Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 387
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 28,962 Posts
    • 164,721 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Never heard of swagbucks but I do surveys for one site and take my points as Amazon vouchers. Nice little perk! Unfortunately I seem to get less and less surveys as I get older. I suspect it's because I am no longer in the 'frequent buyer demographic' - in fact not much of a consumer at all.
    I do find the questions more and more difficult. How the heck do I rate the comparative value of a pink giraffe fridge magnet (made up example) if such products aren't even on my radar?
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I'm no consumer either, pineapple - sometimes they say "even if you're not a customer", but other times I might think of what a niece or a nephew has said to me, and answer as if I was them.

The only time we get an appearance from the law in the village is when it is nearby Appleby Fair week. Those errant sheep, marauding hens and wandering ducks can be a bit of a handful though
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Wonderful
    Retired August 2016
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 15,301 Posts
    • 42,679 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    But what can you do when you don't have a body, Money?

I thought that was the reason we feel compelled to keep coming back here?
    Originally posted by jk0
    Manage perfectly well without it - and all the problems that come with having one. No health problems, no looks problems, no having to have a house, etc, etc.

As far as I can make out it seems to be the case we can still go in for various physical pleasures if we choose to - eg sitting down to a nice meal/having a home of our own/etc etc. Though we'd probably not bother after a while - because of not needing to eat a meal again or whatever....
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 7,573 Posts
    • 21,605 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm compelled to come back to this forum out of curiosity.

What'll happen to me when I am so many atoms, I'm not sure but I hope I'll have time to enjoy Tom Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together When We Go" one more time.

As for the afterlife, I'm rather hoping some benevolent deity (and if an Aunt has taken promotion, I'm fine with that) will leave a gate unlocked rather than condemn me to eternal trying to start a fire in front of an audience of curious scouts. Or whatever seems appropriate. (I suspect Purgatory is life as we know but every meal is peas when you can smell the bacon [/insert foodstuff to taste] cooking somewhere.)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 11,523 Posts
    • 160,467 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    If I have to go before my time someone somewhere is damned well going to get an earful and know about it afterwards!!! Atoms or not, I'll give 'em hell!!!

Tom Lehrer's 'Poisoning Pigeons in the Park' for me please! I like peas!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 13-04-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • daz378
    • By daz378 13th Apr 18, 9:43 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 6,564 Thanks
    daz378
    hello bought my ticket to L.A but comprehensive travel insurance cost me 160 pound for 2 week each ailment i admitted was a kching moment worth for peace of mind . still looking forward to a couple of week off take care
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Apr 18, 8:18 AM
    • 11,523 Posts
    • 160,467 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well Mr Trump Sir has finally got the fight he's been drooling for, what bleak news to wake up to this morning and he's talked Mrs May and Monsieur Macron into joining him. I hope this is not another case of being talked into action on falsehoods I remember Mr. Blair Sir and Iraq with crystal clarity and all the fall out from that when it proved there weren't weapons of mass destruction after all and that the whole shebang was falsehoods and duplicity. I hope very much that this is a one off action, that it doesn't escalate in any way and that someone somewhere can find the right words and reasons to stop things from ratcheting up into a war or any kind.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Apr 18, 8:19 AM
    • 11,749 Posts
    • 226,768 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A dear pal and I (and he is north of seventy and at an age where he is attending many a friend's funeral each year) both describe ourselves as militant atheists.

Beliefs are just electirical discharges across across a bunch of cholestoral-rich tissue lodged between your ears. When the discharges cease across your little grey cells, so do your beliefs.

My personal belief is that I am a bunch of random atoms temporarily aggregated into a human being, which will have been part of other organisms in the past, and will be the part of other organisms in the future. I'm cool with that.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 11,523 Posts
    • 160,467 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    GQ that's actually a very comforting thought, perhaps that's what reincarnation really is? whatever the actuality thank you xxx.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 11,749 Posts
    • 226,768 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ that's actually a very comforting thought, perhaps that's what reincarnation really is? whatever the actuality thank you xxx.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    My pleasure. I find it comforting, too. We're just animals using cells on loan, our bodies are actually mostly comprised of bacteria which are lodged in our guts. I like thinking of myself as a supertanker with a cargo hold full of critters, a universe on the move.

Means far more to me than some misogynistic beardy sky god dreamed up by pastoralists in the middle east, frankly.

Now, having (possibly) given gratutious offence to the pious before it's even 9 am, I must avaunt to the allotment, where I shall garden without harming worms or centipedes.

I reserve the kill-on-sight habit for slugs & snails, one should only take this wheel of life stuff so far, y'know?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 14,728 Posts
    • 140,087 Thanks
    mardatha
    I like the idea of reincarnation. Sort of recycling of souls.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Apr 18, 9:08 AM
    • 7,573 Posts
    • 21,605 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Presuming GQ returns safe & whole, we will have proof "heresy" isn't fatal. (You can't include the US occupant of the white place, there are ongoing doubts as to animal vegetable or mineral let alone *useful* atoms.) Indeed I'd hesitate to have him near an allotment lest he contaminate things, but perhaps GQ would form a view & take robust edged metal action.

Meanwhile I am struggling to prep for the Waitrose removal of disposable cups - an idea I wholeheartedly agree with so long as the very-nearly-free coffee continues - & am thus seeking a metal, insulated, genuinely can be sealed shut cup (once mostly empty) that I can lug around.
    There are an assortment of ecofriendly things, collapsible things(!), even Designer things but I want something that won't let the remaining froth trickle into the rest of my bag that will withstand the usual rigours of life & Can Be Patched - nothing too fragile-plastic in the lid department. (I do carry a length of Gaffer tape.)
    Has anyone experience of something robust & effective & from where I might hope to source another?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 95,834 Thanks
    fuddle
    A dear pal and I (and he is north of seventy and at an age where he is attending many a friend's funeral each year) both describe ourselves as militant atheists.

Beliefs are just electirical discharges across across a bunch of cholestoral-rich tissue lodged between your ears. When the discharges cease across your little grey cells, so do your beliefs.

My personal belief is that I am a bunch of random atoms temporarily aggregated into a human being, which will have been part of other organisms in the past, and will be the part of other organisms in the future. I'm cool with that.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    My belief too I wish to be scattered amongst the base of an oak tree (my favourite wood that I have in my home) and be used by that tree to live on, providing goodness for other living organisms... it's likely a pipe dream though, given this mornings news. Great *sarcasm.
    Please don't judge my story by the chapter that you walked in on.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 14th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 4,788 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    DfV, Tesco do a small 500ml stainless steel double walled flask for 4.50. I have found it perfectly good for keeping hot drinks hot for up to 6 hours. It has never leaked. Other makes are available, of course, but the Tesco one is a good price. In winter if I'm going for a longer outing, it fits into an old woolly hiking sock which keeps it hot for longer than just a few hours.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 10,187 Posts
    • 54,700 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    DfV, Tesco do a small 500ml stainless steel double walled flask for 4.50.
    Originally posted by WeeMidgie
    Home Bargains do one for 2-99.

https://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/1973-insulated-travel-flask-500ml.aspx
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 10,187 Posts
    • 54,700 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Managed to find a bowl made of "vaseline glass", with which to test my Geiger Counter.

My Geiger Counter is currently ticking away at ~ 1.1 USV/h.

Regarding the conflict over Syria, I'm less concerned about the potential for WW3, and more about the possibility of Russia cutting off the gas supply.

Might be time to review our prepping stocks, especially the heating/cooking/lighting ones.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 14-04-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • herbily
    • By herbily 14th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    herbily
    Bob, re the Geiger counter - apparently smoke alarms contain something that's slightly radioactive (americium), as do carbon monoxide alarms - don't know if you've got one of those you could test?

(I only know this from watching a TV programme about a teenager building a nuclear reactor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn)
    One day at a time...
    • herbily
    • By herbily 14th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    herbily
    Whoops, just read back over yesterday, of course you've tested the smoke alarm - tried to edit my post but it wouldn't let me. Sorry for not reading full thread first!
    One day at a time...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 28,962 Posts
    • 164,721 Thanks
    Karmacat
    We're just animals using cells on loan, our bodies are actually mostly comprised of bacteria which are lodged in our guts. I like thinking of myself as a supertanker with a cargo hold full of critters, a universe on the move.

Means far more to me than some misogynistic beardy sky god dreamed up by pastoralists in the middle east, frankly.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I like the idea of reincarnation. Sort of recycling of souls.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Also, we are star stuff! That's not just hippy dippy, it's utter truth. Every element in our bodies beyond hydrogen and helium, up to iron (element no. 37) was made in stars and whooshed out all over the galaxy the star belongs to, to coalesce into other stars, or planets, or us. And here we are

Loving the idea of reincarnation as recycling of souls, btw
    Retired August 2016
    • Lindlou
    • By Lindlou 14th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    Lindlou
    I've gone green !!!55358;!!!56592;...does anyone know how as I get the blue format back?,
    Never, ever give up........
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 14th Apr 18, 8:25 PM
    • 9,047 Posts
    • 57,056 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    If you go on to User CP there should be an option Manage Forum Version.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,166Posts Today

6,236Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin