Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 364
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    You know GQ, you mentioning SOS Talisman has struck a chord.

I have the strangest feeling, that there's one in the house, somewhere.

Now if I can just remember where it is.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,853 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for the pic of the hospital bag, Bob - and your allotment tales already, GQ, I'm glad of it I *so* wanted to do a hospital bag, I think its a really good idea, but I'm submerged in photos and the scanning of
    Retired August 2016
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Well that's it, all packed, save for the money and list of important phone numbers.

Only just got it all in.

The only empty pocket, is the large one on the front of the bag.

EDIT: Large pocket now contains heavy duty carrier bag.

Also added sleep mask.

Attached luggage tag, with important medical data.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 13-03-2018 at 11:47 AM.

• jk0
    • By jk0 12th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    Afternote.com
    I just read about Afternote in the paper today. Among other things, you can leave messages for loved ones to receive after your death. I signed up and tried to write a message, but started blubbing.

The mad thing is that you have to leave the details of three trustees who will carry out your wishes and they have to be members of Afternote also.

My relatives would moan about that, and say I was trying to see them off also!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Not particularly related to Bedsit Bob's post but it might be worth getting one of these http://www.lions105sw.org.uk/district-projects/message-in-a-bottle/, to keep in the fridge, they come with a sticker to place on the front door, especially if anyone live on their own.
    Originally posted by Bigjenny
    Very clever idea.

I'll ask at boots tomorrow.

• Princess kate
    • By Princess kate 12th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 3,841 Thanks
    Princess kate
    Bob, how about a carrier bag for dirty clothes or an easy way to carry anything else? Cereal bar, bottle of water? Notebook and pen.

Has everyone heard the Beast from the East is due back this weekend!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Bob, how about a carrier bag for dirty clothes or an easy way to carry anything else?
    Originally posted by Princess kate
    There won't be much by way of dirty clothes (I'd be wearing the same outer clothes on the way out, as I wore on the way in), probably just the pyjamas, but I see your point.

I'll get one of those "bags for life" from the Supermarket.

Cereal bar, bottle of water?
    I think I can rely on the hospital to provide the food and drink.

Notebook and pen.
    Good point. Now added.

Interestingly, nobody asked about cost
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 12-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.

• Princess kate
    • By Princess kate 12th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 3,841 Thanks
    Princess kate
    I guess you're right about the food and drink just thinking of having the bag as a bit more multipurpose than just hospital. I like to have a snack and drink on me, never know when hunger will strike!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I like to have a snack and drink on me, never know when hunger will strike!
    Originally posted by Princess kate
    They generally don't let you eat or drink until you've been seen by a doctor, by which time, they're usually wheeling the tea and biscuits trolley round.

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    • 6,309 Posts
    • 96,348 Thanks
    fuddle
    Having a drink and cereal bar is a must. I had a trip to A&E last week. From waking up, straight there. I was dropped off at just after 7am and was alone. No food, no drink from waking. I had money but as I was either rigged up to machines or in a side room away from food/drink facilities I couldn't access them and A&E staff extremely busy, fleeting and stressed. No drink until out of A&E and into a day investigation unit at around midday.

I have plenty of water at home but didn't have smaller bottles. I do now. If you're admitted you'll be fed and watered but if you're in A&E for any amount of time you may not be able to access water.
    Last edited by fuddle; 13-03-2018 at 6:47 AM.
    Please don't judge my story by the chapter that you walked in on.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 14,821 Posts
    • 141,434 Thanks
    mardatha
    I was the same - stuck in A&E for a couple of hours in the early hours, then in a ward and waiting for the tea trolley... only to find that it no longers comes. I was quite thirsty but had to wait until dinnertime. I'd take water but you need to grab one out of the fridge on your way past on the stretcher
    Also you can get medicalert jewellery really cheap on ebay.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 13th Mar 18, 9:26 AM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    Theresa May thinks she's Neville Chamberlain
    Anyone seen this today?

https://news.sky.com/story/live-deadline-for-russia-to-respond-to-spy-poisoning-11287981

I'm heartily sick of hearing about this. If someone traitorously takes money to betray their country, they should expect what's coming.

As for Theresa giving the Russians ultimatums, then what? 'Consequently our country is at war with Russia'?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 14,821 Posts
    • 141,434 Thanks
    mardatha
    Chamberlain came to my mind too when I read it jk0. But fear not - we might boycott the World Cup. That will really show them we mean business!!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Had a devil of a job finding the "Message In A Bottle" kit.

Tried both branches of Boots, Lloyds Pharmacy and IQ Pharmacy.

Finally found it at Tesco Pharmacy.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Message In A Bottle completed.

Instead of handwriting the supplied form, I scanned it and filled it out using Form Pilot, so it's far more readable than if I'd filled it in with the scrawl I call handwriting.

This leaves the original form intact, in case I need to update any of the details.

I also enclosed an extra slip of paper, listing my current medications, and how often I take them.

I've put brief details in a luggage tag, and attached that to my Hospital Grab Bag, which now also contains half a litre of bottled water, a slumber mask, and 4x5 notes, which is more than enough to get me home, from my local hospital, by taxi.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 7,703 Posts
    • 22,296 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Even if you're on medication that changes monthly, I'd consider finding that SOS talisman, Bob. (Awed & impressed by kit BTW & go on, how much did it cost?)

When we decided son should be tagged, I knew I had one somewhere, so bought another one. Sure enough, the naff, girly, dodgy-catch-on-bracelet article reappeared in days & was used as "moral suasion" (yep, blackmail) to get son to wear his wrist strap mounted version. ("Strap up or you can wear the girlie thing", & after washing up - "well? I know where that girlie one is" - sudden thudding of feet to find the proper one! Oooh, we are So Mean.)

It was then used by my son - if I'm tagged why aren't you - to get me to wear an SOS talisman again, and mindful of how benign & unobtrusive wrist mounted things are these days I too left the girly thing in a safe box (not That Safe, son knows where it is too) & went for the wrist strap mounted thing.

My son & I keep each other honest! (Well, sort of. But at least we're tagged so any stranger has a sporting chance.)

I'm learning to tell strangers in class that I'm a stabilized epileptic, but if they see that change, to mind my airway & tell the ambulance I have an SOS talisman. After decades of successful veiled "normality" it feels pretty weird, but it does help others with veiled disabilities speak up. We veil because there is still prejudice, but I'd rather deal with prejudice openly and help others do likewise than carry on scared, as the more who know how to help my lad, the safer he is.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,853 Thanks
    Karmacat
    As far as the Russian spy is concerned, he was imprisoned in Russia for his crimes, and he was exchanged voluntarily by the Russians for their own spies who'd been caught by us and were doing time in *our* prisons.

The vindictiveness, if it is an official attack, is mind boggling. And they got the man's daughter too, remember, she wasn't a criminal/a traitor. They also got a UK police officer, less seriously, but he was unconscious for days, so bad enough.

And if it was official, they employed a nerve agent on UK soil. Somebody certainly did, and that's a potential problem for all of us. And I just don't like the concept that someone was attacked like that at all, let alone in the UK. Though I also hope the politicians involved in decision making are going to have even a teeny tiny bit of common sense and forethought. Unlikely, I know
    Retired August 2016
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 43,358 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Personally - I'd prefer if someone spoke up if they have a "veiled disability".

It was very fortunate for a work colleague of mine some time back that had a "health episode" with an illness I didn't even know they had - that I'd been reading about it/realised what it was instantly/knew what to do and got on with it (which is more than can be said for the first person that found this colleague .....).

It was rather scary for those of us nearby - who'd been living in blissful ignorance the colleague had this problem until then.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    & go on, how much did it cost?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    It's a bit tricky to give an exact figure, as a few of the items I already had, so have had to guestimate what I paid for them.

Interestingly, the holdall wasn't the priciest item. The pyjamas were, at 12.

The holdall was only 7 from the market.

Including the guestimates for the towel and socks, and the total lack of a price for the radio and paperback (both bought when Adam was a lad), total price was around 60, plus the 20 in cash I'm carrying in it.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,249 Posts
    • 55,126 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    It was very fortunate for a work colleague of mine some time back that had a "health episode" with an illness I didn't even know they had - that I'd been reading about it/realised what it was instantly/knew what to do and got on with it
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    A chap we'd only been working with for about 30 minutes, keeled over in front of us, with a full-blown Epileptic fit.

Quite shocking when you're not expecting it.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin