Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 16th Aug 16, 9:19 AM
    • 280Posts
    • 1,057Thanks
    remote_control
    Facing up and cracking on
    • 16th Aug 16, 9:19 AM
    Facing up and cracking on 16th Aug 16 at 9:19 AM
    Hi

We are in debt and we need to face up to it as I do not want it to define the next few years of our life.

In a nut shell, we moved to a house that was slightly over budget and did a lot of DIY.

Debt as of July 2016 20,485.45

We don't act like we're in debt, we just carry on as normal. I am hoping this diary will help to change this.

Feel a bit scared and tearful posting this!

Thanks in advance for your support!!
Page 4
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 12th Apr 18, 6:03 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 8,400 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hi, just having a mooch round some diaries, I use receipt hog from my receipts, you get coins as rewards 12000 coins =50, it's going to take me years, but, it doesn't actually take long, so it will eventually be free money

Wish
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Procrastination101
    • By Procrastination101 12th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Procrastination101
    Evening
    Thought I would pop in and say hi! You're doing so well...although it may feel like you haven't made a dent in the debt, you have increased the value of your home - which in the long term is a good thing I think (not that I have a great deal of experience, my home needs to be renovated, that's the extent of my knowledge! Oh and I watched Homes Under the Hammer once)

What's this 1% challenge you mention? It sounds intriguing!
    20 a day in May 41/620 (previously 661/600)
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 12th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Hi, I used receipt hog for a while, think I got 3. I used survey sites for a while too, but for the amount of time I had to it in, for me it just didn't seem worth it. However there are quite a few people on here that love them and earn well from them.
    I am trying to eat better, I need to shift around 3stone, but seem to have no will power, so will be following your journey.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 13th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Will power - my old nemesis! I am just taking it one day at a time and trying to eat sensibly. I've lost weight before and then lose self control and eat tons. Christmas, Easter, birthdays are all my downfall.

The 1% Challenge: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74154054

Really working for me. One of my debts is 3900 so 1% is 39. Any extra cash I can get from overtime, selling and surveys goes here. All I have to think about is how to get the next 39.

I'll have a look at receipt hog, but I do agree Drawing, I want a simple life really, not spending lots of time doing little bits.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 16th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Weight
    I lost 1.5lbs this week but have eaten a lot over the weekend. Not feeling great about it but I am exercising

Money
    Ticking along ok, no payments unfortunately but doing ok with surveys and things. Already thinking swagbucks is a waste of time and it's not even been a week! Going to try to make 1% on there (39) then I can ditch it! Can't wait for one of the DDs to go out towards the debt as then we will be sub 20k!
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 19th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Weight
    Had a couple of bad days but have been good the past two and am exercising three times a week. Now the sun is out and back to school my walking will improve. I think I'm a bit meh about it as although I have 8lbs to lose to be my target weight I am normally only 3lbs above my target weight so I just feel massive with those extra 5lbs of winter weight.

Money
    Not a lot to report. Waiting for a few pending surveys to cash out so not making any progress with anything. We're in our overdraft so can't make any cheeky over payments. Some DDs go out in the next couple of days which will bring us sub 20k which will be very very exciting.
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 19th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    Weight
    Had a couple of bad days but have been good the past two and am exercising three times a week. Now the sun is out and back to school my walking will improve.
    Originally posted by remote_control
    The sun coming out has lit a fire under my butt I do much better in warm weather with both exercise and eating, as I only get chocolate cravings when I'm cold!

Nothing much on the money front here either - now I've moved all my direct debits to the first week of the month there's not a lot of activity unless I make a sale or do a survey cashout.
    LBM: Jan 2017. Total owed: 46993.21
    Current debt: 31258.39
    DFD: May 2021
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 20th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    In the 19s!! It's all downhill from here......
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 20th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 7,079 Posts
    • 15,328 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Congrats on getting into the 19ks again. At least you know where the debt is coming from and the cards are on 0%. If you can keep up the 620 monthly payments it looks like less than 3 years before you are debt free. Do you also save towards house projects?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 20th Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 7,417 Posts
    • 9,507 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Morning! Hope you don't mind me popping in. I have read back and I think you are doing great. Its amazing that you have managed to invest in your house without adding significantly to your debt. Also, as you know you live within your means otherwise, you can be comfortable that once the debt is busted you can keep it that way!

Wishing you many more sunshine filled, energy packed days!
    Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/240918: 3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    Don't give in; Don't you dare quit so easy
    Give all; That you got on the soul
    Snow Patrol. 'Don't give in'. 21.3.18
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 20th Apr 18, 10:39 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Hi enthusiastic, we replaced the boiler last year and did a project which cost around 1300 which was all paid for with savings and within our monthly income and expenditure. The renovation project we did this year we saved about half of it. Yes the biggest flaw is that we don't save for the projects. My debt planner app has an end date of Dec 2020 so looking to reduce that!

Thanks for popping in Lucifa, wishing you sun-filled days too and thank you for your encouraging words.

Cashed out some bits and pieces today and am now at 18% on my 1% challenge. 82% to go......
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 22nd Apr 18, 7:52 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Weight
    Lost just under 2lbs this week so about half a stone to go which is brilliant.

Money
    No extra debt payments, yesterday was highs and lows, some unexpected income and some unexpected expenditure!
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 22nd Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Hi remote control. As well as receipt hog the shoppix app is good for taking picture of receipts. I don't get much with receipt hog but I've had 10 with shoppix so far. I don't use swagbucks but have you tried prolific academic? I've earned over 100 on that so far!
    Also make sure you have TopCashback as it's a good way to make money! You're doing so well keep it up mrs :-) xx
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 26th Apr 18, 7:04 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Pay day! wahoo. That nice bit of the month where the balance looks good before everything goes out. I made a few extra debt payments just now, rounded down one of the cards that wasn't a round number, paid off a card that we can now close (as we did a balance transfer).

Debt is now:
    Card 1: 2790
    Card 2: 5900
    Card 3: 3107.21
    Card 4: 7600
    Total: 19397.21 All on 0%. Can't wait to be in the 18s.

I'm doing shoppix now and swagbucks. Both are sooooo slow. However I will plod on until I get my 1% for card 3 (39).

Weight
    Had a few bad days over the weekend. They weren't really bad, just how I want to eat e.g. pizza one day, some cake at a party. I'm always much more restrained on the days I work though in the week.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 8th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Getting family members on board is a bit of a struggle at the moment. I think having the debt on 0% makes it seem like much less of an issue. Obviously it would be silly to have it any other way but I do need to somehow make them see we do actually need to pay it off - not least for my own sanity!!

Debt really hasn't gone down and weight is similar. I think this is all post bank-holiday blues! That's the trouble when it is such nice weather!
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 9th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    MAJOR family not on board issues. What can I do?
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 14th May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Working Mum
    Sorry but I have just caught up on your thread ((hugs))

MAJOR family not on board issues. What can I do?
    Originally posted by remote_control
    How does this manifest itself??

What are the things you think the family members do which is jeopardising or sabotaging your debt free journey??
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 7,417 Posts
    • 9,507 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Have you laid out how long there is until the 0% expires and then give an idea of the interest cost if you can't shift to another 0%, or even the fees for shifting? Would that help?

What keeps us motivated is understanding how well we will be able to live once the debt is gone. Not having to say 'no' to takeaway when the kids want it because its another 15 to the debt would feel amazing...

That's a bit rambling - I hope you get my point
    Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/240918: 3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    Don't give in; Don't you dare quit so easy
    Give all; That you got on the soul
    Snow Patrol. 'Don't give in'. 21.3.18
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 7th Jun 18, 1:35 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    Thanks for the comments. We have had a very frugal month and our end of month budget was in the black by over 1000 which was great. So we're out of our overdraft now and the debt is going down slowly.

Debt as of 1st June 18197.14

1. 2589.14
    2. 2690
    3. 5600
    4. 7318
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 13th Jun 18, 8:20 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    remote_control
    In the limbo time where we wait for payments to go out. Really nice to be well out of our overdraft finally.

I've done one survey tonight. Nothing left to ebay (that I can think of). Might get rid of some of the stuff I have been relisting for 2 years. Would like to prioritise more reading to get rid of my massive pile of books I want to read. I'm so bad at making time for it.

Nothing else to report. Just a waiting game. I just want to pay it all off, then the mortgage, then go on lots of holidays. Plus do up the house. Need to work on living in the here and now and not wishing it all away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,262Posts Today

8,084Users online

Martin's Twitter