Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 30th Jul 16, 9:24 AM
    • 6,778Posts
    • 30,548Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Back to being a DFW..AGAIN!
    • 30th Jul 16, 9:24 AM
    Back to being a DFW..AGAIN! 30th Jul 16 at 9:24 AM
    Hi everyone.

I used to be a DFW but cleared all of my debt and was happily a DF'er for a while.

But several things happened last year. My son (16) is classified as disabled, and his condition has greatly deteriorated so i had to close down my business to care for him full time. This meant that my income is less than half of what it used to be

Then he managed to get awarded PIP, but it's a small amount (for which we are very grateful).

Then because of his illnesses, and travelling to and from his treatments and therapies, buying aids etc, i was having to put petrol costs (40 a week approx) at LEAST on a CC (credit card).

So...i am now in 8K of debt

Good news:

-We have now moved house, which although expensive in itself, is within 5 mins walk of most of my sons treatments. This saves me having to put petrol in the car every week

-I am within walking distance of most things, so again i don't have to use the car more than about twice a week.

-I am motivated to clear off my debt. I am going to do a SOA asap.

That's all for the time being.
    3/6 month emergency fund challenge #20
    PODBX17 #122

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 1
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 30th Jul 16, 2:57 PM
    • 15,688 Posts
    • 54,014 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 30th Jul 16, 2:57 PM
    • 30th Jul 16, 2:57 PM
    oooooooooooo I remember you- when I was more organised I used to like your lunch thread

I shall be following with interest

XXX
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 30th Jul 16, 3:36 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 14,903 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    • 30th Jul 16, 3:36 PM
    • 30th Jul 16, 3:36 PM
    Subscribed. You sound seriously motivated and willing to do what it takes to care for your son. I think that's so incredibly wonderful!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 31st Jul 16, 8:41 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:41 AM
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:41 AM
    oooooooooooo I remember you- when I was more organised I used to like your lunch thread

I shall be following with interest

XXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    Hi Buffy I used to follow your diary, do you still have one? I'll sub again.
    I wish i was organised enough to run the thread again, but my organisation seems to have run away with the being debt free
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 31st Jul 16, 8:43 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:43 AM
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:43 AM
    Subscribed. You sound seriously motivated and willing to do what it takes to care for your son. I think that's so incredibly wonderful!
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Thanks mila

My children are my world. I have a 12 year old too, and he struggles to put up with his brother at times. it can be hard work!

But i know life will be better for us all once i am DF again.

Thanks for the sub
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 31st Jul 16, 8:48 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:48 AM
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:48 AM
    So, i have put all of my Aqua balance (almost 3K @34%) and 1K of my Capital One balance (36%)on my Barclaycard, as i still have 12 months of 0% on balance transfers.

So, everything is one 1 card now, apart form 300 of the C1 card. Clearing that 300 this month is my first goal.

IF (and only if) i stick to a budget, i should clear off the 8K in the next 12 months. I am aware that Xmas is coming soon, so i will be putting 100 a month towards this every month until December. Once Jan 2016 is here, i'll stop that.

I need to do an SOA asap...
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 31st Jul 16, 9:00 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:00 AM
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:00 AM
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 864
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 850
    Other income............................ 100
    Total monthly income.................... 1814

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 18
    Electricity............................. 30
    Gas..................................... 30
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 60
    Telephone (land line)................... 48
    Mobile phone............................ 0
    TV Licence.............................. 13
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 8
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 250
    Clothing................................ 50
    Petrol/diesel........................... 80
    Road tax................................ 12
    Car Insurance........................... 45
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 50
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 60
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 20
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 7
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 100
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 951

Assets

Cash.................................... 230
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 1230

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Capital One....................300.......0.........NaN
    Barclaycard....................6800......0........ .NaN
    Total unsecured debts..........7100......0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,814
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 951
    Available for debt repayments........... 863
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 863

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 1,230
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -7,100
    Net Assets.............................. -5,870

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Last edited by WantToBeSE; 31-07-2016 at 9:10 AM.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 31st Jul 16, 9:09 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:09 AM
    • 31st Jul 16, 9:09 AM
    Explanations for my SOA:

-I put 48 in the landline section, and nothing in the mobile and internet sections. This is because i pay 48 a month for internet, landline and mobile.

-I have put 0 in the rent section as my rent is paid in full by HB which gets paid straight to the LL.

-60 water rates...sigh..yes, this is the actual amount. Living in Cornwall has it's downsides, and the extortionate water rates is one of the main ones. I am aiming to reduce this by at LEAST 10 a month.

-250 Groceries. I have been spending WAY MORE than this over the past 6 months. My son has Autism and can be very funny when it comes to textures and types of food that he will eat. 1 minute he will only eat tuna and chips, the next minute it'll be salad and potatoes. So stocking up on his favourite things isn't really possible either.

-Clothing/car maintenance/pet expenses. Currently i save 0 towards these, so i have put something in here because lets face it...my cat is getting older and may need some extra vet visits (she is now 12 and never had any health problems at all). My car is now 12 years old too and although it has sailed through every MOT without a problem, that wont last forever! And we all need new clothes every now and again!

-Other travel, 60 a month is for my younger son to get the bus to school.

So on paper i have plenty of money to throw towards my debt if i stick to this budget.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 31st Jul 16, 8:25 PM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:25 PM
    • 31st Jul 16, 8:25 PM
    I'm really pleased with myself, i have not spent any money at all today.
    That's the first day in a long time, and i hope it's the first of many!

I've been making more things from scratch now, as i have a big pantry which i have stocked (i did a 116 shop with Sainsburys). What i have in there has to last me a month, but it'll be plenty of food. I have lots of beans and chickpeas to make veggie burgers, loads of tinned tomatoes to make pasta/bolognaise/chilli sauces, lots of lentils to make veggies chilli etc.

So i only have 80 for the rest of the month for food, but i SHOULD only need fruit and veg, and bread products for breakfasts etc.

I am meeting a friend for coffee tomorrow, so will spend a few 's in Costa. But ANY food or drink spends come from the grocery budget, so that'll come from the 80 i just mentioned.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 2nd Aug 16, 4:01 PM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    So as of yesterday, I have transferred all of my debt (6K) apart from 200 onto a Barclaycard that had an intro offer of 0% on balance transfers for 25 months.

So the current balance of my CC debt stands at 6255.81
    That's a scary number!

I also owe a gardening company almost 1K for some work they are doing to my garden. When i took on this house, i knew that i had to fence the garden and get someone in to sort it out. It was so overgrown that it was damaging and creeping into the neighbours gardens. So part of my tenancy agreement included having to get that work done ASAP.

I am feeling slightly daunted by the big amount. I am already failing at the grocery budget..and am wondering if 250 is an unrealistic amount right now. We have been used to spending more like 400 so i have pretty much halved it instantly.

Struggling a little bit to stay optimistic already
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 2nd Aug 16, 4:39 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    tori.k
    Not unrealistic longterm but short term would probably work out better to reduce it each month until the family get used to the adjustments.
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 2nd Aug 16, 5:41 PM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Not unrealistic longterm but short term would probably work out better to reduce it each month until the family get used to the adjustments.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    Yes i think you are right, that's a better idea. So have added another 100 to the food budget, making it 350 from now on.
    Still a drop of 50 from where we were, but not as drastic a drop.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 2nd Aug 16, 9:34 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    tori.k
    You may be able to claim help with the school transport for being on a low income, do check this out with Cornwall council, it's not something they shout about but discretionary payments are available.

I share your pain with SWW I often think it would be cheaper to do a cleopatra and bath in milk

how old are your Kids? Cornwall has a fantastic resource for single parents COPS (cornwall one parent support) that's been running for years all over Cornwall, It's free and a godsend for keeping younger children entertained, there is always something going on.

As for the grocery budget just keep chipping away till you find your happy medium.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 2nd Aug 16, 10:03 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 14,903 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I think it's hard to go down on groceries that much in the beginning too. $50 less is realistic to begin with. Check out the August grocery challenge in OS money savers. It really does help me. I have halved my spending from last year. When I first started the challenge, I took into account one months takeaways, restaurants and groceries and added it up. I nearly have a fit when I saw the total. It was just unreal how much I was spending! The grocery challenge also has a long list of low cost recipes that may be helpful. Also, having the cushion to begin with will help you stock up on sale items. I mainly sale shop wherever I can >> especially meat.
    Your freezer is your friend. If you can't eat it, don't let it go bad in your fridge. Freeze it.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 02-08-2016 at 10:40 PM.
    [Regina Brett]
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 3rd Aug 16, 10:32 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    You may be able to claim help with the school transport for being on a low income, do check this out with Cornwall council, it's not something they shout about but discretionary payments are available.

I share your pain with SWW I often think it would be cheaper to do a cleopatra and bath in milk

how old are your Kids? Cornwall has a fantastic resource for single parents COPS (cornwall one parent support) that's been running for years all over Cornwall, It's free and a godsend for keeping younger children entertained, there is always something going on.

As for the grocery budget just keep chipping away till you find your happy medium.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    Thanks for the tips Tori

My son isn't able to get free school transport, as the school he attends isn't his closest. But I'll double check just to make sure.

Yes much cheaper to bathe in Milk!

I used to go to COPS when my kids were younger, i had no idea they were still going! They are now 16 and 12. I'll see if they do local groups.I dont know anyone here yet as i've only been living here about 3 weeks.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 3rd Aug 16, 10:33 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Today i need to:

-Clean the downstairs (done)
    -Write next weeks budget
    -Write a meal planner for the week
    -Pay the 200 that i didnt manage to put onto the 0% card (i think i'll wait until Friday to do this)
    -Sort through the recycling and take some to the recycling center
    -Write a list of things that need finishing in the house. The kitchen still needs painting, the bathroom also needs doing. The outhouse is being turned into an outside utility room, so i need to empty it and clean it before painting it.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 3rd Aug 16, 10:34 AM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    I think it's hard to go down on groceries that much in the beginning too. $50 less is realistic to begin with. Check out the August grocery challenge in OS money savers. It really does help me. I have halved my spending from last year. When I first started the challenge, I took into account one months takeaways, restaurants and groceries and added it up. I nearly have a fit when I saw the total. It was just unreal how much I was spending! The grocery challenge also has a long list of low cost recipes that may be helpful. Also, having the cushion to begin with will help you stock up on sale items. I mainly sale shop wherever I can >> especially meat.
    Your freezer is your friend. If you can't eat it, don't let it go bad in your fridge. Freeze it.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Thanks Mila I used to join the GC challenge every month, but gave up when i could never stick to it I need to make sure i don't lower it too much and then fail and give up. Best to lower it by just 50 and then see some success.
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Aug 16, 3:51 PM
    • 7,192 Posts
    • 27,711 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hiya, welcome back WantToBeSE
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4700.00 Lloyds: 8800.00 BC: 405.51 Cap One: GONE
    June LTW 9/19 ~ June NSD 1/5
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 3217.41/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 250.40/500 ~ EF 55/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 3rd Aug 16, 9:34 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 14,903 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Thanks Mila I used to join the GC challenge every month, but gave up when i could never stick to it I need to make sure i don't lower it too much and then fail and give up. Best to lower it by just 50 and then see some success.
    Originally posted by WantToBeSE
    I've done the challenge for 4 months and only stay within my budget once. But I find that as long as I do it, I am very mindful of what I spend. So it sort of works for me.
    [Regina Brett]
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 4th Aug 16, 1:33 PM
    • 6,778 Posts
    • 30,548 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Hiya, welcome back WantToBeSE
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thanks for popping over to say Hi PMO2
    PODBX17 #122

Total debt:
    14/01/2017 6247.89
    24/02/17 5623.17

Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

676Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've had a few replies from people objecting to the term partner. Yet not all couples are married in the modern wor? https://t.co/YRtbLiD96U

• RT @mmhpi: Yesterday we launched our new strategy! Read this introduction by our Founder and Chair @MartinSLewis and Chief Executive @ hele?

• RT @pollymackenzie: I?m so proud to know @MartinSLewis who gets this. Yes: fund services to help people directly, one by one. But the effec?

• Follow Martin