Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 317
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Jan 18, 8:22 AM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 229,620 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I missed out on the flu pandemic of 1968; was a small child, we lived in a hamlet and Dad was the only one working outside the home and he worked out of doors, so limited opportunities for breathing others' germs.

I had a bad go-round with a gastric flu sometime in the early seventies, just before Xmas; Mum nursed kid bruv and me thru it, we got better just by Xmas and she got laid up in bed and too ill to move. My only other flu experience was January 1986, when I was laid up in bed on my tod in a freezing cold bedsit. The lymph glands at the top of my legs were too swollen for me to move - bizarre, never happened before or since, thank goodness.

Since Monday afternoon, when I started symptoms, I have been using vicks first defense against cold symtoms and, touch wood, havent had a full-blown cold develop (yet!) - I hope!. I think my immune system is engaged with something, as I am unnaturally tired, even by the standards of someone with ME.

Great info from fuddle, thank you very much, I'm memorising that.

Practising self-care and hoping not to get ill, working in a call centre, any bug tends to become group property extremely rapidly; last Jan- Feb time so many of us were coughing too hard to handle calls, that we were put on admin work only. Each morning Da Management had to do the rounds and check who could talk and who couldn't - I had one whole week without speaking to a single member of the public, which was weird.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,030 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Having the flu vaccine or not having the flu vaccine is a personal choice and has been debated every year that I can remember on various threads. Whether it IS effective or not has also been debated and I can only speak from personal experience in that since I've been having the vaccination I've been well apart from colds in the winter. It may have no relevance to having the vaccine and I may just be very lucky. I do use public transport regularly several times a week and do visit shops and supermarkets and am inclined to feel that it DOES give some protection. We wouldn't consider NOT having the vaccination as long as it is available as both of us would rather not be part of a problem like the lack of capacity currently in the HNS if we can possibly avoid it. A personal conviction and a personal choice!

There is some indication that the current situation with Influenza has been designated as an epidemic, certainly numbers are up and hospitals are full to bursting and as Fuddle points out more people are visiting GPs but they don't necessarily all have the flu, we all live huddled on top of each other in our cities and towns and we all have centrally heated and sealed homes these days and I'm convinced that is part of the reason so many of us succumb to so many viruses and illnesses along with the adulteration of food stuffs with so many chemicals for shelf life and flavour enhancement. Perhaps a simpler life all round might be better for the human race and make us hardier and less likely to be ill so often?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 13th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    dreaming
    I'm really interested in the bit I've bolded, dreaming, do you have a linkie for that, please?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Karmacat - I don't have a link exactly but if you look up Public Health England (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/public-health-england) you should find plenty of information. One of the problems is that many people see newspaper headlines that flu is increasing, but when you read the reports it is only the "reported" cases that have increased. This leads more people to think they have to go to the doctor with the first sign of illness (which may or may not be flu) but that increases the reported cases, which gets headlines again and so the cycle continues. Of course, it is impossible to ascertain the real number of cases of flu, and whether or not it is the "Aussie" strain or any other form which is always present to some degree, as many people do not go to doctors.
    I'm not minimising the dangers of the illness for some people by the way. I have had flu in the past and know how debilitating it can be for several weeks in someone who is (was) healthy. I now have an auto-immune condition so try to avoid certain situations (no cheek kissing for me, or even hand shakes at the moment) and follow handwashing guidelines etc. However, I am also aware that this is a seasonal, cyclical illness which happens every year to a greater or lesser degree. Unfortunately I have met people who have had a heavy cold who have insisted that they have Aussie flu, but they have still managed to make it to the pub (if not to work)!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 142,429 Thanks
    mardatha
    This does bug me. People on ME groups or Addisons groups who talk as if they are at death's door 98% of the time, moaning on about all their symptoms - then causally mention they were out at the pub/restaurant or on a day out. Ill people don't do anything - they can't because they haven't the energy. And people with flu are bloody lucky if they can make it to the loo unassisted.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7,800 Posts
    • 22,931 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Much intrigued by the idea of thieves oil...
    Have had my annual round of quinsy/tonsilitis/pus on the tonsils (antibiotics over Christmas made timing meals a chore & of course no alcohol, but I got a swig of champagne in for New Year) - round here you have to have 5 documented rounds in 3 years before they'll consider surgery so I wait til the sore throat goes splodgy, rock up & get the script.

We need to sharpen up our prep for water. I may send son with shovel out to investigate the spring shown on the map. Warm enough to get a shovel in and find water running at present, but a few passes with the divining rods first might be kinder. (I believe & it works for me, others don't & it doesn't. It's possible that may be how some people feel about vaccines etc!)

I dimly remember having pneumonia as a child. I was too weak to leave my bed but just able to turn a page, so the local library was credited with my recovery by mum. She was doing book runs alongside the school run of little sibs, & with my curiosity blazing, as long as I was supplied with books, she reckoned it was a reasonable bet I'd stay still & let my body get on with the recovering. (It worked, but I can't stick Enid Blyton now!)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,824 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Karmacat - I don't have a link exactly but if you look up Public Health England (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/public-health-england) you should find plenty of information.
    Originally posted by dreaming
    Thanks for this, dreaming - I'll check it out. I like your explanation of "reported" and the circular effect of that.

This does bug me. People on ME groups or Addisons groups who talk as if they are at death's door 98% of the time, moaning on about all their symptoms - then causally mention they were out at the pub/restaurant or on a day out. Ill people don't do anything - they can't because they haven't the energy. And people with flu are bloody lucky if they can make it to the loo unassisted.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Absolutely. Even on an ordinary day, when I'm not ill and supposedly "healthy", I don't eat out for meals. And a day out, again when healthy, is a huge deal. I leave two days free afterwards so I can rest.
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 11,900 Posts
    • 229,620 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yeah, I do two hrs of archery (with a tea break in the middle) most weeks and am home by 19.30 hrs, and still feel the after-effects two days later. Some weeks I'm just not well enough to do archery at all.

No way could I be out two days on the trot even if 'out' was a simple as sitting in a pub on the next street for one half pint of cider, or lounging on a pal's couch for a couple of hours having a natter.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 55,377 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Microscopes.
    I seem to recall, someone (apologies but I can't remember the member's name) asking about a microscope for one of their children/grandchildren for Christmas. I suggested this:-
    Well, I was in Home Bargains today, and spotted this:-

Price £9-99.

It doesn't have the portability of the Smartphone microscope, but you can plug this one into a TV/monitor (it requires a phono type socket), and view the objects on a much larger screen.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 14th Jan 18, 12:31 AM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 24,827 Thanks
    jk0
    We started WW1 & WW2!
    Someone on Zerohedge recommended this article: http://whale.to/c/hiddenyyranny.pdf

I'm only half way through it but, O.M.G!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 33,293 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Spring is on it's way!
    Snowdrops are coming out! DD1 & I found a couple of decent-sized patches of snowdrops flowering whilst walking the byways round our local ancient monument yesterday. We'd already seen that lots of our bulbs are coming up, and the garden day-lilies are throwing out shoots now too, but but it's pretty early for snowdrops although if course it's quite warm for January down here at the moment.

I'm sure there's plenty of winter left. But - spring is on its way!
    Angie

GC May 18 £326.16/£400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 £145.26/£250, pet & livestock food '18 £131.45/£300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 5,502 Posts
    • 59,066 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    How lovely, thriftwizard!

I'd like to visit one of the gardens that has a good show of snowdrops every year (I mean the ones you have to pay to go into), but they are all too far away from us to go there and back in one day.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 15th Jan 18, 12:50 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Just back from a quick shop, as OH now has flu. Topped up with tissues, Paracetamol, cough mixture (I had a half bottle, but years out of date as we haven't needed any for ages). Also oranges for fresh juice.

Had a word with pharmacist to reinforce my advice that Sudafed should not be taken by hypertensive people, no matter how stubborn they are.

Local sm was out of 'smooth' paracetamol tablets, Chemist only had the expensive capsules, all complaining it's due to high demand. It's a nuisance having to traipse round buying separate packets but I now have enough for 6 days if needed. I hope the paracetamol manufacturers realise they need to increase production.

Funny weather, quite warm at 9 C, roads flooded in places, heavy showers alternate with sunshine, rainbows, nasty, threatening black cloud over towards north Wales. 'Winter weather' forecast for later this week. Thanking Providence I'm over my flu to look after DH.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,824 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Local sm was out of 'smooth' paracetamol tablets, Chemist only had the expensive capsules, all complaining it's due to high demand. It's a nuisance having to traipse round buying separate packets but I now have enough for 6 days if needed. I hope the paracetamol manufacturers realise they need to increase production.
    Originally posted by Shropshirelass
    Wow

I'm glad I have my new waterproof/windproof coat, but I was on tenterhooks going into warm shops and trying clothes on ... I think I've got away with it, as that was last Thursday. But *this* Thursday, I'm into London for a trip, and I can't/don't want to get out of it. Got to take responsibility, after all. I'll do what I can to keep on distancing.
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,030 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Paracetamol and ibuprofen are things I always keep in and in fair quantities too. They are so cheap to buy that I make sure we have around a dozen packs of each in the store at all times and they are usually very easy to get hold of EXCEPT when we have a flu or bad cold virus outbreak. I pick up a couple of packets whenever I go to Wilkos and thus we are never short of them.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 97,080 Thanks
    fuddle
    Don't pick up more than two packets at a time though. I forgot about that law and tried to stock up... instead I was stopped in my tracks.

There maybe a bit of a lull with paracetamol because there's been a push for the general public to buy their own cheaply as opposed to obtaining them on prescription. The problem here is that one pack of paracetamol doesn't really get a person through an illness period. One pack on prescription is more likely to and then some. I learned quickly to stock up through the summer as it's a faff for DH to stock up when I'm ill.

I just pick up a pack whenever I'm in Lidl as they're cheaper than the chemist.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 15th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 55,377 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Don't pick up more than two packets at a time though. I forgot about that law and tried to stock up... instead I was stopped in my tracks.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Oddly, some shops will let you buy three packs, while others will only let you buy two packs
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 97,080 Thanks
    fuddle
    All I can say is I didn't get past Lidl's self service checkout. The machine flags up with a red exclamation mark and sets the assistant light flashing while locking me out of the self serve process.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,030 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I buy 2 x packets in each shop that sells them if I need to stock up, circumventing the law!
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th Jan 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 24,827 Thanks
    jk0
    May I recommend this stuff for a stubborn cough. I always use it and it works better for me than anything else. Just put 10ml in half a glass of hot water and sip slowly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allens-150ml-Pine-Honey-Balsam/dp/B0040JRM62

• carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 15th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Oddly, some shops will let you buy three packs, while others will only let you buy two packs
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Our £shop lets you have 3, Wilko only 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

577Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter