Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dw1983
    • By Dw1983 12th Aug 16, 11:19 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Dw1983
    HSBC Credit limit
    • 12th Aug 16, 11:19 PM
    HSBC Credit limit 12th Aug 16 at 11:19 PM
    Hi Guys,

I have been trying to repair my credit history after problems a few years ago I have a capital one card at 1000 limit and an Mbna at 1000 limit.

I applied and was accepted for an HSBC credit card and it's come through today with a 6000 limit just wondered what the general starting limit they give is?

Thanks for any help
Page 7
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 16th Mar 18, 3:07 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    I re applied for HSBC credit card this was on the 5th march its know the 16th march and as yet no reply so far not even yes or a rejection

Can someone tell me if this means that its approved the time lenght its taken so far or is it just a rejection like before 3month ago
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 16th Mar 18, 3:10 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    Can you elaborate on the ccj you had when this was
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 16th Mar 18, 3:12 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    The question for ccj was for nissan st
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 17th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    I've applied for a current account with HSBC. 3.5k provisional overdraft offer online too (I took zero). Then they wanted ID and other nonsense.... went into branch. Phoned up to see what was going on, as it was long even by their standards..... lady was nice but didn't know why it hadn't moved, so raised a complaint for me (without me even asking!).

Complaints finally wrote to me to tell me I'd never been to branch with ID so there is no error and to jog on.

Why can't they get decent electronic verification like other banks! Or just something like the online document upload service that RBS Group use. I'd hate to work in Customer Service or Complaints there, I dread to think how many queries they get over processing times!!!
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 18th Mar 18, 3:35 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    Yeah have agree but the 2 times i have applied before they was quick to send me a leter saying i have been declined took i would say a week to get declined leter but this

My second apllication when was declined the guy said on phone was a referral and the underwriter declined it i got leter 3days later

This time well nothing yet no deckine nor aproved yet i did phone up 2days after application and asked and the lady said it was in processing not sure what she meant by that but hey how
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 18th Mar 18, 4:05 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    maxximus75
    I applied and was accepted but only got an 1800 credit limit

I have had the card for 6 months now but no change in limit.

When should I call and ask for an increase? Would it be a soft search with internal scoring or would it be a hard search if I did make the request?
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 18th Mar 18, 4:36 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    You could phone them up know

Make sure you paid your card every month for the six months you had it also make sure all your other credit commitments is good i dont think they will do a hard search i think they will do a soft search but to make sure you can ask them in advance if there is offers on your card
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 18th Mar 18, 4:39 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    Maxximus what was you credit history like when you applied did you have defualts how old and many searches ect ect
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 18th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Alexland
    This time well nothing yet no deckine nor aproved yet i did phone up 2days after application and asked and the lady said it was in processing not sure what she meant by that but hey how
    Originally posted by Whytetwns
    Am in the same boat been waiting nearly a week with no update. I have 3 other CCs - one recently closed, one I pay in full each month and another with an 8k stooze pot which I only pay the minimum (I should have paid a bit more). I recently took out a 10k short term 2.9% Zopa loan to fill our S&S ISAs for the end of the tax year which might be working against me. I am an Advance customer so was hoping to use the new HSBC card for the 25 incentive which would pay some of the 0.6% fee to BT the stooze pot and push it out 32 months.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 18-03-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    • nissan st
    • By nissan st 18th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nissan st
    the two ccj were for defaulted debts from 2011.
    1 in 2017 ccj 1000 c card unsettled
    2 in 2016 ccj 3000 c card. unsettled i got in a biog mess back then

but to add to the bizzare nature of the approval hsbc dug up and old account with hfc and opened and closed it on Equifax on the same day . it showed a 18 balance (final payment on laptop) .
    I checked and I think this payment was not payed, it was a direct debit .

none showed on Experian but like I said they herd searched then all .
    if you do it its done
    • nissan st
    • By nissan st 18th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nissan st
    also
    yes i got the letter saying they had not recieved id. that id was sent internal mail at a hsbc branch.
    i went to a differnt branch just becuase I was near it, and they done it all on computer.
    I phoned that day and although all id was received the chap wouldn't discuss approval status or limit.
    a question for the experts . do hsbc realy loose so much id or is it some sort of extra double check ?
    if you do it its done
    • nissan st
    • By nissan st 18th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nissan st
    also
    does anyone think this would have been a auto decline if i was on ER ?
    is it possible it was approved becuase i wasnt on er it could be reffered to a human being and then approved ?

hsbc never wanted to phone me for extra security but mbna did
    if you do it its done
    • Whytetwns
    • By Whytetwns 19th Mar 18, 3:30 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Whytetwns
    Well i still have not heard anything yet

I have 3 settled defualts all in 2014 however i did have few searches only to get most my debt under one roof hope get card to get my to high intrest cards into one and take advantage off the bt for 3700
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 19th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Given this thread and people's success with getting a reasonable limit with so so credit history, I thought I've give an application a crack.

Currently I've the following cards which are paid off in full each month.
    Barclaycard Platinum with 1200 limit
    Vanquis with 1500 limit.

I'd like to get shot of the Vanquis and now my CCJ from 2015 has been set aside, I'd hope I'd be able to do so, in part so I can get a better limit.

I've one settled credit card default from 2014 for c1900 which is the only negative in my credit history.

Applied just now with little risk I'd think given I'm not planning on getting a mortgage for another 15 months. My salary's 57k for what it's worth and no debt.

Applied and was told I'd get an email.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 19th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    HSBC's system is ancient, apart from Current Accounts I don't think they do instant approval for cards???.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 19th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Alexland
    HSBC's system is ancient, apart from Current Accounts I don't think they do instant approval for cards???.
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    Would be interesting to know if others have been automatically approved for a card. The whole application process came to such an abrupt end that it left me wondering if it was just me.

As an Advance customer they have sent me a couple of marketing emails since encouraging me to apply which makes me wonder why they are still driving for new applications if they cannot keep on top of the existing applications. Unless they are just behind on the exceptions like us.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 19-03-2018 at 8:49 PM.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 3rd Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Jeeeebus HSBC are rubbish!

Applied a couple of weeks ago and nothing. No record of my application on their system, so they say it must be with the underwriter still. Told to call again in a week.

In the meantime, applied for the BA Amex, referred, accepted (5700), card delivered and yet, nothing from HSBC. Pretty rubbish! Pull your finger out HSBC.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 5th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Phoned HSBC again, seems like I've been declined.

No major dramas, got the high(ish) limit BA AMEX now (funny I get that but nothing from HSBC), then stick with my 1500 Vanquis and 1200 Barclaycard for non-Amex transactions. Will be applying for a Mortgage in a year or so, so no harm done. Will reassess after that by which time my default will be about to drop off.

HSBC perhaps not quite as generous, but they appear crap, so not too fussed.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Alexland
    HSBC finally replied to my secure message on the 23rd accepting me with a measly 4k credit limit compared to my 16k Tesco limit. They promised to send out paperwork but no sign of it so just chased them again. It's been nearly a month since I applied. Hopeless.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 15th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Alexland
    HSBC have finally admitted they have been so slow in processing my application (even though it got accepted) that it has expired on their system and the deal they offered me is no longer available. Hopeless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

4,968Users online

Martin's Twitter