Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 399
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th May 18, 11:18 AM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 45,578 Thanks
    maryb
    Guessing it's Discworld?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Sorry - it would simply matters if I suggested you start reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld.
    Where Cut-My-Own-Throat Dibbler (relating to his pricing policy patter), & Vetinari are people in the city of Ankh Morpork, and where Rat On A Stick is streetfood for the dwarf population. Give it a try? It's a glorious universe & superbly written, but you'll be laughing so hard the lit crit barely matters.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 12th May 18, 11:34 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    Witless
    Erm, I'm lost ... cmotd? Vetinari? Heeelp!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    **Gasp**

Never 'eard of 'im?

Wash your keyboard out with soap!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Vetinari
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Witless, be nice - karmcat may know every character in Dickens, or how to keep a dicky motor running for the extra few miles, or have a system that works for food storage - that's why we have the Forum - to help each other when things get a bit "eh?!"

Plus she may have a sideline in Mime & thus have been sheltered from some information.

(The chicken names won't have made sense either.) May I suggest Sugarbean as a possible name?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,140 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    When we had chickens we had Geraldine, Marjory and Florence followed by Barbara, Sylvia and Edwina, most up market my girls were!

Now you DO know that technically rats ARE edible? be careful what you wish for .........
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Witless
    • By Witless 12th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    Witless
    Witless, be nice
    Originally posted by DigForVictory

In my defence, despite the time of posting, I hadn't had my eleventythird first cup of coffee (as evidenced by my use of ** Gasp ** instead of ) and thought I was replying to the last post in a jocular manner.

I didn't believe there were still people who weren't aware of the fantasy reality novels by Sir TP.

Ah well, illusions are made to be shattered: I suppose the next point on my learning curve will be to be told that not everyone just nips to the corner shop as and when required, follows the dictates of consumerism, replaces rather than repairs ....

Every day a school day.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 12th May 18, 1:16 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    Witless
    When we had chickens we had Geraldine, Marjory and Florence followed by Barbara, Sylvia and Edwina, most up market my girls were!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    My last dog was called 'Thing'.

(It seemed less cruel than the more accurate 'Heinz')
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I shouldn't chide anyone short on the essential fluids - I'm sorry! (That's a cut down definition of shock, which can be fatal, as well as an apology.)

Stunningly the Discworld is unknown to some, despite Pratchett accounting for over a quarter of W.H.Smiths SF&F sales. (All reasonably priced, unlike their in-hospital toothpaste ye gods.)

Edwina, for a chicken, Mrs LW? Mischevious! Come that day I'm allowed chickens (*never* a cockerel - sons love their sleep too much), I may just run down the family tree & pull out the older names - Alethea, Emmeline, Madelina, Clarisse, Ruby, Susannah & co but I think Magrat & co would be even more fun. Although I foresee the "OK, get out the corned beef" situation... (I love chicken, Husband, not so much. Picky mortal.)

"Thing" for a dog does't sound too bad - I've not forgotten hearing a tweeded lady gallumphing down a hill path yelling "Bishop! Come back here, Bishop!" after a liveiy terrier. I've a colleague who's husband named the new cat Janet as he thought it would be fun to startle the neighbours.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 12-05-2018 at 3:20 PM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th May 18, 3:41 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,394 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've always had a soft spot for Lord Vetinari, have just re-read Guards! Guards! and enjoyed the bit where he meditates that one should never build a dungeon that one wouldn't happy to be incarcerated in oneself - whilst being detained in his own due to a palace coup. He was being waited on by magically-enhanced rats but their pantry pilferage on his behalf was a trifle compromised due to their inability to read the labels on bottles......... ah Discworld, truly a wonderful creation.

Isn't rat-onna-stick a famous dwarvish delicacy?

I have been Doing Stuff which is Too Secret to share on the interwebulator today. So there.

DforV, my family nickname is It. As in (exasperated parental tone to be imagined at this point) Where is It and what's It doing NOW?!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,140 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    YES D for V precisely for that reason and Edwina is such a nice name isn't it? I suppose one of the new ones could be 'Ella?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 12th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    When to switch energy?
    I'm coming up to the end of a 30 month fix with Scottish Power on 30th June. The prices they would roll me onto then are about 50% more, and even the cheapest alternative is about 20% more.

Is there any way to actually switch on 30th June? That way I keep my low price until the last minute, but don't get stung by the 50% increase.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 4:36 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Don't know one myself, but will start with presuming you're not shackled by a smartmeter.
    At which point, you pick the least bad option at the start of June & see what happens. (Unless energy switching has got more efficient? I reckoned about a month from clicking through to change of billing.)

Or, for peace of mind, start stitching today. Much depends on your usage, budget & anxiety?!
    • herbily
    • By herbily 12th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    herbily
    For those who don't have a copy of Nanny Ogg's famous cookbook, there are less edible versions of rat-onna-stick available: https://www.discworldemporium.com/discworld-plushies/332-rat-onna-stick

I'm still working on a version of dwarf bread - my own home-made version of bread is nearly as solid as the dwarf version but not quite...
    One day at a time...
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 18, 5:16 PM
    • 10,245 Posts
    • 55,089 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    When we had chickens we had Geraldine, Marjory and Florence followed by Barbara, Sylvia and Edwina
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Geraldine's a goat, according to The Good Life.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 22,233 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I've always thought it would be the fun to paint (or buy pre-printed) some kind of trompe l'oeil effect, so that what people saw from outside wasn't actually what was inside.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Sorry Bob, distracted by a precious ingenious idea - yes! Curtains that make it look like I tidied! Or beautifully painted doors suggesting that behind is a clean and orderly room when I know a teenager is lurking in its pit.

I maintain I've never been burgled as anyone looking into the front room tends to recoil, appalled. Into a bay bush if they're lucky, or just sprawled nervelessly in a "bed" of mint & chives if not. The serious wannabe, peering through the kitchen window, will note there is nowhere to put a foot having climbed in & that neighbours on both sides have dogs.

Farm behind has alpacas & goats at present. I've not asked their names as gorgeous, fluffy & cuuute cover the essentials. (But then I keep my drying laundry well away from their somehow-familiar appetites. Maybe I should nickname them after the sons...)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 29,177 Posts
    • 166,540 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to have created such an uproar I've read a few of dearest TP, but I've always been more into hard SF. And indeed, if anybody knows the Merchanter Universe of CJ Cherryh, or the Galactic Milieu of Julian May, well, I've lived in both those universes for months at a time.
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,394 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sorry to have created such an uproar I've read a few of dearest TP, but I've always been more into hard SF. And indeed, if anybody knows the Merchanter Universe of CJ Cherryh, or the Galactic Milieu of Julian May, well, I've lived in both those universes for months at a time.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Couple of my fave authors listed here. You almost never see CJC books in chazzers, I reckon nobody gets rid of them until death they do part.

Just decluttered well over an hour in bed asleep - got overtired and had a minor crash, we ME-types will be familiar with this habit.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 5,409 Posts
    • 57,823 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I did the same thing, GQ. Happily, tonight's dinner was salad with tuna for me and cooked meat for OH, so that was nice and easy.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,658 Posts
    • 33,248 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Also a huge CJC fan here; my only complaint is that she doesn't write fast enough! And Julian May, and Guy Gavriel Kay... somehow a good SF/Fantasy novel can spirit me away into far corners of the multiverse that feel much more like home than this one does!
    Angie

GC May 18 326.16/400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 145.26/250, pet & livestock food '18 131.45/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 13th May 18, 7:21 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    Cappella
    Chickens are sorted !!! We now have Sybil, Esk, Esmeralda, Gytha, Susan, Glenda, Kirsty, Magrat, Tiffany, Belle, Polly, and Agnes. Which one is not a Discworld character? Gold star if you can identify the TP series she is in?

Huge CJ Cherryh fan here, but my advice is do NOT read The Faded Sun on holiday. It looks very odd if you sit crying yours eyes out on the beach at Mablethorpe! Fantastic books though. I have never tried Julian May, May have another go but might struggle to find the books.

I think fantasy and SF are brilliant genres for preppers. They really make you think very hard about so many possibilities
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,604Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin