Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevenJcarroll
    • By stevenJcarroll 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 8,052Thanks
    stevenJcarroll
    Selling your soul to the devil
    • 4th Aug 16, 8:46 PM
    Selling your soul to the devil 4th Aug 16 at 8:46 PM
    I've noticed over the last few months that comments on Facebook competitions seems to be getting quite intense. What I mean is the sob stories. e.g. Comment to win a toilet roll, I have only got six months to live and I've never won anything, thanks this awesome prize so generous of you and good luck everybody. Let's not forget the photos and the emojis.

On a serious note does any of these comments make a difference in whether you win or not???
Page 43
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 22nd Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    And WTF with the crying faces on winning posts?
    Victims of injustice, images of famine-swollen bellies, despair of those at the very end of their tethers, cries of injured innocents in war-torn parts, any loss of a loved one - these are all worthy of tears.
    But you didn't win some crisps or deodorant - get a grip!!

(That rant's been brewing all year, sorry!)
    Originally posted by grannybiker
    That and Angry reaction symbols.
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 22nd Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Just spotted on a Virgin Radio presenters twitter comp, wanting people to 'offer a swap' to win a mystery prize.

In amongst a load of silly & random offers with pics (husky hair, silly Christmas jumpers, antifreeze, Xmas lights etc.) there's this

"I am quite willing to swap the trapped nerve I've got in the base of my spine. I've had it 2 year now and have come to the conclusion i want rid."

Not quite getting into the spirit of things.

eta: winner was the person who offered

"My bottle of BronchoStop cough medicine. I think its got one swig left just incase you get a little tickle. Hasn't worked for me.... I'm now on the harder stuff (antibios)."

Think more jokey/matter of fact to be an actual sob-story.

& the prize turned out to be a mermaid tail blanket for kids they might not have.
    Last edited by Jenna Appleseed; 22-12-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 22nd Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 12,569 Thanks
    dontone
    And WTF with the crying faces on winning posts?

Victims of injustice, images of famine-swollen bellies, despair of those at the very end of their tethers, cries of injured innocents in war-torn parts, any loss of a loved one - these are all worthy of tears.

But you didn't win some crisps or deodorant - get a grip!!

(That rant's been brewing all year, sorry!)
    Originally posted by grannybiker
    Reeks of sour grapes doesn't it?
    There are times where everybody has a go and doesn't win and maybe has a feeling of disappointment.
    But to do the crying emoji's and stuff isn't right, and there is no need for it.
    I'll admit that the ones that say 'you spelt my name wrong' do make me smile, but at least the vast majority of those do have the good grace to congratulate the winner.
    It's usually the ones who do quite well throughout the year that seem to moan the most. Ho-Hum.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 22nd Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Appropriately enough Ray Charles song of being broke and sob stories just came lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUbhmtaXZRM
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 24th Dec 17, 3:05 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Spotted on Christmas 24 movies Christmas bundle comp - "If l was to win this beautiful Christmas gift . I would give it to a homeless person or a family who is less fortunate as myself and my daughter ."

It's socks, hot water bottle, chocolate, sub to TV & sat week + other unknown items.

Not sure how much use a homeless person would get out of the TV guide sub part of the bundle.
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 7th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 38,802 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    THE funniest thing I've seen in a while!
    So on twitter someone has made a femfresh parody account and posted a clearly joke comp.
    The responses from some of the usuals are absolutely hilarious, some even saying it's the best thing ever etc.
    check it out
    https://twitter.com/FemfreshhUK/status/949286679969456128
    but be sure not to have a mouthful of tea when you read them!
    • dontone
    • By dontone 7th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 12,569 Thanks
    dontone
    So on twitter someone has made a femfresh parody account and posted a clearly joke comp.
    The responses from some of the usuals are absolutely hilarious, some even saying it's the best thing ever etc.
    check it out
    Originally posted by bubblebobble23
    I lost it when someone posted something about how 'hard it is to wash the roofs of 4x4's with a standard hosepipe'
    Tons of double entendre to be had there.
    And it also shows how desperate folk are to win something when they don;t even read the Tweet properly..... Serves 'em right.
    Be lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 8th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 18,724 Thanks
    Blueyez
    check it out
    account suspended, pity as I need a laugh.
    2018 wins-Sweet hamper:Gift Bundle:Stabilo stationery: Derwent pencils&pens: Prewett's biscuit bundle
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 8th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 38,802 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    I don't know how to post pics or I could screenshot it. if you click on the link you can see all the replies.
    It was a comp for a jetwash and pack of femfresh.. lol
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 8th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 10,775 Posts
    • 1,026,807 Thanks
    grannybiker
    I don't know how to post pics or I could screenshot it. if you click on the link you can see all the replies.
    It was a comp for a jetwash and pack of femfresh.. lol
    And they expected serious responses?
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 12th Jan 18, 3:26 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Comment on a blog hosting a gleam giveaway & doesn't ask you to comment to enter.

"I am saying my prayers that I will win this time! I haven't had much luck lately at winning! Please pick me!!!! thanks for the chance! <name>"
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 12th Jan 18, 5:19 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    In the comments for Win A Dinner, on their website.

"Ode to Win a dinner (rap version)

Yo yo yo
    Gimme dat voucha
    Wanna win me some grub
    Fed up of bein' a loser

Jamie's, nandos..
    I eat dem all
    I'll even eat PayPal
    With a juicy meatball"
    • mansey
    • By mansey 12th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 14,653 Thanks
    mansey
    In the comments for Win A Dinner, on their website.

"Ode to Win a dinner (rap version)

Yo yo yo
    Gimme dat voucha
    Wanna win me some grub
    Fed up of bein' a loser

Jamie's, nandos..
    I eat dem all
    I'll even eat PayPal
    With a juicy meatball"
    Originally posted by Jenna Appleseed
    At least that is funny, I would rather read that than a sob story
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    !!!8213; Billy Joel

"You are awful - but I do like you! - Mandy
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 13th Jan 18, 5:53 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    Also spotted on Win A Dinner's site comments

Let's get angry over irrelevant details to win irrelevant arguments
    "where my win, i deserve chicken"

+ another poem from a different poster this time whinging

"Never winning food doesnt help my mood . My dogs run and hide and i feel i am being taken for a ride .Will i ever win or am I destined to stay thin ?"

and there's also an argument over the blog link for Veganuary, re pro & against the claimed health benefits.
    Last edited by Jenna Appleseed; 13-01-2018 at 6:26 AM.
    • Minnibix
    • By Minnibix 19th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    Minnibix
    Sometimes I cannot believe what I am reading, on a comp to win a .... dress, is someone saying that they have lost their child in a court battle and also have an ear infection (how can you put those two things in the same sentence) but at least they have .... to keep them going - its a high street clothing company !!!!!!!
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 19th Jan 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 60,272 Thanks
    hdh74
    Sometimes I cannot believe what I am reading, on a comp to win a .... dress, is someone saying that they have lost their child in a court battle and also have an ear infection (how can you put those two things in the same sentence) but at least they have .... to keep them going - its a high street clothing company !!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Minnibix
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 21st Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 18,724 Thanks
    Blueyez
    People seem to be getting into a tagging frenzy on twitter.
    • cagsy
    • By cagsy 26th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    cagsy
    I lost it when someone posted something about how 'hard it is to wash the roofs of 4x4's with a standard hosepipe'
    Originally posted by dontone
    I just spat my coffee out!!!
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 26th Jan 18, 3:25 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 18,724 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Somebody over on 1st Central is turning 50 and a shopping voucher would help her with food. Haven't we had a 50th Birthday lady before?
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 26th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 27,298 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    LOL i am going to milk my 40th and my city break to Berlin to win a fish slice.
    June Wins: 25 winneroo, 10 amazon, 50 Restaurant Choice gift card, Darkest Hour DVD.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,187Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin