PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    DfV, if you're anything like me, you'll spend the first twenty minutes of any wheel-spinning session wondering what the heck has happened to your wheel. Maybe it's broken, maybe it's set up all wrong, does it need a spot of oil, etc. etc.. Then mysteriously it seems to settle down & you're back in the swing of it & your yarn is passable again! I actually prefer spindle spinning, but it's easier to wheel-spin if it's in the evening & my legs are tired & I want to sit down.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I wonder if there's been a study on the comparison between the carbon released from burning coal and the carbon released when burning wood that has been grown, processed and then transported round the globe to where it will be burned to produce electricity? The real answer of course is to reduce our consumption of electricity en masse and to insulate our homes properly, be aware of how long we spend under a shower, how much electricity is consumed by leaving things on standby, how many gadgets we all have that are powered by electricity etc. etc. IF we all used less, put on an extra couple of layers instead of running our homes so warm, had less of an obsession with showering/bathing at least once a day and learned (as our forebears did) to wear our clothes more than once before automatically throwing them into the washing machine and then the rumble drier every time we might, only might slow global warming and leave this poor planet in a better state for our children and grandchildren. The global economy wouldn't like that though, not so much profit for the big power suppliers and their shareholders, oh deary me, how sad that would be!!!

The sad fact is that all economising / fewer tumble drier loads / economic cars / taking the train and so forth are wiped out many times over by ONE flight.

I just did this

http://footprint.wwf.org.uk

Food, home, stuff - i am not too bad. Travel was :eek: we hardly use the car, travelling nearly everywhere by train or on foot / bicycle. but 2 European and 1 long haul flight put my total at 125% of my share :eek: 60% of my carbon footprint in 3 flights....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Maybe add 'all of humanity fly less often' to the list of alterations to lifestyle? I doubt most people are even a tiny smidgeon aware of how their life choices impact on the climate and even less of them will care!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p My carbon footprint is 69 % but then I don't get out much. :p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    Maybe add 'all of humanity fly less often' to the list of alterations to lifestyle? I doubt most people are even a tiny smidgeon aware of how their life choices impact on the climate and even less of them will care!

Yep, or they don't care. (Edit: oops sorry, you said they don't care..)

I am worse though - i do know, i do care....

but I still do it.:o

And all the other concessions (train, walking, not tumble drying, buying local, using up, buying less stuff and most of that from chazzers) doesn't make up for it.

:(

I think I'd better think it out again.....
  • We do the token planting of trees somewhere whenever we fly and I'm between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the ethics of flying because I KNOW it's polluting and yet I still absolutely love flying. I love that amazing moment as the wheels leave the runway and you realise you're airborne and being above the clouds in that white cotton wool mountain world in the sunshine or when we fly at night and the world beneath us is made up of twinkling lights like the biggest Christmas decoration ever made, it's beautiful, sad aren't we?
  • VJsmum
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p My carbon footprint is 69 % but then I don't get out much. :p

Can i have your bit then ;)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I flew to Berlin with gf earlier this month. First flight for about 15 years in my case. Flights were pleasant and on time, but my poor ears! The right one is still popping now. GF is not pleased to hear we will be taking the boat for our next trip. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Can i have your bit then ;)
    :) You would be most welcome to it.

My fridge has just died on me. Having played this game five years ago, I know that it costs a minimum of £60 to get a repair person to darken one's door and that is only the start of it. Assuming you can find a repairman, which isn't easy.

As there seems to have been a leakage of summat (coolant?) from the back wall of the fridge downwards, I am deciding this is a dead appliance and that it will be replaced shortly.

Prolly looking at a week in a fridge-less condition but am not phased as have lived for years at a time without one and know how to manage.

Helpfully, what a lot of people think is my fridge-freezer is actually a small table-top freezer roosting on the top of an ordinary fridge, so I am not completely without chilly options.

I am also a mere five minutes' walk from two small supermarkets, which helps a lot.

:eek: OK, coming into a Bank Holiday weekend and in the last 24 hours I've had to sort out a drainage problem and then the fridge died, wonder what the third item of the set will be? :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you get a few ice cream tubs full of water & freeze them GQ, you can turn your broken fridge into a cool box. Just swap the melted tubs for frozen tubs every 12 hours.

BTW, have you thought of enquiring at the local tip whether someone has dropped off a working fridge when replacing it with a Fridge freezer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure