Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scottie_Laker
    • By Scottie_Laker 29th Jul 16, 12:02 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Scottie_Laker
    Debenhams Store Card - PPI Claim
    • 29th Jul 16, 12:02 PM
    Debenhams Store Card - PPI Claim 29th Jul 16 at 12:02 PM
    Hi All,

First ever post but long time lurker I'm afraid!

Just filling in a PPI claim for for a Debenhams store card taken out in 2007 and cancelled in 2015 which had PPI (Account Cover Insurance) included on it for a while.

I have filled in the paperwork and ready to send off, but not very clear as to where this needs to go. During my research, I have found a few possibilities;

- New Day - credit supplier when cancelled
    - Santander - credit supplier for a while
    - GE Capital - credit supplier when I signed up
    - Genworth Financial - underwriter?

Can anyone provide me guidance as to who I should go to first?

Many thanks,

Scottie_Laker
Page 2
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 20,128 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    but lots who have been turned down by Santander may not have noticed this.
    Originally posted by SianeL
    Seems like a non-complaint to me, doubtless the Ombudsman Service will react similarly.
    • vanilla twist
    • By vanilla twist 14th May 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 58,728 Thanks
    vanilla twist
    Hi All, I just wanted to share my experience with you. I read about the Store cards PPI and have previously tried & been unsuccessful in claiming PPI back for my Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins & Evans Store cards, this was in 2013!!

I decided to give it another go as I had been reading a lot of things in the press recently regarding store cards. All of my cards were sold to me in 1995 / 96.

On 20th March 2017 I decided to ring Santander after realising they brought GE Captial Banks out and are responsible for all three of my store cards. The number I rang is their dedicated store card PPI number: 0800 171 2171.

The person I spoke to was helpful and was able (very quickly) to find my account information as I had my old statements with the card numbers on, starting with 6000. She said "it looks like there is something on there!"

I made it clear that I felt I has been mis-sold PPI for the following reasons:
    1) I was just asked to sign a form at the till point and told my card would be with me in 2 weeks.
    2) I was not told about the PPI being added to my account, in fact it was never mentioned.
    3) Subsequently for the next 18 years I was not told PPI was on my account or that it was optional.
    4) When I "purchased" the PPI I was full time employed but lived at home with my parents.
    5) My job gave me 12 months full pay if I were to be sick, then 6 months half pay.
    6) I had a lot of savings because at the time I was saving to purchase my first house and could have cleared any debt immediately if required to do so.
    7) My parents would have bailed me out if I had got into financial difficulty (I was spoilt!!)

So follows Santanders completely baffling processes.......................

I was told all of the investigations would take 8 weeks.

On 25th March (5 days after I made my initial complaint) I received an offer for the mis-sold PPI on my Debenhams store card of................... 13,497.52!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also received two letters from Santander asking for more information regarding my Dorothy Perkins & Evans store cards (I've sent them statements that I still have!!)

So I'm still waiting to hear about my two other store cards but I would strongly suggest that you all get phoning that dedicated store card PPI number: 0800 171 2171.

I have accepted the offer of 13,497.52 and it was credited to my bank account yesterday!! So in total PPI refund received within 9 days from start to finish!!!!

So keep going & good luck!!!

I have my fingers crossed for all of you xxx
    Originally posted by Afrogirl

I phoned the 08001712171 number a few weeks ago as was given it to ring about my cahoot card. Man on phone got up every account and store card I had that was with them back to 1985.
    He told me which ones had ppi on and put in initial complaint for me.
    I had a letter asked for more info about my work status for the period I had held the account. Strangely it only said Evans account. Duely filled in and sent back. Phoned them 3 weeks later as had not heard back and apparently the form I filled in was to cover my River Island card as well?? Would really help if Santander gave you the information about which complaint it was for in their cover letter.
    They had sent out a separate form so I gave answers over the phone on Friday. Form arrived Saturday so filled and sent it back just incase.
    Cover letter does state I had ppi and that it might not have been suitable for me and asks for further work related detail.

Fingers crossed but never expect to get anything due to all negative things I have read.
    If its a no then I will write to Gentworth as at least I have letter stating I had ppi on account.

What I am saying is it is worth a try. The number given sometimes is so busy it doesn't even ring so you have to be patient to get through to an adviser.

Roll on 12th June when my decision is due.

V x
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back
    Originally posted by fairclaire
    May the odds be ever in your favour

SPC 7 Pot No 410 232.63 Total
    • SianeL
    • By SianeL 22nd Nov 17, 5:44 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SianeL
    Complaint upheald by the ombudsman refund on the way
    So glad I didn't take some of the advice given out here!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 22nd Nov 17, 7:55 AM
    • 20,128 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Complaint upheald by the ombudsman refund on the way
    So glad I didn't take some of the advice given out here!
    So you will receive a refund despite no actual evidence of paying any PPI?
    Phoned AXA 10th May and they confirmed that Santander had also informed them that ppi was not on the account.
    So on what basis has the Ombudsman upheld your complaint? The Agreement didn't show that you actually paid any PPI? How are you to receive a refund without evidence that you paid anything?
    • Kelsa
    • By Kelsa 2nd Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kelsa
    Debenhams ppi
    Thanks for sharing the phone number. I submitted a ppi complaint via resolver early in January did not get a reply, just rung Santander they did not receive my complaint but have logged one for me now and opened my case. I should receive a letter within 14 days. I did not get a satisfactory answer when I said the complaint was logged nearly 2 months ago. I wait in anticipation!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 17,804 Thanks
    zx81
    I did not get a satisfactory answer when I said the complaint was logged nearly 2 months ago.
    Originally posted by Kelsa
    You need to ask Resolver that, not Santander.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 20,128 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I did not get a satisfactory answer when I said the complaint was logged nearly 2 months ago. I wait in anticipation!
    Originally posted by Kelsa
    Any additional complaint that your complaint was not received should really be going to Resolver.

However, it is just one of many such reports.

Why use any third party, even a "free" one?

This thread is from 2016.
    • themissus_123
    • By themissus_123 20th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    themissus_123
    Hi, I'm hoping someone on here can help me? Earlier this year I contacted a PPI company to see if I had been misold PPI on a Debenhams card which I took out when I was 19 and had this for over 20 years. About a week after contacting the PPI company to look into this I saw a post and a link on here about contacting Santander direct as they had taken over GE Capital so I did contact them. They replied and confirmed I had PPI so I used one of your template letters. I spoke to the PPI claims company saying I was going to do this by myself and the very young girl on the end of the phone said this was fine. However I continued to get messages from them saying they were still dealing with my claim. Despite me sending letters and making phonecalls to Santander direct and independently. On Friday I spoke to Santander direct where they confirmed my claim had been successful and they were sending me through the paperwork and would be issueing me with a payment for 7500. Yesterday I had a message from the PPI company saying my claim was successful and Santander were making a payment to me for 7500 but I had to pay them 35% commission plus VAT (42%). Can someone please let me know where I stand as I also contacted Santander independently and called them almost weekly to see what was happening, do I still have to pay the PPI company after my telephone conversation with one of their staff said I could continue the claim on my own? Can anyone please help me? I'm not looking to get out of paying but I went out of my way to deal with Santander direct and I have the correspondence from them confirming my independent claim...

This is my first every post on MSE forum so apols if I doing something wrong.....
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 20,128 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    do I still have to pay the PPI company after my telephone conversation with one of their staff said I could continue the claim on my own?
    Originally posted by themissus_123
    Forget any "advice" you allegedly received from a "young girl" on the telephone, if you've signed a legally-binding contract with the claims company you'll have to pay them.

Have you signed such a contract?
    • lesleyp118
    • By lesleyp118 11th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lesleyp118
    Debenhams StoreCard PPI
    I'm wondering if I've missed the boat on a Debenhams PPI claim. I had a storecard for several years, which I closed in 2010. I have no records of when I opened it, but I did remember it was with GE Capital at the time, then was transferred to Santander and became a credit card. The record I have is of a Santander account number shortly before I closed the account. I remember being told at some stage during the holding of the card that a regular monthly payment appearing on the statement was mandatory and could not be removed - I now assume that to be PPI which is why I thought I should try to make a claim.
    I went through the Resolver tool which advised me that NewDay had now taken over the Debenhams accounts, so that is where my claim was sent. NewDay responded advising that as the account was opened before April 2014, Santander is responsible.
    So, I used Resolver again, and wrote to Santander with a request for information as to whether I paid PPI on that account (maybe I should have just made a claim?). Guess what? They told me that it is no longer a Santander account number and I need to contact NewDay - arg! Catch 22
    Any suggestions as to where I go from here? I'm sure I won't get a massive amount if any claim is eventually successful, but it's the principle now that I've considered it.
    Thanks for any suggestions or anyone been in this position? Or did you all claim before NewDay got involved?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 17,804 Thanks
    zx81
    Stop using Resolver and stop making claims.

Send a complaint directly to Santander.
    • lesleyp118
    • By lesleyp118 12th Apr 18, 12:32 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lesleyp118
    Stop using Resolver and stop making claims.

Send a complaint directly to Santander.
    Originally posted by zx81
    OK, thanks for your direct response. At the risk of making myself look even more vague, is there any template for making a complaint as opposed to a claim? (that was one of the reasons for using Resolver in the first place). Thank you
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Apr 18, 5:35 AM
    • 16,792 Posts
    • 17,804 Thanks
    zx81
    Templates here.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#resolver

But better to simply write your own letter with your complaint reasons.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    OK, thanks for your direct response. At the risk of making myself look even more vague, is there any template for making a complaint as opposed to a claim? (that was one of the reasons for using Resolver in the first place). Thank you
    Originally posted by lesleyp118
    A claim is what you do when you have an incident that needs the policy to pay out. It implies you are owed money or you just ask for it back which is incorrect. You are complaining it was miss-sold to you, this is different as you need to show why it was miss-sold and ask them to decide if you are due a refund of the policy or not.
    • GAmbrose
    • By GAmbrose 12th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GAmbrose
    Hoping for some advice here.

I had a Debenhams store card in 1987 that had PPI. I cancelled in 2012. I don't have any statements or account numbers, sadly but I checked my Credit history and have the following:

Entry Number
    Account Start date
    Credit Limit
    Settlement date

Who do I need to approach to complain about being mis-sold PPI? It indicates that Newday Ltd were in charge but this forum suggests going direct to Santander?

Unfortunately the Resolver requires account numbers.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Apr 18, 11:25 AM
    • 15,593 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    antrobus
    Who do I need to approach to complain about being mis-sold PPI? It indicates that Newday Ltd were in charge but this forum suggests going direct to Santander?
    Originally posted by GAmbrose

Santander
    https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/contact-debenhams-store-card
    • GAmbrose
    • By GAmbrose 8th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GAmbrose
    Further to the earlier post, Santander have written to me with 4 different account numbers and all of them state 'No PPI'

What happened on the Debenhams store cared though if that it was taken out in 1987 and it had PPI on it. Eventually we realised and cancelled PPI in the mid noughties (around 2005)

So when they check the history they will see there was no PPI when the account was closed in 2012, but there was PPI that we were mis-sold and paying for many years before this.

What's my next step?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th May 18, 2:42 PM
    • 20,128 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    So when they check the history they will see there was no PPI when the account was closed in 2012, but there was PPI that we were mis-sold and paying for many years before this.

What's my next step?
    Either provide your own evidence to the bank that there was PPI or you give up. Sorry.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Further to the earlier post, Santander have written to me with 4 different account numbers and all of them state 'No PPI'

What happened on the Debenhams store cared though if that it was taken out in 1987 and it had PPI on it. Eventually we realised and cancelled PPI in the mid noughties (around 2005)

What's my next step?
    Cancelling the policy would trigger the 3 year time bar anyway so you wouldn't have got anywhere anyway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,755Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin