PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 August 2016 at 9:18AM
    JackieO wrote: »
    I always keep a small stash of cash at home usually in different labeled ex onion chutney jars. Used during the month for small household bills 'Gardener' (£24) History club'(£20) Quiz night (£8.00) 'Food only' (£60). I draw it out at the end of the month and split it up between the different jars. The rest of my cash is moved after the D/Ds etc are left in for the month, and shoved into a savings account so I always know to the penny exactly how much cash is in my current account.I try to make every penny work as well as I can .I have seperate long term savings accounts that I add to each month, and one is for holidays only and the other a rainy-day fund which is my cushion against disasters :)
    Leaving cash sitting in a current account doing nothing apart from my bill money to me is wasteful I know the rates have dropped again but even .25% is better than 0%.My Isa rates which I have the major chunk of my cash in ,my eldest DD moves it around at various intervals as she is an accountant which helps no end :):):) I don't think anyone is making much from their interest at the moment

I can see where DD gets her accounting brain from >> her mama! :T

I need to keep more cash at home, especially smaller bills and change. I'll put that on my to do list along with Get Will Made.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • I wonder how many jars she have in her home.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm definitely keeping a bit more cash at home, in odd places ... I really, really don't trust what's happening at the moment.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have a tin each of £1 and £2 coins, woefully depleted right now, as is my stash of paper money, but slowly rebuilding them all. DH laughs gently at my MSE ways, but whenever one of us (i.e. him :rotfl: ) needs some cash instantly, there is always some in the house! :D

I'm also going back to withdrawing cash once a week for food and groceries, much easier to see where it goes that way, and using my credit card for diesel (get cash back on it for fuel).

GQ, I love shoeboxes, too, and have infected my children with that same love! :rotfl: You wouldn't believe (well, preppers/MSE-ers would!) the things a 6 year old girl can stash in a box!! :rotfl::rotfl:

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm thinking of closing my Cash ISA - it has only a couple of hundred in it as I can only save a small amount each month, and I need new glasses which will be ridiculously expensive, so I could do with having the money available.
    But then I won't have anything "for emergencies".....and I can manage with my current glasses for a while longer....Decisions, decisions :o
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I buy the £25 cheapest glasses that Specsavers sell. Apart from my National Health ones that I believe were free, that's the least I've ever paid for glasses in 40 years of wearing them.

Have a look: https://www.specsavers.co.uk/
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 August 2016 at 9:40AM
    My uncle used to stash money in interesting places for long term S hits the F type situations... Inside the base of a lamp was a favorite and a plastic zipper bag taped on the back of the washing machine was another.
    He was an interesting guy. He worked for years on the Neveda test site (outside of Las Vegas) starting in 1951 until the 1980s. He was head of the department that built the underground test sites for nuclear bombs. He said the last bomb tested was on the day after the US signed an agreement with Russia to stop testing nuclear weapons. No one told them an agreement had been reached so they exploded it as planned. Washington wasn't happy.
    He had a high school education. The guy who took over for him had a PHD.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Test_Site
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    The safest place to hoard cash is in a jar buried in the garden. It worked for the Romans, and the Saxons, and the Vikings, etc etc. Then you're safe from burglars and from fires. Even if there was a flood, the water has to go down someday..
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    One caveat, re stashing cash... it's a "friend of a friend" story but completely believable, doing what I do. Said friend's friend knew very well that her aged aunt had quite a wad of cash hidden somewhere in their home, but had no idea where. When the aunt passed away, she left the entire contents of her (rented) home to the niece, who went through the place like a dose of salts hunting for the cash, but found nothing. The landlords wanted everything out by the end of the month, and in the end, in despair, she called in the house clearance boys and paid them to take it all away & dump it, even the beautiful, fairly-new bespoke Laura Ashley full-length interlined curtains, which just weren't to her taste.

Months later, the aunt's best friend got in touch with her & asked if she was enjoying the money. She replied that sadly, there hadn't actually been any. The BF was horrified and asked, "Didn't you find them? The old sovereigns? Well, look closely at the curtains..." Apparently the old dear had replaced all the curtain weights with rare old gold coins, carefully collected over the years. She never dreamt that her niece, desperately short of time & space and not at all fond of floral extravagances, would just pay someone to take them away...

I'm still wondering whether anybody found them...
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As everyone is talking about wills, bank accounts and cash stashes I just thought I would remind people that in these days where many change bank accounts more frequently it is a good idea to give your loved ones a list of bank accounts, or tell them where the stash might be, in case of death. I give my daughter (who is executor of my will) an updated list every year. If you worry that giving account numbers is a bit risky then just put the bank name. This is especially important if most of your banking is done online as there is often no paper statements etc. to give anyone trying to sort things out a clue where to look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure