Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 2,007Thanks
    copperjar
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?
    • 15th Aug 16, 2:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy? 15th Aug 16 at 2:29 PM
    It seems there are a lot of threads from people waiting to sell, get mortgage, an exchange date, new builds etc, but none from people looking to find their dream house, which is no less stressful!

We've been provisionally looking since March/April time and haven't really seen anything but thought we'd get our house on the market anyway and that would push us in the right direction. Got an offer on the house 2 days after it going on the market which we accepted, on the proviso that we'd be given some time to find somewhere. End of Sept was suggested as a reasonable timescale. But we are still no further to finding anywhere at all!

Starting to get pretty stressed and tetchy now! Don't really want to go into rented and it feels like the clock is ticking. Starting to get letters from the solicitor which is worrying me (he knows about us not having anywhere yet) and I'm feeling pressured even though no pressure is being applied!

My experience of estate agents isn't great either. They must be the only customer service industry in the country that won't work outside of office hours and I get most phone calls and effort put in from them trying to get me to speak to their financial advisors! I just want to get a house!! Argh

I know I'm probably in a very good position but it doesn't feel that way right now. Market is so slow, just want a flurry of new houses to come up in September!
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
Page 32
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 23rd Nov 17, 1:55 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Placed my fist offer EVER!
    OMG, I can't believe I got this far, placing my first ever offer on a property! It's a tiny flat, in a "up and coming" aka, not super nice, part of town...but it's a step up from renting and with a bit of upgrading I can see it becoming "mine".
    I'm just slightly worried cause I made an offer a bit (cough, 10%) less than the asking price...but it needs some work to it, it's tiny, has been out for quite a while, and the market in the area has been flooded with former BTL properties, bringing down the prices

Is it normal that I feel like i should call the EA every second minute to check if he's heard back from the vendor?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 23rd Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Anyone still looking?? Iím losing the will and thereís been nothing of interest to us in weeks now.
    Originally posted by scottishgirl87
    Yep still looking, albeit half halfheartedly. We did find somewhere a couple of weeks ago which would have been ideal, the shell of the house was perfect for what we wanted however it needed complete renovation as it hadn't been touched since the 60s. It was on for £340k, offer put in for £300k due to the amount of work needed, was told by EA that the vendor laughed at our offer! Apparently it had been sold previously but chain collapsed and it had sold for £20k over the asking price of £340k.

Going on holiday soon anyway so will resume the search in January.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • scottishgirl87
    • By scottishgirl87 2nd Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    scottishgirl87
    Anyone hoping this month is a new beginning? I!!!8217;m really hopiing so as there has been nothing round here since mid November Fingers crossed for all those New Year listings!
    • marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 2nd Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    marlasinger
    We accepted an offer on our house on the Tuesday before XMas. We were initially so excited to have an offer after being on the market for only 3 weeks, but now realise that it was a rotten time of year to be buying!

Several months ago I had about 6 pages of properties favourited on RightMove. Now I have 1 page, and of those we have viewed only one seems like a possibility. It's a house which needs a lot of work and initially we wanted something that required no work at all. But we may have to make this compromise else risk losing our buyer. We are crossing our fingers that more properties will come on the market in the next month.
    marlasinger

• marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 7th Jan 18, 6:04 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    marlasinger
    Anyone having any joy in the first week after New Years? We viewed one, but it turned out to have a lot of shared access and rights of way, which isn't good for us having a dog.

Keep checking Right Move and Zoopla, and many houses are coming on the market, just not ones that are suitable for us.

Here's hoping next week will be better.
    marlasinger

• phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 7th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 6,645 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Anyone having any joy in the first week after New Years? We viewed one, but it turned out to have a lot of shared access and rights of way, which isn't good for us having a dog.

Keep checking Right Move and Zoopla, and many houses are coming on the market, just not ones that are suitable for us.

Here's hoping next week will be better.
    Originally posted by marlasinger
    We're looking for a wreck project and received a text on 23rd Dec to say a house we'd been interested in was about to come back onto the market. Of course with it being the Saturday before Christmas Eve, by the time we went back to them they had closed for the hols, so we left a message with an offer.

Between Christmas and New Year this was declined and it then went to best and final offers - as in our experience many properties with a bit of land seem to be doing in Wales right now - on 3rd Jan.

We were successful, but only because we had just exchanged on our sale

I'm noticing the odd one or two coming on in our preferred areas - spread across three Welsh counties - including one that we missed out on in the Summer as we weren't then proceedable. It ticks more boxes than we one we offered on already so we were prepared to drop the other in favour of this one.

It came back on late Friday, apparently after the buyer lost their buyer - we called the EA first thing yesterday only to be told that someone else that missed out before had a viewing/would probably be offering and to call them back Monday to see if it's still available. They also said there were blocked viewings booked for yesterday and Monday. Sadly the earliest we can view is Tuesday, so that one is most likely a no......

Fingers crossed you get better luck next week, marlasinger
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • AndyB_B98
    • By AndyB_B98 14th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AndyB_B98
    Good evening fellow house hunters!
    I am a first time buyer. Have got close to purchasing a house recently, but was forced to pull out due to issues with the property. Not looking it as a big issue, though. Just gives me more time to save the money I want to be comfortable with moving.
    Ill give you a bit of my back story - FTB, live with folks, solo buyer. Ive got a mortgage offer available until end of March. I am pretty specific with what I am looking for, so am choosing to be picky! Although Im taking the opportunity to save more money, I would like to buy sooner rather than later. Its not good being in your 30s and still at home!!
    Ive got Right Move email alerts on, checking website constantly! If nothing comes about in next 6 weeks or so, Ill take some time off work and sign up again with the local Estate Agents.

Although Ive not been in the right financial position until last summer, I have been looking at the local market for about 3 years, just to see what its like. From what Ive seen, a decent property meeting my criteria, becomes available average every 3-5 weeks. So I'm optimistic something will come along before Easter. Maybe even options!!
    • nadiamaj
    • By nadiamaj 15th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    nadiamaj
    Hi

Im the other way round...... everything ready to exchange and buyer pulls out ...... my dream house!!!! im devastated and it took us 3 years to find it

my house back on .......
    • it'smeok
    • By it'smeok 29th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    it'smeok
    Afternoon all - mind if I join you? We're FTB, have been browsing RM for a while but lately have decided it's time to crack on. We're renting at the moment.
    Saw one at the weekend which was in a gorgeous location but probably a bit smaller than we had hoped - not much bigger than where we are now (tho with more storage space).
    I spoke to the EA this morning about the smaller one and said we were thinking about it but it was a bit small etc. I asked just for info if the seller was considering offers, and they said it's been on for a few weeks with no offers yet so it might be worth a try.
    So now we're considering making a fairly low offer, just to see what happens? We both liked the house a lot - the size would be the only concern - but then we're thinking of this as being the house we stay in for only a few years, until we're ready for a 'grown up' family house! So if they say no, it's no great loss, but if they accept... That would be quite exciting. Anyone have any thoughts on this approach?
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 29th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smevchenko
    Just started looking properly, viewed a house last week, perfect, however cash buyer offered significantly more than asking price, so couldn't compete.

Viewed one yesterday, arranged viewing on Friday, submitted asking price offer this morning, vendor has gone with another asking price offer that was submitted before ours.... frustrating! The offer was made before we viewed on Sunday, so nothing we could have done anyway If they were always going with first asking price offer received.
    • studentguy
    • By studentguy 29th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    studentguy
    We're FTB looking, but is it us or is the market very slow at the moment? There doesn't appear to be a lot of houses up for sale in the areas we're looking, hoping it picks up soon
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
    • Elfinpie
    • By Elfinpie 1st Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Elfinpie
    I!!!8217;m in Southport and the market is dire!

We thought we!!!8217;d found our perfect home and after going back and forth over the Christmas period we offered full asking at the beginning of January (which the vendors stated they!!!8217;d accept beforehand and even offered to through in appliances if we went to asking). We had to wait a week for the EA to come back to us as the couple were separated and the husband was apparently deciding how the sale would proceed. Turned out he has now decided he!!!8217;s not moving out so it!!!8217;s gone to a !!!8216;legal sale!!!8217; which will apparently take months and the house has been removed from the market in the meantime aaggghhh!
    There has literally been nothing suitable since and everything that has come up and is suitable is out of our price range (and looking at very recent sold prices massively over-priced).
    It!!!8217;s soooo frustrating! It!!!8217;s taken 2 years to get to the point of being able to get a mortgage and I!!!8217;m desperate to move out of our tiny (much hated) house lol.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 1st Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 12,175 Posts
    • 76,403 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been looking, online sites only so far, since early september. I know the area I want but nothing is for sale, nothing except a couple of very old ramshackle moneypits. I am a cash buyer and could move fast but there is nothing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,909Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin