Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 425
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Jul 18, 3:40 PM
    • 12,098 Posts
    • 233,241 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    VJsmum I wouldn't worry about your diet atm - I think in this weather we've gotta do what we've gotta do

GQ I do feel quite bad that I haven't put water out for the birds, but I have looked at possible receptacles and I don't really know what shape would work? I have shallow bowls but we use those ourselves and I think they'd tip up if a bird perched on the edge. I do have the straight-sided bowl I used to put out for our cat (and "passing trade" as OH called the other local cats) but it has a silhouette of a cat in the bottom which would put the birds off. What shape is best? I do put seed out, but I appreciate they need water.
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    v I think any old thing will do. SuperGran uses a ceramic saucer designed to go under a planter. Shallow-ish is likely to be best, bathing birdies seem to favour water only 2-3 inches deep. I've seen sparrows bathing in very shallow puddles.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of birds overbalancing containers as most of them are incredibly light. I've seen robins perch on the single upturned opened edge of a compost bag without bending it over and various small birds can cling onto bricks vertically, they weigh so little.HTH.

Nice to 'see' you again, Cheapskate, and I hope the job situation comes good for you soon.

ETA; Am trucking along with my new PC and have brought allmy documents across from the USB drive where they were stored safely. I always recall the comment I read somewhere that data in only one place isn't safw data. I also have hardcopy of my phone contacts in a wee address book, in case of accidents, loss or failure of a phone.

In the current age, with most people having mobile numbers and these being relatively hard to commit to memory in quantity, we could easily lose our only record of an important contact if we're not careful.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 03-07-2018 at 5:05 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 18, 5:34 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,722 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're preparing to move, I know I've shed lots of things but we've just had a man round to give us a quote who says all our worldly belongings will fit into two transit vans and a luton! that's not much to show for 143 years of life between us is it?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 3rd Jul 18, 6:40 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 63,394 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    We're preparing to move, I know I've shed lots of things but we've just had a man round to give us a quote who says all our worldly belongings will fit into two transit vans and a luton! that's not much to show for 143 years of life between us is it?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    oh, I dunno.....

Good to see you Cheapskate Wishing for a new job for you extremely soon.

How are you liking the new computer, GQ?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 12,098 Posts
    • 233,241 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It was a grudge purchase, I only set it up on Sunday pm, but I'm liking it pretty much.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 100,381 Thanks
    fuddle
    Lyn never mind your belongings... what about all your firewood?!
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 18, 9:13 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,722 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I KNOW!!! but until we get the stove installed at the new house it's no use to us so we're leaving it with the house xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Jul 18, 9:18 PM
    • 12,098 Posts
    • 233,241 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm as impressed as all get-out that you have so little truck and clutter, Lyn. My own chattels would add up to about half-a-Luton but a singleton's household doesn't equal half a couple's household as you only tend to have the one cooker, washer etc etc.

Righty, have been awake for about 19 hrs straight so am about to toddle offline, read a bit, then commune with my blankie for a few hours. Have a restful sleep, one and all. GQ x
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,722 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Sleep well GQ xxx.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 5,332 Posts
    • 78,508 Thanks
    VJsmum
    VJsmum I wouldn't worry about your diet atm - I think in this weather we've gotta do what we've gotta do
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    I think you're right. I don't have much to lose anyway so will be sensible but not actively trying to do the low calorie fasting...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 4th Jul 18, 10:24 AM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 63,394 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    GQ I rummaged through my kitchen cupboards and found a big pyrex pie dish type thing which was my mother's and which I don't think I've ever used. It's now on the grass, full of water for the birds. Mum would be pleased that it's being put to goo use after so many years in the cupboard! Hopefully the birds will eventually notice it

ETA Being put to good use, even.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 05-07-2018 at 9:39 AM.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Jul 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 25,504 Thanks
    jk0
    Silly girl climbed out of 3rd floor window
    I don't believe what just happened at the block where I have a flat...

I went over at 9:30 to collect some keys and as I was leaving I saw a pair of legs dangling out of a 3rd floor window. I thought she was trying to get in the 2nd floor. Sadly that was shut and the poor girl ended up right next to me crying in agony.

I rang 999 and waited until the ambulance got there. I think her parents must have shut her in. I bet they don't do that again.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jul 18, 8:50 AM
    • 16,611 Posts
    • 45,855 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    When you say "girl" - do you mean child or adult?

Guess it was an adult - as you didnt go along in the ambulance with them?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Jul 18, 9:41 AM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 63,394 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Good grief, jk0! What sort of age was she? Teenager? I hope she's not badly hurt.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 5th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 7,842 Thanks
    Cappella
    Poor girl. She was lucky you were there and able to call for help. Any idea why she'd tried such a dangerous stunt?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 5th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 25,504 Thanks
    jk0
    It was a black girl, maybe 15 to 16. As I said, I think her mother locked her in and went to work, as she never showed up while I was there.

I just enquired with a neighbour, and am told she is okay.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 16,611 Posts
    • 45,855 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well then - I can see why the girl did that (though she shouldnt have - as its too risky). The girl is too old to just be locked in and if her mother is getting up to stunts like that = whatever sort of mother has she got?
    • Money_mess
    • By Money_mess 5th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Money_mess
    Hi all. Have been reading along. I've found myself more and more recently uneasy about how little stocks we have in for things if needed, for example when we've been short on cash - we've struggled as had no food in.
    So I'm determined to prep and have found this thread really interesting.
    Things I've done so far :
    * made a folder including passports, birth and marriage certs, e111 cards.
    * been stocking up on medicines. Have found great prices in qual*ty save. I have my first aid box almost where I'm happy with but also have two small ones if like to fill. One for the car and one for my bag as I have 4 kids.
    *been buying a few bargains for the freezer and portioning leftovers for the freezer.
    *have lots of clothes safely packed away for my kids to grow into. Stuff that's passed down.
    *have spent 11 card factory as needed a few cards but I've got loads of cards for that and put them away in a specific box. Considering tesco change about 3 for one card! I got a few packs of birthday candles for that too.

Plans
    *finish two small first aid bags
    *build up food stocks so that we could go 3-4 weeks without shopping if needed.
    *slowly building up a buffer into my electric account
    *making a box for the car of helpful items - have a couple of torches, some bags for life and my tyre pump but need blanket, bottled water, cereal bars, and to put spare clothes in.
    *I'm starting to build an emergency fund. Aiming for 1000 by around January. I the plan to perhaps keep 100 in cash in the house?
    *need to get bottled water for the house.
    *organise all my paperwork in my bills box.
    *build a good stock of toiletries and clenaing items we regularly use. Not huge amounts but enough so that we could go a month or so if needed.

I guess my main priorities are being prepared so we don't feel so close to the edge again. We've had moments of pure financial panic wondering how to feed everyone. Hence the debt!
    We are paying off the debt currently so I don't have huge amounts to play with but know if I do the above slowly that will work ok and be getting somewhere. It will help my stress levels to know we are prepared and not living pay cheque to pay cheque like we have been doing. I see the emergency fund as vital to this but also the food stocks.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 5th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 7,842 Thanks
    Cappella
    Hello Money_mess
    And welcome, it's always nice to meet a fellow prepper It sounds as if you've thought everything through very carefully, and are taking very sensible steps to ensure that you and your family will happily survive all the future unexpected pitfalls that life likes to throw at us.
    I prep for those mostly, though everyone has different approaches to prepping I think it's fair to say that all preppers try to look ahead, and make sure that they've done the best they can to help themselves and their families when times suddenly change.
    It's a good feeling to know that if all else fails you can survive for a month on what's in your cupboards and freezer. It gives me a real sense of security, and has been of huge benefit in the past when serious illness suddenly hit us.
    You've actually reminded me that I've not checked our first aid box on the allotment for a very long time, and the one in the car needs topping up too, so thank you for that. Better put the tablet down and get on with things
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 5th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 34,306 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oooh, first aid box for the allotment - thanks, Capella, that's a must! I keep one in my van, which is usually with me when I go to the allotment. But OH has ejected the one from his car as something in it was out of date. However, he is a first aid instructor, and I am not... so if anything untoward happens down there, you'd better hope we're both there!
    Angie

GC Sept 18 - 405.65/380 - oh bother!
    Bulk-buy purse '18 145.26/250, pet & livestock food '18 273.63/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • maryb
    • By maryb 5th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 48,319 Thanks
    maryb
    Money_mess you've really thought it through and it all looks good. I see you talk about building up a buffer in your electricity account. If we have a cold snap (I know, I know, it doesn't seem possible in this weather but winter will come)and power cuts, it might be worth thinking about extra ways to keep warm eg blankets and hot water bottles. Lots of good ideas on the preparing for winter thread
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,998Posts Today

8,866Users online

Martin's Twitter