Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 16th Jul 16, 8:03 PM
    • 3,262Posts
    • 13,291Thanks
    *Robin*
    Blowing in the Winds of Change
    • 16th Jul 16, 8:03 PM
    Blowing in the Winds of Change 16th Jul 16 at 8:03 PM
    A brace of raptors soaring in the breeze over the Nest just after dawn on Solstice morning gifted me the title of this, my reprise into MSE's Diary-world.

I'd had little sleep. Partly because, well, Solstice is a special day and the night had been filled with memories of happier years, and partly because it seemed that my faithful companion was rushing towards The Light, her paws galloping in the air as she dreamed contentedly beside me.
    I was exhausted. Fear of what might come to pass if my dear girl's last, eternal bed had not been prepared before she was ready to cross Rainbow Bridge loaned me energy I could not afford; each day a single bucket of stony earth was added to a pile beside the chosen resting place.
    Dear Vet had nothing more to offer beyond comforting words and her promise to attend should the need arise, any time day or night.

DS1 rescued me. He called to offer salutations not long after sunrise; apparently I was making no sense at all on the 'phone which led to a prompt visit - tools in hand - and the job was completed before the day's end.
    Bless him.

Although resigned to the inevitable at that point, Clever Dog was not in pain so I decided to delay departure from the Nest until she had no more need of my staying. Her behaviour in the van suggested she would not welcome another long distance adventure and obviously, I did not wish to cause her any distress during her last days in this realm.** Despite Divo Four and Dear Relative's increasingly urgent requests for my presence at homehome, the weeks passed and each day the mercury in the thermometer rose higher.

Meanwhile I have not been paying attention to financial matters since giving up m' previous diary: A bank card expired so I could no longer check that account. The gizmo for signing into another stopped working, but CD and I have been living comfortably on our £400 per month allowance - half of it spent on her medications and the best diet, another £50 on storage for the camper-van, and the rest - well I can't really remember, but there always seemed to be funds left in our 'daily' account when it came time to turn another page on the calendar.

There's nothing praise-worthy about that though; it's easy to rack up NSDs when one has no energy to go out except on essential missions, and there's a plentiful supply of veg in the garden (mostly planted for me by a couple of winter visitors).
    "Garden" is perhaps no longer the right description for the wilderness which surrounds the Nest; I have not had the strength to undo Ex-Gardener's neglect (I forgave him, vastly overpaid him, but he lied and then stole from me so there was no choice but to terminate his employment, alas. I still feel very sad about that ending).

Eventually DS4 lost patience. He 'phoned with two pieces of wonderful news: A double-first [justifying his decision to rack up a relatively modest student loan], and notification of his imminent arrival!

We brushed the spiders gently out of camper-van, and went for a trial night away locally. CD amazed me; apparently quite happy to travel and potter about when we stopped. Maybe her vocal objections to being in the other van [**] were due to the fact that most of her trips out this year have ended at DV's clinic, being prodded, poked and stabbed (for blood tests)?

Plumber put on his Mechanic's hat to check camper-van's travel worthiness, resulting in a trip to the garage for a little preventative maintenance and a service - which wiped out all the cash saved by living parsimoniously over the last six months. Plumber was incandescent at the size of the bill when he saw they'd replaced some good parts while failing to fix the actual fault; must say communication between the booking-in chap and mechanic was appalling, especially given that this was at the regional main dealer.
    <sigh> Not very MSE but I just wanted to get out of there so paid up (after they replaced the faulty bearing!). Oh well.

The thought of driving all the way to the Chunnel filled me with trepidation - just don't have enough strength for such sustained effort these days, and DS4 hasn't held a full licence for long enough to be covered by insurance abroad.
    So I called the ferry company. Usually, pet-friendly cabins are booked up half a year in advance, but CD is still remembered (it's partly due to her Houdini behaviour in bygone days that pet-friendly cabins were introduced).
    Result: They found us a cabin on next week's boat!

Now I am [supposed to be] packing. Camper-van is parked in the village; CD and I slept there last night, and I started this diary to help m' poor-ol' brain-fogged mind keep track.
    The acquaintance who outed me at the beginning of the year has not been in touch since, although half a dozen RL mates around the World did express their regret that I'd given up my first MSE diary. So much for anonymity - have decided I really don't care, because the support of all you MSEers is of inestimable value..
    Last edited by *Robin*; 29-07-2016 at 1:20 PM.
Page 19
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 12th Jan 18, 7:57 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Morning Robin - just caught up on your alarms and excursions - sounds like a bit of weather is going on! Meaning shoes are definitely a gift from the weather gods !!!128166;!!!127784;!!!10052;!!!65039;. Lurcher lad is curious to know - what is a puppy park?! He knows about parks (places with lots of things to sniff and pee on) and puppies ( little annoying things that either roll over and make you sniff their tummies, or bounce in your face and need a loud telling off) but the two together is an unknown concept. He wonders if itís a bit like a beach?!
    Good on vet for looking into the effect of things vets donít prescribe. No comment on the gas shenanigans- suffice to say dd never sorted her European gas supply having encountered very similar levels of non-support !!!9785;!!!65039; Van gas remains on uk connector and water is boiled on a rocket stove. Glad youíre safely back at the cottages hope you and M have a lovely day x
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ooh good news on the Ä50 and shoes

Not so good on the gas front though
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 17th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello MSE World,

Morning Robin
    Originally posted by Dansmam
    'Morning Dansmam,

just caught up on your alarms and excursions - sounds like a bit of weather is going on! Meaning shoes are definitely a gift from the weather gods
    It's been the best type of rain so far; not so much a deluge that water just runs straight off the surface into the rivers and lost at sea - often carrying precious fertile topsoil with it - but gentler and more persistent, soaking into the grateful land. Amazing.

Lurcher lad is curious to know - what is a puppy park?! He knows about parks (places with lots of things to sniff and pee on) and puppies ( little annoying things that either roll over and make you sniff their tummies, or bounce in your face and need a loud telling off) but the two together is an unknown concept. He wonders if it!!!8217;s a bit like a beach?!
    Rowf! Puppy park is fun, Lurcher Lad, is good. Special guarded place in town just for pups - young and growed-up. Huge running space free, lots of sniffing places and marking places and water places and also people games* and bestist - lots of new pups to play with! People bring pups from all over for safe running so always find new big energy fast mates there. Also old wobbly cuddly pups get lots of love from all pups' peoples, baby pups get exploring World with other babies - not lonely for first paw-family so much.
    Is my favourite place 'specially when Mistress puts moving-home by gate - then know soon am getting lots of running playing all day and probably tomorrow too. Much better than beach.

* Agility equipment.

Good on vet for looking into the effect of things vets don!!!8217;t prescribe.
    Yes, DV is very enlightened in that way - she is genuinely interested in "alternatives" which is a wonderfully refreshing viewpoint to find in an allopathic trained vet (or doctor!). Well worth the long drive to work with her.

No comment on the gas shenanigans- suffice to say dd never sorted her European gas supply having encountered very similar levels of non-support !!!9785;!!!65039; Van gas remains on uk connector and water is boiled on a rocket stove.
    Ah, following extensive research I may possibly have come across a solution. Will let you know next week; ordered - at vast expense - a piece of kit which purports to facilitate connection between van's fixed UK system and local bottles. We'll see.

Glad you!!!8217;re safely back at the cottages hope you and M have a lovely day x
    Am getting used to being here without DH. It is finally time to accept his absence, while appreciating the things he loved about this little village - all his life he was restless, but here he said he felt 'at home' which, I've realised, is now important to me.

Lots of Spanish part-time neighbours turned up at the weekend; it was a big moment for the local organic avocado co-op to which they all belong - several chilled containers to fill, destined for up-market German and French clients. Over three intense days the orchards have been harvested by extended families working together, so the village has been filled with chatter and laughter from first light.
    Musketeer got a lot of attention. In UK eyes he's just a misbegotten mutt, but Andalusian farmers see a handsome young hound bred to guard, to hunt.. I was questioned closely about the boar sign M shows me every day, and told he needs a kennel near the houses so that he can do his job properly. Of course that also involves spending his days on a chain and nights running loose - so ain't going to happen while he's in my care.
    The piggies are definitely still hiding in the ravine, emerging at night to feast on fallen avocados, carobs, olives and acorns. Have realised the locals quietly intend to leave them to fatten up for now - but Daddy boar will have to watch out during the last couple of weeks of the hunting season - they have plans for him!

Ooh good news on the !!!8364;50 and shoes

Not so good on the gas front though
    by Sun Addict
    Hello Sun.A,
    Yes that 50!!!8364; note made a big difference to getting through this month, although I have also accepted the charge of looking after DS3's Summer-getting-to-work fund, which helps me out and means he can't be tempted to blow it while on holiday. They've installed a house-sitter to look after GrandPup and the gardens; a lovely keen young man who hopefully will be coming to work in the garden here too. Have decided my asparagus plantation and most precious young trees which are small enough to transplant will have to come here, as I have not yet found anywhere else to start a new project.
    So far nobody has called about those shoes, although they are actually a little large for me so having been cleaned they are in reserve, for now.
    Keeping fingers crossed re solution to gas problem - but the young lady who took my order was full of confidence, so last night I splurged some of my precious limited supply on cooking a medley of veg for dinner. Really enjoyed not having salad, for a change!
    Last edited by *Robin*; 17-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 2nd Feb 18, 1:43 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello Diary World,

Have popped in a few times since posting last, but found it very hard to cope with all the "Just sorted my tax return" posts when I hadn't, so resolved that job must be done before I would allow m'self another waffling session here..
    Thanks to Friendly Accountant the object was achieved in time to avoid another fine, but paying HMRC's bill has increased my overdraft. Oh well.

The Divos are now all but one heading East, with friends, on a mission to fulfil Ex's last wish by scattering his ashes in the Ganges. In some ways I'd liked to have joined them, but it wasn't realistic given the time it would take me to recover from such long flights - and now turns out the location picked for this solemn undertaking is rather seedy, very mucky, and full of sick people hoping for a cure from whatever ails them.
    Am enjoying seeing the 'photos the lads are sending back, though.

Still waiting for m' gas adaptor to arrive so have turned the 5 - 2 diet on it's head in an attempt to eke out the last of my UK bottle (it made it to the end of the month, yay!). Twice a week I steam as much as I can on one ring, and the rest of the time graze on food that can be eaten raw, along with cold cooked potatoes and veg.
    Does mean am not able to move location much, as would be completely stuffed without an electric kettle for making tea - which requires a mains hook-up, of course.
    On the plus side there's nothing to spend money on in the campo.

Musketeer is still enthusiastically tracking "our" wild boar family. They are getting very brave at night - a couple of times I've had to drag M back to the van when it became clear that the piggies were nearby. Daddy Boar is huge - have caught sight of him in the orchards - really don't want him to feel provoked into chasing us!

That's about it. Not achieving anything much, but am enjoying the weather, birdsong and bees - a wild colony has moved into an abandoned hive behind the village. They were quite nervous at first but seem to be settling down now.
    Last edited by *Robin*; 04-02-2018 at 6:19 PM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 2nd Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    OMG - hope you don't get chased by wild boar

Weather etc sounds fab - I do love bees
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 3rd Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 869 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    The boar sounds enormous!! I only did my tax return on the 31st.. must try harder with the current year

I hope the adaptor works when it arrives. I do hope you're eating enough, I'm not convinced that you are..
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £16208 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 4th Feb 18, 4:58 AM
    • 7,762 Posts
    • 18,042 Thanks
    chevalier
    my OH did his with four hours to go rolls eyes!.

glad to hear that things are a bit of an even keel now. I am a bit confused though as to why you haven't gone back up to the Nest, did it get damaged in a storm?
    cheers
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 4th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello Sun.A,

OMG - hope you don't get chased by wild boar

Weather etc sounds fab - I do love bees
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Yes, I share your wish that Big Piggie doesn't chase us - had such an encounter many years ago which taught me how tenacious wild boar are, and know very well that there's absolutely no way I could run a kilometre now, let alone faster than an adult boar!

Weather is pretty changeable tbh; tops are still snow-covered so there's that sharp tang in the air, and lower down rain seems to be falling most nights - Dour Neighbour set up his telescope but we missed the full Moon due to finding ourselves in the middle of a wet cloud. Ah well.

Hello Stepup,

The boar sounds enormous!! I only did my tax return on the 31st.. must try harder with the current year

I hope the adaptor works when it arrives. I do hope you're eating enough, I'm not convinced that you are..
    by stepuptothepl8
    Oh, Daddy Pig is as big as they get I think, armoured with a wicked-looking set of tusks!

I paid HMRC two days before the deadline this time - felt stupidly pleased with m'self (despite the daily overdraft fees going up because of it). Apparently Divo Four has put back the funds he borrowed, but I haven't touched them [yet!] - still have a solicitor's bill to pay which will swallow the lot, and more.

Still waiting for my parcel [gas adaptor] but have acquired a single ring camping cooker for tea-making away from base.
    You may be right about my food intake, but don't worry; it would do me good to lose ten kilos so a bit longer on short rations won't cause any harm.

Divo Three's house-sitter has had enough of GrandPup's bad habits, so this afternoon Musketeer and I collected him and came down to the beach. Pup is overjoyed, and has been perfectly behaved ever since he realised he would be staying with us. His bed is rather an obstacle as it fills the gap between van's kitchen and bathroom, but am sure I can manage not to trip over it.

Hello Chev,

my OH did his with four hours to go rolls eyes!.

glad to hear that things are a bit of an even keel now. I am a bit confused though as to why you haven't gone back up to the Nest, did it get damaged in a storm?
    by chevalier
    Ha - I beat your OH on his tax return then!

Reasons for not moving back into the Nest:
    1. It will be a terrible wrench selling as it is, without increasing the angst by living there again beforehand.
    2. I simply do not have enough strength to physically shift everything from van to house.
    3. In a house, I'd have to saw and carry firewood - again quite beyond my energy levels at the moment. The van is well insulated so even without the luxury of gas heating [at the moment] it's much easier to be comfortable.
    4. Safety. As all the Divos are currently otherwise engaged, it could be quite a long while before anyone noticed if I tripped over the steps or slipped on one of the steeper garden paths.. It would be foolish to risk it for m' boys' sake as well as my own (don't fancy stepping off this mortal coil due to hypothermia or a cracked skull - the sort of accident the Divos would have trouble getting over. Do feel a responsibility not to blight the rest of their lives now I'm the only parent).

It's raining again. Think an early night is on the cards..
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good to hear from you Robin. What are grandpup's bad habits that the house-sitter didn't like? Sounds like he prefers to be with you and M anyway I bet he has way more fun
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 5th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Morning Robin - I think you!!!8217;re very wise to avoid Big Pig, slips trips falls and hypothermia !!!55357;!!!56841;. Fingers crossed for the gas adapter when it arrives. 2 dogs !!!55357;!!!56341; !!!55357;!!!56341; must be better than one and will keep you snug in the van. I hope grandpup has no bad habits you can!!!8217;t put up with, also hope he doesn!!!8217;t teach M any of them. Have a lovely day x
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 5th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello Sun.A,

Good to hear from you Robin. What are grandpup's bad habits that the house-sitter didn't like? Sounds like he prefers to be with you and M anyway I bet he has way more fun
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    GrandPup runs away from House-sitter, has no recall at all with him and yesterday morning was spotted more than a kilometre from home on the wrong side of the main road! Which is against Spanish Law as well as being dangerous.
    He's been escaping from the back yard and / or trashing the house when left alone, and I think the guy is just fed up with the responses he gets when he does take GrandPup out with him - many folk are wary of Staffie-type dogs. House-sitter's own pup is a very cute, elderly KC.Spaniel x Collie who does have the most adorable face and long wavy fur which hangs down either side of her flanks like fringes.. So he's used to people coming up and cooing over her, whereas when they see GrandPup's black bullet-head and his intense gaze staring at them, folk who don't know he's actually got a sweet nature tend to cross the road to avoid him.

Have to say that at the moment GrandPup is behaving very much better than Musketeer - was obliged to remove M from the puppy-park just now because he was bullying a JRT, and he ignored me calling him away from it!

Anyway, DS3 & GGF are very relieved GrandPup is now with us, so hopefully they can enjoy the rest of their holiday without worrying about him. Three had a grumble because House-sitter has been paid to care for GrandPup, but it's not really the chap's fault that he and the dog aren't getting on.

Hello Dansmam,

Morning Robin - I think you!!!8217;re very wise to avoid Big Pig, slips trips falls and hypothermia !!!55357;!!!56841;. Fingers crossed for the gas adapter when it arrives. 2 dogs !!!55357;!!!56341; !!!55357;!!!56341; must be better than one and will keep you snug in the van. I hope grandpup has no bad habits you can!!!8217;t put up with, also hope he doesn!!!8217;t teach M any of them. Have a lovely day x
    by Dansmam
    Haha - bet you've got a ruddy App!e product! See site feedback - lots of iph0nes are playing up today.
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 5th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 8,426 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Just popping in to say hello Robin
    Don't blame you for avoiding all the tax return period! I do the same avoiding all the mums at school at exam time
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 6th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello MSEers,

Oh dear, Muggins was in a funny mood yesterday..
    Sorry Dansmam, and everyone.

Didn't mean Musketeer was ejected by the park guardian; I took him out because he was close to going over threshold - getting too excited and forgetting the rules..

An on-lead walk along the beach was a delightful way to enjoy sunset at the end of a beautiful, warm sunny day.
    It was a bit manic chaotic more speedy than was quite comfortable tbh, because M and G haven't walked together for a while and I made the mistake of trying a new lead configuration. G desperately needs a new harness, but is still growing and is a shape which has no cheap economical commercial options..
    £60 for something that will last three months if it survives Mister Extreme-Chewer's jaws during moments of boredom?
    ..Don't think so - might see if I can modify one of the other old harnesses for him.

When we rolled up last night, there were already twenty nine other vans parked on the fairground, behind the beach. It's a huge space so everyone had plenty of room, but we ended up at the town end which I usually avoid.

Just lost the whole of the second half of this post:
    "MoneySavingExpert took too long to reply" so let's press submit before the first half vanishes into the cyberdoldrums too!
    Last edited by *Robin*; 06-02-2018 at 5:13 PM.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 6th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 9,653 Posts
    • 121,957 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I'm glad you have a warm sunny day' it is freezing here!
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -10 so far and counting!!
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 6th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Hi Robin - looks as though you!!!8217;ve beaten the cyberdoldrums. I!!!8217;ll borrow that word if I may! You are right - it!!!8217;s a ruddy Apple product. I was trying to include some rather good dog emojis I!!!8217;ve grown fond of. Picked the wrong day for it! No apology required - I rather resent being in thrall to the Apple monster so emoji-gate is my just desserts. There may be an unintended pun in there...Chilly as heck here - hope you!!!8217;re beautifully snug with the dogs in the van x
    Edited to apologise for unwisely continuing to put !!!8216; apostrophes where they traditionally should be
    Last edited by Dansmam; 06-02-2018 at 8:44 PM. Reason: Ruddy apple product
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 11th Feb 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello MSE People,

Just popping in to say hello Robin
    Don't blame you for avoiding all the tax return period! I do the same avoiding all the mums at school at exam time
    Originally posted by NoOneAround
    Oh gosh - yes, ha that's one period of m' life am rather quite glad is over, NOA.

I'm glad you have a warm sunny day' it is freezing here!
    by kazwookie
    Kazwookie, Am sorry, I only mentioned the weather because it was such an unseasonably fine day for February. Was not intending to appear boastful of m' situation - would it be better if I didn't refer to such things? Of course for me, spending winters in a warmer climate is a form of self-preservation. When it's below freezing all my symptoms are exacerbated - effectively I become completely brain-fogged and bed-bound which is to be avoided given that I don't have a team of carers.. Yes, it's a disadvantage of not claiming disability benefits, but on the other hand if I did claim, leaving the country in order to keep as well as possible would not be permitted. It's a very unfair trap, and I do realise how lucky I am to have the choice.

Dansmam - not going to quote your last post! iph0ne emojis don't seem to appear on non-App!e technology anyway though, so I'll never see the pictures you wanted to show us..

Am still waiting for the gas connector pipe - now know that it was sent via RM who use a hopeless courier in Spain; one that never delivers outside city limits. The postage fee was more than the most expensive reliable courier charges, so it didn't occur to me to check the company who sold me the thing were not using RM.. I now know they bumped up the p&p to increase their own profits. <sigh>

On our final day at the beach I broke m' run of NSDs by indulging in lunch at a restaurant; yummy fried Camembert and salad which I really enjoyed (£8.00 including a glass of fresh orange juice).
    Stopped to pick up supplies on the way back to DH's cottages; £45 in the supermarket and £70 on dog food and a new Serest0 collar for GrandPup. It's been a bit of a shock how much the dog meat bill has increased now am feeding G as well - he eats more than double the amount which keeps Musketeer happy!

Since then it's been a spendy time; turned out I couldn't modify any of the old harnesses for G so ordered him an adult one which I can adjust to fit. Realised CD's old lead was at the point of breaking so added a new one to my River list, and then decided a couple of extra enrichment toys would also be a good idea - designed for extreme chewers which hopefully will stop G destroying M's expensive K9 c0nnectables (G's set that I gave him after his accident have long since gone in the bin). Total bill £102. <gulp>

Then the house insurances came up for renewal: Buildings, contents, landlords, emergency and legal cover - £650 for both UK properties. <gulp again>

So that's me broke once more after propping up the bills account here. Situation normal, lol!
    Last edited by *Robin*; 13-02-2018 at 2:17 PM.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 8,794 Posts
    • 51,400 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Keep telling us about the sun - I long for the days it arrives (and stays!) here. That said, I managed to get my bedding dried less damp outside today . First time this year Iíve pegged out, as it was bright and breezy.

Camembert sounds delicious Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 26/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 37,459 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad grandpup is safely back with you Robin. At least you know how to handle him and he'll be well looked after. He sounds like the canine equivalent of my grandson
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 10th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 13,291 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello MSE Moneysavers,

Gosh. It's been a month since I had enough spare brain to write coherently.. Whoops.

Grandpup soaked up all my energy while he was with us (went home six days ago). Do love him, but keeping two young dogs happy while living in a camper-van was certainly a challenge! Still, a bit of Granny-discipline has done him the world of good - just hope his owners keep up training him now - if they do, he'll be a great dog when he reaches maturity. Made me realise just how far Musketeer has come since Gardener delivered him - wild and scared - almost a year ago.

Meanwhile the Winds of Change have been blowing an icy hooley through Yours Truly's knickers..
    The Nest got burgled.
    Still not sure exactly what was stolen because the toe-rags made such a terrible mess and we're queueing for the attention of the finger-print expert so can't really get the place tidied up yet. The telly has gone, all my gold jewellery [I think] and some odd stuff like my spare e-cig liquids and half a box of cigarette papers (the latter they are welcome to as I no longer smoke). Most upsetting was the damage the thieves did with an axe - and sheer vandalism; kicking in some of the panels of my favourite family heirloom (which presumably was too large for them to take).

Still, when all's said and done, it's just "stuff". Think we know who one of the lowlives is - someone I gave a chance to last year - but will leave it in the hands of the police - and karma - to punish him.

Dansmam - the gas connectors were finally delivered after thirty-five days in transit. They work - van is now running on a Spanish bottle.
    Discovered the reason for the high price of postage was that G@slow sent these parts in a box large enough to put a full-sized family cooker in! The pipe and regulator would easily have fitted into a box 30 x 30 x 10cms - have not yet worked up enough indignation to protest about that..

The rain has arrived, and plenty of it! Lots of problems with electricity at DH's cottages; in the end Dear Dour Neighbour disconnected the annex which stopped the power shorting out every two minutes (literally!). All needs rewiring, for which am currently awaiting a quote.

Not spent much since writing last, as had no funds available; luckily m' favourite part-time neighbours don't mind me using veg from their garden which would otherwise be wasted, and the freezers were both full when I last posted so M, G and I have been slowly eating our way through the stocks. Did put £28 worth of fuel in the van, but have been cut off from the outside world since our local river flooded so haven't been anywhere since.
    Last edited by *Robin*; 10-03-2018 at 9:24 AM. Reason: site doesn't like the euro sign.. :(
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 10th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 31,291 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Sorry to hear about the Nest - hope the police nick the thieving toe-rags!
    V3ry - £389.60
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

2,421Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin