Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 359
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 4th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 6,296 Posts
    • 96,166 Thanks
    fuddle
    Where's me pen? Ah yes. Vick's First Defence. There, it's on the list. Much obliged GQ

Congratulations on the extra growing space!

From someone who takes life at 100mph and has to do everything, all the time, at speed, I'm finding my latest health problem a bit of a mental grapple really. I'm lucky in that I have engineered a life that can cope with me taking a step back... whether I can cope mentality with having to do that I don't know.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 11,841 Posts
    • 228,465 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Where's me pen? Ah yes. Vick's First Defence. There, it's on the list. Much obliged GQ

Congratulations on the extra growing space!

From someone who takes life at 100mph and has to do everything, all the time, at speed, I'm finding my latest health problem a bit of a mental grapple really. I'm lucky in that I have engineered a life that can cope with me taking a step back... whether I can cope mentality with having to do that I don't know.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    My pleasure.

My temperament is also to go at life like a bull at a gate, full of enthusiasms and at breakneck speed. Physically, I can't stand the pace, so have to practise advance wiliness, using my brain to save my back. After 30+ years of ME, I can't claim to have cracked it but am still a work-in-progress.

A pal who was disabled with arthritus but who loved to both be with energetic small children and energetic dogs, demonstated how you can do some things which appear very physical but which aren't nearly so.

Out in the woods, she'd spin on her own axis to throw dog toys (or kid toys) making them take about 15 steps for one of her own. She showed me how to entertain a kitten by throwing a ping-pong ball up the stairs and watching it go crazy trying to catch it on the way down...... and she always had pkts of UHT milk ready for those unpredicable days when the arthur was too bad for her to go anywhere.

My microwave died about 2 pm this aft. It's about 20 years old and I've had it from my late Nan's bungalow. It's served me 18 months. I want it gone and may not even replace it. The tip is open until 17.00 hrs and is just over a mile away.

In the space of five minutes I'd mentally run thru the available options:

1. Strap onto pushbike (dangerous, will prob fall). next!
    2. Put into newspaper trolley and walk it up. Do-able, except I'd just come in from what was prolly a 1.5 m wander around the shopping streets and am lurgy with the proto-cold. I could've gone to the dump but would have wiped myself out for a day or two.
    3. Have texted a dear pal, for whom I have done a favour as recently as yesterday, and asked if they could help me by taking it to the dump at some point?

The third option is the hardest one for me, I really don't like admitting that I need help occasionally, but I'm trying to get over myself. I'll get it outta here one way or t'other.

ETA pal has come back to me, it'll have to be a weekend, probably Sunday coming. Go pal!
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 04-03-2018 at 5:27 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 4th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 10,247 Posts
    • 55,110 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    We've now got heavy rain, which will hopefully see off the last of the snow.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 4th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 57,957 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Re cats on YouTube - the video "Cat watching horror movie" is probably the funniest one I've seen.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Thank you money - that was so funny (I watched the topmost one in the list of similar titles). Poor cat though!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 4th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 33,261 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Ohmigosh, fuddle, take good care of yourself! And you too, Cappella, and Bob... I'm in awe of everyone's good sense & heart in here, as usual.

But dismayed by conversations earwigged at this morning's market... "It was a once in a lifetime weather event!" apparently. This was said by someone a good ten years older than me; I'll be 60 at the tail-end of this year, and I can remember, just, the winter of 62-63, and several other much longer-lasting events than what we've just suffered - for two whole days, down here. OK, it was sudden, and dramatic, but it was also over quickly, and we had plenty of warning. I think we've got a bit soft...

And I'm reflecting on what I'd need to do if a similar event did happen, in January say, and stayed around for longer. We managed fine this time, but what could we have done better?
    Angie

GC May 18 326.16/400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 145.26/250, pet & livestock food '18 131.45/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 4th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    keeping mentally well is part of prepping isn't it? I think a positive outlook makes a huge difference and I'm grateful to have one - I know folks who struggle with positivity and it's a huge drain on their inner resources.

I'm looking towards spring now and planting my garden. I only have a bit of veg growing space now, but quite a bit of soft fruit (it looks after itself). I'm looking for flowering plants that are perennial, and can cope with a northern coastal garden.

Right off to book a grocery delivery - we get home delivery here now, and I'm just loving it!!! so convenient and it's halved my grocery budget :-)

I really appreciate all your support - it's been a difficult couple of years but lovely to know I can just pop back in and everyone is so welcoming. Planning to stick around for a while this time :-)
    • Witless
    • By Witless 4th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Witless
    Would you still have been able to heat your home, wash, etc.?
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Dual heating system, OFCH linked to solid fuel.

It needs electricity for the boiler / pump to work but the solid fuel system will heat the upstairs radiators / DHW without a pump and the open fire heats downstairs anyway (the downstairs radiators will get a degree of heat eventually without the pump).

If there was a disruption to the water supply to the boiler I have a Super Ser in the shed that I could move indoors.

Back up cooking - 11.4 kg fed gas ring / grill set plus gamping gaz stoves / lights and the option of the open fire - I have small pots & mess tins that fit on the front cover of the all night burner when opened down and some old camping kit that could be used directly on the fire. (You can also open the boiler 'cleaning doors' to give a level surface directly over the fire)

Not an ideal method of cooking, but perfectly feasible if necessary.

Even with the cold spell I still have 5 - 6 weeks solid fuel & 1500l oil left: if I'm spared til tomorrow I'll be back up to my 12 week reserve (I don't normally buy more coal until the autumn (last year I didn't buy from Nov to Sep) but I prefer to have a stock waiting.

I'm reasonably confident I'd survive comfortably.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    The flies have started :(
    Ahh... No sooner than I got rid of ratty's smell, the flies that must have feasted on him have appeared in my living room. I must have killed about nine today. I have just switched on the lights in my attached garage, in the hope that the flies will go out there through the airbricks rather than come in here.

It seems odd that it has taken this long. I guess it's due to the cold winter.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 4th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 10,247 Posts
    • 55,110 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Would you still have been able to heat your home, wash, etc.?
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Answering my own question, the living room fire and CH are gas, so they wouldn't work.

However, I do have a 2000W electric convector heater and a 1200w halogen heater, so I could heat the living room.

I have an electric stove, microwave and electric kettle, so cooking and brewing up wouldn't be affected.

Washing would be the only thing really affected, because I'd have to heat the water a kettle/pan full at a time.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 43,337 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Must admit I was totalling up respective fires for subsidiary heating - when a Facebook friend was commenting their heating had stopped working and they commented on the 3 fires they have as subsidiary heating. Now I don't know how big exactly their house is - it looks a fair size and I know it's got 4 bedrooms and large kitchen and live-in conservatory and that can't be enough subsidiary heating.

Totalled mine up and it comes to 4 and the bathroom heated towel rail is a dual-fuel set-up and so also works off electric (not counting the sitting room fire - as that's gas). So 5 means of heating the house (for 2 bedrooms/1 bathroom/1 kitchen/1 reception room and hallway - and this is a bungalow). Add the fact I've realised switching on all my (electric) cooker hotplates at once would whack out quite a bit of heat.

When I had the shower swopped - I would have preferred a more "invisible" type shower and huge overhead showerhead (ie it would have been heated by gas) - but I chose an electric one instead just-in-case.

Think that's sorted then - so the only concern would be paying out the extra for heating the place via electric rather than gas.

Whew - thank goodness the snow had gone from here by yesterday morning and I was able to get to the supermarket. All is back to normal today - so "life as normal" resumes.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 05-03-2018 at 7:21 AM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 5th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,202 Thanks
    Cappella
    Bob - we have gas ch and a gas fire so the gas situation does concern me BUT we also gave an open fire still in the front room and the chimney is swept every year though we rarely use it. Did you know that if you don't have a valid certificate to say that your chimney has been swept recently (annually) your insurance may be invalidated in the event of a fire? Our sweep told us this, I checked with the insurance company and it seems that he was correct. We also have a wood burner in the shed on the Allotment so if all else failed we could spend the days down there :-) We have enough wood chopped on the plot for at least two weeks, and plenty more to chop if necessary too. Also have two fan heaters and an electric space heater, plus a calor gas heater but that runs on gas cylinders and may not be easy to refill if things got really difficult. I have heated soup and beans on the open fire in the dim and distant past, must find the metal thing that swings over the coals so that I can put pans on it again. We also have two trangias, a primus stove and a ghillie kettle on the plot, so I think we're well covered.
    Depending on any other country for coal or gas strikes me as downright stupid, but governments are renowned for short sightedness; and for failing to act on known and received information so I guess that trying to be prepared is the only sensible option really.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 5th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    • 10,247 Posts
    • 55,110 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I was tempted to regale you with the entire story, of how the ASPOD came to be invented, but then I realised, it'd be the biggest ASPOD-history in the world.

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 57,957 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I assume you're feeling better Bob
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 5th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 10,247 Posts
    • 55,110 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I assume you're feeling better Bob
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    A little better, but still not great.

• Elona
    • By Elona 5th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Elona
    I have just been listening to the weather guru Dave King who believes the snow could come back on the 17th of this month for about five days.

He has a good track record so thought I would share this.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 43,337 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I have just been listening to the weather guru Dave King who believes the snow could come back on the 17th of this month for about five days.

He has a good track record so thought I would share this.
    Originally posted by Elona
    How widespread an area across the country is he talking about?

We've just had it pretty much right across the country (even places that don't normally have it) - just varying as to the extent. So - I'm wondering if it's going to be "Same again" if so?
    It's MY life......
    • jk0
    • By jk0 5th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    I suspect the electricity will go before the gas does, as we use so much to generate it with. They will want to keep the pipes pressurised at all costs, as it would be a nightmare to bleed millions of systems.

As you can see, last week and even now the coal generation was flat out at 11GW due to our having shortsightedly shut down so many coal stations.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 43,337 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I suspect the electricity will go before the gas does, as we use so much to generate it with. They will want to keep the pipes pressurised at all costs, as it would be a nightmare to bleed millions of systems.

As you can see, last week and even now the coal generation was flat out at 11GW due to our having shortsightedly shut down so many coal stations.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
    Originally posted by jk0
    Did you see that article during the last week about literally generating electricity from thin air? Scientists there experimenting with it.

Personally - I'd tend to go along with the conspiracy theorists that "They" know very well what other methods could be used to generate electricity - but for reasons that suit them are holding onto that knowledge pretty much at the moment.....

A modern society can't function without electricity - hence I don't see us being expected to do so ever..... Gas, on the other hand, I ain't so sure about....
    It's MY life......
    • Witless
    • By Witless 5th Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Witless
    A modern society can't function without electricity - hence I don't see us being expected to do so ever..... Gas, on the other hand, I ain't so sure about....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    You can't have one without t'other ........

The first combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) plant was commissioned in 1991. The role of CCGTs in the generation mix grew steadily through the 1990s and 2000s, with gas generation accounting for 30% of electricity demand in 2014. The UK has now around 32GW of CCGT gas generating capacity.

https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/energy-industry/gas-generation.html
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 74,937 Thanks
    kittie
    omg I am all of a dither, like a quivering jelly, my heart is racing and my hands are clammy. I have just had notification of what looks like the perfect property, new, one I saw being built and always thought it was for a client because it was being built so carefully. I love it, from the outside. It won`t have the big garden but is in my preferred area. My hands are shaking. Its got a wood burning stove, oak floors. Got a viewing tomorrow morning

Calm me down please, I want to go in with a clear head and my tick list
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin