Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 385
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 18,941 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    You are not the only one Dig for victory. My son used to line up nicely when my little dogs were going to have a bonio and he has perfect teeth now at 27. Not sure if that's about the bonios though.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 10,246 Posts
    • 55,097 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    When my friend went on a diabetes patient course the class were told "If you're having a really bad day and you're absolutely desperate for a Mars bar - Have a Mars bar. Otherwise you'll end up eating all sorts of other inadvisable stuff and probably end up having the Mars bar anyway and feeling like a failure."
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Thing is, my blood-sugar readings have been so good, that I don't want to muck them up over a chocolate bar.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    Tucker Carlson Goes on Epic Rant Against War in Syria
    What he says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=297&v=U0niyl-vDBk
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,319 Thanks
    mardatha
    Anybody else think that WW3 is edging ever closer? With a few of the world leaders seemingly hell-bent on stirring up trouble..
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Apr 18, 5:40 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,424 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Anybody else think that WW3 is edging ever closer? With a few of the world leaders seemingly hell-bent on stirring up trouble..
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Trump's a bona fide nutter. Let's hope someone sections him asap..........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Dust off those colanders, dig out the tin foil and sharpen up those tooth brushes, wouldn't like not to be ready!

The trouble with those in charge is they are big men with tiny minds who are hell bent on getting their own way regardless of the consequences to the rest of humanity. That kind of egoism verges on insanity and people vote for them because they believe the spoutings during the election campaigns, I think mankind has shot itself collectively in the foot this time!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 11-04-2018 at 5:47 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    There used to be a standing joke on the David Icke site - 'Time to bring in the tomato plants' - except this time they might be right.
    That said I don't think any world leader has the stomach for all out war - certainly not nuclear.
    Probably any trouble will be limited to that area. Warnings re that airspace gone out already
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/eu-air-traffic-control-agency-warns-flights-syria-180411053821807.html
    The thing is, Trump with his threats may have backed himself into a corner.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/11/kremlin-us-strike-against-syria-heighten-instability
    Last edited by pineapple; 11-04-2018 at 6:12 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    If there was a deep enough hole in the corner that would be justice wouldn't it? and I don't mean a nuclear bunker, just a good deep pit, 'nuf said!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    and if it does happen then we ain`t got a chance so I am not thinking about it and no point in worrying. Remember cuba?

MrsLW, how is the house moving going? Nothing here at all, viewed 6 and discarded all of them. Not viewing any more, will just wait for RM to send alerts. At least I know what area I want, one close to home or one an hour away and much closer to dd. I have learnt a lot about estate agents, especially the pushy male ones. They must think anyone with granny looks was born under a gooseberry bush. I inwardly laugh and get them to turn room lights off, to see how dark the property is
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Nothing moving here either and the house we were accepted on has told us that half of their neighbours garden has been sold to a builder who will put 'housing of some kind' on it so we've reluctantly dropped out. Bless the lovely folks selling though as they've been open, honest and honourable over everything and actually said if they'd been buying and it had happened to them they would have dropped out too. I'm sad on two fronts because firstly I loved the house and secondly it will leave them in such a difficult position until they know if the site will be a bungalow or a two storey house, lapsed planning permission on the plot had a building 2.3 meters from the boundary wall right beside the existing house we were buying. Back to the starting line for us then and no one else viewing here.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 18, 7:38 PM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    Oh I am sorry mrsLW, these builders will be trying to get the maximum out of a plot, wouldn`t be surprised if it was 6 apartments in a building. You need eyes in the back of your head, everywhere has developments and planning in the pipeline. Look at village websites and their newsletters and then look at the council planning applications. I have found several `hidden` applications for new dense developments. I spent a lot of tiring time on research the last few weeks
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    There WILL be a house somewhere that will be what we want and there WILL be a buyer for ours, hopefully they will come at optimum time into our lives and we'll move. Until then it will be on with the searching and on with the waiting won't it? I'd rather it be like that than make a mistake or find out about the plot being sold the week after we'd moved into somewhere new. It will happen in it's own time and so will yours Kittie, onwards and upwards as they say!!!

The world is a very uncertain place these days with rather unsavoury people in positions of power who seem to have no other vision in sight than maintaining their own standings in which ever hierarchy they are at the top of at whatever cost to anyone else. All we can do is prepare in our own individual ways for what we guess may happen and hope it doesn't!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 10,246 Posts
    • 55,097 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    They tried to deliver my Geiger Counter today.

It'll be at my local post office from tomorrow.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Apr 18, 7:02 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Can I ask BOB what use your Geiger counter will be? it will give you readings but will you be able to do anything about what it tells you that will help keep you safe?
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th Apr 18, 10:23 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    Can I ask BOB what use your Geiger counter will be? it will give you readings but will you be able to do anything about what it tells you that will help keep you safe?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Maybe BOB was joking. But if not, we expect a pic as is his wont
    Actually I think a Geiger counter would be a useful bit of kit. Remember Chernobyl? I was out walking in the rain when the radiation passed over us. If I had known then what I know now, I'd have least have kept indoors for a while. In fact I did seriously think about it after Fukushima. Yes if we got a direct hit all the Geiger counters in the world wouldn't help. But if there was to be increased but not immediately lethal radiation, then knowing the levels would help. Because there are lifestyle measures as well as medication which will help your body cope.
    It's not for everyone of course but I'm one of those who prefers to know what's going on. It means I can prepare myself either way.
    Edit - imo this is no more/less silly than leaving your home with a bug out bag every day and a host of other precautionary measures posters here have taken. Not all of these are for me but I wouldn't criticise. 'Horses for courses' and all that.
    Last edited by pineapple; 12-04-2018 at 2:50 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,635 Thanks
    Karmacat
    As part of working on my house to make everything more accessible for me now I've retired, and also integrating some of my mum's stuff, I've been exploring my medical/first aid supplies - and I use the word "exploring" advisedly

Everything is everywhere! I still haven't put away, but I've finished sorting, which is a relief, and found a load of stuff I didn't know I had, or had forgotten where I stored it. I have 2 or 3 24 litre plastic crates which seems a lot, but an astonishing amount is painkiller storage, boxes I bought when I was really struggling, but I stopped struggling before I'd used half of them

What do people generally store, for first aid/medical stuff? I have a lot of wound dressings - I had a cyst a few years ago which absolutely converted me to having *loads* of them. Pain relief, hay fever relief, anti-inflammatories, OTC sleeping aids, bandages, disinfectant, loads and loads of cough sweets (ug, I remember needing them so badly, and out of date have a nasty texture, I might start using these as breath fresheners ) ... does anybody have anything far out, that I could use Amazon vouchers for? This has all piqued my interest!
    Retired August 2016
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    does anybody have anything far out, that I could use Amazon vouchers for? This has all piqued my interest!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I had an eye injury recently and the pharmacist gave me a proprietary eye wash - which she admitted was just witch hazel! I don't know the dilution so careful with that, but I think witch hazel is useful anyway. Plus I have some medical grade manuka honey ointment and betadine/iodine. Not sure but I think I got them on Amazon. Plus I think I have some burns ointment somewhere - check out Aloe Vera for burns.
    Last edited by pineapple; 12-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,319 Thanks
    mardatha
    If I had spare money the one thing I would love is night sight binoculars. Very handy!
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    If I had spare money the one thing I would love is night sight binoculars. Very handy!
    Admit it - you just want to perv on the neighbours!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,635 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I had an eye injury recently and the pharmacist gave me a proprietary eye wash - which she admitted was just witch hazel! I don't know the dilution so careful with that, but I think witch hazel is useful anyway. Plus I have some medical grade manuka honey ointment and betadine/iodine. Not sure but I think I got them on Amazon. Plus I think I have some burns ointment somewhere - check out Aloe Vera for burns.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Thanks for that pineapple - I have witchhazel and iodine, I had to order both of them in from a local branch of Lloyds pharmacy. Don't have any medical grade manuka honey, just ordinary honey in the storecupboard. I'm going back to organic honey when my stock has gone down, so that might be good enough. I have burns dressing, though not ointment - I do have a lot of aloe vera *plants* though . I'll research the commercial ointments. Probably need lots more dressings, actually.

Ooh! Now then! You've got me thinking there. I agree, in bad times, they could be really interesting

Admit it - you just want to perv on the neighbours!
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I don't think Mar has any neighbours close enough to perve on I do, mind you

I have a Russian-made monocular, bought at an astronomy fair years ago in Kensington Town Hall, once used for bird watching. I'm sure it doesn't have night sight on it, but it might be fun having a play with it, in any case
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin