Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 315
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Quote GQ:
    If you're gonna kick a$$, you need to be able to raise your leg high enough.
    Thank you, GQ, that's an excellent candidate for quote of the year, even in early January! And to that end, I'll keep on dancing...
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    I agree

I personally don't give a toss what the rest of the planet thinks of how I look, I'm clean and so are my clothes, usually neatish and try very much to fade into any background I happen to be against. There is so much in life that is very much more important than worrying about getting older and the thoughts of strangers about your appearance.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I agree with this too - I do like looking good, but that's for me, not strangers. And I don't make the effort often, it has to be said.

I read a blog every day that used to be FRUGAL IN SUFFOLK and is now IN A QUIET SUFFOLK LANE, a lady called Sue who had a smallholding and then her husband was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and they have been adjusting their lives and where they live to cope with the future and what it may hold for them.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks for this - I keep starting on that and then fading out. Sounds important.
    Retired August 2016
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 46,120 Thanks
    maryb
    http://attheendofasuffolklane.blogspot.co.uk/

one of the things she talks about is her problems with finding adequate lighting for power cuts. Mrs L I remember you mentioned the IKEA solar powered desk lamps you bought a couple of years ago. Are they still going strong?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 164,086 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi Mary, sadly not and I've been to Ikea today and not a sniff of solar lighting that isn't strings of fairy lights. The old style reading lamps were called SUNNAN and I see them occasionally on E.Bay and the newer lanterns were SOLVINDEN so should you ever spot one either online or even possibly in charity shops/boot fairs they both work extremely well and mine live in full daylight on various window sills and are always fully charged up and ready to go as is my little wind up radio that has a minute solar panel and is the same as the one shown today on Sue's blog picture.

Keeping us warm is also catered for as we're lucky to have the woodstove (it's a CLEARVIEW INSET STOVE) which is the most sensible and useful thing we've ever put into a home. We shall definitely put another woodstove into the new house when we move and I've found one that is also a cooking stove with 'keep warm' wings that fold out to it's sides it's made by STOVAX and is the STOCKTON 11 Cook Stove which I'll give really serious consideration to in a new kitchen it looks fantastic.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 46,120 Thanks
    maryb
    I love our Clearview but I can see us having problems in future - not only does Saddiq Khan want to ban wood burners in London, which would mean only being able to burn smokeless fuel, but more immediately, the bungalow next door has been sold to a developer who wants to build a 'two storey house with a mansard roof' (so a three storey house) I can see them objecting to their upper windows being close to our chimney (because I am sure they will build right up to the boundary)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks Mary. And today's post is specifically about preparedness! But she's got a lot on her plate, that's for sure
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 164,086 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Perhaps the planning department would be open to listening to your input re the chimney and as a pre-existing feature that would only be fair. I know planners have to consider all possibles but it wouldn't hurt to flag it up as a potential problem when they have their planning meeting to decide what can go on the plot. Another bungalow which wouldn't be affected by the smoke would seem like a sensible solution. Good luck, let us know how it all goes.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 164,086 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Prepping comes in many individual guises, each of us has their own priorities and ideas as to what we prep for and how we go about it, what we store or not and what we consider to be essential bits of kit and knowledge to enable us to get through whatever happens in our lives. I've been lucky to have enough space (and a spare room that is used as a store room for big bits of equipment) to accommodate food stores and stored water in fair old quantities, as well as all the peripheries like the solar lighting and gas cylinders/stoves etc. that I've deemed necessary for the two of us. We are now looking to move to another area to be closer to both daughters and their families and also looking to downsize to a smaller house so now I have the dilemma of having to decide what IS and ISN'T a necessity for surviving what I prep for. I know we'll have less storage space if we downsize to a 3 bed and there will be no spare room for all my clutter let alone the prepping stuff so I've got to do the exercise of deciding what I will actually NEED rather than keeping everything and all the books that I have at the moment. How do I prioritise? what is the actual reason that YOU prep for and what is essential stores and equipment for you?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 11th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 6,354 Posts
    • 97,161 Thanks
    fuddle
    Oh dear. It's kind of like the student telling the teacher!

I live by earth, fire and water. I need food and water, my home, warmth and my health. My preps are to keep us all in our home and if any financial difficulty came along we could weather the storm.

My kit is about day to day living and doing and it's basic in terms of not got much but my kitchen is fully functioning, modern - to a basic level, and I have it so I use all space available which means cupboards on every available space, floor to very high ceiling.

I don't hoard. Everything has to be useful and be present. It has to earns it's space in storage. By that I mean the more we store the less my walls breathe and that could be a problem in this old house.

Everything is neat and tidy because it helps with my tidy mind and a tidy mind, for.me, is a calmer one.

The last house was so spacious but no storage. In this tiny house I have ample kitchen cupboards, a cupboard under the stairs and a cupboard in our bedroom. For me, that is ample storage if you're canny about it.

There is no greater feeling, for me, than knowing exactly where something is and putting my hands on it. Organisation is the key.

Essential stores? For us it's food, water, wood and coal, medication, clothing, cleaning, tools and a financial back up. Anything and everything that aids us to live simply, warmly, comfortably and safely.

I think your food processing kit is a must to keep and anything you have in terms of water storage or purifying is a must too.

You know I've moved house a lot and each time I love to sort and pack up. Each time I only take what I really need or really love. It's cathartic.

I'd love to hear what is important for other people too.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I shall have to think about that!

Basically, the preps that I have are like fuddle's, except I don't think of "wood and coal", I think of "fuel" in general. And I'd add books about various skills - from knitting to gardening, to travelling under less than ideal conditions.

As for what is the actual reason I prep for?
    1 - Long periods of illness, like when I had chronic fatigue, and even ordering and putting away a supermarket delivery was too challenging.
    2 - as an extension of that, pandemics (I'm very nearly going into pandemic mode now, with Aussie flu, but I'm not, I'm still out and about).
    3 - economic downturn. Personally, I'm in my very own economic downturn, because of previous ill health and current rubbish stamina, but I think about a more general one too.
    4 - I keep my ears open about terrorism, though I don't think there's much you can do, except after an attack to keep close to home until they're caught or dead.
    5 - weather events. That's pretty simple, if I'm already prepped for long periods of illness.
    6 - bad patches of volcanic dust thanks to Iceland (my entire preps for this are 4 rolls of clingfilm, so that the sharp dust doesn't get into the body of my electronic gear ). I think I got that from USGS.
    7 - anything else is zombies
    Retired August 2016
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 164,086 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I prep for the unexpected, things that come out of the blue and stop everyday routine be they power cuts, illness, environmental happenings or even strikes that touch every day life and make it less ordered. I remember the bin men being on strike and the rubbish piling up in the streets, how we didn't get plagues of rats and illness is a mystery. I also prepare for weather glitches and as we're in a village that only has one bus running through it and there is only one road in and one road out if we get icy conditions often the busses just don't come here so having meds and things like matches, candles, soap, tea, food etc. really is sensible. Now I know we live in warmer southern Hampshire so we don't get snowed in to the same extent as you hardy souls in the northern areas but we do get storms, big rain etc. and we do get power cuts and things of that ilk so we still need to think ahead and try to have in what we need. I have a small library of books full of useful things that ought to fill skill gaps in times of need but I don't currently have water purification means except a pattern to make a gravity filter so that's something to address. We have camping gear but not a tent, we have foil blankets and sleeping shelters that would be better than nothing and I know how to make shelters but that's if we have to leave the house. I'm more inclined to prepare for things that disrupt so we can stay in situ and make the best of things until whatever the problem is has been sorted out.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 11th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 6,354 Posts
    • 97,161 Thanks
    fuddle
    Do you know what I found the most disruptive and dangerous weather event to be down on the South coast?The fact that winds can be very harsh but the trees stay in leaf until the very latest in the season and become a rocking time bomb. It's very sensible to weather prep down there.
    Last edited by fuddle; 11-01-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 11,901 Posts
    • 229,668 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    But if Lyn's going to be in a three bedroom home in the future, surely that's two spare bedrooms and plenty of space for preps? Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick (wouldn't be the first time)?

Re preps; if the economy is functioning, money is the best prep. It can buy you goods and services, the strength of someone's back to move things you can't move yourself, the skill in someone's fingertips to do something you can't do yourself. Money doesn't take up much room and is easy to move around.

If the economy is malfunctioning, such as hyper-inflating, assets which can hold value protect wealth. If the economy has fallen over completely, you're down to such grub you can store/ grow/ forage/ hunt/ barter for and such goods as you have on hand or can barter for.

We need potable water more urgently than we need food, and we need food more urgently than we need clean clothing and other durables.

I have long had concerns that the very high standards of modern life, entirely dependant on electricity, have left many people at a loss of simpler ways to do things. An example would be that one's shower has broken. Some modern people appear to never have encountered the concept of a strip wash so their minds are locked into a false idea that no shower = filthy me. And that this is a disaster, an emergency etc.

Nope, not having modern conveniences isn't anything of that nature, it's simply being less convenient and less comfortable than one's wont to be in the modern era. Which is why everyone should go camping and practise doing what the proverbial bears do in the woods; toughens you up and makes you appreciate the comforts.

Picture this; a remote island somewhere on the edge of the world. GQ and Pal, who have been roughing it for some time, finally have to buy some beds somewhere under a roof (a B & B).

Exploring our new domain, I exit the bathroom saying excitedly; Pal! They've got a heated towel rail !!!!!!!! *does happy dance*

Pal: Great! We can wash our socks !
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• daz378
    • By daz378 11th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    daz378
    Hi hope i find you all well......with the increasing effects of automation on society we may find ourselves increasingly irrelevant factors of production and with software innovations may affect accountants, solicitors or at least assistants it will be interesting to see how government will deal with so much potential unemployment....... off to weigh in later SW and tomorrow morning a CT urogram lovely got 2 years left of current contract after being privatised cant have carers on 13 pound an hour 2 years to prep for a pontential SHTF
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 164,086 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Quite correct GQ we will have 3 bedrooms but currently looking at 1930's style houses to get us the garden we want and they have two decent sized and one minute bedrooms which will become the study (the tiny one)and He Who Knows fishing equipment store!!! The smaller of the remaining will be the spare room/have to store anything we need to keep room so I need to drastically reduce what I have whilst not getting rid of anything that we need as opposed to think we need. I've got loads of things stashed away that 'might come in useful one day' and that is what I have to ruthlessly cull along with all the home made preserves that are inhabiting quite a lot of the shelving in the current store room!
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 11,016 Posts
    • 62,162 Thanks
    elona
    MrsL

Could you build a shed out of off cuts of wood or get one from freecycle maybe? Would some items be safe in a loft?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 12,189 Posts
    • 76,433 Thanks
    kittie
    Gosh that is a tricky problem. I am definitely going to move into a property the same size or with potential to add conservatory and workshop. I have hobbies, I need to get on and do my carving, I want to get a band saw. My hobbies are very varied sewing, knitting, spinning and the wood crafts. I want to get a rowing machine to go with my rebounder and inverter. I look after my own health and body, I try to keep strong and I straighten myself out, expand my disc spaces and feel myself grow taller when I invert

Yes ok, I am gliding into my 7th decade but that does not mean that my mind or body stops and I am certainly looking forward to another 2 decades. I have three bikes, all different purposes. I use one at the moment because the lanes are so muddy, the other two will enable me to cycle much further and one will fold up to go in the boot, so I can go further afield. The lanes around the area I am looking at are far less muddy and go for miles and miles with hardly any cars

I have done the full MK and have re-homed the equivalent of a small house but that is it, finished. What I have left now is hobby stuff, allotment stuff, personal stuff like clothes, beds and bedding, grandchildren and family do come to stay. Furniture for different purposes, including one very good but bulky massage chair that I bought for my husband 12 years ago. It could go but will not need to, it can go into a conservatory. It gives an amazing massage and loosens me up no end

So I am not downsizing, I am going around the bend in the road, in a different direction and yes I want a large garden too. There will be time enough when I am old, to do the final downsize, until then I intend to enjoy my life and my hobbies to the full and btw they are a very good way to meet other people
    • dND
    • By dND 12th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 455 Posts
    • 6,513 Thanks
    dND
    Gosh that is a tricky problem. I am definitely going to move into a property the same size or with potential to add conservatory and workshop. I have hobbies, I need to get on and do my carving, I want to get a band saw. My hobbies are very varied sewing, knitting, spinning and the wood crafts. I want to get a rowing machine to go with my rebounder and inverter. I look after my own health and body, I try to keep strong and I straighten myself out, expand my disc spaces and feel myself grow taller when I invert ~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Originally posted by kittie
    You sound like me trying to downsize is a nightmare when there is so much I do and still want to do

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 142,586 Thanks
    mardatha
    Hope you've all prepped for flu? Got a load of Night Nurse and Lemsip and Beechams in ready so you don't have to crawl round the shops when you're dying?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 12,189 Posts
    • 76,433 Thanks
    kittie
    I am prepping myself ie taking extra immune supporting stuff, getting exercise on my own in the fresh air and am absolutely staying away from shops, buses etc. I have to do two sessions out next week and it will certainly be fingers crossed then. Flu hits so suddenly that there isn`t time to be buying stuff then so yes pre-planning is most important
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 12th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 6,354 Posts
    • 97,161 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm showing my lack of age here but has there been a flu pandemic where many people felt like they should hunker down in our life time?

From an old pro in pneumonia I would like to pass on what I know are my symptoms. I have it down to a fine art now and catch it very quickly. I have my history now and that makes me heard but it hasn't always been that way.

I know what my resting and ambient heart rate is. A rapid heart rate is my first sign that bacteria is setting in and that can exacerbate overnight. I have a machine but using two fingers on pulse points and counting is as good a way as any.

Breathlessness when walking the stairs means I know to take things seriously and is what makes me think 'oh oh' and if ever I feel even the slightest bit of breathlessness when walking from room to room on the flat, I seek help.

More breaths per minute or rather shorter, shallower, faster breaths occur. I know how many breaths I take per minute when I'm healthy.

Pain on breathing in can be many things but if I notice that I'm using my tummy area to help with breathing I know that all is not well.

I also develop shoulder pain, usually across my collar bone right at the front.

I never rely on my temperature as a sign of bacterial infection if I have any or all of the above and I regularly get pneumonia without a wheeze or even so much as a cough.

What I'm saying is my pneumonia has been missed many a time and I've been turned away, ending up in hospital a few days later. I now know to say 'My heart rate is 145bpm. My stomach muscles are needed to help me breath. My breathing rate has increased. I'm breathless walking slowly on the flat. I have excruciating pain everytime I breath in. My collar bone is sore and I have shoulder pain'. Last month this amount of information wasn't enough to get past the surgery receptionist and I was told to ring 111 as there were no appointments. 111 had an ambulance sent to the surgery because of my symptoms. Don't ever be fobbed off if you have the above. Store what I've said in the back of your mind and don't worry about it, but have that information to put two and two together to act quickly if flu turns to P. It's taken an 18 year old girl yesterday.

Vigilance and knowledge is how we can help ourselves. Sometimes the medical profession can only go on what we tell them. It's up to us to be listened to and there be no doubt.
    Last edited by fuddle; 12-01-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,848Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter