Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 402
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 57,904 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I loved that, GQ, especially the way the cat's owner slave talked
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 17th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    juliettet
    Hmm, I'm slightly confused by the question, is this because you have bulbs that are/ were in pots?

The bulbs will go dormant for several months, so they should be all right whether you leave them in compost or lie them around nekkid (so to speak). I'd have them underground by September, tho.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Sorry, I mean if I lift the whole clump out of the pot and lay in an old trough until the Autumn. I want to use the 2 pots for summer flowers.
    • AnimalTribe
    • By AnimalTribe 17th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    AnimalTribe
    Mrs LW that is indeed a very nice thing to do. I hope your things find good new homes. You've also inspired me to start on my decluttering (which I've been meaning to do for ages). I just need a cup of tea and a biscuit to motivate me first though.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,635 Thanks
    Karmacat
    PM sent

I've been doing stuff today, but its all been sitting-down type stuff. I really need to do something physical - off to take care of the bonfire ashes (hurray! bonfire!) and set up one to be done tomorrow. My soil *will* be nutritious.
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    PM returned xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,635 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thahks hon. Morning work on the bonfire was a big yah-boo-sucks to the chronic fatigue, its at least 4 years since I did anything like that in the morning. Wasn't very much, so I still want to do some thing this afternoon, but I'm really pleased.
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 18, 3:21 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Two more books to be culled

Making Cheeses, Butters, Cream and Yoghurt at home (how to make the most of your milk supply) by Patricia Cleveland-Peck.

Left over for tomorrow by Marika Hanbury Tenison

If you're interested PM me.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sorry, I mean if I lift the whole clump out of the pot and lay in an old trough until the Autumn. I want to use the 2 pots for summer flowers.
    Originally posted by juliettet
    Should be fine. I'd not have them in direct sun (don't want them baked) and would have them lying so that the foliage didn't touch the bulbs, to discourage rot.

Am chillaxing after w*rk and having a light meal before heading out to threaten innocent plant life with metal implements. The couch grass has got it coming, frankly.......
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 17-05-2018 at 4:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 17th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 45,618 Thanks
    maryb
    Couch grass is NEVER innocent!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Couch grass is NEVER innocent!
    Originally posted by maryb
    But it looks so pitiful when it's piled up in drifts and turning brown and dying. OK, it's revive in a new yawk minute, given half a chance, which is why I shall be burning it come the autumn. *cackles evilly*

Brambles are as guilty as sin, and those greater bellbinds..........! Well, they've got another hour or two on this mortal coil before I fork them outta there.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,319 Thanks
    mardatha
    Serial killer!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th May 18, 5:43 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Serial killer!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Too right!!

But the barstewards are like zombies, ya keeps killing them and they keeps comin' right back atcha.

At least I can take comfort that, back in the dinosaur era, horsetails were the size of large trees, not the small things you get now.

I have horsetails on the allotment and they've even followed me around Europe on my holibobs. There I was, ambling down a track in Tuscany, and they were growing in the ditch. Stopped for a packed luncheon on the saddle of a mountain, somewhere in the Sloevenian Alps and, what should I see in a bit of soggy ground?

Yup - horsetails!

I shall holiday in the Sahara next time, that'll fox 'em.

Just having a quick cuppa, have cooked, eaten and washed up a meal, made a flask, ironed some things from the washload I did before w*rk and am then pedalling off to cause fear and loathing in the green hell.

I may, if I feel particularly vicious, take a few swings at that bramble with the old mattock.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hiya, the dehydrating book and the Marika Hanbury Tenison book have found new homes, the others are still up for grabs!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 17th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,195 Thanks
    Cappella
    GQueen - Horsetail (we call it marestail here oddly) is a plague on our allotments BUT a handful of it scours grotty allotment plates and mugs very effectively. Maybe we could market it as a natural, organic pan scourer and make a fortune
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQueen - Horsetail (we call it marestail here oddly) is a plague on our allotments BUT a handful of it scours grotty allotment plates and mugs very effectively. Maybe we could market it as a natural, organic pan scourer and make a fortune
    Originally posted by Cappella
    I'm rich, I tell you, rich.

Not only am I a Zim-buck billionairess, but I have a lot of horsetails.

They were used as pot scourers back in olden times. I prefer my stainless steel scrubbie for use at home, but I guess they could be useful if camping. I don't think they should be circulated in an open enviroment, they'd end up carpetting the country from one side to another. We'd have to hide behind the M25 to be safe from their ferny clutches.

On the eat-the-frog principle, I dug up that barstewarding bramble. Took me about 20 minutes and it wasn't even that big but, like an iceberg, there was a lot of it below the surface. I won't have got it all, so I'll be keeping an eye on that bit and going after it again when it starts re-growing.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 17th May 18, 9:34 PM
    • 10,246 Posts
    • 55,097 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Handy little gadget.
    Tesco petrol stations are selling a 9 LED, Ultra Violet torch, for less than a fiver.

Useful for checking banknotes, Driving Licences etc., for forgeries.

Also handy for viewing UV pen markings on valuables.

Naturally I've bought one , and I'm well impressed with how bright it is.

Oh, and it also makes my Vaseline Glass bowl glow like crazy.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Books posted this morning via snail mail! will be with you both in a while!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th May 18, 1:07 PM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,635 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Tesco petrol stations are selling a 9 LED, Ultra Violet torch, for less than a fiver.

Useful for checking banknotes, Driving Licences etc., for forgeries.

Also handy for viewing UV pen markings on valuables.

Naturally I've bought one , and I'm well impressed with how bright it is.

Oh, and it also makes my Vaseline Glass bowl glow like crazy.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I've eyed those up on ebay several times - I don't think I have a Tesco petrol station nearby, but I'll watch out for it thanks Bob.

Books posted this morning via snail mail! will be with you both in a while!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks Mrs LW

My two sets of garden work went well, though I was really, really tired by late afternoon. Makes sense, really, as its proper navvying, but there was a lot that I therefore left undone in the house, which is already untidy enough Somewhat caught up this morning, but not really

I'm reading Snow, by Ryan Clifford atm - the second book, Thaw, was free, and this one was a whole 99p (oh, it still is. My swagbux vouchers paid for it) wondered if anyone else had read it? I haven't finished yet, so no spoilers! But the format is good - lots of individual stories building up, and some of them merging, I can tell who's who, and its well written, amazingly so, except that the guy uses an awful lot of exclamation marks. One at a time, true, but far, far too many. It seems to be his only fault, so I'll forgive that
    Retired August 2016
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 18th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,195 Thanks
    Cappella
    Thank you MrsLW

Karmacat - I!!!8217;ve downloaded Snow but haven!!!8217;t started it yet, we must have had the same free book offers!
    Last edited by Cappella; 18-05-2018 at 8:20 PM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 18th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Overheard an interesting comment from an acquaintance of my pal with the juntique shop; that there seem to a be lot of tatty foisty 20 notes suddenly around on the scene (he's a general dealer).

Suspicion is, that the Banque d'Mattresss et de Moquette is giving up some of its sequested holdings of rag-paper money ahead of the 2020 introduction of polymer notes.

Anyone else noticed this?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin