Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    • 3,548Posts
    • 30,506Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day
    • 22nd Jul 16, 10:44 PM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day 22nd Jul 16 at 10:44 PM
    Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
    After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
    So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
    The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
    I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
    Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.
    June Odessy NSD 6/10 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 49
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sleep last night - 3 hours 57 mins. I’m shattered but have been worrying lots about naughty tortie. I was very sad dropping her off at the vet this morning. Still 2 hours until I can phone for an update as well.
    Busy day today - hairdressers, vet, cleaning. I’ll check in later x
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 2nd Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Having pets can be such a nightmare. I hope Naughty Tortie is ok.

Big hugs XXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 3rd Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    A belated merry christmas and happy new year!! I hope you had a good one.

I'm still catching up after struggling with the flu as of late, but how's things?

How'd the cat get on?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Sallyforth
    • By Sallyforth 3rd Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Sallyforth
    Please let us know how NT got on. Having cats myself I understand and none of mine are insured.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 3rd Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 25,223 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    (((CCL))) So sorry to read about your cousin. I hope the funeral goes as well as it can do.

Hope Naughty Tortie is ok and the results are good news.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 17 for June
    NSD - 8/20
    (up to 16/6/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 4th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 975 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi CCL, sorry to hear of your bereavement and also the news regarding naughty tortie, have followed her exploits for some time on here, and know the feeling of having pets that set you back financially. We pet owners always say a pet is part of the family and it's so true. I hope all goes well.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £1117/£1000 EF £538 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi all
    Sorry I didn't get back on. Being nursemaid and skint is stressing me out somewhat. There's good and bad news from the vet. It cost over £700, and I have to wait a week for the histology to come back. However, the vet is 'cautiously optimistic' - she had to remove way less than she thought, plus lymph nodes were all normal and blood tests also all normal. I had a look at the X-rays though - the vet thinks that she may have a calcified gall bladder - it looked as clear as that to me on the pics as well. It's not life threatening but may explain all the digestive problems she's had. Something to look into if and when she's on the mend. Meantime - she's home, in a kitty suit, which is hilarious - she looks like one of those miniature dogs in a jumper. But it's better than the cone of shame and covers her stitches and baldness entirely. She needs oral medication every 8 hours so I'm having to set alarms to get up to do the 3am dose - she is worth it though for sure. I can't understand how people don't get that attached to their pets... She's back in next Tuesday for a check up unless she keeps being her naughty self and manages to get out of the vest again - she keeps sneaking into her litter tray and getting out of it somehow.
    Other than that, things are plodding on. I'm now skint again - that has wiped most of my savings out. Thankfully I have a busy January of exam marking coming up so if I'm frugal and mse I'll get that sorted by the end of the month. Provided that the vet fees don't go up too much more.
    My cousin's funeral is Thursday next week - seems like ages since he died. Officially from pneumonia caused by flu. His funeral is a good 3-4 hour drive each way, but I'm not missing it.
    I can't believe I also haven't mentioned that we have (another) feline addition to the family. A very surprise present from 3 of my Year 11 students. I'm still in a bit of shock from that one to be honest.
    Right, time to get on and stop going on and on about myself as I always seem to be...
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 7th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    My amazing vet rang me yesterday because Naughty Tortie's histology was back and she couldn't wait to tell me that it's good news. A benign tumour! I wasn't much listening to anything else because I was so excited about the fact that she's ok. I'm there on Tuesday so I'll get the full details then. I'm really pleased that she's doing so well - even if we do need to keep a very close eye on her from now on.
    I've just spent the last 2 hours planning and prepping for the week ahead at school. My timetable has changed quite a bit so I'm hoping I can make good use of the couple of extra free hours I've inherited and actually take on my role as assessment lead and do something useful.
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 7th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    I'm so pleased it was good news for tortie.

I'm sorry for your family loss as well.

Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous 2018 x
    Freedom - you've got to give for what you take
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 7th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    lcc86
    Great news about naughty tortie ccl!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £1117/£1000 EF £538 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all

Just making the most of one of my New Year promises to get more time for doing the things I enjoy. One of things I enjoy is being on here so here I am. It doesn't need to be a massive check in every day, just getting back into the habit of getting on and posting and reading what people are up to. I need to be frugal this month - funds are very depleted after Christmas and vets, and I need to get back into the habit of PADding so that I can get back some of my savings.
    First day back at work, and I have a free lesson so I'm saying a quick hello. I'm tired, but I am also fine with being back, which is another huge compliment to my department and the new head here. I don't stress about work nearly as much as I used to.
    Right, I'm going to go and check in on the small things thread and see what everyone has been up to. I'll be back when I can.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well look at this - 2 days in a row! Go me
    Not that I really have anything to report. Got home last night utterly exhausted, had to take ds to his swimming lesson, then spent the evening doing training for some biology stuff. I woke up this morning and for a few blissful seconds my brain thought it was Saturday. Unfortunately I'm only on day 2 back at work - I'm also full of cold already and struggling with a snotty nose and sore throat but I'm going to keep on.
    I decided to book me and ds into a hotel for my cousin's funeral. I was starting to get myself all stressed out about journey planning for 200 miles and what time to leave, trying not to get there too early but not to be late etc. I decided that £48 for the 2 of us including breakfast was a good spend, so I've taken it out of savings and I'm going to add it onto my target for the vet fund. I'm aiming for a PAD so that I can get savings built up again. So ds and I will leave after rush hour tomorrow evening, drive the 200 miles, sleep and get to the funeral at a reasonable time.

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Ah I hate it when the brain plays tricks on us, giving us false hope! The weekend will be here before you know it.

Seems well worth the £48 for a bit of piece of mind and you can take your time with things. When is it?
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi all
    Took me a little while to recover from the funeral, which is why it's been a few days this time. I was really busy at work on Wednesday sorting out the cover for my day off on Thursday for the funeral. So, by the time I got home from work on Wednesday evening I had literally half an hour to get me and ds ready to go 'down south' and we headed off just after half six. We made brilliant time until we were sent on a 25 mile detour where the A1 was closed for overnight roadworks. It was after 11pm by the time we got to the hotel. Thankfully we could have a lie in the next morning, and we both had a good night's sleep. I was somewhat horrified to discover that ds thought he would be going to the funeral in a pair of shorts that are 2 sizes too small for him, so had an emergency trip to Mr A to buy some clothes that actually fit. The funeral was beautiful, as far as funerals can be - and it was a real celebration of my cousin's life. There were so many people there and some really touching and funny stories that people shared as well. I know that it's time to move on and get on with life now, but I'm still incredibly shocked and can't quite believe that he's not here any more. It was also lovely to see my family again as well - we're pretty far flung and it's not very often at all that we're all together. Shame that it had to be under those circumstances though.
    We drove back home Thursday evening and managed to be home just after 8pm. I was shattered and went pretty much straight to bed, then had a full teaching day on Friday. I feel as though I've been chasing my tail all week, and I've had to work 3 hours this afternoon to get ready for next week (and I'm still not totally ready). Never mind though, this one is a short half term so I'm on the countdown already. Plus my timetable is a lot better since the changeover at Christmas in terms of planning and marking load so fingers crossed we might finally be on the up there.
    Right then, I think I'm going to get on with some crochet. It's almost exam marking season and I'll be a busy bunny then so I'm going to do it while I can.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Glad it went well and the idea of staying over was worthwhile it seems.

I know it can often feel like you don't get a breather - particularly after a weekend like yours - but try to keep the chin up high and smash the week ahead!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Speaking of getting a 'breather' - my physical health has deteriorated overnight and during today. I have an awful cough, which is really painful when I breathe, barely any voice and a sore throat. I predict a very early night and hopefully feeling a little bit better tomorrow. Ugh - why is January such a difficult month? Still, at least we're half way through now. Only 15 days until payday (and goodness knows I need that to arrive really soon).
    Not much to report - work is fine, home is the same as always - just some days I can put up with it and others I just want someone to give me a big cuddle and tell me everything will be ok. Thankfully I have the kids and cats because dh isn't any good at all at that sort of stuff.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    chanie
    I hope you get a goofs nights rest and feel better tomorrow.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hope you feel better soon and it's not one of the many flu viruses flying about.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well I think we can safely conclude that I have a chest infection. Ugh. Trouble is that I don't know if it's viral or bacterial, can't get a doctor's appointment and am not keen on sitting at the walk in centre to see a doctor I don't know and be sent away with the advice of having a rest and lots of fluids. Voice has almost completely gone, but I feel ok unless I cough or try to take a really deep breath. I'm going to have another early night tonight and see if rest really helps or not.
    Managed to survive work today and got a reasonable amount done. I came home early though as I just couldn't be bothered after 4pm, plus I had to take naughty tortie back to the vets for another check up. So off we went for that. She had her stitches out, after some struggling, and has been given a clean bill of health (again). I just hope that we can go a few more years without her getting too sick again. I need to replenish the vet fund.
    Not much else to report - general exhaustion and parents evening to look forward to tomorrow night.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 30,506 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi all
    Feeling a bit better - still have the cough from hell and a raging sore throat, but my voice is back. I'm getting through the day with the help of Sudafed and Soothers and feeling almost normal, but I'm very, very tired. I can get through work, and survived parents evening last night, but I just need to sleep as soon as I get home at the moment. It was after 7pm last night.
    Then we woke up to a fair amount of snow this morning. I had to dig my car off the drive, and it was scary getting onto the main roads, but fine once I got there. DD's school was closed, but me and ds were expected in as normal as there was less than a cm of snow there. Dreading the ice tomorrow though...
    Not much to report. Work, tired, ill, skint. Same old really. I'm just about to settle with my crochet and some tv.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

2,627Users online

Martin's Twitter