Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 337
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    • 11,538 Posts
    • 160,692 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Mary I thank all of you every day just for being here, when life gets twizzled as it so often does it's the haven I know I can come to for some feet on the ground common sense (lots of giggling too when the occasion merits it) and when needed straight talking too! I DO thank you all, life would be far less interesting if I couldn't be 'me' somewhere in this world and very many people just wouldn't understand the prepping side of life if it was put directly under their noses. Like minds make good companions love xxx.

Patience isn't easy is it Kittie? I think we too will sit tight until life shows us a clear path towards our future. We've all we need here and I'm not going to panic myself into the wrong decision.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 54,760 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Snow up here this morning.

Wouldn't be going out, if I didn't have to.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 51,702 Thanks
    Jazee
    No snow here, but it is very cold. My prepping at the moment is preparing for redundancy. I'm not sure how long it will take to find something else, so I'm stocking up on basic dry foods and cleaning/toiletry stuff.

I've bought myself an address book this week to store passwords in, so at least they'll be easier to find. My current little book isn't in any particular order and is so old it's falling apart.
    Savings 2018: 1288.56
    Garden spends 2018 - 90.17 (compost, solar lights, begonia plants)

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 56,495 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh Jazee, so sorry to hear that I hope you find a new job sooner than you might expect x

Lyn and kittie I think you should go with your gut feelings while you're househunting
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 51,702 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks Ivyleaf. It's a little scary but also just a little bit exciting. A whole new chapter starting.
    Savings 2018: 1288.56
    Garden spends 2018 - 90.17 (compost, solar lights, begonia plants)

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 28,981 Posts
    • 164,949 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Storing passwords and whatnot can become a real issue. I worked really hard to get a minimal address book, financial info and web info into a little notebook - dratted thing had to be updated regularly - people moved, financial products expired or got renamed, websites died, passwords updated (as per whats happening here on mse!) it lasted about 5 years, thanks to tippex and blank labels - now I've put that info on a Word document, anonymously named, copied it to a RW CD and a flash drive used *only* for that, with the doc itself printed out - it takes about 4 sheets, given the cleverclogs way I typed it up
    Retired August 2016
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 44,635 Thanks
    maryb
    I have an encrypted file entitled RIFs for Really Important Files. Even though it's encrypted I still use code words to indicate what the password is for. But if you are a victim of fraud and the bank asks you if you wrote down your password or PIN , what do you say? It's not like writing it on a bit of paper and leaving it in your handbag along with the relevant card to be stolen (which they obviously refuse to compensate you for) but you have still made a record of it and I do worry they would use that as an excuse to wriggle out of repaying you
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 54,760 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Just got back from shopping and paying bills, and he snow is all gone, to be replaced by rain.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 28,981 Posts
    • 164,949 Thanks
    Karmacat
    But if you are a victim of fraud and the bank asks you if you wrote down your password or PIN , what do you say? It's not like writing it on a bit of paper and leaving it in your handbag along with the relevant card to be stolen (which they obviously refuse to compensate you for) but you have still made a record of it and I do worry they would use that as an excuse to wriggle out of repaying you
    Originally posted by maryb
    Me too

Speaking of which, one thing I regularly do is that when my bank or telecoms provider phone me (which is mostly when they've made an idiotic mistake and we've been clearing it up) they ask me security questions, and I refuse to answer. Its publicly available knowledge, they say. And I say, well in that case it isn't a very secure question, is it. And *you* phoned *me*.

But its exactly the issue you mention - if I'd tell them the security answers, then maybe I told a scammer. Such is life - I loathe talking to them on the phone anyway, its the one thing that makes me furious
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 11,760 Posts
    • 226,960 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thanks Ivyleaf. It's a little scary but also just a little bit exciting. A whole new chapter starting.
    Originally posted by Jazee
    Hugs, hun. Take care. I've had a few upheavals including redundancy and the anticipation was much worse than the actuality - the forced changes turned out to be better than what I had before. I hope it will prove to be the same for you.

Karmakat, I'm about to PM you about something...........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 10th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 32,917 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Well, go me!!! I've just managed to switch back to the old green version, after I-don't-know-how-long on the blue! At least a year, I think. I've only just noticed that there's an option for "forum version" at the bottom of "your settings" - wonderful!

We're also hunting for a new home with a bigger garden; OH & I are a tad dismayed by all the nitpicking and rapidly-multiplying Rules at the allotments, and would rather be free to build raised beds & paths, use our polytunnel etc. Trouble is, we still need a big house, with 3 offspring still at home and an elderly parent we'd like to keep a much closer eye on. Although we'll be selling a decent-sized house with a decent-sized garden in a desirable location, I think we'd have to win the lottery to afford anything bigger within about a 30-mile radius of here! And here, of course, is where the jobs are...

One of DS2's workmates commutes nearly 80 miles each way, every day, in order to be able to afford a sensible-sized home & garden; I know people do that to get into London every day - but down here? With no sensible or reliable public transport options & a main road that only has a couple of small stretches of dual carriageway and goes over the highest hill on the south coast, as well as several others that aren't much smaller? It's all getting very silly, when people can't afford the homes they need in the places that they need to be...
    Angie

GC April 18 341.11/450
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 280.08/435

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 24,604 Thanks
    jk0
    Thanks Angie.

I think I'm back to an even older 'skin' now.

I wonder if I will still keep having to log in though?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Feb 18, 11:02 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 24,604 Thanks
    jk0
    Thanks Angie.

I think I'm back to an even older 'skin' now.

I wonder if I will still keep having to log in though?
    Originally posted by jk0
    Just found I still have to log in again, and still back to the blue skin despite saving my choice.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Feb 18, 6:49 AM
    • 11,815 Posts
    • 73,743 Thanks
    kittie
    One of DS2's workmates commutes nearly 80 miles each way, every day, in order to be able to afford a sensible-sized home & garden; I know people do that to get into London every day - but down here? With no sensible or reliable public transport options & a main road .
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    public transport would immediately help the housing market and yes re stupid prices and here too, anything, with a shop in the area plus a bus twice a day, goes at a stupid inflated price. I never realised how difficult it was to get a decent house with a decent garden on a bus route.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 54,760 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    they ask me security questions, and I refuse to answer.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Me too.

I say I'll call in, next time I'm in town, then hang up.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 15,352 Posts
    • 42,823 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

We're also hunting for a new home with a bigger garden; OH & I are a tad dismayed by all the nitpicking and rapidly-multiplying Rules at the allotments, and would rather be free to build raised beds & paths, use our polytunnel etc. It's all getting very silly, when people can't afford the homes they need in the places that they need to be...
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Tell me about it - cue change of my location

In your position - I'd be inclined to "hang on in there" to the house you've got and just grit your teeth about increasing allotment rules. Annoying - but "lesser of two evils" as compared to all the hassle/expense of swopping house and the eventual result of being in a different area.

From my experience - it has to be a rather longer list of "problematic things" about current property in order to go through all the hassle/expense of moving elsewhere. I had the rather longer list/much longer list of "problems last house had" and wouldn't have thought it worth all the hassle/expense/upset of moving for just one issue. It's when you've got a long long list of problems with current house/location that moving gets to be left as only option on the table.

My own "list of reasons" had become too long to stay put at:
    - still in starter terrace house in my 60s (though my own parents bought their detached in their 40s)
    - yep...noise was often coming through the walls of the house from the neighbours
    - neighbours neglect of their property was starting to impact on my property and I could see they werent going to be reasonable about it
    - it had begun to feel unsafe (all that clambering up a loft ladder over a stairwell)
    - it needed a good bit more work/money on it (as I'd never ripped it apart to a "stay in it permanently" standard to start with - as it was my starter house and not my forever home)
    - LOADS and LOADS of building going on in the area - grrrr!
    - heavily polluted (and it was starting to affect my health)
    - loads of traffic (and I don't have a car myself)
    - lots of planes in the skies (and I've given up flying myself)
    - only a courtyard garden (and I'm a gardener and had always known I'd be getting on with it no later than start of retirement age)
    - it was in an area of FTB houses and student houses and many of the FTB houses had turned into buy-to-lets and the area had started to "go down"
    - I had calculated/re-calculated/calculated all over again and there was just no way I could do my long long overdue "move up the housing ladder" where I was.

Now that's a long list of reasons to move...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-02-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 28,981 Posts
    • 164,949 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Karmakat, I'm about to PM you about something...........
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Thanks GQ, I've only just logged on, so only just got it.

I have sunshine today! Don't know how long it will last for, but I'm definitely going to make the most of it.
    Retired August 2016
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 11,815 Posts
    • 73,743 Thanks
    kittie
    wd money, I have long admired the fact that you had the courage to move to an unknown area on your own and can see exactly why you moved. Thanks for sharing
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 15,352 Posts
    • 42,823 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks Kittie. Some might have called it something rather different and I definitely (often!) thought "What on earth have I done?" a lot in the first couple of years.

One gets through renovation work on a house/the greater unreliability factor of tradespeople in this area compared to my own eventually. The nfh basically shut up and started "behaving themselves" after a while - ie when they realised I was gobsmacked at anyone trying to order me around/wasnt going to accept it. I've made friends/most people are friendly & helpful and the few that have their own agendas have decided to avoid the resultant earache of trying to push them on me (they just glare at me as they walk past me in the street, whilst greeting me through gritted teeth LOL - and I expect you can guess who they are....).

I've still got The Weather (worse than I'm used to)/dogs kept in gardens sometimes and then allowed to bark (which I'm not used to).

The truth of the matter - it helps a lot once the house is sorted. The further truth of the matter - I would go back if I could afford to (but that means a house worth a LOT more than the one I have - in order to have a detached house and in the nicest area of my city). I may or may not always feel that way.....

Changing house within the same part of the country is a noticeably smaller challenge than doing so to a different part of the country - but there are still a lot of factors to take into account. Hence I notice those on here that are trying to move (sometimes voluntarily/sometimes not) and can understand the frustration involved in thinking "What I'm after IS perfectly reasonable - so how come it's so difficult/impossible to get?"
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 11th Feb 18, 12:26 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 32,917 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Believe me, MTSTM, we do have a long list; it's far from one issue! The most pressing being care of my mother, but to be fair that problem could - cease to be a problem - at any point, though I can't help hoping that it doesn't. But there are a number of other things, the most important being that staying put is negatively impacting on OH's mental health; he has never liked this area or this house, and he's been "stuck here" for 25+ years...

The area we're in is a little medieval market town on the outskirts of a reasonably big conurbation. In accordance with the local bigwigs' "vision" for the area, hundreds of nice new "executive" homes are being slapped up on the ex-green-belt land around us, and all the lovely little local shops that offered good service and interesting goods are being replaced by upmarket chainstores as quickly as the landlords can double the rent. We are to become an "aspirational shopping destination", apparently, meaning that us hoi-polloi can't actually afford to shop here any longer, or buy anything that's actually any use if we're not planning to tackle Ben Nevis this week. Not to mention parking...

It would do The Offspring a lot of good to have new pastures to explore & they can't afford to do that on their own hereabouts. I have friends - good friends - family & business contacts all over the county, though I'd miss my local crew very much. In my dreams, not only do we have a house & garden big enough for us all - or at least a couple of shepherd's huts/garden rooms in the garden! - but also parking & a studio in which the DDs & I can run workshops & possibly even courses. BUT we're up against serious money, the sort that needs a paddock for Fenella's pony and a kitchen you could lose Jamie Oliver plus Gordon Ramsey in. So my job now is to persuade OH to look at village houses or 30s semis, which are much more affordable & down here do often have big gardens behind them, and useful outbuildings, but aren't the detached cottage with roses round the door that he's been dreaming of all this time.
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 11-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Angie

GC April 18 341.11/450
    Bulk-buy purse 2018 280.08/435

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,989Posts Today

8,381Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm retweeting this so people can judge my 'non-apology' for themselves. Yet I am gen? https://t.co/ALnjaDtZcm

• I don't shush women. But did wrongly shush a woman, u, not due to gender, but as u patronisingly offered me an unpa? https://t.co/jCYTb7aFYt

• Harassing people who are hospitalised for mental health issues helps no one. Giving breathing space to put finance? https://t.co/L02RzMDoEs

• Follow Martin