Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 333
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 4th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 51,919 Thanks
    Jazee
    Lest anyone have carbonated beverages stored anywhere (it's possible some of us want to face the Rapture with a stiff G&T in one hand), can I just remind you to store them *carefully*? Labelled, and ideally flat, for example.

As a slipped bottle that falls to the floor between your feet & explodes is an intriguing sensation, and the following mopping up has been educational also. I just do not want to speculate what the A&E notes would have read had I been wearing a skirt...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    And be especially careful when moving said purchases from boot of car. Once dropped, they are quite a spectacle, spinning round and round on the road and coating everyone and everything in sticky sugary liquid.
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 4th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 30,089 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I just do not want to speculate what the A&E notes would have read had I been wearing a skirt...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I sort of know the answer to that. Years ago my youngest aunty fell off a horse as it jumped a fence. She rolled on her back as she fell and the horse stood on her. An ambulance was called and she was taken to hospital. One of the nurses on duty was her elder sister who was heard to remark "We see all sorts of people in here with all sorts of things 'Up There', but you're the first one in that's had a horse's hoof there". Ahhh, sibling love
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    I`m still doing a stitch in time, algae spraying. Makes a big difference and very quickly, I ran out of liquid to dilute but more will arrive tomorrow. It makes a big difference to slip prevention btw, the hidden algae on decking and the obvious algae on the likes of slate. A good time to get it done, I did a bit more this morning, very quick with sprayer. I still need to do some more wood, a slate patio area and the water butts. Again am prepping to make the house look nice but I would do it anyway for safety for starters
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 5th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    juliettet
    Hi Kittie,

Please tell me what you use. I have a path that never gets the sun and usually just deck scrub with soapy water.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    Hi Kittie,

Please tell me what you use. I have a path that never gets the sun and usually just deck scrub with soapy water.
    Originally posted by juliettet
    amazon,prokleen simply spray and walk away. Bought 2 x 5 litres. Dilute with 4 x as much water and use a pump sprayer. I used to use biological washing powder in hot water, last house and was never as effective
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 5th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    juliettet
    Many thanks for that Kittie. I also noticed the fence had a slight green tinge and I can use that before treating.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 15,601 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Quick thought - "It must be eco if Kittie is using it"

- but.....one of the questions on Amazon says in the answer "Not safe for pond life" and I've not been able to find out what the ingredients of it are. So I expect they are things I wouldnt use - and the container looks plastic...

Looks like I've still "got my eye out" to see if there's anything I could use on my grotty cracked concrete tiles (to be replaced at some point with decent ones - eg sandstone). I suspect I'm going to have to leave them to continue looking dirty/being slippy....

I know I was horrified to find that a painter that did the outside of my (blinkin' rendered concrete blocks) house and used spray-cleaning had some mild hydrochloric acid in the solution he was using (despite the fact he could see my organically-grown food plants nearby in my garden). Well my plants were there - until I realised and ripped them all out and wasted them --grrr...and decided he wasnt going to get his mitts on doing that to my house ever again.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 5th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    tori.k

- but.....one of the questions on Amazon says in the answer "Not safe for pond life" and I've not been able to find out what the ingredients of it are. So I expect they are things I wouldnt use - and the container looks plastic...

Looks like I've still "got my eye out" to see if there's anything I could use on my grotty cracked concrete tiles (to be replaced at some point with decent ones - eg sandstone). I suspect I'm going to have to leave them to continue looking dirty/being slippy....

I know I was horrified to find that a painter that did the outside of my (blinkin' rendered concrete blocks) house and used spray-cleaning had some mild hydrochloric acid in the solution he was using (despite the fact he could see my organically-grown food plants nearby in my garden). Well my plants were there - until I realised and ripped them all out and wasted them --grrr...and decided he wasnt going to get his mitts on doing that to my house ever again.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    White vinegar will kill off algae just mix it one part to two with water and spray on a dry day and leave ,basically its what algon is, it will take a couple of week to completely clear but won't harm pets or wildlife.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 870
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    why do you say that? I am not eco, except where it applies to what I ingest ie organic or to my purse ie insulation. The liquid I got does the job brilliantly and I wear a mask to make sure none of it sprays into my lungs
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 15,601 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    White vinegar will kill off algae just mix it one part to two with water and spray on a dry day and leave ,basically its what algon is, it will take a couple of week to completely clear but won't harm pets or wildlife.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    White vinegar sounds more like it for me.

I know I'm doing the major eco stuff - not having more than two children/given up flying/dont have a car/etc - but I like to keep the mini things as "eco" as possible too.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,630 Thanks
    Karmacat
    "Eat what you store ... " ah yes, that will be why the chestnut flour in the plastic crate has gone mouldy I bought it straight from the mill, but between all the stuff thats been going on, I just kept on not using it lesson hopefully learned.
    Retired August 2016
    • jk0
    • By jk0 6th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    Anyone noticed the new nonsense BBC weather map?

Up until yesterday, it would remember where I live and a local forecast would eventually come up. Now, it requires a further two clicks to get my local forecast.

Progress, eh?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 29,189 Posts
    • 166,630 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yes, I have, jkO - when you get to the town you want to look at, it doesn't seem to show as much detail as it used to
    Retired August 2016
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,316 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yes I don't like it either.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,207 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Newspaper article ( believe what you read or not) saying that Mr.D.Trump's lawyers are not wanting him to speak to Mueller as they fear greatly that he will just lie and put himself at risk of prosecution for it. What a damning statement IF it's got even a grain of truth in it for a person who has the reins of power and so much destructiveness under his hand! Don't we live in interesting times???
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 6,294 Posts
    • 96,121 Thanks
    fuddle
    That's a thing that I always noticed kittie - old houses are built in the right place. Perfect position for full sun and warmth - at least up here they are. Modern new houses are just plonked!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Our house is perfectly positioned so that not one bit of sun ever hits where the old pantry was.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    oh I had a pantry once, was the best place ever, some wonderful designs from the old days, like those kitchen cabinets with a pull out shelf

I would love an old house but not a money pit, there are lots of jobs I could not tackle on my own, too big, too heavy
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,316 Thanks
    mardatha
    This house had a pantry when we moved in, it was at the back, north facing wall of the kitchen and had a wee window covered with mesh. Next to it was an indoor coal cellar!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,837 Thanks
    kittie
    I have a broken router, its come back on again but don`t know for how long. Plusnet were great and are sending me another, 3-5 working days. I had to scrabble around to find their contact number and felt lost without internet, makes me realise how we have come to depend on it for all sorts, communications, buying routers, banking etc. I mean there is no-where I could go to for a router so am glad I found plusnet number in a very old notebook.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,316 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've got a wee notebook full of phone numbers, used to be able to memorise landline ones but now with mobiles I just can't. Agree Plusnet are good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

6,947Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin