Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TrixA
    • By TrixA 25th Aug 16, 9:56 AM
    • 379Posts
    • 150Thanks
    TrixA
    How to stop cat using doormat as toilet
    • 25th Aug 16, 9:56 AM
    How to stop cat using doormat as toilet 25th Aug 16 at 9:56 AM
    We're having a really unpleasant problem with a cat (at least we assume it's a cat - we haven't actually caught it in the act) defecating on our front door mat. It used to happen occasionally, then became more and more frequent, to the point where last weekend we resorting to throwing away the doormat, thoroughly cleaning the front of the house and liberally applying the product 'scoot'. This stopped the behaviour for about a week but yesterday it happened again - this time in broad daylight when it previously happened mostly at night or early in the morning. I'm really at my wit's end, it's absolutely revolting and we can't afford to buy a new doormat every week. Does anyone have any experience getting cats to stop this sort of behaviour? Unfortunately we live in an urban area with lots of cats, including a number of spraying tomcats who I suspect are responsible for this as well. We don't have a pet ourselves as my OH is allergic.
Page 1
    • Laconic
    • By Laconic 25th Aug 16, 10:02 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Laconic
    • 25th Aug 16, 10:02 AM
    • 25th Aug 16, 10:02 AM
    Scat mat. Replace your doormat with one. Won't happen again. Get a second doormat for wiping your feet inside the house.
    LBM: June 2012. Amount owed: ~12,000
    Debt free: 15 January 2015!

• helcat26
    • By helcat26 25th Aug 16, 10:45 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    helcat26
    • 25th Aug 16, 10:45 AM
    • 25th Aug 16, 10:45 AM
    Get off crystals have worked well on my lawn
    • TrixA
    • By TrixA 25th Aug 16, 2:56 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    TrixA
    • 25th Aug 16, 2:56 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 2:56 PM
    Scat mat. Replace your doormat with one. Won't happen again. Get a second doormat for wiping your feet inside the house.
    Originally posted by Laconic
    I had to google Scat mat, but it appears that this product is only for use indoors?
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 25th Aug 16, 3:00 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 5,848 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 25th Aug 16, 3:00 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 3:00 PM
    Could you set up a camera to keep watch so that when you eventually spot the guilty party you could perhaps set off some sort of water spray? Yes it might take some setting up and a little patience but think of the satisfaction...
    Pants
    • TrixA
    • By TrixA 25th Aug 16, 3:10 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    TrixA
    • 25th Aug 16, 3:10 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 3:10 PM
    Could you set up a camera to keep watch so that when you eventually spot the guilty party you could perhaps set off some sort of water spray? Yes it might take some setting up and a little patience but think of the satisfaction...
    Originally posted by warehouse
    I'm envisaging a scene out of the movie Home Alone, but with cats instead of burglars In reality I would probably end up soaking the postman.
    • Laconic
    • By Laconic 25th Aug 16, 3:46 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Laconic
    • 25th Aug 16, 3:46 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 3:46 PM
    There are outdoor versions of scat mats. As a cat has to stand there to poop, it'll convince it in pretty short order to find someplace else.
    LBM: June 2012. Amount owed: ~12,000
    Debt free: 15 January 2015!

• TrixA
    • By TrixA 25th Aug 16, 4:32 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    TrixA
    • 25th Aug 16, 4:32 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 4:32 PM
    There are outdoor versions of scat mats. As a cat has to stand there to poop, it'll convince it in pretty short order to find someplace else.
    Originally posted by Laconic
    I can't find these outdoor versions - can you post a link?

In any case I can't see that this would be practical given that the location is a doormat - I'd probably just end up shocking myself or visitors to the house.
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 25th Aug 16, 5:16 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    • 25th Aug 16, 5:16 PM
    • 25th Aug 16, 5:16 PM
    I had a similar problem, but with my own cat on an indoor mat.

I'd go with the suggestion of removing the outdoor mat, at least for a while. Hopefully you can break the habit of the offending cats, and then return it. But you could get a mat just inside your door for a few weeks.

You also need to thoroughly clean the area. I know you said you have, but did you use bleach? Bleach, and "...with bleach" cleaning products will contain ammonia. This smells almost exactly like cat wee, and will actually encourage cats to go there. I suggest using something like "Wee Away", or similar pet odour and stain remover. It's not hugely expensive. But if you don't want to buy any, try something like washing up liquid to clean it.

Once it's thoroughly clean, you can make the area smell very unattractive. Cats generally hate the smell of citrus. You can buy citronella sprays, or I used lemon essential oil (dirt cheap on amazon). As it's outside, you can apply pretty liberally, and keep applying every day as the smell with wear or wash off.

My cat took about a week to lose interest in weeing on that spot. So I would keep applying the citrus smell for at least that long. One last thing, if your outside mat is a coir type mat (hairy bristles), they can often mimic an area where a cat would naturally go. I would swap to a rubber mat. Not so great at cleaning boots, but much less attractive to cats.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 25th Aug 16, 6:54 PM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 8,358 Thanks
    prowla
    I've often wondered about scattering drawing pins about.

Another option would be to acquire a motion detecting dog barking machine!
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 25th Aug 16, 10:54 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Mupette
    wash it down with bio soap powder to get rid of the amonena

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• Prothet of Doom
    • By Prothet of Doom 26th Aug 16, 12:25 AM
    • 3,139 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Prothet of Doom
    Our cat often poohs on the back door matt, inside. The dog has attempted to roll in it once, and I have ruined 2 pairs of slippers, and also had slimmy pooh between my toes.

She has also taken to poohing in the plant pots on the patio, in the middle of the grass.

She is viscious and scares the dog and visitors.

I fear the solution is to kill her. Or get a one way cat flap. Or move
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 26th Aug 16, 11:22 PM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 6,768 Thanks
    theoretica
    What about a door mat of this sort? It doesn't look comfortable for a cat and is washable.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331601929829
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    hubb
    I am having the exact same problem and if we take the matt away it poos on the flagstones. NOTHING works.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5,600 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    sheramber
    We had a neighbour's car decide to relax on our front doorstep every day.

Despite having three dogs entering and leaving the house it did not deter the cat.

I had to chase her way to bring the dogs out or let them out of the car to go into the house. But she just came back.

She lived 2 doors up , along with a dog, so was not scared of the dogs.

Spikey rose prunings worked to deter her from using the front garden as a toilet.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 7th Aug 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    Fen1
    Ultrasonic repeller?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Set-Activated-Waterproof-Repellent-Ultrasonic/dp/B01ID8T3IK/ref=pd_aw_sbs_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D1E EGNN5MCJ590T2JJB0

Jackson Galaxy on My Cat From Hell uses something similar. He also uses motion activated compressed air cans.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Aug 18, 7:38 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 5,213 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Try sprinkling olbas oil on the mat. Most cats really hate the smell.
    • iamtati
    • By iamtati 24th Nov 18, 2:45 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    iamtati
    Change the mat and put some vinegar on a new mat.
    • Claddagh_Noir
    • By Claddagh_Noir 24th Nov 18, 2:54 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Claddagh_Noir
    Citrus should do the job hopefully.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,977Users online

Martin's Twitter