Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Duped77
    • By Duped77 16th Jul 16, 11:10 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Duped77
    Desperate Help needed - Expat invested in Generali Vision Plan through DeVeres
    • 16th Jul 16, 11:10 AM
    Desperate Help needed - Expat invested in Generali Vision Plan through DeVeres 16th Jul 16 at 11:10 AM
    Dear financial experts,

The detail to my story is quite in depth - but I will try and keep it to the sailiant points. The starting point is me I suppose - a family man who wanted to put some money aside for the future. It was around 2010 when I was expatriated to China, this lasted for 2 years. Soon after arriving in China I was approached (preyed upon) by a so called IFA from Deveres.

I’m a man of very modest wealth - basically never having more than a couple of thousands of pounds in savings. The expatriation though increased our disposable income so I thought this was the right time to start making provisions for our families future. My 1st thought was to start making mortgage over payments …. looking back now I sooooo wish that I had done that instead of the investment route I actually ended up taking.

I wasn’t looking to ‘invest’, however this guy from Deveres made contact with me whilst in China and I agreed to listen to what investment options may be available to me. He explained to me how this plan was flexible, low risk, the best investment opportunity available to expats (for tax reasons), etc, etc. He encouraged my to start with high contributions - saying that these could be scaled back at any time.

Against my better judgement I invested in something called the "General Vision Plan".

Soon after returning to the UK the disposable income reduced and I sailed back my monthly contributions down to the minimum (i.e just 100 GBP). 6 years down the line - having contributed near on 30k the plan cash-out value is just 5k. Most of the contributions were going into a fund that has since collapsed and gone into administration. I didn’t choose the fund as such - the IFA proposed a fund portfolio based upon my requirements - i.e. I asked for something low risk and flexible.

Now I feel that I am stuck in no-mans land…. keep paying the minimum 100 pounds per month (for the next 14 years) so I don’t surrender my plan or cash out and wave goodbye to over 25k. I could cry ! A typical ‘chucking good money after bad’ type of decision.

I understand that some of you may have little sympathy - at the end of the day I was the one that signed on the dotted line, however the plan I thought I was getting was NOT the one I was sold…… this is though mis-selling of the highest order and ver sharp practice. If the plan was sold to me in this way in the UK I would have some recourse for action through the FCA, or similar, I assume.

I'm reaching out to you (and various other firms) because I don't know who else can help - I made contact with a several Financial Advisors in the UK but none of them will support on something so small - yet for me this is a huge amount of money and Im looking for damage limitation options.

Its a minefield - I brought into this through Deveres (through their China office) who sold me a product from Generali (based in Guernsey ?). These companies seem to have offices based all over the place - so even if I thought it was worth a moment of my time to write a letter of complaint I wouldn’t know where to send it (but what chance does a letter a letter from me stand against the might of Deveres or Generali ?).

Can you offer some advise - some direction even ... is there anything I can do ? Any ombudsman to contact or legal recourse ?

Yours very very desperately
    Many thanks
    Duped77
Page 2
    • fire0320
    • By fire0320 10th Nov 18, 3:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fire0320
    hi all,

having a dispute with Generali Vision Death benefit here.

my wife enrolled in vision back in 2002 and recently pass away.

I notified Generali ten days later of her death (say 15 Sep), and my financial adviser helped me with the forms and submitted to Generali on 25 Sep.

Generali finally payout the death benefit and i found the followings:

1. the price of fund for valuation was 25 Sep instead of 15 Sep (the date of notification);
    2. there was a reduction in fund units for valuation as compared to the statement given by my financial adviser as on 25 Sep.

The terms of conditions stated:
    The 'Death Benefit' is the Investment Value following our receipt of written notice of the Relevant Death ....

As such, I understood valuation should be based on 15 Sep (the date of notification), but Generali maintained that they received the doc on 25 Sep and valuation was based on this date.

They never replied about the reduction in units for valuation.

I wish to look for Terms and Conditions of Vision Plans after 2002 and see if there are any amendment with respect to the valuation date of death benefits.

Thanks
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 10th Nov 18, 6:23 AM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    hi all,

having a dispute with Generali Vision Death benefit here.

my wife enrolled in vision back in 2002 and recently pass away.

I notified Generali ten days later of her death (say 15 Sep), and my financial adviser helped me with the forms and submitted to Generali on 25 Sep.

Generali finally payout the death benefit and i found the followings:

1. the price of fund for valuation was 25 Sep instead of 15 Sep (the date of notification);
    2. there was a reduction in fund units for valuation as compared to the statement given by my financial adviser as on 25 Sep.

The terms of conditions stated:
    The 'Death Benefit' is the Investment Value following our receipt of written notice of the Relevant Death ....

As such, I understood valuation should be based on 15 Sep (the date of notification), but Generali maintained that they received the doc on 25 Sep and valuation was based on this date.

They never replied about the reduction in units for valuation.

I wish to look for Terms and Conditions of Vision Plans after 2002 and see if there are any amendment with respect to the valuation date of death benefits.

Thanks
    Originally posted by fire0320
    Sorry but for once that sounds OK to me.
    They can only give you the price on the day they were able to sell them - i.e after they had received everything from you.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Nov 18, 10:51 AM
    • 95,825 Posts
    • 63,538 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The investment remains until everything is in place to settle the claim. The values will continue to go up or down in the meantime.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,937Posts Today

6,905Users online

Martin's Twitter