 12:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    maryfink
    if waiter is really nice, i will pay 10%, but if no... i hate when they include tips in receipt!!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 22nd Feb 19, 1:40 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 7,120 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I always make a point of making a cash tip if the sevice is good.

Its all to easy to add it on to your card, downside is the Management then take a cut if not all the tip.
    Originally posted by dcfc67
    Upside is the tip is paid through the payroll, and the appropriate income tax is paid.
    • SamCo
    • By SamCo 10th Mar 19, 6:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SamCo
    Only if there is no service charge in the bill and if they were polite
    • bishbut
    • By bishbut 20th Mar 19, 5:39 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    bishbut
    tipping
    I always say anywhere keep the change as I cannot be bothered with small change £ coins and an odd 20 or 10 p coins are all I have with me and always want £5 notes when withdrawing cash I go into my bank or Post Office and they always oblige
    • sclare
    • By sclare 20th Mar 19, 8:15 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    sclare
    Whether you agree with tipping and whether you do tip, are two different things that aren't necessarily connected.
    Personally I think tipping is odd and illogical. Why show appreciation to one set of people who serve you in some way, and not to others?
    BUT, the poor person who serves me in a restaurant shouldn't be the person who suffers for my views. His/her wage is based on the assumption that he/she will be tipped in addition. And his/her budgeting is based on that too. So assuming they've done their job well, I'll tip them.
    • Frankiepie
    • By Frankiepie 20th Mar 19, 8:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frankiepie
    So hereís my issue with tipping. Everyone is saying how poor restaurant staff are paid minimum wage and so they tip them. Well, I worked a minimum wage job for 4 and a half years in a store and various other stores after with no tips. Most shops you go to will be paying their staff minimum wage. Iíve been able to find very few jobs that pay above that are in shops.

No matter how will you work in these stores youíll never get a tip. I did once have someone offer me one but my boss said I couldnít take it. And yet if I was in a restaurant itís expected?

So no, I donít believe people should be tipped for doing their job unless we tip all minimum wage employees in all sectors we encounter. I donít think you deserve a tip for following your job description and often doing the bare minimum.

If I have had amazing service like one girl looked after a large table for a party and was attentive and awesome Iíd probably tip them. But theyíll also have a cover charge for the large number of people in most cases.

We donít live in America and we donít need to act like it. Tipping just is pointless to me.
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 20th Mar 19, 9:57 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    This is theft - and from your friends too! - disgusting:

I sometimes going out with friends and this guy airways waits for us to put our share in which includes a 10% tip and then all he does is make the money up to the total price of the bill, so he ends up getting all the tips and I'm not quite sure how many times were going to go out before he feels guilty about it. Grrrrrrrr.
    Originally posted by ChrisK.....

They'd swiftly be excluded from future invites.
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    I agree with Barny1979 - my little pensioner group would swiftly exclude anyone who stole other people's money like this, he's using his 'friends' to pay for his meal and depriving the staff of their tips. Whether or not you agree with tipping, this person is no friend to anyone. And I doubt he's ever going to feel guilty about it, probably been getting away with it for a while - time to stop him!
    Last edited by gloriouslyhappy; 20-03-2019 at 9:58 AM. Reason: typo
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 20th Mar 19, 10:08 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    Takmon
    Whether you agree with tipping and whether you do tip, are two different things that aren't necessarily connected.
    Personally I think tipping is odd and illogical. Why show appreciation to one set of people who serve you in some way, and not to others?
    BUT, the poor person who serves me in a restaurant shouldn't be the person who suffers for my views. His/her wage is based on the assumption that he/she will be tipped in addition. And his/her budgeting is based on that too. So assuming they've done their job well, I'll tip them.
    Originally posted by sclare
    No they are paid minimum wage just like other low skilled jobs. They arn't paid less and have their wages topped up with tips like in the USA.

If they budget based on a variable such as tips being guaranteed then that is a fault with their budgeting.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 20th Mar 19, 11:36 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    REJP
    I worked years ago in a top quality restaurant as a waiter, for long hours and low pay. Tips all went in to a scheme called the Tronc, and each month were shared between all staff, cleaners to chefs, we did not always get what a customer meant an individual to get personally, but 60 years ago that was how it was done and you liked it or moved on.
    Like many people now, I tip according to the standard of service. I never tip bad service, and sometimes argue and take off the service charge if poor service or food, always dealing with the manager.
    In USA tips are considered part of wages. I have known cases of waiters chasing people outside a restaurant for not tipping, usually visitors who are unaware of the system.
    In old USSR and now in the different Soviet Union states do not tip waiters, it is considered bad manners. When I lived there the only people who got tips were hairdressers and taxi drivers. In China do not tip unless you want to be thrown out of the restaurant . A small "tip" for people going to eat in restaurants in China, always leave a little food on your plate as a sign you have been well fed, a clean plate can be seen as insulting the host by indicating you are still hungry.
    I never tip on credit card, I always hand it in cash to the worker.
    And as some people do, I have given a bonus to a builder or electrician or plumber who has done a good job in a courteous manner.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 20th Mar 19, 11:44 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    REJP
    Always choose great place to eat etc.
    It is not an instruction, it is a sensible suggestion which does not warrant a sarcastic reply on this forum.
    • savingsusie
    • By savingsusie 20th Mar 19, 12:15 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    savingsusie
    I do not think one should feel obliged to tip, it is a matter of personal choice. My OH and I have a meal at the same restaurant weekly, we receive excellent service, sit at same table, staff know our individual choices eg always put a steak knife out for me(arthritis in hands),always give extra veg and even keep a supply of OH favourite ice cream flavour just for him! We tip £5 every occasion, (approx 10%). They deserve it, and the proprietor shares tips with all staff, including chefs and cleaners too.
    If we go to a local Toby Carvery or Harvester type meal we never tip as we do not feel an individual waitress has done anything other than take an order for food or drinks.
    • amber_cloud
    • By amber_cloud 20th Mar 19, 12:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    amber_cloud
    A few extra quid won't hurt someone who can afford to eat out
    I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it?
    Originally posted by benten69
    People who don't tip have obviously never worked in a restaurant or bar. The wages are rubbish, the work is hard, and yes the establishments should pay a living wage but the reality is that they rarely do. Customers who are too tight to tip won't solve the problem of low wages for staff. If you can afford to go out for a meal, surely you can afford to leave a couple of extra pounds for the wait staff, especially if they've gone out of their way to make sure you've had a nice time?
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 21st Mar 19, 1:48 AM
    • 5,557 Posts
    • 7,681 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    People who don't tip have obviously never worked in a restaurant or bar.
    Originally posted by amber_cloud
    Untrue, obviously.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,541Posts Today

5,930Users online

Martin's Twitter