Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 397
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 45,618 Thanks
    maryb
    New Shadow just remembered something that we came across when my DD was househunting. She found a nice two bed terrace with a reasonable amount of garden, but not too much. We noticed there was a gap in the fence between her and the next door garden (she was end of terrace. When I looked at the documents it turned out that next door had a right of way through the middle of her garden in order to access their own garden and they would drag their bins out that way.

So watch out for that if you go for a terrace because I saw you put that you don't want to have to drag the bins through the house
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,635 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I guess I just need to remind myself that the houses that are on the market now might not be around, but there has constantly been around 5 or 6 houses in my target area within/below my rough budget and that waiting/being disciplined will let me get all the related logistics sorted.
    Originally posted by NewShadow
    Your reasons for the move make lots of sense, NS - and you're spot on about the point above. For now, I'd say maximise the returns on the money you've got saved - switching accounts, regular savers, anything you can.

I'd suggest looking for a house in an area that is "cabled up", so you can have fibre BB.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Absolutely!

New Shadow just remembered something that we came across when my DD was househunting. She found a nice two bed terrace with a reasonable amount of garden, but not too much. We noticed there was a gap in the fence between her and the next door garden (she was end of terrace. When I looked at the documents it turned out that next door had a right of way through the middle of her garden in order to access their own garden and they would drag their bins out that way.
    Originally posted by maryb
    This too. And watch out for signs of a neighbour feud: does your seller play music loudly so you can't hear next door? At one house I went to, a terrace like maryb mentioned, there was a very solid brick wall down one side of the (long) front garden. I commented how nice it was, and the EA replied that the seller had built it to shield from the neighbour. Then I noticed it was built three feet *inside* the property boundary!

Check the crime stats for the area - there's a map, showing levels, types and numbers of crimes, I think its run by the police.
    Retired August 2016
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 7th May 18, 1:49 PM
    • 10,246 Posts
    • 55,097 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Another gloriously sunny day hare, and thermometer reading 94f.

Unfortunately, I'm back to work tomorrow.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th May 18, 7:42 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We are cooking on the little hibachi barbeque in the garden and I haven't got rolls in BUT I did have some mashed potato in the fridge so I've made Potato Flat Breads with it. It's a Norwegian idea based on their LEFSA breads and they've turned out really well, brown and dotted like chapattis. A good thing to be able to make if you have no power and a good thing to make for a bread if you have no yeast or oven to cook a conventional loaf in.

Very tasty they were too! and the fresh grape chutney I made in a 10 minute cook with a wrinkly red onion, some old green and black grapes from the fridge that needed using up and some ingredients from the spice cupboard, we are well fed this evening!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 07-05-2018 at 8:19 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 8th May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,195 Thanks
    Cappella
    Sounds lovely MrsLW. I make potato farls and potato pastry quite often but never thought of using leftover mash in flatbreads. I assume they must be rolled very thinly?
    Kitchen here is just beginning to take shape. Canít wait for it to be finished and to work in it but have realised anew how very difficult life would be without a constant supply of running water. Even though we store plenty of bottled water itís amazed me how quickly weíve used it all. The new outside cold water tap is currently my very, very best friend here
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I got the spelling wrong it's LEFSE not LefsA, the dough is softer than a chapatti or tortilla dough so it's much easier to work with, roll it to pastry thickness and cook it in a hot dry pan until it browns and then turn it and brown the other side. The result is somewhere between a pancake and a chapatti, a soft bread that is easy to fold over fillings, really nice. I didn't follow a recipe but added enough S/R flour to the mashed potato to get a pastry like dough, divided it into 4 portions, kneaded each one as I wanted to cook it and rolled out to plate size with a rolling pin. Takes a few minutes for the first side to cook but less time for the second. I cooled them on a rack and we had them cold with supper, look up a recipe on the 'net or just play until you get something at the end of the process that you like xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 8th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4,986 Posts
    • 48,338 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Lyn......you just reminded me of the potato bread my late mother used to make when I was a child......she added bicarb and buttermilk or sour milk to the potato/plain flour and continued as she would with white soda bread.....was delicious with a fried egg or cheese......thanks for the happy memory.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,319 Thanks
    mardatha
    We're apparently getting a new kitchen sometime this summer, I need to think how to prep for that. Anybody had this done - how long does it take? The RV insists it will be 3 days but that seems a bit long to me..
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 10,246 Posts
    • 55,097 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I had a new kitchen and bathroom, courtesy of the Council.

The main bulk of the kitchen work did take about three days.

Of the first day, they ripped everything out, then reconnected the sink unit, standing it well off from the wall.

Day 2 saw the wiring redone, and the new units went in on the third day.

The finishing (tiling, redecorating, flooring etc.) was later in the week, but I was able use the kitchen in the meantime.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 9th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,195 Thanks
    Cappella
    MardathaIím just in the middle of having my kitchen replaced. Itís taking a lot longer than 3 days, though thatís probably because itís involved stripping the walls back to bare brick and replacing all the pipies and wiring. It only took a couple of days to have the new units fitted, but thereís still the tiling to be done and a new floor to be laid. Iíd say itís going to take about two weeks, but three days of that time involved no actual work being done, just letting the plaster dry thoroughly.
    In terms of prepping Iíd say have PLENTY of bottled water available. (I didnít have enough) and be prepared to use your microwave and toaster a lot unless youíre lucky enough to have the space for an outside kitchen. I preprepared my own cook and chill meals and made various salads, which sorted lunches and teas out easily as well. We had our bathroom replaced just over a month ago (my OH has very bad arthritis as well as Parkinsons and we had the bath taken out and replaced by a shower)/but Iím finding the kitchens a lot more difficult to work around longer term. Sorry Iím not being very helpful am I? Hope yours takes a much shorter time than ours is doing.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 18, 6:56 AM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    We're apparently getting a new kitchen sometime this summer, I need to think how to prep for that. Anybody had this done - how long does it take? The RV insists it will be 3 days but that seems a bit long to me..
    Originally posted by mardatha
    When kitchens are done here, folk have to sign that they understand it can take two weeks, normally it's 5-6 working days.

As BB says, the worst is over in about 3 days, but there are things which have to take the time they take like screeding floors and waiting for that to go off before re-tiling etc. And that's if they don't find anything horrendous in the proceedings, such as underfloor long-running water leaks.

Best advice is to look at where else in your home you can set up a mini-kitchen such as having the fridge/ freezer in there, a table with a microwave (if you have one) and kettle and neatly-ordered boxes of your foodstuffs. crocks etc.

Can you train the offsprings to deliver hot cooked meals for the duration?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th May 18, 8:06 AM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,319 Thanks
    mardatha
    It's a bit of a trek up here GQ and they all live around 20 miles away. Only the younger son has a car, other one has a bike and daughter uses the bus. Might persuade the RV to nip out and get me a fish supper though
    I was thinking of using the spare bedroom for a camp kitchen - what about water from the bathroom, either sink or bath - is that drinkable? Haven't got a microwave, might have to get one. And I can use the patio table & chairs that we never put out on the patio because it's either raining or blowing so hard they'd end up in Norway. At last a use for them
    Does anybody know if the cold water in the bathroom is from the mains?
    Last edited by mardatha; 10-05-2018 at 8:09 AM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 18, 8:14 AM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    All the cold water in your home will be coming off the rising main, including the supply to your WC cistern, and will be potable. Don't drink from hot water supply, tho, not wise. A microwave isn't expensive and could be a useful preptastic item after the upgrade, giving an additional bit of flexibility if the leccy's on but the gas bottle's run out. If I'd got a touch more space, I'd replace my defunct microwave, but it isn't critical and I need the countertop badly.

I'm about to lose my front door! Got a workie here atm (he's been tea'd up, of course ) and he's about to detach my front door and replace it with a new one. Bit nervy being doorless in this dodgy neighbourhood but I'm going to be making soup. With a BIG knife in my hand, mwah ha ha!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,319 Thanks
    mardatha
    Nevermind the knife GQ - stand at the door with the bow n arrows!! That'll worry them!! Ok so it will seriously traumatise the joiner fitting the door too... but think of the story he'll have to tell
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Nevermind the knife GQ - stand at the door with the bow n arrows!! That'll worry them!! Ok so it will seriously traumatise the joiner fitting the door too... but think of the story he'll have to tell
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Bad Mad Arthur!

We're chilled and listening to some oldie radio station, classic rock. All good. It's taken me 50 minutes to carve up the biggest butternut squash from last autumn's harvest, this domestic malarkey is hard work, innit? Be glad to get back to w*rk tomorrow for a rest!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 57,904 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hope you'll be happy with the new door GQ

DD and DSIL were meant to have a new kitchen in their HA house earlier this year, and were so pleased.
    When the people from the HA came to discuss it, DD was out but DSIL was home; he is registered blind, so he explained to them that the new kitchen would need to be configured exactly the same as the old one, otherwise he wouldn't be able to manage. They said that couldn't be done, because of Elf'n'safety. So DD and DSIL had to "reject" the new kitchen. I don't know what the safety problem was though. No one in the family has ever hurt themselves in that kitchen.
    I've suggested they ask for just a new sink unit, as that really does need replacing. DD said she'll think about that when she can face it
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 10th May 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Hope you'll be happy with the new door GQ

DD and DSIL were meant to have a new kitchen in their HA house earlier this year, and were so pleased.
    When the people from the HA came to discuss it, DD was out but DSIL was home; he is registered blind, so he explained to them that the new kitchen would need to be configured exactly the same as the old one, otherwise he wouldn't be able to manage. They said that couldn't be done, because of Elf'n'safety. So DD and DSIL had to "reject" the new kitchen. I don't know what the safety problem was though. No one in the family has ever hurt themselves in that kitchen.
    I've suggested they ask for just a new sink unit, as that really does need replacing. DD said she'll think about that when she can face it
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Council did our kitchen, OH is blind, had no problem having it done the same way. Different areas must have different rules. Only thing moved was one light switch.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sorry to hear about your family's troubles, ivyleaf.

I've twice turned down a new kitchen in this flat, although mine is 40 years old - well, the counters have been renewed in the last two decades, but that's the age of the cupboards. My reasoning is simple; they'd take two of my wall units away. One would go so they could put an extractor fan in its place. The fans are compulsory, although it would be right beside a window which is always ajar when I'm cooking. The other wall unit is apparently too close to the cooker space to be compliant with modern regs and wouldn't be 'allowed' now so would have nothing up that corner.

Since one cupboard holds all the crockery and the other all the food, and the other cupboards (a 6 ft run but only 11 inches deep) aren't adequate to hold my stuff, losing these two would make my domestic life virtually impossible. Kitchen is only 6 x 6 ft so there's very hard limits on what you can do with a space which also holds a stove, a w.m and a fridge.

You can't put a quart into a pint pot, and I speak as a Tetris Grandmistress, who can put all sorts of things into unlikely spaces - you'd be gobsmacked to see what I can pack into a car or a van.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 7,698 Posts
    • 22,268 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    If ever a situation called for prepping, having one's kitchen "done" definitely counts.
    We had two whole floors done, and left the team to it while I hauled the entire family (husband & then 3 under 10) around England, Scotland & Wales, Visiting Relatives. We got back after an exhausting three weeks to find water & power were intermittent as works continued & the builders were so afraid of accidentally damaging a toddler they "put us up" in a travel lodge for another week. Which will have dented their profit margin but taught us pretty much every meal you can make with boiling water & limited washing up facilities. The lads still love PotNoodle whereas I prefer a proper Spag Bol with all the flavours!

If it all starts getting distinctly rainy, I should apologise. I abided by St.Martin's advice, hit the poundshops for sunscreen (such as had any left) & have issued the chaps each with a tube of their own. Now we are equipped for sun, I foresee abundant rain.... (Happily all the winter coats have been washed & reproofed - hurrah for Nikwax.)
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 45,618 Thanks
    maryb
    Not all houses have all their cold water taps fed from the rising main. Our upstairs taps and loos were fed from a tank in the attic. Which sprang a leak. And which took a week before it could be replaced. Fortunately one loo downstairs is fed from the main and I had a shower at the gym
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin