PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We are viewing a property today which is only the second one we will have viewed. Only been "seriously" looking the last 4 weeks or so however not a great deal coming up in the area's we want, within the budget we have set and which meet our criteria.

It's boring stuff i have to say!

First Time Buyers

Good luck Gunther Golf, hope you find the perfect place soon. There is very little coming up near me too, it's terribly stagnant and so frustrating!
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • MeandO wrote: »
    Oh how exciting Copperjat! I have everything crossed for you, it's about time one of us had some luck! Let us know how it goes.

The house with no parking is mine if I want it, for a reasonably good price. As much as I try, I just can't get excited about the whole thing though. :(

Thank you!
    Well the EA phoned back, ours if we go £2k higher. That is still £15k less than asking price and lower than we were prepared to go so it's a yes! All systems go. Can't believe it. Feel very excited!

I think you are talking about the house you have seen like I was the other one we put an offer in for. In theory a good buy and nothing wrong with it but doesn't get the excitement flowing?! I don't believe in the "youll just know" romanticised view of buying houses, but I do think there should be some excitement! Maybe the one for you is still to come?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Exclellent news Copperjar, so please for you, it's been a long wait hasn't it!

Well, I thought long and hard and I have decided to go with the house that will be a private sale. I do really like the house, the parking was putting me off, but I am not climbing up the ladder, I am moving down it a little to make life easier and to go part time at work, so I figured I will have to make allowances.
    Now that I have made the decision I am quite excited. I think it is more the thought of the actual logistics of moving and of my little one changing schools that is making me nervous and uneasy, but it has to be done. Solcitors have been informed, will book the survey for next week, so it's all go. :)
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • Great news for you as well MeandO! The pair of us struggling then having offers accepted within 24 hours of each other! Congratulations!!

Feeling really excited but already stressing a bit about my solicitor. I was advised to go with one person from the solicitors office and not another - and he has passed my case over to the person I didn't want! Argh
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    copperjar wrote: »
    Great news for you as well MeandO! The pair of us struggling then having offers accepted within 24 hours of each other! Congratulations!!

Feeling really excited but already stressing a bit about my solicitor. I was advised to go with one person from the solicitors office and not another - and he has passed my case over to the person I didn't want! Argh
    MeandO wrote: »
    Exclellent news Copperjar, so please for you, it's been a long wait hasn't it!

Well, I thought long and hard and I have decided to go with the house that will be a private sale. I do really like the house, the parking was putting me off, but I am not climbing up the ladder, I am moving down it a little to make life easier and to go part time at work, so I figured I will have to make allowances.
    Now that I have made the decision I am quite excited. I think it is more the thought of the actual logistics of moving and of my little one changing schools that is making me nervous and uneasy, but it has to be done. Solcitors have been informed, will book the survey for next week, so it's all go. :)

Huge congrats to both of you. ive been following this thread for a while since I was looking, I just never posted. Really pleased you both found somewhere. Over to waiting to exchange for you both :beer:
  • Thank you! So thrilled we found somewhere we really like!
    Just impatient now for it all to get moving!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • Levs01 wrote: »
    Huge congrats to both of you. ive been following this thread for a while since I was looking, I just never posted. Really pleased you both found somewhere. Over to waiting to exchange for you both :beer:

Hear hear!

I've been closely following this thread as I'm in a similar position and it's been so helpful.

Hope there's a happy ending for both of you (and for me:rotfl:)
  • Thank you psychological! How's your purchase coming along?

I bought my first (and only) house 15 years ago. Have forgotten the processes involved!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2016 at 8:07PM
    Getting increasingly frustrated with the market here. We went to see a place today quite a bit over our 300-325K budget (they were asking 365K) just because there's nothing else on the market at all that meets our requirements. We couldn't believe what a terrible job the owners had done given the potential of the plot and how much money they have spent on it. There were multiple extensions, but as the initial extension wasn't square with the rest of the property, each additional extension just felt more awkward and none of the layout made sense. They'd removed the hallway wall and then put another angled one back in, making the living room a bizarre 'L' shape. The kitchen was a triangle shape and there was a utility and an office that both went away from the house at different angles. Despite the size of the upstairs none of the double bedrooms were a decent size. Enough room to walk around the side of the bed but no room for dressing tables etc. They'd managed to squeeze a toilet and sink in the corner of one bedroom, and a shower and sink in another, but neither of them a full en-suite. There were 2 large bathrooms both upstairs and downstairs (even though there's no downstairs bedrooms!?!) and the downstairs toilet (another extension) cut across the side of the driveway meaning that you could no longer get a car around the side of the house where it would make sense to have a garage. It's perhaps unsurprising that we were the first people to view in 3 weeks (the vendor let slip as soon as she opened the door).

Hoping the market picks up a bit soon and people start selling again.
  • Super duper pleased for you both, Meando and Copperjar!!

Congratulations! xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport