Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 27th Jul 16, 10:00 AM
    • 1,223Posts
    • 4,625Thanks
    debtaghh
    I want to stop drowning
    • 27th Jul 16, 10:00 AM
    I want to stop drowning 27th Jul 16 at 10:00 AM
    Hi,

I am not sure where to start or what I want from this but here goes ...

We are in major debt and things seem to be getting worse, I have been looking at this site for years and know there is no point me posting my soa as we literally can't cut back any more e.g

food shop for fam of 5 240- if you can help me reduce this then that would be great. I shop at Aldi, Lidl etc and have most shops locally.
    We just got rid of sky and have reduced mobiles, gas etc.

We can't do an iva or dmp etc as we are in rented accomadation and I know estate agents can use guarantors etc but we don't have one plus they are not that keen as I have mentioned it before to them. Where we live , it's really hard to rent as there are limited properties and having bad credit would just go against us which we really can't do.

Our biggest issues are that I do things that I end up regretting e.g booking holidays in the uk which still add up, book parties for the kids etc. I don't know how we got into so much debt but assume it must be down to this and i've never been on a good salary. My business has been hit badly and never recovered. I'm currently looking for a part time job but can't see this happening soon as I need it to be enough salary to cover childcare for my baby. My husband is on a good salary but works shifts which means I can't rely on him for childcare help and we don't have any family that can help us. I've tried working for direct selling companies and sell things on music magpie, ebay and gumtree ( I literally have nothing else to sell). I use cashbaack sites too and did do surverys but never seem to be eligible but will stary back with that- any recommendations for good ones? Or any ideas of making more money from home?

We are due to go away soon and I would love to have advice on how we can save money on food whilst staying at a hotel, I thought I will bring snacks from home and croissants, drink cartons for breakfast but don't want to be speending loads on lunch and dinners.

I also feel pressure from my family when it comes to birthdays and christmas time with regards to buying expensive pressies. We have a holiday booked at christmas too ( I know not ideal).

I supoose I'm writng this to start afresh as I can't carry on like this anymore. I am severly depressed and wake up exhausted every day and have no motivation to do anything. I feel like we are drowing in debt. I am currently receiving cbt but in all honesty the crux of the situation is the debt is the issue. I'm sick of having regrets and living life like this so fingers crossed to new me, it' going to take years but here goes.....
Page 56
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 25th Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I listed numerous items last night, I thought a clear out will be good financially and for the move. Any sale money I get now until the 20th should be able to go direct into the savings as long as I'm disciplined!

My income drops dramatically over the summer months so on top of normal savings it will be nice to have a buffer plus I can't forget the shortfall each month I will start to have next month ( I have to check exactly how much that will be).
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc 49,987- family 37,561: total debt 87549

Current debt: Cc 44,810 , Family 39,417 total debt 84,227

Frugal living challenge # 10- 8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 25th Feb 18, 7:48 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Hope you manage to clear a lot through sales. Less stuff to move too.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 27th Feb 18, 5:51 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I had a nsd yesterday and am planning to not spend until March!

I've made a few small sales , one is an item I listed the other day for my clear out.

We were meant to view a property the other day but it went within 4 hours of going live!

Frugal living challenge # 10- 8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 1st Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I managed my nsds for the rest of Feb. I need to work out how much I spent on food in the end but know it's far too much!

I've made some more sales from my clearout goods.

I have been feeling deflated lately so need to pick myself up as it's too easy for me to just feel sorry for myself which does me no good. I let things get to me too much and need to really change.

New month, fresh start hopefully!

• debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 2nd Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I worked out that we spent over 440 on food in Feb which is awful. I did so well in January but I wonder if that's because I had a full freezer and cupboards from Xmas. I also had some gift cards. I start to wonder how much is enough for a family of 5. The above amount includes call toiletries and nappies. Maybe I'm being unrealistic with how little we should spend. I do think over 400 is excessive, I'm going to monitor March closely and aim for around the 300 mark.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    440 does sound a lot but it is easy to overspend in that area. You are 3 adults and nappies bump it up too. Maybe aim for 350? I think 300 would be a struggle. Have you done a new soa with ne minimums on cards and council tax over 12 instead of 10 months?

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 2nd Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    440 does sound a lot but it is easy to overspend in that area. You are 3 adults and nappies bump it up too. Maybe aim for 350? I think 300 would be a struggle. Have you done a new soa with ne minimums on cards and council tax over 12 instead of 10 months?
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    I agree and think 350 is a realistic amount.

Yes I have updated my soa and included 350 and reduced Council tax ( we haven't had our new bill though). And we are showing a shortfall of 181 but this doesn't include any overtime for my dh or any earnings from me.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Any joy on the house hunting or are you leaving it closer to June before you start looking seriously?

• debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 2nd Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    No joy what so ever. We were meant to see a property that came up yesterday and within two hours it had gone!

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 2nd Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Goodness that was quick. High demand obviously.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 10,844 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Was going to ask about houses but you have answered my question. Some areas seem to be very popular , near me things can go in a day.

350 sounds achievable for the food shop.

Have a good day.
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 5th Mar 18, 7:09 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

First thing is I'm officially on a diet, I've managed to put on half a stone in 3 weeks!!!! No more excuses, I will lose weight and I will save money!

Aim by end of March:

-Lose half a stone that I have put on therefore be what I was when I lost lost the weight over a year ago.

- have 3000 in savings

- cc debt to be under 45k

No pressure for me there!

• debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Mar 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Morning,

I did well yesterday and stuck to my reduced calories and had a nsd! Today will be different as I need to go food shopping and am meeting a friend. My dh did some unexpected overtime yesterday so that will be 40 extra in March or April's pay. His work is getting busier so I think there may be more overtime opportunities which will be good financially.

Have a lovely frugal day.

• shreya
    • By shreya 6th Mar 18, 7:25 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    shreya
    I would suggest that you seriously take a step back since you are drowning in debt. Just reassess your life man. Your situation is worse than what mine was a few years ago
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Mar 18, 7:58 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would suggest that you seriously take a step back since you are drowning in debt. Just reassess your life man. Your situation is worse than what mine was a few years ago
    Originally posted by shreya
    Unhelpful. This forum is for support and judgement. debtaggh is fully aware of her situation and is trying to get on top of it. You need to read the whole thread to see the journey she is on.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Mar 18, 7:58 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 13,164 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Morning,

I did well yesterday and stuck to my reduced calories and had a nsd! Today will be different as I need to go food shopping and am meeting a friend. My dh did some unexpected overtime yesterday so that will be 40 extra in March or April's pay. His work is getting busier so I think there may be more overtime opportunities which will be good financially.

Have a lovely frugal day.
    Originally posted by debtaghh
    Good news about the overtime. Enjoy your time with your friend.

• Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Originally posted by shreya
    post building?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 6th Mar 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Another good day on the calorie front and I also did lots of steps ( over 20000).
    I spent 100 on the food shop but stocked up on washing up liquid, hand soap etc. My aim is 350 for a month's shop. I'm still writing down every penny I spend.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Mar 18, 6:23 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 10,844 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Well done on all those steps . The comment above is very silly , just ignore , it's your journey and no one else's . The food shop is good for 5 of you .
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 8th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Life feels very manic at the min!

Dh has been given unexpected overtime which is great financially. I have had some unexpected larger value sales. It all adds up!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin