Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 398
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 15,017 Posts
    • 144,406 Thanks
    mardatha
    I haven't got an upstairs thank god mary. I can't do stairs.
    I lived without a cooker for 2 months when we moved to the last house - hauled a gas cooker 45 miles down here in a van only to find out that the village had no gas... so I fed 5 of us from a one-ring electric thing that had a tiny grill underneath. I found out just how many meals you can make in one pot
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 5,627 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Council did our kitchen, OH is blind, had no problem having it done the same way. Different areas must have different rules. Only thing moved was one light switch.
    Originally posted by carlislelass
    Thank you carlislelass Perhaps your old kitchen was already compatible with the current rules? (By sheer chance, I mean.)

ETA Thank you GQ They were able to have a new bathroom sooner than expected, instead, which was better actually as the old one was in a bit of a state. I don't think anything in it had been replaced for about 40 years apart from the taps. They have a proper electric shower over the bath now
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 10-05-2018 at 6:09 PM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 231,310 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Well, having a new door is certainly an icebreaker in terms of getting to know your neighbours.

Just came in from the lottie and one who'd never spoken to me before wanted to know (in a nice way) when I'd got it done as she was still waiting to hear from the contractor. And another passed me on the street a couple of hours after it was finished and remarked 'nice door'.

I hope I'm not going to be Envied, the door is one of the council standard ones, you get a (very small) choice of styles and colours and I'm in about the last 25 % of flats to have their doors replaced.

Still, I have never, in my 50+ years, lived anywhere with a new door, so it is quite an exciting day on Planet GQ.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 15,017 Posts
    • 144,406 Thanks
    mardatha
    O god there'll be no living with her now....
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 231,310 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    O god there'll be no living with her now....
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Yer reckon?!

You get on a plane and come Dahn Sarf, Mar, plenty of room for a wee lassie like you in my allotment shed. Or even in the allotment cold frame. You can admire my new door from afar as long as you don't put mucky paw prints onnit.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 169,165 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yay to innocent door envy I quite fancy one myself

I've finally got rid of all the opened post and packaging from behind *my* front door (genuine plastic ) slightly embarrassed at the amount of time its taken. All my little ebay/amazon purchases, mostly optical stuff - screwdrivers for spectacles and a few spectacles first aid kits, but also those little canisters to screw on to your keyring to take a couple of aspirin around with you) have all been in the pile, now unearthed. Plus my new daysack for my holibob, to be used as a ready-packed hospital bag in future.
    Retired August 2016
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th May 18, 3:08 PM
    • 7,884 Posts
    • 23,485 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    <ponders leverage required to get Himself to repaint & restore the numbers to our front door> Definite nice front door envy!

A propos of genuine plastic, I did a quick fold of bags for life (it sounds dreadful, but it does make them pack flat) and loaded four small hessian totes with flat-packed bags then shoved three under the back seat & one in the boot so for a couple of shopping trips at least I already have bags!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th May 18, 5:55 PM
    • 15,017 Posts
    • 144,406 Thanks
    mardatha
    A real prepper would have a hidden steel inner door GQ... I'm just sayin
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 231,310 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A real prepper would have a hidden steel inner door GQ... I'm just sayin
    Originally posted by mardatha
    LMAO!

If I wasn't a tenant, I'd have a steel-cored door and 'london bars' - the steel frame to keep it in. The landlord doesn't know about the bunker I'm excavating under my flat, as I tunnel down into the pilings which support Shoebox Towers on the dodgy riverine gravels of this site - if we start listing, we can bill ourselves as the Leaning Tower of England and make a mint off the tourists.

I'm actually working on a wee sewing project (well, taking five from it for a moment). I'm altering some net curtains for my parents. Nets are preptastic if they protect your home from snoopers - I chose this design by spending ages in the shop looking at the least seeable-thru design. Plus you can peer around them.

One should never ever twitch net curtains as we human beans, like all animals, can't help but take notice of movement. One should peer, very slowly and circumspectly around net curtains, when spying on the ne'er-do-wells outside dealing drugs.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 169,165 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I may come round to nets again soon. I inherited v posh wooden venetian blinds in my living room and bedroom, and it's the living room where they're an issue. Exactly as you say, snoopers can very easily walk up to the window and look through - they can't through nets.

I do have a bit of leftover security film for one of the three sections. It lets through something like 95% of light, and would block the view from said nosey parker into my bathroom at the back of the house, when I leave the door open, oops.

I also have some voile, that used to be at the porch curtains, that I could use - not sure I'm going to do it, but I might well check that I know how to set it up, if you see what I mean. Might be a time when I need it pronto. Even during a holibob it might be useful ...
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 231,310 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've always thought it would be the fun to paint (or buy pre-printed) some kind of trompe l'oeil effect, so that what people saw from outside wasn't actually what was inside.

F'rinstance, I'm sure I saw somewhere in the media a feature on these printed panels you could stick on the outside of your garage door to make it look like the door was up and there was a fancypants car or a boat in there.

A prepper could go one further. You could have a garage attatched to your home with an up-and-over door. Door's up and it's wall-to-wall cluttery rubbishy stuff. Any passerby would think; Gordon Bennett, the Joneses are such a bunch of scuzzers, look at all that trash!

You could be the talk of the neighbourhood, everyone would know your garage was full of rubbish and not worth robbing. But, maybe you have one of those garages with a side door, and there's a false wall about 3 ft in from the up-and-over and it's covered with carp and all the good stuff is neatly behind.

We could market window films which showed that our homes were decorated in Early Poverty (to steal a line from crime writer Robert Crais) whilst peacefully living behind them however we wished.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• jk0
    • By jk0 11th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 25,134 Thanks
    jk0
    I'm just imagining that I would only need to take a photo of what's already in my house/garage to print outside to deter any burglars.

'Cluttery rubbishy stuff' sounds about right.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 11th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 33,411 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oh, I can out-"cluttery rubbishy stuff" anyone! Our garage door swings up to reveal all my stall infrastructure - folding plastic tables, folding shelves, pieces of clothing rail, a deconstructed projector screen (used to suspend & display kimonos on bamboo poles) and a vast quantity of "car boot-able" rubbish - "dead" stock from job-lots, old rugs, things that we as a household have outgrown or no longer need - so that anyone daft enough to lift the door in the first place would put it back down pretty sharpish in case they caused an avalanche!

The good stuff, of course, is behind all this - the freezer and the shelves full home-made jam & chutney! And quite often a clutch of fluffy bantams, too, sheltering from the rain.
    Angie

GC July 18 - lost the plot!
    Bulk-buy purse '18 145.26/250, pet & livestock food '18 131.45/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th May 18, 6:32 AM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 231,310 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Aww, I love bantams, my grandma used to have them for the house eggs, the chicken eggs were raised for Sainsbugs, who sent a lorry around once a week to collect them from cottagers like her and take them to the depot for packing. This was back in the 1950s btw, the banties stayed into the 1960s.

One year grandma, a no-nonsense countrywoman, bought 6 goslings to raise for the Christmas market. Well, five to go to market and one for their Xmas dinner. The one reserved for household use must have had exceptional charm, because it was kept on as a pet for years......

Grinning to think of the confessions of clutteriness. I deliberately keep piles of clutter on a shelf under the window of my allotment shed. As you peer through the net curtain (a cut-off from the one in my living room) you can glimpse teetering piles of tatty plastic flowerpots and bits of string and suchlike. If you peer through the side of the shed door after having levered off the edgemost tongue-and-groove (been done thrice now ) you can see a pile of buckets and carp and some handtools wrapped around with a chain. No villain has ever bothered to bust off the internal shed lock once they've seen the contents.

Had a bit of a moment last night, just before 23.30 - someone tried the handle of my brand-new door! How very dare they. I was awake but in bed and, if I'd had to get up and clock them one with the rolling pin, and then give a statement to the county's boys in blue, I would have been displeased in the extreme.

Perhaps the nitwit thought that, being uPVC-ish, meant I wouldn't have locked it from the inside. I was raised in a rather sketchy neighbourhood and we always did have the doors locked unless we were in the kitchen constantly, in which case the back door might be unlocked.

Random News; Wild Thing has gone back to being an outdoor cat (will be indoors again late Nov) and has shed her winter coat. She has taken at least one rat to our sure and certain knowledge and even The Queen of Sheba has killed one rat and one mouse. WT doesn't make any kind of fuss over her kills, you only know about it if you happen to see her with one. The Queen has a special look what I've caught! mew and brings them for inspection. Sometimes laying them on beds in the middle of the night. She seemed a tad disappointed that Dad didn't want to eat her rat.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 15,017 Posts
    • 144,406 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm sure somebody will have a nice recipe for stewed rat in pond water GQ.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 8:18 AM
    • 7,884 Posts
    • 23,485 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not pond water - Rat Au Van was Baldrick's signature dish as I understand it?!(Vin depending on whether there was anything left after the last dinner party.) If you want could-be samphire, (or some handy nearby water weed) to lend verisimilitude now, Mrs LW's your lass.

Himself is pondering bending tin strip into a cutter so we can serve Rat-on-a-Stick to like-minded souls at events. My limited experience suggests the legs will burn or fall off, but I have a large bottle of ketchup in hopeful readiness.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 231,310 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    C.M.O.T Dibbler will be jealous, DforV!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 7,884 Posts
    • 23,485 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Got to figure out how to make it work first. Burnt Crunchy Bits belong to mines not rats...

I could do with CMOTD's cashflow though. Got to admire the serial entrepreneur & I've a sneaky feeling he's actually got a fair wodge prepped away in case Vetinari is hit with an unexpected lurgy. I mean, he could order elephant loads of stuff from monks - he's got credit somewhere, somehow!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 5,627 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh GQ, that's scary about someone trying your door I hope it didn't keep you awake afterwards.
    Your story about the goslings reminds me of one of my favourite Giles cartoons - the family in their garden with a magnificent turkey, evidently having been bought to fatten up for Christmas; everyone glaring at the mother of the family, the youngest daughter with her arms protectively round the turkey's neck if I remember rightly, and the mother's saying "All right, by a show of hands Sebastian gets a reprieve - one of you go to the shop and get five tins of corned beef."
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th May 18, 10:46 AM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 169,165 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Erm, I'm lost ... cmotd? Vetinari? Heeelp!
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,366Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter