Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 431
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm beginning to think reincarnation is more than a myth and that there are dark and malevolent souls that from time to time recycle into this world to carry on the chaos and destruction from where they left off when they last died, it's just a thought but there might just be some evidence of it working currently.....Poor Donald, if his comment yesterday that the 'Britons' loved him had any validity then the news coverage of his interview with the Sun journalist yesterday has done far more to change that as an accurate statement of fact than anything else he's ever done!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 13-07-2018 at 7:17 AM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 18, 7:30 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ....and for those of us with zero interest in history - errr...what is the Hanseatic League? (Am assuming it was some sort of EU?)

Your starter for 10 to sum up who belonged to it/what function it served/how and why it finished...
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Jul 18, 8:13 AM
    • 12,226 Posts
    • 235,339 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Donald Trump has a narcissitic personality disorder and is no more capable of recognising how others view him than an oyster is capable of astrophysics. Ignore the fool - his only purpose is to distract us from the real power-brokers.

He's an old man. He won't be around indefinately. Be patient.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 13th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 7,169 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I think the Hanseatic league was a medieval trading alliance between mainly Baltic nations. There was a Hanseatic League festival in Bergen when we were there a couple of years ago . I can remember looking it up at that time but have forgotten most of the details.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 13th Jul 18, 10:08 AM
    • 649 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    juliettet
    Re the lounge floor. I used a joiner that a friend recommended and I was able to see his work. I did need to paint and it was a lot of work covering the new floor completely. It was worth it though. Still like new. The worst bit was waiting 12 weeks as he was so busy.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,057 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I agree. We lived for a long time without being in the EU and we can go back to that - just maybe a bit of a messy bit in the middle.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    It's how long the middle lasts for that is key though, I fear.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jul 18, 10:17 AM
    • 30,050 Posts
    • 174,251 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Donald Trump has a narcissitic personality disorder and is no more capable of recognising how others view him than an oyster is capable of astrophysics. Ignore the fool - his only purpose is to distract us from the real power-brokers.

He's an old man. He won't be around indefinately. Be patient.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I decided to try to stop even reading articles about him ... he seems to thrive on creating upset, disarray and chaos, and reading and commenting about what he says feeds in to that. It's very tempting, because he and his words are horrifying, and anyway, as GQ says, there are other powerful people doing other unpleasant things. And that actually is prepping, as it stops me getting distressed/sinking into gloom, which is a real thing.

Physical prepping: I finally planted the three chive plants I grew on from a single supermarket plant My soil is really appalling and I hope they survive, but I do have a single well-established clump a little distance away, so they should.

I'm checking my cash stash - I am concerned about a really bad bank collapse coming up in the next year or so, but I can't totally withdraw from the banking system as I'm living on savings - just going to up it slightly.

Hanseatic League in Bergen: I got some great photos of the HQ there in the Bryggen, Thirzah, though from the numbers of tourists in the building, I *really* hope they reinforced it from 16th century standards
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 10:23 AM
    • 15,284 Posts
    • 148,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    MITSTM you need to know the past to understand the present. The Hanseatic League was identical to the EU, even down to the Germans being in charge. Google it!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 13th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    Cappella
    We weren't ever members of the Hanseatic League as a country. It was a league of merchant traders and cities states not countries anyway and in that sense was nothing like the EU. Germany at the time for example was really a collection of city states. It didn't become a country until the 18th century. Some cities in England belonged to it, Ipswich, kings Lyn and London spring to mind, and I think Hull but I may be wrong. Cities with trading ports and strong trading links were the primary members.
    I studied it at uni many years ago and found it fascinating. Wikipedia will give you a fairly accurate bare bones explaination, though it's not 100% accurate.
    MITSTM always be aware that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it! It repays interest and some knowledge and understanding of historical reasons for cause and effect.
    Right. Lecture over, I'm going to shop now
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 11:31 AM
    • 15,284 Posts
    • 148,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think it's fairly similar to the EU though. We got a lot about it in school, I think it was a big thing in Scotland.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 2:42 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The articles on the news feed seem to think we might, after DTs rampage through the interview with the Sun journalist yesterday, have to make a choice between the USA and the EU when it comes to trade deals if we have a soft Brexit, suddenly for some reason a soft Brexit and continued trade with the EU sounds like a very attractive proposition given the alternative!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 4:30 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I am now completely bemused (what's that I hear, situation normal then?') I was up very early this morning and watching CNN who broadcast footage of Mr. Trumps interview with the Sun newspaper journalist, I watched every word of it and was appalled as I usually am at it's content when Mr. T is speaking. This afternoon Mr. Trump has stood on a podium beside Mrs May, our Prime Minister and called his own televised and I suspect viewed by many of the UK population words as FALSE NEWS. Now he is of an age to be experiencing short term memory loss but I'm not far behind him in number of years on planet earth and I remember every word of that film footage. He IS President of the United States, he is not a magician who can change the past and unsay those damaging words, his calling them false news holds no credence, no truth, no reversing of them, he must think we in the UK are as blind and accepting as those who support him possibly because and not despite all he has done and all that he is but I rather think he is wrong. Not one word can be unsaid and not one word could be forgiven!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Jul 18, 4:30 PM
    • 12,226 Posts
    • 235,339 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've long thought 'Zaphod Beeblebrox' whenever I've seen DT or heard his infantile widdlings.

The purpose of the role of the President of the Galaxy/ POTUS is to distract attention from the people who are really running the show.

ZB/ DT was superbly good at his job.

Ignore the orange idiot with the combover and the frighteningly plastic-looking glambot companion. They are just the smoke & mirrors, the real power brokers are somewhere deep in their entourage or back home in Washington.

Which was apparently built on a swamp because no one wanted to give up decent land for something as reprehensible as government.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've oft wondered who the 'puppet masters' might be but pray God I never ever find out.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 12,226 Posts
    • 235,339 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've oft wondered who the 'puppet masters' might be but pray God I never ever find out.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Don't worry, men like that make sure that they are never exposed to the public eye. Which is just as well, or we'd have to call the pest controllers in and clean house properly.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm glad of it, I can only do what I feel is best in my tiny corner of the world, try to keep that true and right the rest of the world can do it's own thing without any help or input from me. Head down and try your best to make it through the other side is a very good motto, no?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Jul 18, 4:59 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 64,360 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Apparently Trump said it was fake news because, he said, the Sun hadn't included any of the nice (and excruciatingly embarrassing) things he'd said about Mrs May. He was then told that in fact they had, so then he said it wasn't fake news after all.....

Interesting about the Hanseatic League that the German cities which used to be members are still allowed to use an "H" in front of their registration plates , e;g;. HH for Hamburg and HB for Bremen (can't remember the others offhand - maybe HBH for Bremerhaven?
    anyone know?).
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 13-07-2018 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Fake, not false.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Jul 18, 5:13 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    Mar, what fuel do you burn in your stove?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 5:34 PM
    • 15,284 Posts
    • 148,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    Smokeless eggs kittie. Wee grenade shaped thingies.. last for ages, only needs topped up and cleaned once per 24 hours. Good heat. It can burn anything though and we have used ordinary house coal but that is dirtier and doesn't last as long.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,057 Thanks
    VJsmum
    They are just the smoke & mirrors, the real power brokers are somewhere deep in their entourage or back home in Washington.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    More likely Moscow...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,428Posts Today

6,634Users online

Martin's Twitter