Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 362
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 5,428 Posts
    • 58,024 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    GQ That's brilliant! So pleased for you

Karmacat The tealight holder sounds beautiful Enjoy using it
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 10,248 Posts
    • 55,121 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Got to love Auntie Beeb.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Not me. I hate it.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 10,248 Posts
    • 55,121 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    My existing allotment has passed inspection this week, being officially deemed 'in very good condition' and I am allowed to take on the half plot alongside it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I'm curious. How big is half an allotment?

• ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 19,021 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Lots of places have half size allotments Bob.

Congratulations GQ
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    jko, I know you had a rodent problem but sluggish fat flies make me think cluster flies. They hibernate anywhere cosy and dark
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks Kittie. Oh, they aren't that fat. Just slow enough that I can hit them.

I've not seen a single fly today. I've only killed about forty in all, which is presumably one mother fly's litter. Will there be further clutches, or is that it?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Mar 18, 4:59 PM
    • 29,202 Posts
    • 166,790 Thanks
    Karmacat
    When I've had cluster flies, they've gone on for days, and come in waves, I'm afraid On and off, it lasted about two weeks.

And I guarantee you a mummy fly has more babies than that ... they don't survive, they get eaten, some of them *do* manage to fly out of the eaves space, all sorts of things. I really, really hate them. I have a new loft hatch now, much tighter fitting, so hopefully even if I do have another infestation, there won't be as many. Plus there's been a lot of poison laid down up there for the rats, and that might have caught some of the cluster flies ... sounds lovely, doesn't it!

Sorry, jk0
    Retired August 2016
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 10,248 Posts
    • 55,121 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Lots of places have half size allotments Bob.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    OK, so how big is an allotment?

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 11,849 Posts
    • 228,565 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    OK, so how big is an allotment?
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    That's like saying How big is a shirt?

It depends on the how the provider (in this case, the council) divides up the site and varies wildly. The plot next to mine was 20 sq smaller than mine before it was split into two. I have a total area of 450 sq m with the original plot and the extra half-plot, counted together.

I've known single plots as big as 400 sq m and as small as 150 sq m.

You get billed per sq m, so you only pay for what you have, however large or small it may be. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 10,248 Posts
    • 55,121 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I have a total area of 450 sq m with the original plot and the extra half-plot, counted together.
    So just over 1/0th of an acre.

I was imagining something like a football pitch in size.

• westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 9th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    congrats GQ, will be thinking of you when I get to my tiny veg and fruit plots :-)
    We used to have a rotavator - think "Good Life" - the kids loved it, but we gifted it to a neighbouring crofter when we left. Every year as we're digging we recall how great it was and such a lot of fun!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 11,849 Posts
    • 228,565 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    So just over 1/0th of an acre.

I was imagining something like a football pitch in size.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Nah, what would I do with that amount of veggies?!

congrats GQ, will be thinking of you when I get to my tiny veg and fruit plots :-)
    We used to have a rotavator - think "Good Life" - the kids loved it, but we gifted it to a neighbouring crofter when we left. Every year as we're digging we recall how great it was and such a lot of fun!
    Originally posted by westcoastscot
    My grandad had a rotovator to use on his allotment-sized veggie garden in his later years. Very noisy but great fun.

I have horsetails on the plots so rotovating is like that part of the Sorcerer's Apprentice when Mickey Mouse chops the broom up into splinters and they each become their own water-carrying magic broom...... Or like chucking petrol at a bonfire - you could do it but it'd be dangerous and foolish.

My new plot has been tenanted by the same person (nice person, hopelessly incompetant gardener) for the past 6 years and they'd allowed any number of badnesses, inc greater bindweed, to take hold. And then they were growing into mine.

I have had to have an area about 18 inches at the end of each veggie row where they join the border fence with the other plot as a cordon sanitaire (or Demilitarized Zone) to enable me to get at the carp growing thru from The Far Side.

I detest greater bindweed aka 'granny-pop-out-of-bed' more than just about anything else that grows up there. It's pretty but such a thug, riots over everything like something native to the tropics.

Any week now, I shall be on the Far Side and digging it up root and branch. My new compost Dalek can live over there, too. I might be tempted to put up a sign saying Under New Management, but I suspect that will be blinding obvious very quickly.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 33,262 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    On our site, 100 sq m is a "full" plot & we're lucky enough to have 111 sq m! Quite diddy really, but enough for now.
    Angie

GC May 18 £326.16/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £145.26/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £131.45/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 14,817 Posts
    • 141,396 Thanks
    mardatha
    Granny pop out of bed? LOL not heard that one but I like it!
    Last edited by mardatha; 10-03-2018 at 7:29 AM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Mar 18, 10:44 PM
    • 7,702 Posts
    • 22,292 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Thinking of my gardening grandmothers, I shudder - that Could Not Be less appropriate.
    One gardened (as far as I could see), by supervising the gardener (I may well be doing her memory a massive injustice).

The other spent time every day writing letters, praying & gardening. (In not wholly equal proportions but some of each daily, regardless of the weather, was mandatory.) From the time on her knees, fighting the devil that was bindweed, I'm not wholly convinced her gardening was *that* different from her prayer, though I think the audible words might have been slightly different.

She's the granny I remember when trying to rescue young peas from bindweed & why I fiercely resist letting rip with a rotavator until I've done enough work with weed suppressant fabric & targeted chemicals. (Another 2 years or until someone looses all patience & overrides my caution, is my guess.)

Have a wonderful time with your extended queendom, GQ!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    • 14,817 Posts
    • 141,396 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've googled bindweed and I haven't seen that here. Not complaining though. My main moan is chickweed - was ok when I had chickens to eat it but now it's a pest.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 10th Mar 18, 7:44 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 6,218 Thanks
    Cappella
    “Historically allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times. 10 poles is the accepted size of an allotment, the equivalent of 250 square metres or about the size of a doubles tennis court.”

Which is exactly the size of ours Its huge. The council are splitting them now and you can only rent half of one, but established tenants can keep their full plots. We have 2 full plots and a half sized plot where we keep the bees. We’re down to 8 colonies is year and slowly winding down further. Our daughter has more or less taken over the second plot now as well. They supply all our soft fruit, veg, apples and honey. We used to keep chickens as well but aren’t able to manage them any more.

GQ - happy extra plotting We got our plots in 1978 and there were only 8 at that time being cultivated on an 90+ site. It will be our 40th anniversary this year and we’ve enjoyed every allotment year of it.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 19,021 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Arghhhhhh bindweed! Every tiny, tiny piece of root has the potential to become a forest
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 7,702 Posts
    • 22,292 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    And the only three tools against it are flintheartedness, glyphosate and routine burning of every remaining particle.

That I know of. Whereas Himself yearns over a rotavator...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 11,984 Posts
    • 74,982 Thanks
    kittie
    my plot is comparatively diddy, only 10 x 100 feet and that includes the shed/composting/storage end. Actual workable width is 8 feet but I grow a vast amount of produce. It is a good size for me, half is divided into 8 x 4 raised beds. I have bindweed but am persistent in getting it out, couch grass is a real pain but I would not like marestail, the nasty that GQ has. Half is cost effective and easy fruit, some space given to flowers, roses, alstreomeria, hellibores, echinacea etc It gets me out and feeds me well. I plan it for every year, the fertilising, the rotations. I don`t have any growing house up there

This allotment is why I am working on getting the spring clean done, the allotment takes over soon, all that weeding, sowing seeds, fresh air etc
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 10,248 Posts
    • 55,121 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Nah, what would I do with that amount of veggies?!
    Sell them to a restaurant called The Runcible Spoon.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,184Posts Today

7,437Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin