Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 16th Aug 16, 9:19 AM
    • 271Posts
    • 1,021Thanks
    remote_control
    Facing up and cracking on
    • 16th Aug 16, 9:19 AM
    Facing up and cracking on 16th Aug 16 at 9:19 AM
    Hi

We are in debt and we need to face up to it as I do not want it to define the next few years of our life.

In a nut shell, we moved to a house that was slightly over budget and did a lot of DIY.

Debt as of July 2016 20,485.45

We don't act like we're in debt, we just carry on as normal. I am hoping this diary will help to change this.

Feel a bit scared and tearful posting this!

Thanks in advance for your support!!
Page 5
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 20th Jun 18, 9:32 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    Not a lot to report, very very close to being under 18k which is very exciting, and also where we started at the beginning of the year before spending a ton of money on the house.

I did get rid of the things I have been relisting on ebay for over 3 years. It feels a shame as they were in near new condition and I paid a lot of money for them but nevermind. I love getting rid of things and the house is a bit more empty so that is a win.

OH is still very much on board which is great. I am relaxing a little bit though now as we have set up fixed payments on all the debts totaling 621 a month. This gives a DFD of Nov 2020 and any ebay or surveys I get I pay off my card for the 1% challenge so this date should only move closer.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 21st Jun 18, 3:17 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    Think I might spend the evening scraping the barrel to see if I can find anything else to sell. I love the 1% challenge, my 1% is 39 as one of my cards was at 3900 when I started. All I have to think about is getting my next 39. I was doing quite lucrative surveys and market research but it has slowed down. Swagbucks is taking years. So is Shoppix.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 1st Jul 18, 6:53 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    1st July
    Debt 17,378.60, DFD October 2020.
    1. 2363.14
    2. 2629.48
    3. 5350
    4. 7036
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 6th Jul 18, 7:14 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    No payments to report but I did my monthly spreadsheet of what we spent and its so nice to see that we spend less than we earn each month. We're going through the planning application process and so I'm just keeping any extra money in the bank awaiting my next bill from the architect. It all moves so slowly!
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 9th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    Had a really nice weekend and spent a bit but also cashed out Shoppix. It's borderline if it is worth it or not, it has probably taken me two months to get a fiver. But it isn't much effort.

Did some surveys and sold something so am now up to 40% paid on debt 1. Feels good. My target is 60% before we go away in 5 weeks, that's going to be very tough.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 11th Jul 18, 3:14 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    Signed up to that ice loyalty thing that was on the MSE email, hoping it all goes through and I get a 10 voucher I can use in M&S or John Lewis to get some clothes.

Up to 42% on my 1% challenge. Not much else in the pipeline in extra income though.
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 11th Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Rachel24
    I'm the same as you love the 1% challenge. October 2020 isn't that long away to be debt free :-)
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 12th Jul 18, 3:21 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    remote_control
    I love MSE! Just got 20 of M and S vouchers as my husband and I both signed up to the ICE loyalty thing that it said about in the weekly email. It was sooooo simple. And I bought two things we really need. Wish there were more regular amazing deals like that! Compared to the time I put in to Swagbucks and I've not even got one voucher yet!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,041Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you maintain performance at work when under pressure?... What about you? Part 2 of my bit of the? https://t.co/G5Cej3GYuz

• What does resilience mean to you? For me it?s understanding my own limitations, physically and mentally? What about? https://t.co/CuuRLoQFTr

• Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• Follow Martin