Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 458
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 12,646 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Thank you for your warm welcome and the ideas. I hadn't thought of a drink . Would it work if I used sweetner instead of sugar as my DH is a diabetic.
    I usually make crumbles/tarts for my elderly Dad to keep in his freezer but I wondered if he would like something different. He can be a difficult person at the best of times but we are a very small family and I have no siblings so his welfare falls to me. I like to keep his freezers well stocked with HM meals just in case of emergencies.
    Karmacat thanks for the link I shall have a look see tonight, if I can keep my eyes open that is as I had the DGD for a sleepover last night but I didn't do much sleeping. That girl can't half talk, only stopped to stuff her face with food, she was even talking in her sleep, but it sounded a bit Russian . I wonder if she's a spy . My DH calls her " terror incognito ", but we love her and her brother to bits.
    Hi MrsL I've only gone and done it ! Pah! t'was as easy as you said it would be. Thank you.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 12,706 Posts
    • 175,876 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Glad you're here love xxx.

Can your DH have 'SPLENDA? it ought to work with that as a sweetener but might look 'thin' and not syrupy when it's finished and cooled. I would definitely freeze the cordials if you can't use sugar though, the bottles will keep much
    longer in a freezer. Without the sugar they might develop mould on top of the liquid if kept in the fridge for long periods before use.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 09-08-2018 at 6:03 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 12,646 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Well MrsL I can certainly try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say, but I shall have to put it on the back burner for next week as we shall be repairing the shed and putting on a new roof too ( weather permitting ). We never do anything by halves
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Aug 18, 6:43 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 12,646 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Karmacat I had a look at the savory recipes and the only one I fancied was the rhubarb chutney. I have never tried it, but I have so much rhubarb and another lot coming from Dad's garden on Sunday, that I'm willing to give it a go. Many thanks
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 12,706 Posts
    • 175,876 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Feeling very odd with all my stores run down and yesterday I got rid of the emergency water stash so the containers could go to the tip. Really, really odd!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 10th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 7,861 Thanks
    Cappella
    I felt the same after the major house renovations a couple of months ago MrsLW. It's a very odd feeling but it DOES give you an opportunity to rethink longer term prepping I've changed our tinned/dried stuff stores rather drastically, and have a much better stock rotation system in place. The empty pantry shelves made me feel very insecure for a while there though. x x
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 12,646 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Sorry MrsL I had forgotten that you are moving soon. Will there be room for stores in the new place ?
    I get quite jittery when my stocks are low and it's good to know that I'm not the only one. I thought I may have a problem and needed counselling ( food hoarding .) I think it stemmed from my paternal GM, who always kept a sideboard full of packets of loose tea and bags of sugar. ( She only had a very small kitchen ). There may have been other things in there but those two items have always stayed with me, I can even picture them now.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 12,706 Posts
    • 175,876 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Plenty of room NannyW we're not downsizing from this house we'll be moving to 3 good bedrooms and a storeroom big enough to put all we need by way of stores in too plus I'm almost doubling up on kitchen size so I'll be up to speed as soon as I can get to a Lidl up there (I buy tins by the tray). I am just going to feel vulnerable to anything happening for the next few weeks until I do!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 25,538 Thanks
    jk0
    Oh, here's something interesting...

I found a nail causing a slow puncture in my car tyre. I have not yet had a garage agree to repair one, so I thought I would have a go with my emergency repair kit, and see how long the repair lasts.

The kit is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVKSYT0/ref=asc_df_B00NVKSYT054680649/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00NVKSYT0&linkCode =df0&hvadid=231999013088&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand =8466049162253459421&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev= c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007241&hvtargid=pl a-422195343545&th=1&psc=1

I prepared the patch strip in the needle, as instructed, and smeared it with rubber solution. Then I had to make the hole bigger with a reamer! Air was really gushing out now, and I jammed in the needle, holding the collar while I withdrew it. So far, so good. I will leave the glue to set before reinflating to correct pressure.

I'll let you guys know if that seems to be a permanent repair. BTW, if anyone is buying a kit like above, they might want to add a small pair of side cutters for pulling out the nail.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 29,871 Posts
    • 172,593 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good for you jk0, I hope it *is* permanent. Looks a nice kit too.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 10th Aug 18, 6:18 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 7,861 Thanks
    Cappella
    I don't drive JKO but I've passed the link on to MrC.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong with my potato pastry? It's a recipe from a wartime cookery book and I followed it exactly but it's really, really tough? I usually use a Marguerite Patten recipe but was in a rush and couldn't find the book so tried another one. Seemed a very sticky dough but it certainly want economical because we didn't eat it.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 25,538 Thanks
    jk0
    Oh, here's something interesting...

I found a nail causing a slow puncture in my car tyre. I have not yet had a garage agree to repair one, so I thought I would have a go with my emergency repair kit, and see how long the repair lasts.

The kit is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVKSYT0/ref=asc_df_B00NVKSYT054680649/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00NVKSYT0&linkCode =df0&hvadid=231999013088&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand =8466049162253459421&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev= c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007241&hvtargid=pl a-422195343545&th=1&psc=1

I prepared the patch strip in the needle, as instructed, and smeared it with rubber solution. Then I had to make the hole bigger with a reamer! Air was really gushing out now, and I jammed in the needle, holding the collar while I withdrew it. So far, so good. I will leave the glue to set before reinflating to correct pressure.

I'll let you guys know if that seems to be a permanent repair. BTW, if anyone is buying a kit like above, they might want to add a small pair of side cutters for pulling out the nail.
    Originally posted by jk0

FTA: One further thing you might need is a Stanley blade to cut the patch flush with the tyre. I see Amazon actually do sell a more expensive kit with pliers & a small knife included. This one might be better still:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M4J8JB8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01M4J8JB8&pf_r d_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=4e9e4514-4dde-46ee-97c2-44451b168c2e&pf_rd_r=J84SPTH8FNK3XVT301K1&pd_rd_wg =4kcXS&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=zHhED&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=28db2fc4-9cca-11e8-9ba8-19314edb20f2
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 3,913 Posts
    • 48,617 Thanks
    maryb
    Capella, I know potato pastry could have a reputation for being a bit heavy. I think it might depend on the variety of potato you use - some are more "floury" and might work better
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 3,539 Thanks
    Elona
    I tried potato pastry from a hairy dieter's book and they suggest floury potatoes and very little butter and flour. I try to roll it as little as possible - get it into four inch squares and "patchwork" it as a topping.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Aug 18, 6:38 AM
    • 12,149 Posts
    • 234,170 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Hello and welcome to nannywindow, good to have you aboard the good ship preptastic.

I know what everyone means about running down stocks, I even feel a little bit odd when emptying out water carriers (I have three) as part of the water rotation. Reminds me, I must check out the CampingBarnPlace (chain store) to see if they have any on sale. I have come to the conclusion that 10 litre camping containers have the maximum flexilibility in terms of stashing (fit behind sofa etc), and portability (I can lift them easily as opposed to the 25 litre ones whichI can hoist with great difficulty).

We've had a lot of rain in the past 48 hrs which I have been delighted about but I know that all the weed seeds on my allotments which haven't germinated in the bone-dry soil will have germinated now or be about to do so, so so Cold Steel (the hoe) will have to be deployed as a matter of urgency.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Witless
    • By Witless 11th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Witless
    I think 10 litre ones are probably the better all round option, though I've also gathered in a few 5 litre ones: like you say portability is a consideration.
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 11th Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 19,887 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Morning chaps and chapesses, and anyone else who's not replied yet (as an old teacher of mine was wont to say)

I'm at the start of a drastic simplification of all matters Chez Cheapskate, in order to prep ourselves for any eventuality, if that makes sense! . This week, the littlies have pruned Mount Ironmore if the front room, and half filled a bin bag each for the chazzer, I half filled a bin bag of carp from the dining table and one stationery drawer, haven't spent much on food shopping so it makes me shop from the cupboards (I've nearly fallen off the OS wagon of late ), and have begun checking old books agains Mu$ic M@gpie to see if I can get a few pence for them (so far, 3 books = 77 pence! ).

The car boot is half full of carp pruned from the stuff stored at DH's workplace since the building work 2 years ago, ready for the tip. Over the weekend, we're going to try and finish the stuff down there, so that what's left we know is coming back home, when we've created space for it. DB has a storage unit, where's he keeping stuff he wanted of mum's until he moves; hoping I can put some of her stuff we've got until we've space for it here as well! Now I've finally bitten the bullet, I feel a tad calmer about dejunking the house - each pile is slightly easier than the last to decide about (keep-chuck-CS-sell) - I just want to do it faster now, but health issues frustrate the speed at which I can operate!

Got up early to go to parkrun, it was lovely and quiet for 10 minutes, and then DD (8) appeared and is currently making Scotch pancake mixture for breakfast for herself, DS, and DH - little horror cherub!

A xo
    Oct GC 18.48/300
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 29,871 Posts
    • 172,593 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Arranging the storage properly is so important, isn't it ... I'm just off to do a little bit of food shopping before the main mass gets going, and then I'm gong to push around the jars and bottles hiding behind the books in my living room - some are full, some are the same nice big jars completely empty - I can't help thinking they're a great size to have for dried foods or anything else come to that.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 8,178 Posts
    • 25,322 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not quite sure if this counts as Prepping, but son startled me with stressed need for a Nice Present imminently.
    The joys of storecupboards mean I have sorted matters with a rather spectacular birthday gift bottle, Christmas card (the lady is a fan of the season) & wrapping papers without having to buy Anything as I did that all in previous years. (How I will look her father in the eye is a slightly trickier issue. Still, the young have to learn to deal with alcohol sensibly.)
    • Petrolhead4
    • By Petrolhead4 11th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Petrolhead4
    Afternoon all - room for a newbie? I've finally started stocking up in the last couple of days after thinking about it for aaaages. This seems like a nice friendly place to chat about it and get some tips!

Supplies-wise I'm starting with meds for my DS, but the big push is an emergency savings fund. I have nothing so redundancy would floor me very quickly!

Looking forward to getting to know you all PHx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,551Users online

Martin's Twitter