Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 336
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    I already downsized my allotment a lot and everything I grow is what I want to eat. The plants I would want to grow in a decent garden would be gooseberries, blackcurrants, raspberries if enough room and a couple of apple trees, not too tall, M26 rootstocks. I say this because I can get very nice fresh organic veg delivered from a county organic farm. I have tested and they passed, so I could do without veg as long as I have a greenhouse and a space for salad crops.

Along with my garden needs, I have cycling needs and need to be safe from traffic and able to ride along lanes which pass through the local protected moor areas. I have that now, where I live but moving just over a mile would give me lots more routes.

Buses are a huge problem, mrsLW, local buses have been cut down to the bare bone, maybe 2 a day at most. I am prepared to put up with that, to pay for taxis to stations for trains and buses, if I ever cannot drive. I am content and don`t yearn for town visits. A local shop is important as is an active village hall community and both are in that same area as is the doctors surgery with pharmacy on the same site

So I look at rightmove several times a day, even though I set up alerts and I get postcodes and browse sold properties, often with links to photos and I wail over the ones that went before I knew I was moving but I know that there will be more, in good time. Market info is very useful and will often give the previously sold price of a property, showing how optimistic some people are by adding a great amount on since then
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    Lyn, I am inclined to encourage you to follow your heart.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    yes, seconded
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Feb 18, 5:57 PM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    I have a question for monna or anyone who has managed to do this. How do you manage to let go of much loved nice quality furniture? The large leather sofa, the brown oak bookcases and units that together make a study. How physically do you get rid once the decision has been made?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 24,613 Thanks
    jk0
    Again!

MSE made me change my password today, and for the last ten minutes has kept me in the blue user interface while making me enter my details every time I tried to write something.

Is there an option to tick somewhere to stay on the green background?

I found the 'keep me signed in' button, but it doesn't seem to work.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 11,542 Posts
    • 160,738 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You could sell it on E.Bay under the Buyer collects only option, if you don't want to sell it you could contact the British Heart Foundation who have specific furniture shops and will collect from your home if they decide they would be able to sell what you were offering. Freecycle is a very good way of passing on unwanteds to others and they come to pick up what they have asked for. I believe the Trussell Trust also sell on donated furnishings to help homeless people who they also I believe employ in their outlets to give them a chance of getting into accommodation again. Hope that's what you meant Kittie?

I also had to change my password as mine had apparently expired but we did it in seconds and it got me back into the threads straight away without any problems.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 11,761 Posts
    • 226,991 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I had to change my password today. too. It claimed it was 920 days since it'd been changed (untrue) and therefore had 'expired'. When I got back in on new password it initially appeared on the hateful blue format but a few seconds later it came back in the old green one, thank goodness.

WTH?! is MSE doing today, is someone thinking we're all spambots and they need to get us to prove otherwise..........?

This spambot is making HM soup with allotment-grown BNS and h.g. leeks and spuds. The smoked paprika I admit to purchasing as I've never had much success with the Greater Smoked Paprika Plant here Dahn Sarf, I think the weather ain't right for it, or summat.

Any wandering mods know the real reason?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 9th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 95,973 Thanks
    fuddle
    I lost a post because of the password issue. 830 days for me. I forget I'm simply a pawn at the mercy of MSE staff.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 11,761 Posts
    • 226,991 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I was wondering if it was a sinister plot to get all of us still using the green format to re-password ourselves and then we'd be lumbered with the hateful blue one whether we liked it or not?

Who knows what I'll see tomorrow when I pop back online? Really hope it's still ole greenie.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• jk0
    • By jk0 9th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 24,613 Thanks
    jk0
    I can't imagine anyone liking that blue scheme. There is such space left between posts that you can only read one at a time, so much mouse-work is needed.

As I said the other day: Progress, eh?
    • Witless
    • By Witless 9th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    Witless

Aging. It's a boogar!
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Helluvalot better than the alternative though!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 15,369 Posts
    • 42,854 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I have a question for monna or anyone who has managed to do this. How do you manage to let go of much loved nice quality furniture? The large leather sofa, the brown oak bookcases and units that together make a study. How physically do you get rid once the decision has been made?
    Originally posted by kittie
    It is annoying to have to do so. But I gave away a couple of things (including a good-as-new bed there had been very little use from) to a charity shop.

So it was still frustrating - and all the more so because I wasn't downsizing from a large house (because I was going from one 2 bedroom house to another 2 bedroom house). But it wasn't possible to fit it in because of no longer having all the Victorian terrace house "nooks/crannies/alcoves/loft storage" and so it had to go.

But it helps - slightly - knowing that at least the stuff went to a good cause (even if I'd be buying replacements in a "come up on the lottery - and therefore move again" scenario).

It probably also helps if the Next House is one that you'd stay in by choice - rather than knowing you'd move again if you could afford to (ie so you're not ruling out a future move - though you think it's very unlikely).
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 47,570 Thanks
    monnagran
    Someone must have had a brainstorm. I too had to change my password because it had 'expired'. I had a real job changing mine because they said my e-mail address was invalid! It wasn't but took some sorting out. Then I had to invent a new password, then happily I was put back onto our dear familiar green format.

Getting rid of furniture is quite difficult. No one wants Brown furniture these days, so the good solid wooden stuff that I bet most of us have is worthless. I had to sell a 1780s small oak chest of drawers. It was very pretty and delicate but at auction I got hardly more than I paid for it over 50 years ago. I have a couple of items that I am hanging on to, it can take its chance among the Ikea offerings.
    Last edited by monnagran; 09-02-2018 at 8:54 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 9th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 9,047 Posts
    • 57,062 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Phew, what a relief - my password also had apparently expired (2000 or so days old.) I thought for a minute I was going to have to type in 40 different characters to revalidate my account but thankfully not. Back in the groove!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 9th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 9,047 Posts
    • 57,062 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    I seem to have lost about 300 posts or so from my post count- somebody is playing silly beggars methinks.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 44,673 Thanks
    maryb
    4745 days for me. Which works out to 13 years. Bit sudden to get worked up about unchanged passwords!! Except it's more than 13 years since I joined this site
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 44,673 Thanks
    maryb
    And I've just noticed I've lost loads of posts as well. And no-one has ever thanked me waaah!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 44,673 Thanks
    maryb
    Except all my thanks are suddenly back again. But not the post count. Weird!

At least I managed to get the green interface without too much trouble
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 44,673 Thanks
    maryb
    Thank you for thanking me Mrs L, I need all the thanks I can get if they are going to disappear at a moment's notice
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Feb 18, 10:36 PM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 24,613 Thanks
    jk0
    Jesus wept. Just had to log in three times again on the blue screen.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,799 Thanks
    kittie
    I have never had the dreaded blue screen I was expecting it today as I changed my password yesterday. Yet another password into my notebook, five pages full of passwords

Thanks for furniture ideas, I think I have to sit tight. I could always put the bookcases and sideboard unit into a garage, if big enough and I am wanting enough room for a conservatory so the sofa could go in there. No point me jumping the gun and regretting it, all that furniture is nice. I need to learn patience
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

3,383Users online

Martin's Twitter