Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 388
    • Lindlou
    • By Lindlou 14th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    Lindlou
    Thanks Nargleblast.....sadly I can't see that option. Feel sure I've used it before but can't find it now....so frustrating.
    Never, ever give up........
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Apr 18, 11:24 PM
    • 10,196 Posts
    • 54,773 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    It's at the very bottom of the list, on the left of the screen.

Look for "Forum Version Manager", and click on the link called "Manage Version".
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 11,544 Posts
    • 160,745 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    There is some suggestion in the media that as retaliation for the Syrian air strikes that some cyber warfare is likely over the next few weeks, and opinion is that perhaps it will be the utilities gas and electricity, the NHS again, the Banking sector or even shutting down the water supply availability or any combination thereof. Time perhaps to take stock of amounts stored and cash stashes along with water supplies, extra gas cannisters for stoves, solar lighting and medications just in case and top up if you need to. Those interesting times we're told exist may just turn out to be right now so we'll be ready for they won't we?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 15th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 10,196 Posts
    • 54,773 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Time perhaps to take stock of amounts stored and cash stashes along with water supplies, extra gas canisters for stoves, solar lighting and medications just in case and top up if you need to.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I'd like to think we're all up to date on the above, but better to be safe than sorry.

Managed to find a suitable gas mantle, for testing my Geiger Counter.

Most, nowadays, boast "non-radioactive", but this one didn't, and I'm happy to announce it has my Geiger Counter ticking away merrily.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 15-04-2018 at 5:38 PM.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 15th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 10,196 Posts
    • 54,773 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    The heavens opened a couple of hours ago, and absolutely drenched the place.

• AnimalTribe
    • By AnimalTribe 16th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    AnimalTribe
    I've just managed to catch up with the thread. Regarding the query about medicinal supplies I suggest a temporary dental repair kit/dental first aid kit. Boots, Sainsbury's, Morrison's have them, but I'm sure other places probably do them more cheaply.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 11,825 Posts
    • 73,807 Thanks
    kittie
    I used to use a real geiger counter and took some souvenir volcanic rock in to test, it came from iceland, I picked some when I went on holiday. The count rate went up to ballistic

I went to get cash today, at least that is sorted. I can see electronic tills packing up but the corner shops will carry on via the os pencil and paper way. I can also see fuel pumps packing up, I have a bike, will travel and it will be safer
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 29,004 Posts
    • 165,108 Thanks
    Karmacat
    There is some suggestion in the media that as retaliation for the Syrian air strikes that some cyber warfare is likely over the next few weeks, and opinion is that perhaps it will be the utilities gas and electricity, the NHS again, the Banking sector or even shutting down the water supply availability or any combination thereof. Time perhaps to take stock of amounts stored and cash stashes along with water supplies, extra gas cannisters for stoves, solar lighting and medications just in case and top up if you need to. Those interesting times we're told exist may just turn out to be right now so we'll be ready for they won't we?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    The other thing I was thinking of in relation to cyberattacks sounds frivolous, but on an individual level it could be really painful - if you've only got an email proving a payment, or proving a booking of some kind, it might be best to print it out, in case your email goes out for any length of time.

I'm actually thinking about my holiday booked in June - I've got lots and lots of emails, but no paper at all. Which I'd usually be glad of, but right now, it feels like it might become a problem. There's the holiday company, the insurance company, the day trip people, the train to get there, and the hotel the night before.
    Retired August 2016
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 7,593 Posts
    • 21,698 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Regarding the query about medicinal supplies I suggest a temporary dental repair kit/dental first aid kit. Boots, Sainsbury's, Morrison's have them, but I'm sure other places probably do them more cheaply.
    Originally posted by AnimalTribe
    I'd be minded to hunt this tome down Where There Is No Dentist which whilst written to be used in the third world is still helpful info in the 1st. Although a dentist forumite says the drawings are not much cop, the words are spot on.
    (Offhand, I believe oil of cloves is as near a magical ingredient as you'll get, but a knocked out tooth can stay in a tumbler of milk and be successfully "reinstalled" - but aim to get the tooth back into place in 30 minutes if at all possible.)

No surprise there is a companion vol Where There Is No Doctor downloadable (link to African version) which has saved a lot of lives & is MSF's default handout to anyone who can read & run a local clinic. In a range of languages & updated.

I really do not want to study up on Where There Is No Midwife(In India), but it's there as well if you feel the need.

It's all several miles beyond first aid at work, but it might come in handy in some appalling mix of circumstances.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 17-04-2018 at 1:28 PM.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 16th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 10,196 Posts
    • 54,773 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I used to use a real geiger counter
    Originally posted by kittie
    In what way is mine not a "real" Geiger Counter

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    • 29,004 Posts
    • 165,108 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've just managed to catch up with the thread. Regarding the query about medicinal supplies I suggest a temporary dental repair kit/dental first aid kit. Boots, Sainsbury's, Morrison's have them, but I'm sure other places probably do them more cheaply.
    Originally posted by AnimalTribe
    Thanks for that, AT, the query was from me. I have a couple of sets - I bought a set from Poundland in a hurry, and then a better quality set from ebay. Might replace the actual dental putty, or whatever its called, it could be a bit iffy by now!
    Retired August 2016
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 17th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    pineapple
    Re cyber there have been claims that computer systems are already being targetted including domestic.
    So aside from getting in the usual cash and supplies, I would beef up home computer security and back up info. Plus so much of my info is online these days, I'm actually putting some stuff down on paper
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 14,746 Posts
    • 140,325 Thanks
    mardatha
    I have everything on paper pineapple. Not because I'm the World's Greatest Prepper - just because I'm old and that's how I do things
    Cyber attacks might hit the NHS again - maybe we should stash some prescription meds. I have a lot stashed
    The other thing that I'm concerned about is water. IF the elect went off for long, or if they targeted the water treatment centres, then no water for us. And imagine how quickly shelves of bottled water would empty in the shops....
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 11,825 Posts
    • 73,807 Thanks
    kittie
    just saying, oilseed rape in the field behind the orchard is almost fully yellow, it will be fully open in a day or so and the warmer weather will make the VOCs, terpenes, rise and spread. These are what causes allergic reactions in certain people, you are likely to smell that very dense scent in a couple of days. It isn`t the pollen, which is heavy and falls close. I would make sure that anti-histamines are available. I always keep a box in a drawer and in my bike bag. I am not allergic but had a bumble bee sting in my mouth once, an anti-histamine at home quickly sorted the swelling but I always carry them since

I have already put my filter systems on, in the bedroom and living room and tonight will be closing vents on that side of the house
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 95,976 Thanks
    fuddle
    DD was stung by a wasp last year. I didn't carry antihistamines as the hayfever season had ended but because she hadn't been stung before I was worried about her reacting to the sting. Cue one very worried mam running half a mile up hill to get home. I started with chest pains almost immediately - that running caused heart failure. The we didn't know at the time but with hindsight it's probably what happens when the auld ticker had been inflamed for the year previous.

The moral of the story is carry antihistamines but bigger than that I believe I had a guardian angel that day. If it wasn't for a harmless threat to my child I never would have pushed myself beyond my physical limit and wouldn't know about some heart issues I have. Had I been prepared properly I may still never know, ignorant an causing more damage. Funny old world!
    Last edited by fuddle; 17-04-2018 at 5:43 PM.
    Please don't judge my story by the chapter that you walked in on.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 17th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 10,196 Posts
    • 54,773 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    IF the elect went off for long, or if they targeted the water treatment centres, then no water for us.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    That's why I have stored water.

• kittie
    • By kittie 18th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 11,825 Posts
    • 73,807 Thanks
    kittie
    It is normally the second or later sting fuddle, the first one tells the body that it is the enemy. However most people are not allergic to wasp stings, don`t worry

Sitting here with sunscreen on, perfect weather for me to get these big rendered retaining walls painted. I am prepped and ready, just waiting for the paint, which could well arrive too late for today. I know I will do a good job, I have very safe ladders and am always careful and will save 200+ just got to move the gravel back from the walls and I am done with prep. Perfect weather and I am excited to get it done.

The swallows are back, heard them this morning
    • Cocketts
    • By Cocketts 18th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Cocketts
    I saw the first two swallows too!!!
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 18th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    juliettet
    Fuddle,

Kittie is right. I was stung a year ago by a wasp. (First time in 56 years!). It was not painful and not even a mark. In the next couple of weeks I was stung twice more. Very painful and my foot swelled enough for me to go to the doctor. Took antihistamines but was a while before I could get a sandal on. Now I avoid them when I can.
    • Mdreams
    • By Mdreams 18th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Mdreams
    Google Rationing it got us through our " Our Darkest Hour " @BrantonUnited #NewAdvice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin